View Full Version : Big XII Tourney Bracket Set

DJay23
03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030506aab.html

Kansas, Texas Share Regular Season Big 12 Men's Basketball Title;
Championship Pairings Announced

March 5, 2006

Complete Bracket in PDF Format

DALLAS - Kansas and Texas have earned a share of the 2005-06 Big 12 men's basketball regular season title. It marks the sixth overall crown for the Jayhawks, and the Longhorns' second league regular season championship.

KU and UT finished 13-3 in league play. The Longhorns will be the No. 1 seed in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship by virtue of an 80-55 win over the Jayhawks during the regular season. The Championship is scheduled to be played on March 9-12 at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Oklahoma (11-5) and Texas A&M (10-6) earned the other two first-round byes in the championship. The Aggies have a bye for the first time since the Big 12 began play in 1996-97.

The entire Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship will be televised either regionally or nationally by ESPN Plus, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.

Full-session tickets are currently on sale for the event, while single-session entries can be purchased beginning on Wednesday, March 8 at 10:00 a.m. CT. Tickets can be obtained through the Ticketmaster and Big 12 web sites, by calling (214) 373-8000 or at the American Airlines Center North box office.

Thursday, March 9 TV Time (CT)
No. 8 Texas Tech vs. No. 9 Kansas State ESPN Plus & ESPNU 11:30 a.m.
No. 5 Colorado vs. No. 12 Baylor ESPN Plus & ESPNU 2:00 p.m.
No. 7 Oklahoma State vs. No. 10 Iowa State ESPN Plus & ESPNU 6:00 p.m.
No. 6 Nebraska vs. No. 11 Missouri ESPN2 & ESPNU 8:20 p.m.

Friday, March 10
No. 1 Texas vs. 8/9 winner ESPN Plus & ESPNU 11:30 a.m.
No. 4 Texas A&M vs. 5/12 winner ESPN Plus & ESPNU 2:00 p.m.
No. 2 Kansas vs. 7/10 winner ESPN Plus & ESPNU 6:00 p.m.
No. 3 Oklahoma vs. 6/11 winner ESPN Plus & ESPNU 8:20 p.m.

Saturday, March 11
Friday Afternoon Winners ESPN Plus or ESPN2** 1:00 p.m.
Friday Evening Winners ESPN Plus or ESPN2** 3:20 p.m.

Sunday, March 12
Semifinal Winners ESPN 2:00 p.m.

All times listed as Central and subject to change

** - Telecast shown on ESPN Plus stations in Big 12 markets, on ESPN2 nationally

Predictions?

big nasty kcnut
03-05-2006, 05:36 PM
kansas win ksu goes far and texas vs. texas a&m will be a deathmatch.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Great.

Texas Tech.

One and done.

DJay23
03-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Mine:

Round 1:

K-State d. Tech
Colorado d. Baylor
Iowa St. d. Okie State
Mizzou d. Nebraska

Round 2:

Texas d. K-State
A&M d. Colorado
KU d. Iowa St.
Mizzou d. OU

Round 3:

Texas d. A&M
KU d. Mizzou

Championship:
Texas d. KU

I threw in a few upsets for good measure.

leviw
03-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Anybody else gonna be down there for it????

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Great.

Texas Tech.

One and done.
Can I have your ticket for the rest of the games?

ROYC75
03-05-2006, 08:33 PM
OSU is starting to play some ball right now..........

Saulbadguy
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Great.

Texas Tech.

One and done.
That just means the coaching search begins that much faster.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
That just means the coaching search begins that much faster.

Not good enough. I endured Asbury only to be sold the snowjob that is Wooly.

We need to make a great hire.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Not good enough. I endured Asbury only to be sold the snowjob that is Wooly.

We need to make a great hire.
Altman was no picnic either.

At least Wooly did better than 2-14 in his last season.

Lurch
03-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Tough draw, but if the Kansas waltzes into the tournament winning games against OSU, OU, and Texas, they'll be tough.

|Zach|
03-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Go Tigers.

leviw
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Tough draw, but if the Kansas waltzes into the tournament winning games against OSU, OU, and Texas, they'll be tough.
No. They'll be tired. I'd almost prefer them to lose in the semis, get an extra day's rest and not improve their NCAA tourney seeding too much. I like this team to stay as far under the radar as possible heading in.

ChiefsCountry
03-06-2006, 12:51 AM
I just got back from the MVC tournament in St. Louis, my Bears did a choke job for sure. I can only imagine how much fun the Big 12 tournament is. Cant wait till its back in KC at Sprint Center.

luv
03-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm gonna say the Sooners.

tk13
03-06-2006, 01:00 AM
No. They'll be tired. I'd almost prefer them to lose in the semis, get an extra day's rest and not improve their NCAA tourney seeding too much. I like this team to stay as far under the radar as possible heading in.
That is prone to happen. Not every time but it's hard to win a conference tourney then run the NCAA. Sometimes you end up with a team like Syracuse last year... battled all the way through to win a rough Big East tourney, then got beat by Vermont in the first round.

luv
03-06-2006, 01:05 AM
That is prone to happen. Not every time but it's hard to win a conference tourney then run the NCAA. Sometimes you end up with a team like Syracuse last year... battled all the way through to win a rough Big East tourney, then got beat by Vermont in the first round.
May also be why you hear about so many "cinderella stories" in the NCAA tourney. There's usually one that gets focused on each year.

greg63
03-06-2006, 01:27 AM

Rudy lost the toss
03-06-2006, 03:09 AM
I have a couple questions for anyone who follows "bracketology". Will the Big XII get a 4th bid? Should the potential Texas A&M vs. CU game have an impact on that bid? I'm really pulling for A&M and I think they deserve it no matter what the outcome of the tournament. they have won 20 games including a 10-6 Big XII record, and their other loss is to a good Pacific team. They haven't beaten too many good teams because of the weak Big XII and pathetic non-conference schedule, but they have been on a streak that includes wins over Texas, Nebraska and Colorado in college station and some mediocre teams on the road. Has the Big XII ever had only 3 representatives?

leviw
03-06-2006, 08:44 AM
I have a couple questions for anyone who follows "bracketology". Will the Big XII get a 4th bid? Should the potential Texas A&M vs. CU game have an impact on that bid? I'm really pulling for A&M and I think they deserve it no matter what the outcome of the tournament. they have won 20 games including a 10-6 Big XII record, and their other loss is to a good Pacific team. They haven't beaten too many good teams because of the weak Big XII and pathetic non-conference schedule, but they have been on a streak that includes wins over Texas, Nebraska and Colorado in college station and some mediocre teams on the road. Has the Big XII ever had only 3 representatives?

I can't imagine that A&M is not a lock at this point, even if they did lose to CU or Baylor in the second round. They've won seven in a row, and Acie Law is a great player, which the committees love to see in bubble teams. But, like I said, I don't think A&M is on the bubble any longer. I could see them winning this whole thing this week in Dallas.

CU absolutley has to beat Baylor and most likely A&M to get in, although being the fifth team fying for a spot in the Big 12 helps, especially the way the MVC has fallen off of late. They may only get (deserve) four bids as opposed to six like some were talking ealier.

I could see Baylor beating CU, though. I think when it's all said and done the Big 12 will only get four.
-Texas
-Kansas
-Oklahoma
-Texas A&M

58-4ever
03-06-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm gonna say the Sooners.

I like that prediction, but we layed a giant egg in Austin yesterday. But, so did KU last week.

dr00d
03-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I can't imagine that A&M is not a lock at this point, even if they did lose to CU or Baylor in the second round. They've won seven in a row, and Acie Law is a great player, which the committees love to see in bubble teams. But, like I said, I don't think A&M is on the bubble any longer. I could see them winning this whole thing this week in Dallas.

CU absolutley has to beat Baylor and most likely A&M to get in, although being the fifth team fying for a spot in the Big 12 helps, especially the way the MVC has fallen off of late. They may only get (deserve) four bids as opposed to six like some were talking ealier.

I could see Baylor beating CU, though. I think when it's all said and done the Big 12 will only get four.
-Texas
-Kansas
-Oklahoma
-Kansas State

there I fixed it for you, :)

leviw
03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
there I fixed it for you, :)

ROFL

Took me a minute to see that. That's funny, though. Talk about bittersweet. K-State goes dancing, but Wooly gets to stay. Ugh.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
ROFL

Took me a minute to see that. That's funny, though. Talk about bittersweet. K-State goes dancing, but Wooly gets to stay. Ugh.
Sorry...I don't see the "sweet" part.

leviw
03-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Sorry...I don't see the "sweet" part.

They'd get in to the tourney and have the possibly of a 13 over 4 upset, maybe 12-5 if they're lucky..

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:19 AM
They'd get in to the tourney and have the possibly of a 13 over 4 upset, maybe 12-5 if they're lucky..
Please. You know, I don't care if Wooly wins the Big XII tournament (he won't), and has a miracle run to the Final Four. I still want him gone.

leviw
03-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Please. You know, I don't care if Wooly wins the Big XII tournament (he won't), and has a miracle run to the Final Four. I still want him gone.

The neck brace will pave the way to greatness.

Saulbadguy
03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
The neck brace will pave the way to greatness.
So will Marques Hayden, Nick Williams, and Dez Willingham. Hoop scoop #1!!! :rolleyes: