PDA

View Full Version : Ya know, ya'll....It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
In case you missed the Oscar for best original song...Yo....

:hmmm:

[Chorus 2X: Shug - singing] + (Djay)
You know it's hard out here for a pimp (you ain't knowin)
When he tryin to get this money for the rent (you ain't knowin)
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent (you ain't knowin)
[1] Because a whole lot of bitches talkin shit (you ain't knowin)
[2] Will have a whole lot of bitches talkin shit (you ain't knowin)

[Djay]
In my eyes I done seen some crazy thangs in the streets
Gotta couple hoes workin on the changes for me
But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night
Like takin from a ho don't know no better, I know that ain't right
Done seen people killed, done seen people deal
Done seen people live in poverty with no meals
It's ****ed up where I live, but that's just how it is
It might be new to you, but it's been like this for years
It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to this shit
I'm tryin to get rich 'fore I leave up out this bitch
I'm tryin to have thangs but it's hard fo' a pimp
But I'm prayin and I'm hopin to God I don't slip, yeah

[Chorus]

[Djay]
Man it seems like I'm duckin dodgin bullets everyday
*****z hatin on me cause I got, hoes on the tray
But I gotta stay paid, gotta stay above water
Couldn't keep up with my hoes, that's when shit got harder
North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound
Where *****z all the time end up lost and never found
Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head
They come hopin every night, they don't end up bein dead
Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too
You pay the right price and they'll both do you
That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin
Gotta have my hustle tight, makin change off these women, yeah

[Chorus]

NewChief
03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Good choice. It was an absolutely integral part of the movie (which was very, very good in itself).

InChiefsHell
03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
wow. a masterpeice.

...stop the world, I wanna get off.

What movie was this from anyway? I mean I never pay attention so don't laugh at me for not knowing...

MOhillbilly
03-06-2006, 12:25 PM
the first verse is much better than the second IMO.

NewChief
03-06-2006, 12:25 PM
wow. a masterpeice.

What movie was this from anyway? I mean I never pay attention so don't laugh at me for not knowing...

Hustle and Flow, which is about a pimp trying to get out of the ghetto through his music. That's the single that he puts on a demo to give to someone.

beer bacon
03-06-2006, 12:26 PM
wow. a masterpeice.

Good Night, and Good Luck.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
wow. a masterpeice.

Wallace and Grommitt in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Katipan
03-06-2006, 12:31 PM
They had the best acceptance speech of all time.

Gonzo
03-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Alas...A masterpiece.
I wonder if the London Symphony will be performing this during their spring season.

Mr. Laz
03-06-2006, 12:37 PM
wow. a masterpeice.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000008L6L.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

jspchief
03-06-2006, 12:40 PM
If you're close-minded about hip hop/rap, you'll probably hate the movie and disagree with the song's nomination.
If you like hip hop and rap, or have an open mind about such things, you'll be more likely to enjoy the movie, and relate to how the song is such an integral part of it.

I thought it was a very good movie. I don't know many of the other songs that were nominated, so I can't comment on how deserving it was over them. But I can see how it garnered consideration.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Good choice. It was an absolutely integral part of the movie (which was very, very good in itself).

Agreed. Im tired of songs winning or getting nominated just because they played over the end credits or in the background of some montage in a movie.

bogie
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
If you're close-minded about hip hop/rap, you'll probably hate the movie and disagree with the song's nomination.
If you like hip hop and rap, or have an open mind about such things, you'll be more likely to enjoy the movie, and relate to how the song is such an integral part of it.

I thought it was a very good movie. I don't know many of the other songs that were nominated, so I can't comment on how deserving it was over them. But I can see how it garnered consideration.

I'm pretty closed minded about rap. From what I hear in rap it's all about gangsters and killing. Obviously I don't listen to rap. But I thought the movie was great and the song was an important part of the movie.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Whatever merit the song may have, however qualified the song was to win the award, let me say this:
LIVE RAP IS HORRIBLE TO HEAR.
Rap is a product of the studio, where the mixing ansd sampling and engineering can make the noises into a song.
A group of men screaming, whoofing, rasping, and yelling sophomoric rhymes into microphones is simply not listenable. The audience was politely waiting for the torture to end. It seemed sort of like a joke award, or a special olympics kind of award.
John Stewart summed up the incongruity of the situation best when he said"Scorcese 0 Oscars, 3 6 Mafia 1 Oscar".

Katipan
03-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Live rap is fine if you know all the words already.

Logical
03-06-2006, 12:52 PM
There were only three songs nominated (that happened in several categories this year) one was by Dolly Parton for the transengendered movie. The other was so unforgettable I cannot even recall it. Of the three this was definitely the best.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 12:53 PM
The audience was politely waiting for the torture to end.The audience sucked. They didn't have a clue all night.

Triple Six deserve something like this, after working their asses off for so long. I don't care what out-of-touch fogeys think about it.

"Memphis, Tennessee baby!"

NewChief
03-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Whatever merit the song may have, however qualified the song was to win the award, let me say this:
Rap is a product of the studio, where the mixing ansd sampling and engineering can make the noises into a song.
A group of men screaming, whoofing, rasping, and yelling sophomoric rhymes into microphones is simply not listenable. The audience was politely waiting for the torture to end. It seemed sort of like a joke award, or a special olympics kind of award.
John Stewart summed up the incongruity of the situation best when he said"Scorcese 0 Oscars, 3 6 Mafia 1 Oscar".

I do agree that many rappers lose something in the live performance. That being said, I've also seen some hip hop acts who were absolutely excellent live. As with most "pop" music, the more popular stuff is way overproduced in the studio and the performers fall way short when they're asked to take their show live (look at the Rolling Stones at the Superbowl, or any other pop act that doesn't lip synch their act). Just as with rock, many of the independent groups and artists depend on their live show as a major part of their livelihood, therefore they actually can perform live and sound decent.

patteeu
03-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I really liked the movie and I really liked the song. I was rooting for it to win. Glad it did.

And I liked what Jon Stewart had to say shortly after Three 6 Mafia won that oscar. Something to the effect of:

And the score is Martin Scorsese 0, Three 6 Mafia 1 ROFL

patteeu
03-06-2006, 12:56 PM

:grovel:

MOhillbilly
03-06-2006, 12:57 PM

rap is so dry live, after 20+ years they still cant make it sound wet live.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Live rap is fine if you know all the words already.

I like a little rap. Curtis Blow, Fat Boys, LLCool J, Ghetto Boyz, PE, Cube solo, Dre solo , Snoop, Eminem, and Ice T are about the only rap albums I actually own. Of all of those artists I can honestly say that the only one I can even come close to listening to live is Snoop.
The rest, although lyrically pleasing, is audibly offensive.
It's not singing, its yelling, and that does not appeal to me.

Now if NWH would perform their "Fear of a Black Hat" album live, I would hang on every word. Especially "Booty Juice" and "Gorillas in the Midst".

vailpass
03-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I do agree that many rappers lose something in the live performance. That being said, I've also seen some hip hop acts who were absolutely excellent live. As with most "pop" music, the more popular stuff is way overproduced in the studio and the performers fall way short when they're asked to take their show live (look at the Rolling Stones at the Superbowl, or any other pop act that doesn't lip synch their act). Just as with rock, many of the independent groups and artists depend on their live show as a major part of their livelihood, therefore they actually can perform live and sound decent.

Great point. I tend to judge how much I like a band by their live performance. I cared nothing about the band Counting Crows until I saw them live, they were fantastic and I have liked them ever since.
On the other hand I really like Oasis' studio music but their extreme live suckage turned me off.

MOhillbilly
03-06-2006, 01:01 PM

a drum machine and a mixer is what it is.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 01:04 PM
a drum machine and a mixer is what it is.At least you didn't say anything about them only being able to scratch LPs...

NewChief
03-06-2006, 01:06 PM
a drum machine and a mixer is what it is.

One of the coolest smaller hiphop shows I saw had a "human" beat box who was freaking amazing. He did the intro to the Beastie's Paul Revere and it sounded exactly like the actual intro. The guy was amazing.

I also think that turntabilism does take some serious skills. Listen to the turntable dudes from Jurassic 5 sometime. They're badass and usually have at least one track on their albums that's just them tearing it up.

NewChief
03-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Great point. I tend to judge how much I like a band by their live performance. I cared nothing about the band Counting Crows until I saw them live, they were fantastic and I have liked them ever since.
On the other hand I really like Oasis' studio music but their extreme live suckage turned me off.

At one time I collected almost nothing but live music for this very reason. If they couldn't play live, I didn't really care to listen to them. I've backed off that attitude a little bit, but I'm still pretty dissapointed when I see a band live for the first time and they suck.

jspchief
03-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I also think that turntabilism does take some serious skills. Listen to the turntable dudes from Jurassic 5 sometime. They're badass and usually have at least one track on their albums that's just them tearing it up.I was thinking about that last night when reading the "scratch LPs" comment.

Is it that different from saying "all a guitarist does is pluck strings"?

It may not be an instrument in a conventional sense, but "scratching" isn't really all that different than any other instrument.

NewChief
03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I was thinking about that last night when reading the "scratch LPs" comment.

It may not be an instrument in a conventional sense, but "scratching" isn't really all that different than any other instrument.

On top of that, matching beats (segueing one song into the next) is extremely difficult, though digital decks have made it much easier than it was when you relied on actual turn tables.

Simply Red
03-06-2006, 01:14 PM

I am open-minded regarding hip-hop. I go back to when hip-hop originated and rode it all the way into year 2000. I AM open minded, but not so much that is causes my brains to fall out. Pathetic rap group and song in my opinion. Also an "F" for originality. As for the movie? can't say have not seen it.

SquirrellyBastard
03-06-2006, 01:14 PM
This lyric caught my eye:
"North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound"

Being that I currently live in downtown Memphis. I'll be sure to avoid 7th street at all costs.

go bowe
03-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I am open-minded regarding hip-hop. I go back to when hip-hop originated and rode it all the way into year 2000. I AM open minded, but not so much that is causes my brains to fall out. Pathetic rap group and song in my opinion. Also an "F" for originality. As for the movie? can't say have not seen it. my two twenty-something sons, who are really into rap, both sneered when 36 won the oscar...

they say that group generally sucks and that the song, which they first heard during the oscars, sucked big time...

they thought it was nice that a rap song won something, but that they could have found like 10,000 raps songs that are much better...

personally, i like martha and the vandellas...

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 01:31 PM
This lyric caught my eye:
"North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound"

Being that I currently live in downtown Memphis. I'll be sure to avoid 7th street at all costs.
http://northmemphis.ytmnd.com/

(Note: Picture not representative of North Memphis area.)

they say that group generally sucks and that the song, which they first heard during the oscars, sucked big time...Your sons clearly haven't heard much Three 6. I like cerebral rappers as much as the next girl, don't get me wrong, but sometimes ignance is just plain entertaining. And Triple Six is nothing if not fun. They're catchy bastards, and true forerunners of crunk.

jspchief
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I am open-minded regarding hip-hop. I go back to when hip-hop originated and rode it all the way into year 2000. I AM open minded, but not so much that is causes my brains to fall out. Pathetic rap group and song in my opinion. Also an "F" for originality. As for the movie? can't say have not seen it. I recommend seeing the movie. If you see how it fits within the context of the movie, I think you may understand better.

I'm not sure I would have liked the song without the movie. But the award it won was original song for a motion picture. I guess I look at the award as the the song within it's context. It's nothing that would win a Grammy.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 01:36 PM
NWH. Awesome. One Fear of a Black Hat reference and I forget everything else in the thread.

Simply Red
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I recommend seeing the movie. If you see how it fits within the context of the movie, I think you may understand better.

I'm not sure I would have liked the song without the movie. But the award it won was original song for a motion picture. I guess I look at the award as the the song within it's context. It's nothing that would win a Grammy.

Ohh, Okay I will check it out.

irishjayhawk
03-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Aside from the horrible live performance of it (the background not the singing) In the Deep was the better song. Hands down.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 01:54 PM

I'm gonna rent it; it sounds interesting....

I don't see a lot of movies anymore, but I actually did enjoy BoyZ N The Hood, American History X, and 8 Mile. Hustle and Flow sounds good.

NewChief
03-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm gonna rent it; it sounds interesting....

I don't see a lot of movies anymore, but I actually did enjoy BoyZ N The Hood, American History X, and 8 Mile. Hustle and Flow sounds good.

It really is excellent. Terence Howard gives an amazing performance. If a person can watch the scene when the song first starts to come together and not get a little pumped up/excited/emotional then I'm not sure that person's heart still beats.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
It really is excellent. Terence Howard gives an amazing performance. If a person can watch the scene when the song first starts to come together and not get a little pumped up/excited/emotional then I'm not sure that person's heart still beats.

Having come from that environment myself (though purposely distant from it) makes these kinds of movies really poignant for me.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 02:13 PM
NWH. Awesome. One Fear of a Black Hat reference and I forget everything else in the thread.

Ice Cold: Right, but see actually that shit was supposed to be NWH - Fear of a Black Hat, then subtitled Don't Shoot Until You See The Whites.

Nina Blackburn: Of their eyes?

Ice Cold: Who's eyes?

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Wasn't that a 90s version of Spinal Tap for Rap, or something like that?

NWH? You gonna fill us in....or leave us hanging? :hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Wasn't that a 90s version of Spinal Tap for Rap, or something like that? [combover]

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 04:14 PM
[combover]

I'm a teacher, dipwad....I'm around HS kids. Duh....

[extreme]

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Kotter's last post confuses me.

chagrin
03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Did I read that right? A pimp "TRYING" to get out of the ghetto? Because he is such a peaceful guy and loves people and wants to change his life through slapping chicks around and rapping?

Excuse me while I take my elitist white ass in the other room and watch M*A*S*H* for a few hours to cleanse my soul...

SLAG
03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
"Suck on my Knob like Corn on the cob, check in with me and do your job, Lay on the bed and give me head.. dont have to ask dont have to beg... "

Classic 3-6

Katipan
03-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Did I read that right? A pimp "TRYING" to get out of the ghetto? Because he is such a peaceful guy and loves people and wants to change his life through slapping chicks around and rapping?

Excuse me while I take my elitist white ass in the other room and watch M*A*S*H* for a few hours to cleanse my soul...

The movie has been running over and over again on AMC.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 04:30 PM

Watch the movie.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Hustle and Flow is already a classic?

Katipan
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Nothing gets by you, baby.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, AMC does have an original series called Hu$tle.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Kotter's last post confuses me.

What? :)

You gonna help my with my earlier question or not; Fear of a Black Hat? NWH?

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
What? :)

You gonna help my with my earlier question or not; Fear of a Black Hat?
Psicosis answered it.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Psicosis answered it.

NWH?

Now I'm confused....:spock:

Nevermind, though.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Heh... forgot about that part. NWH = N*ggas with Hats. It's the name of the group in that movie.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 05:01 PM
NWH = parody of NWA

Fear of a Black Hat = parody of the seminal Public Enem album, Fear of a Black Planet

Etc.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
F*ck the Security Guards

brent102fire
03-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Skinny Black reminded me of Tony Gonzalez, the rich, lost soul who forgot where he came from and turned his back on his supporters...I'm not good with Photoshop, can someone take a picture of Tony and put his face on Skinny Black(Ludacris)?

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 05:47 PM
"Suck on my Knob like Corn on the cob, check in with me and do your job, Lay on the bed and give me head.. dont have to ask dont have to beg... "

Classic 3-6For shame. It's "slob on my knob."

Watch the movie.Hush you. Movies about people involved in shady/illegal activities and trying to better themselves are okay only when starring a caucasian.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Hush you. Movies about people involved in shady/illegal activities and trying to better themselves are okay only when starring a caucasian.

Does it suck to feel so outside of society?

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Does it suck to feel so outside of society?Not really, no.

Care to explain how a movie about a pimp trying to escape from a crappy life through music has less merit than, say, a movie about the family of a mob boss and their attempts to stay atop the criminal totem pole?

vailpass
03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Not really, no.

Care to explain how a movie about a pimp trying to escape from a crappy life through music has less merit than, say, a movie about the family of a mob boss and their attempts to stay atop the criminal totem pole?

:clap: Good Answer.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Not really, no.

Care to explain how a movie about a pimp trying to escape from a crappy life through music has less merit than, say, a movie about the family of a mob boss and their efforts to stay atop the criminal totem pole?

Whoops I rep;ied before you added the question.
Answer: No I don't care to explain. Do you know why? Because I don't have to. It is the way it is and I am happy with the current system.
Spin in your angst all you want!!

(Besides, if you are seriously trying to argue that some ghetto boy half-baked film that uses unprintable words for 70% of their dialogue and 80% of their songs' unintelligble lyrics compares in any way, shape ,or form to the artistic achievement that is The Godfather then you are pitifully grasping at straws.)
Some people (you) will always feel the need to side with the weak and hate the strong whether it makes sense or not. Have fun with that.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 06:05 PM
So, basically, you're totally happy with having a double-standard based on race/class, and are so set in your ways that you don't care to ever learn more about what you're panning or change the way you think about things?

Some people (you) will always feel the need to fear and/or hate that which they're unfamiliar with, whether it makes sense or not. Have fun with that.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:07 PM
So, basically, you're totally happy with having a double-standard based on race/class, and are so set in your ways that you don't care to ever learn more about what you're panning or change the way you think about things?

Some people (you) will always feel the need to fear and/or hate that which they're unfamiliar with, whether it makes sense or not. Have fun with that.

Exactly right, it's like you can see inside of my soul. ROFL

That's it dude, fight the power11!!1!!
:rockon:

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
That's it dude, fight the power11!!1!!
:rockon:YAY

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Does it suck to feel so outside of society?
I for one will happily be outside of society right with her. Ya'll inside's some ignant muhfuggers.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I for one will happily be outside of society right with her. Ya'll inside's some ignant muhfuggers.

Her?

Taco John
03-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Wow. Psicosis ownage...

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Wow. Psicosis ownage...

Look what shows up. Did you smell the fake menstrual blood and just have to come a-running?

Taco John
03-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Heh... forgot about that part. NWH = N*ggas with Hats. It's the name of the group in that movie.

Ha! I didn't catch that the first time...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Nwa-straight.jpg

That's pretty funny...

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Look what shows up. Did you smell the fake menstrual blood and just have to come a-running?
stfu on the direction you're going, plz.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 06:15 PM
I remember being really really young and buying a boot legged copy of an NWA tape out of the trunk of a car.

heehehehe Every party I ever went to in Los Angeles... If The Chronic album was played every white male, rich or poor, would start reciting all the lyrics.

I don't remember a world without rap.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
stfu on the direction you're going, plz.

Uh oh, ith THENSITIVITY time.

THUPER!!!!!!!!!!!

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I remember being really really young and buying a boot legged copy of an NWA tape out of the trunk of a car.

heehehehe Every party I ever went to in Los Angeles... If The Chronic album was played every white male, rich or poor, would start reciting all the lyrics.

I don't remember a world without rap.

Without white boy there would be no rap industry. Period.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
stfu on the direction you're going, plz.He does this from time to time. It's funny in a "wow, that dog is really licking himself" way.

Uh oh, ith THENSITIVITY time.

THUPER!!!!!!!!!!!You are so funny. That is the coolest, edgiest thing ever.

Taco John
03-06-2006, 06:19 PM

Sorry man. Just because you don't recognize defeat, doesn't mean that others can't recognize when you've been defeated.

Psi nailed you, and right now you're flailing...

Katipan
03-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Without white boy there would be no rap industry. Period.

very good.

without black Jazz there would have been no white rock n roll.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
very good.

without black Jazz there would have been no white rock n roll.

Totally right.
How cool would it have been to be a fly on the wall in the sugar shacks and juke joints where hot jazz was born, the stuff that made Elvis??

KCChiefsMan
03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
ya I liked that movie a lot. Terrance Howard is definately the next big thing imo

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Totally right.
How cool would it have been to be a fly on the wall in the sugar shacks and juke joints where hot jazz was born, the stuff that made Elvis??
Pretty damn cool in theory. Unfotunately, I don't think flies have the hearing capabilities to appreciate it.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Pretty damn cool in theory. Unfotunately, I don't think flies have the hearing capabilities to appreciate it.Stupid fly hearing. Stupid fly eyes.

vailpass
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Sorry man. Just because you don't recognize defeat, doesn't mean that others can't recognize when you've been defeated.

Psi nailed you, and right now you're flailing...

You seem to be under the same delusion from which Goatcheese suffers: that the internet is some sort of battle ground in which victory and defeat is established.
In short you treat it like the real world. A condition very common in the weak, the tragically nerdish, and the socially undesirable.
Oh, and crybabies.
So you're pretty much batting four-for-four in the symtpom dept.; its certainly not surprising you caught interweb dweeb disease.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 06:26 PM
You seem to be under the same delusion from which Goatcheese suffers: that the internet is some sort of battle ground in which victory and defeat is established.
In short you treat it like the real world. A condition very common in the weak, the tragically nerdish, and the socially undesirable.
Oh, and crybabies.
So you're pretty much batting four-for-four in the symtpom dept.; its certainly not surprising you caught interweb dweeb disease.
I'm not sure if that means anything, but it hurts my eyes nevertheless. Please stop typing.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 07:42 PM

Well, sounds like I need to rent that...

VonneMarie
03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
This thread is the stupid.

Taco John
03-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh, and crybabies.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 09:04 PM
This thread is the stupid.

WTF? I was reminded of a movie that I wanted to see back in the 90s....forgot about, and now will try to find to rent.

That counts for a lot as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:19 PM
One of the coolest smaller hiphop shows I saw had a "human" beat box who was freaking amazing. He did the intro to the Beastie's Paul Revere and it sounded exactly like the actual intro. The guy was amazing.

I also think that turntabilism does take some serious skills. Listen to the turntable dudes from Jurassic 5 sometime. They're badass and usually have at least one track on their albums that's just them tearing it up.is turntabilism kin to autism? just wondering. are there any other words we can come up with to create the illusion of musicianism?

VonneMarie
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
WTF? I was reminded of a movie that I wanted to see back in the 90s....forgot about, and now will try to find to rent.

That counts for a lot as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:
What? :spock:

That came out of left field my friend.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 10:26 PM
is turntabilism kin to autism? just wondering. are there any other words we can come up with to create the illusion of musicianism?You lose.

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I was thinking about that last night when reading the "scratch LPs" comment.

It may not be an instrument in a conventional sense, but "scratching" isn't really all that different than any other instrument.OMG...I cant believe this. mozart is rolling over in his grave. skid roadie and mancow are now great musicians!!!! someone tell howard stern and ryan seacrest to put out a record. they could do a duet playing other peoples records at the same time!!!! perhaps dick clark could put out a cd of him playing a led zeppelin album in memory of wolfman jack.

KcMizzou
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Uh oh. Someone let the tard out again.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:38 PM
They're supposed to put locks on the playpens nowadays. I'm suing Fisher-Price now.

Miles
03-06-2006, 10:40 PM
ROFL

That guy in his avy is kind of fitting.

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
You lose.witty come back sweet cheeks. you still got a little of me on your chin. g'nite now, walk home.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 10:43 PM
witty come back sweet cheeks. you still got a little of me on your chin. g'nite now, walk home.

It's not nice to get it on the face.

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Uh oh. Someone let the tard out again.clean up your athletic drama prgram, then spout off sweetheart.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 10:44 PM
survey says the next endearment will be sweet nuts!

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 10:45 PM
I was hoping for sweet tits.

SLAG
03-06-2006, 10:45 PM
I was hoping for sweet tits.

heh me too

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
i do feel affection for sweet tits...

Miles
03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
clean up your athletic drama prgram, then spout off sweetheart.

Just curious, whats an athletic drama prgram? Is that some kind of full contact theater competition?

Katipan
03-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Dumbasses, sweet nuts makes him look faggy.

How long have you people been on the Internet?!

What was your first modem?!!!!

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 10:47 PM
i do feel affection for sweet tits...
I don't think it's genuine. I think you're overcompensating.

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Just curious, whats an athletic drama prgram? Is that some kind of full contact theater competition?whatever is going on in columbia isnt an athletic program.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
What was your first modem?!!!!

It was a 2400 internal... but, I must admit, I don't recall the brand. It was replaced by an Intel 14.4 internal.

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I don't think it's genuine. I think you're overcompensating.sweet emotion???

Katipan
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
hahaahaahahah I had a 1200.

I win.

I think.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:50 PM
clean up your athletic drama prgram, then spout off sweetheart.
WTF are you saying? Seriously, do they practice constructing sentences in your family? Have you guys even considered it?

ENDelt260
You always win, honey.

DomerNKC
sweet shop...no too kathie lee

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Just curious, whats an athletic drama prgram? Is that some kind of full contact theater competition?
I would rule at that. I'm an actor and one Hell of a floor hocky defender.

Reaper16
WTF are you saying? Seriously, do they practice constructing sentences in your family? Have you guys even considered it?
n/m, it was a shot at MU. Or something.

Katipan
i bet that last post of his is really funny. but i dont get it.

is he talking about kathie lee's vagina?

DomerNKC
WTF are you saying? Seriously, do they practice constructing sentences in your family? Have you guys even considered it?sorry...here is the "o" i forgot. stick it for me.

KcMizzou
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
i bet that last post of his is really funny. but i dont get it.

is he talking about kathie lee's vagina?Kathy Lee's line of clothing was being manufactured in sweat shops...

Or it could be the vagina thing... who am I to say?

Katipan
03-06-2006, 10:53 PM
He just asked you to stick his O

DomerNKC
I would rule at that. I'm an actor and one Hell of a floor hocky defender.do you need an "e"? an english teacher i presume.

Katipan
Kathy Lee's line of clothing was being manufactured in sweat shops...

what a slut.

KcMizzou
He just asked you to stick his OROFL

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Kathy Lee's line of clothing was being manufactured in sweat shops...

Hey, it's hard out there for a pimp.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:54 PM
He just asked you to stick his O
He wouldn't want that. I just got done scratching LPs.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:56 PM
do you need an "e"? an english teacher i presume.
Its the internet; typos are commonplace.

I was confused at what the hell you meant by athletic drama program until you explained.

DomerNKC
cd scratching is the next art.

Reaper16
I'll also add that your subsequent posts have been no less cryptic. They're like Stevieray posts in D.C. but without a good point behind them. :)

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Its the internet; typos are commonplace.

I was confused at what the hell you meant by athletic drama program until you explained.ROFLROFLROFLsorry

Katipan
03-06-2006, 10:58 PM
He wouldn't want that. I just got done scratching LPs.

Do you really do that? I want a theme song I can play during sex that chants my name at various intervals.

OOOOoo Like "We are the champions"

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I'll also add that your subsequent posts have been no less cryptic. They're like Stevieray posts in D.C. but without a good point behind them. :)didnt kapitan already say that the cryptic was an album by nwa?

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Do you really do that? I want a theme song I can play during sex that chants my name at various intervals.

OOOOoo Like "We are the champions"
No. But Mike Jones can hook you up. His phone number is (281) 330-8004.

I'm serious, if he does it for strippers, he'd certainly do it for a classy gal like you.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:02 PM
didnt kapitan already say that the cryptic was an album by nwa?
Heh. "The Chronic." Close though. You should give that one a listen.

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I'll also add that your subsequent posts have been no less cryptic. They're like Stevieray posts in D.C. but without a good point behind them. :)ill try simple sentence structure so you can keep up...or ill just type s l o w e r.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
The Chronic is what happened when white people started liking NWA.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:06 PM
*sigh* There's so much drama in the LBC...

listopencil
03-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Where's the love for Rapper's Delight, bitches?

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Heh. "The Chronic." Close though. You should give that one a listen.good night, its been fun again. im starting to like you more every day.:Peace:let it be said that most of the time i argue just for the fun of it.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:08 PM
ill try simple sentence structure so you can keep up...or ill just type s l o w e r.
For example: "sweet shop...no too kathie lee"

No one knows what this means. Maybe not even you. :)

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:08 PM
oh oh oh!

I know what it means now!

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Where's the love for Rapper's Delight, bitches?
I said a hip hop hibby hibby to the hip hip hop and you don't stop a rockin to the bang bang boogie said up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogity beat

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:10 PM
oh oh oh!

I know what it means now!
LIARSVILLE :cuss:

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I thought N*ggaz4Life going platinum is what happened when white people started liking NWA.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
no see, instead of yalls dumbass choice of sweet tits or my fantastic choice of sweet nuts, he was going to use sweet shop, but it sounded too much like sweat shop which the slut used to run!

ismart

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Holy shit. My girlfriend is a genius!

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:13 PM
You're scared, aren't you.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:14 PM
You're scared, aren't you.
A little. But, mostly I'm just incredibly turned on.

Jenson71
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Just imagine how hard it is out here for his ho.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:16 PM
no see, instead of yalls dumbass choice of sweet tits or my fantastic choice of sweet nuts, he was going to use sweet shop, but it sounded too much like sweat shop which the slut used to run!

ismart
Wh... holy crap! You speak fluent "drooling simian!"
I'd say "color me amazed," but Crayola doesn't make a crayon for that.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Just imagine how hard it is out here for his ho.
Pft. She spends all day on her back.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Wh... holy crap! You speak fluent "drooling simian!"

She gets a lot of practice.

listopencil
03-06-2006, 11:17 PM
I said a hip hop hibby hibby to the hip hip hop and you don't stop a rockin to the bang bang boogie said up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogity beat

I remember walking down the country road in front of my grandma's house, trying to recite that song. I was probably one the first white kids living deep in redneck territory ever to attempt to rap. I still enjoy Old School rap, it's like poetry set to music to me.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I liked Color Me Badd for a week.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
it's like poetry set to music to me.
A nice decription, and one Domer should take note of.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I liked Color Me Badd for a week.
ROFL

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
haha... I wanna sex you up

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm surrounded by faggots.

KcMizzou
03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
When I was a kid, I really liked Warren G. I guess he just disappeared. I saw him recently on Snoop's "True Hollywood Story".

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM
And what God fearing American doesn't know the words to Regulate?

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:24 PM
And what God fearing American doesn't know the words to Regulate?
I don't know if I should admit not knowing the words to that song after the whole "I know Color Me Badd sang 'I wanna sex you up' and because of it my girlfriend thinks I'm a fag" thing.

KcMizzou
03-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't know if I should admit not knowing the words to that song after the whole "I know Color Me Badd sang 'I wanna sex you up' and because of it my girlfriend thinks I'm a fag" thing.I'd bet if you heard the first few notes, it'd all come back to you.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:26 PM
I'd bet if you heard the first few notes, it'd all come back to you.
The whole Warren G/Nate Dogg thing happened during a period of time when I wasn't listening to rap.

KcMizzou
03-06-2006, 11:27 PM
The whole Warren G/Nate Dogg thing happened during a period of time when I wasn't listening to rap.Ah, gotcha. Good stuff.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:28 PM
The whole Warren G/Nate Dogg thing happened during a period of time when I wasn't listening to rap.

All boy Catholic School, baby?

DomerNKC
03-06-2006, 11:29 PM
A nice decription, and one Domer should take note of.Man it seems like I'm duckin dodgin bullets everyday
Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head--that is much more poetic than when Sting says-"I wriggle like a fish caught on dry land, struggle to avoid any helping hand. I sink like a stone that's been thrown in the ocean, my logic has drowned in a sea of emotion. Stop before you start, be still my beating heart." simple is much easier for me to understand.

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 11:29 PM
All boy Catholic School, baby?
Whatever fantasy gets you goin', babe.

Katipan
03-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Sting had too many marine references.

listopencil
03-06-2006, 11:36 PM

No, that shit sucks. I'm talking about:

Hip Hop is prosecution evidence
The out of court settlement
Ad space for liquor
Sick without benefits
Luxury tenements choking the skyline
It's low life getting tree-top high
Here there's a back water remedy
Bitter intent to memory
A class E felony
Facing the death penalty
Stimulant and sedative, original repetitive
Violently competitive, a school unaccredited
The break beats you get broken with
on time and inappropriate
Hip Hop went from selling crack to smoking it
Medicine for loneliness
Remind me of Thelonius and Dizzy
Propers to B-Boys getting busy
The war-time snap shot
The working man's jack-pot
A two dollar snack box
Sold beneath the crack spot
Olympic sponsor of the black glock
Gold medallist in the back shot
From the sovereign state of the have-nots
Where farmers have trouble with cash crops
It's all city like phase two
Hip Hop will simply amaze you
Craze you, pay you
Do whatever you say do
But black, it can't save you

That's the shit, Maynard.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
No, that shit sucks. I'm talking about:

Hip Hop is prosecution evidence
The out of court settlement
Ad space for liquor
Sick without benefits
Luxury tenements choking the skyline
It's low life getting tree-top high
Here there's a back water remedy
Bitter intent to memory
A class E felony
Facing the death penalty
Stimulant and sedative, original repetitive
Violently competitive, a school unaccredited
The break beats you get broken with
on time and inappropriate
Hip Hop went from selling crack to smoking it
Medicine for loneliness
Remind me of Thelonius and Dizzy
Propers to B-Boys getting busy
The war-time snap shot
The working man's jack-pot
A two dollar snack box
Sold beneath the crack spot
Olympic sponsor of the black glock
Gold medallist in the back shot
From the sovereign state of the have-nots
Where farmers have trouble with cash crops
It's all city like phase two
Hip Hop will simply amaze you
Craze you, pay you
Do whatever you say do
But black, it can't save you

That's the shit, Maynard.

REPPERS!!!! Mos Def > all

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head--that is much more poetic than when Sting says-"I wriggle like a fish caught on dry land, struggle to avoid any helping hand. I sink like a stone that's been thrown in the ocean, my logic has drowned in a sea of emotion. Stop before you start, be still my beating heart." simple is much easier for me to understand.
The operating part wasn't that it was poetry. It was that it was poetry set to music

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Holy crap, I step away from the keyboard for awhile....and come back...and Brian and Mer are having foreplay all over the damn thread!!!

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

:hmmm:

Guess I should be "honored" though. Heh. :p

NewChief
03-07-2006, 06:24 AM
REPPERS!!!! Mos Def > all

Here's another good one.

Memories on corners with the fo's and the mo's
Walk to the store for the rose, talking straightforward to hoes
Got uncles that smoke, and some put blow up they nose
To cope with the lows, the wind is cold and it blows
In they socks and they soles, *****z holdin' they rolls
Corners leave souls opened and closed, hopin' for mo'
We know where to go, *****z rollin' in droves
They shoot the wrong way, cuz they ain't know and they goes
The streets ain't safe cuz they ain't knowing the code
By the foes I was told, either focus or fold
Got cousins with flows, hope they open some doors
So we can cop clothes and roll in a Rolls
Now I roll in a Olds, with windows that don't roll
Down the roads where cars get broken and stole
These are the stories told by Stony and Cottage Grove
The world is cold, the block is hot as a stove
On the corners

Hook:
(Kanye West)
I wish I could give you this feelin'
I wish I could give this feelin'
On the corners *****z rob or kill
And dyin' just to make a livin', huh?

(Spoken: Lost Prophets)
We overstated, we underrated, we educated
The corner was our time when time stood still and
Gators and snakeskins and
Yellow and pink and
? profiles ??

Verse 2: (Common)
Street lights and deep nights, cats tryin' to eat right
Ridin' no-seat-bikes, with work to feed hypes
So they can get sweet Nike's, they head and they feet right
Desires of street life, cars and weed types
Its hard to breathe nights, days are thief-like
The beasts roam the streets, the police is Greek-like
Game that is deep, we speak and believe hype
Banged in the streets has cop left for deep life (?)
Its steep life, coming up where *****z is sheep-like
Rappers and hoopers, we strive to be like
G's with three strikes, seeds that need light
Cheese and recite, needs and BE strife
The corner, where struggle and greed fight
We write songs about wrong cuz its hard to see right
Look to the sky, hoping it will bleed light
Reality's a bitch, and I heard that she bites
The corner

Hook:
(Kanye West)

The corner was our magic, our music, our politics
Fires raised as tribal dances and war cries
Broke out on different corners
Power to the people
Black power
Black is beautiful

Verse 3: (Common)
Black church services, murderers, Arabs serving burgers
As cats with gold permanents, move they bags as herbalists
The dirt isn't just fertile, its people workin' and earnin' this
The curb getters go where the cats flow and the current is
Its so hot that *****z burn to live
The furnace is, whether money movin', the determined live
We talk shit, play lotto, and buy German beers
Its so black packed with action that's affirmative
The corners

Hook:
(Kanye West)

The corner was our Rock of Gibraltar, our Stonehenge
Our Taj Mahal, our monument
Our testimonial to freedom, to peace, and to love
Down on the corner

DomerNKC
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
oh and ive got a similar one:
mary had a little lamb,
little lamb, little lamb,
mary had a little lamb,
its fleece was white as snow.
every where that mary went,
mary went, mary went,
everywhere that mary went,
the lamb was sure to go.
i've moved on from elementary school, now i expect better. c'mon fellas, it is nursery rhymes set to simple music "borrowed" from real musicians, so that undereducated, non musicians, could live the life of luxury that is given to talented musicians. rap is to music what professional wrestling is to Sports. As forest gump would say, "thats all ive got to say about that."

MahiMike
03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Touching. Really. Very moving prose. I think I'm a gonna cry... :deevee:

KcMizzou
03-07-2006, 08:39 PM
thats all ive got to say about that.Thank God.

listopencil
03-07-2006, 08:48 PM
...life of luxury that is given to talented musicians...

Of all the goofiness you wrote in that post this remark stands out. I was willing to consider that you just didn't appreciate the verbal skill and musical understanding that goes along with the creative talent that some of these rappers demonstrate. That's no big deal. Personally, I just don't get New Age music. It sounds like crap to me. To each their own. But this remark seems to insinuate that only talented musicians get rich off of their work and, conversely, so called musicians aren't talented if they don't achieve commercial success. That's way off the mark.

Ultra Peanut
03-07-2006, 10:10 PM
oh and ive got a similar one:
mary had a little lamb,
little lamb, little lamb,
mary had a little lamb,
its fleece was white as snow.
every where that mary went,
mary went, mary went,
everywhere that mary went,
the lamb was sure to go.
i've moved on from elementary school, now i expect better. c'mon fellas, it is nursery rhymes set to simple music "borrowed" from real musicians, so that undereducated, non musicians, could live the life of luxury that is given to talented musicians. rap is to music what professional wrestling is to Sports. As forest gump would say, "thats all ive got to say about that."OW MY EYES

Reaper16
03-07-2006, 10:59 PM
OW MY EYES
Sad thing is - he's not trying to be funny.

Ultra Peanut
03-08-2006, 12:58 AM
OW MY EYES
Ya know, ya'll....It's ... 03-07-2006 11:56 PM stevieray what was that term you like to judge peole with when they are narrow minded to others views? Ironic that you're a close minded hypocrirical blowhard! rep!

Shame on me.

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Oscar Winner Hits Angry Chord
'Pimp' Song Denounced for Exploiting Negative Stereotypes

By Avis Thomas-Lester
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 7, 2006; B03

When Christine Smith heard the song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" announced as the Oscar winner for best original song on Sunday night's telecast, she almost fell off the sofa in her Arlington living room.

Deborah Veney Robinson of Silver Spring had pretty much the same reaction. So did Juaquin Jessup of Northwest Washington.

"It was just like during the time when all the blaxploitation films were coming out with African Americans being portrayed as pimps and hos and gangsters," said Jessup, 51.

"It was another example of how they pick the worst aspects of black life and reward that. There are more important things in our culture that need focus more than the hardships of a pimp," he said. "The only place many people see our culture is through movies and on television, and at the same time, this country is experiencing an influx of people coming over here from all over the world, and the only thing they see of black America through the media is . . . pimps and gangsters and all of that. It's always some low-down brother or some welfare mother."

Particularly offensive to Robinson, 36, was the performance by hip-hop group Three 6 Mafia, featuring men dressed as pimps and women in the hot pants and rabbit furs of streetwalkers. "I have no problem with movies and songs being gritty," she said, "but I have a problem with something that falls just short of a minstrel show."

In many parts of the Washington region yesterday, debate was raging about the motion picture academy's selection of the theme song from the pimp saga "Hustle & Flow," starring Terrence Howard, to win the Oscar.

The song -- written by Three 6 Mafia members Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard -- beat out songs from "Crash" and "Transamerica."

The subject was topic one on black radio. Radio host Tom Joyner, whose show is heard on WMMJ (102.3 FM), fielded calls from listeners who debated the merits of the song, in which a pimp named DJay laments his lack of success as he struggles to make it as a rapper.

On BET.com, a discussion was posted minutes after the Oscar was awarded. By yesterday, dozens of people had posted comments.

"This was an exceptional night at the Oscars for Three Six Mafia's Oscar win," wrote one. "I am soooo happy as well for them. Barriers have been broken, as well they should be. " Not everyone agreed. "While you are praising this 'great' accomplishment we are being laughed at, mocked with an I told you so grin on their faces. I'm not being negative, I'm being a realist," another wrote.

Retha Hill, vice president of content for BET.com -- whose audience is largely African American, college-educated and urban -- said her Web site began posting discussions soon after the song was nominated because her staff knew it would be controversial.

She said the Oscar selection and the song should be put in context. It was rapped in the film by the pimp as he struggled to make it as a hip-hop artist, she said. He was telling the story of how he hoped to rise above his circumstances and improve his lot -- a classic underdog story.

"In the context of the movie, the song makes perfect sense," Hill said. "But if you have not seen the movie or are just watching the performance on the Academy Awards as members of middle America and you hear someone talking about being a pimp, it is very difficult for you to understand."

Smith, 41, said the performance, along with an interview she had seen before the program, where members of the Three 6 Mafia members wore metallic "grills" on their teeth, were particularly disturbing. "It was like 10 steps back for us," she said. "White folks like that. It makes white Americans feel more comfortable with us when they don't have to think of us as their equals."

Several people interviewed said they found it ironic that the academy -- praised earlier in the evening by actor George Clooney for breaking down barriers for African Americans with an Oscar to Hattie McDaniel in 1939 for her role in "Gone With the Wind" -- would glorify the travails of a man who earns his living exploiting women.

Erika Scott, 17, a Largo High School eleventh-grader, said she was a little shocked. "Growing up where I live, you see, all the time, people who are wanna-be pimps and aspire to be pimps," she said. "Knowing that there is a song that tells the world about what goes on with people like that was surprising, and I was surprised that it won. It made me wonder what the world has come to."

Robinson, who along with two friends runs a blog, "What Do You Know," with a regular feature cheering on African Americans who achieve in nontraditional areas, said she, too, was concerned about the stereotypes.

"It was a struggle for us last night because we wanted to root for the blacks, but the blacks were pimps and hos on the Oscars, so it was confounding," she said. "Image is everything, and we have to be so careful about the way we position ourselves in front of larger audiences."

2006 The Washington Post Company

Mr. Kotter
03-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Picking Up the Lyric but Missing the Beat

By Philip Kennicott
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 7, 2006; C01

At dinner, say a month from now, perhaps it will be your very unhip great aunt who says it. Someone skimps her on dessert, so she looks plaintively down the table, waits for a moment of silence and then delivers the line -- "It's hard out here for a pimp."

Witness the explosion of a new hip-hop meme into "white culture." Yes, it was a memorable Oscar moment when Three 6 Mafia won the best song for their musical contribution to "Hustle & Flow." And yes, the song has a catchy tag melody. But this is a cultural brush fire. Oscar host Jon Stewart seemed to know it, and started the jokes rolling.

By 9:17 a.m. yesterday, Kathryn Jean Lopez, a poster on the National Review's conservative The Corner Web site, said it best: "The worst part about the Oscars last night, of course, is that I can't get 'It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp' out of my head this morning." Not surprisingly, by midafternoon, http://technorati.com , a Web site that tracks mentions of anything and everything in Web logs, posted an explosion of hits. In nifty visual form, a 30-day graph of the number of times, daily, the song has appeared on Web sites shows what it looks like when a song sneaks in under the radar, then ignites. It looks like a ski jump from hell.

For a brief moment, the song had a double status. Within hip-hop circles, according to Elliott Wilson, editor-in-chief of XXL magazine, the Oscar nod was affirmation for a rap group known as uncompromising (even if they cleaned up the lyrics Sunday night and put "witches" where the other women used to be). At the same time, a vast new audience got hip to the song --"It's the talk of the town," Wilson said -- and sent it down the long road of appropriation and misreading that almost inevitably accompanies cultural objects when they cross over into the world of Whiteness.

Why this song? Why now? When "white" culture borrows from "black" culture, it doesn't necessarily borrow what it thinks it's borrowing. The real meaning of the song, its reference to pimps, its role within a movie documenting the often pathetic efforts at stardom of a pimp who also makes music, isn't particularly relevant. When a piece of cultural stuff makes the transition into the mainstream, it often does so on terms entirely different from what it originally meant.

In this case, it's because the song's most catchy line, "It's hard out here for a pimp," captures the peculiar quality of complaint without merit in American cultural life. We all complain, and complaint has so cluttered our rhetorical landscape that we mostly tune out the din of gripe -- except, of course, for our own complaints, and the egregiously unmerited complaints of people we don't like. Despite the evolution of the word "pimp" to loosely embrace all manner of "playahs," and a celebration of "pimp style" (see: "Pimp My Ride"), most of us still don't like real pimps. So pimps who complain that "It's hard out here" can stand for all those people who complain willfully, scandalously, about things they have no right to complain about.

For instance, the ultimate egregious complaint: "It's not easy being beautiful." Or a close second, "Being rich isn't everything it's cracked up to be." These are complaints from people we envy, and belong to one category of self-delusion. The pimp complaint comes from another place, from someone deluded not by his success, but by his antisocial status. But all of these gripes elicit a sense of bemused outrage because they are complaints from someone who has no right to complain.

Perhaps the line has resonance because so much of American political discourse is about determining who is allowed to feel properly aggrieved. Is it Muslims offended about sacrilegious cartoons, or defenders of free speech seeing their high holy delimited? Daytime talk radio has essentially evolved into a vast trading floor for the commodity of complaint. And slowly we drift to a new understanding of the basic social contract: Your liberty ends where my outrage begins.

A pimp complaining that "It's hard out here" has, in a single outrageous leap, passed by the issue of whether he has any right to grievance, and is demanding -- so shamelessly that it's funny -- all the perks and merits of someone who legitimately feels wronged.

The musical setting of the line, a deliciously catchy and melodic tag, confirms the scandal. The line that the conservative Kathryn Jean Lopez and a zillion other people can't get out of their heads is essentially a melodic ending, a sequence of notes that seems to conclude a musical thought. Yet it keeps repeating, as if the person who insists that it's hard out here for a pimp is continually saying, "Case closed." I'm right, end of argument, or as Samuel Johnson (who also had an infuriating habit of shutting down debate) might say, "It is hard out here for a pimp, Sir, and there's an end on it."

It's also the sexiest line of the song -- and was made even more so in the version heard for the mainstream Oscars audience. In the film, it is the addition of a female vocalist adding what might, in church music, be called a descant -- a line that floats above all the rest of the noise -- that completes the song, that proves that the rapper might, in fact, have what it takes to be a star, even at the cost of the people around him.

Melody and femininity are intricately allied, and the union of melody to another element, words in a song, or rhythm and harmony in a symphony, has suggested sexual union throughout music history. For an attractive woman to sing "It's hard out here for a pimp" suggests that the pimp has found sympathy, against the odds, in the form of a woman who will articulate his complaints for him.

But are we meant to take this complaint seriously? The line sounds so clean, so pure in relation to the thickets of hip-hop rhythms underneath it, that it has the stylized sense of being purely ornamental, almost baroque in its detachment from everything else around it. Like a swirl of sumptuous fabric draping from an unnecessary angel in a painting by Tiepolo, it's funny by virtue of its excessive prettiness.

And so "It's hard out here for a pimp" enters white culture, as so many black memes do, with a wink and a nod. Of course your great aunt sitting down the table complaining in an impeccably white way that it's not easy for a pimp isn't thinking about real pimps. She may not even know what real pimps do. But that doesn't matter. Black memes in "white culture" are vaguely scandalous, used with a wink and nod that say, "I know this is transgressive, but I'm not going to learn anything more about it."

Curious, then, that as news of the song's big win starting racing around the Internet, there was some confusion about the exact line. An Associated Press report began, "The Oscar people showed they were ready to embrace a song called 'It's Hard Out There for a Pimp.' " But the line was, "It's hard out here for a pimp."

Here, there. Inside, outside. The slip of the pen captures exactly how these things play out when appropriated across class and race lines. No one would ever say, and mean, "It's hard out there for a pimp," which would suggest actually sympathy for pimps, and for people out there, on the outside. But it's hard out here for a pimp, appropriated into white culture, becomes a way both to borrow the outsider's inherently cool status, while completely denying that any complaint from that place has value.

2006 The Washington Post Company

KCTitus
03-08-2006, 08:53 AM
...But it's hard out here for a pimp, appropriated into white culture, becomes a way both to borrow the outsider's inherently cool status, while completely denying that any complaint from that place has value.

:rolleyes:

"Whitey dont git it"...

Loki
03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Hush you. Movies about people involved in shady/illegal activities and trying to better themselves are okay only when starring a caucasian.

WEAK...

:shake:

InChiefsHell
03-08-2006, 01:03 PM
WEAK...

Extremely...

Ultra Peanut
03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
CLOWNSHOES

listopencil
03-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Invisible clown shoes of the gods.

Ultra Peanut
03-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Invisible clown shoes of the gods.WOOT WOOT

CHENZ A!
03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
rap is so dry live, after 20+ years they still cant make it sound wet live.

I like live rap, when they have a band behind them. If you haven't heard Jay-Z - MTV's unplugged album, you're missing out.

CHENZ A!
03-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Some more poetic rap by my man Saul Williams

Telegram to hip hop

I'm falling up flights of stairs, scraping myself from the sidewalk, jumping from rivers to bridges, drowning in pure air. Hip Hop is lying on the side of the road, half dead to itself. Blood scrawled over its mangled flesh, like jazz, stuffed into an oversized record bag. Tuba lips swollen beyond recognition. Diamond studded teeth strewn like rice at karma's wedding. The ring bearer bore bad news. Minister of information wrote the wrong proclamation. Now everyone's singing the wrong song. Dissonant chords find necks like nooses. That ***** kicked the chair from under my feet. Harlem shaking from a rope, but still on beat. "Damn that loop is tight." *****, found a way to sample the way the truth the light. Can't wait to play myself at the party tonight. *****s are gonna die. Cop car swerves to the side of the road. Hip Hop takes its last breath. The cop scrawls vernacular manslaughter onto a yellow pad, then balls the paper into his hand, deciding he'd rather free-style. "You have the right to remain silent." You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to remain silent. And maybe you should have before your bullshit manifested.

These thugs can't **** with me, they're too thugged out. *****s think I'm bugged out, 'cause I ain't Sean John or Lugged out. This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that. This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black. So where my aliens at? Girl, we're all illegal. This system ain't for us. It's for rich people. And you ain't rich, dawg, you just got money. But you can't buy shit to not get hungry.

Telegram to Hip Hop: Dear Hip Hop .(stop). This shit has gone too far. (stop). Please see that mixer and turntables are returned to Kool Herc. (stop). The ghettos are dancing off beat. (stop). The master of ceremonies have forgotten that they were once slaves and have neglected the occasion of this ceremony. (stop). Perhaps we should not have encouraged them to use cordless microphones, for they have walked too far from the source and are emitting a lesser frequency (stop). Please inform all interested parties that cash nor murder have been added to the list of elements. (stop). We are discontinuing our current line of braggadocio, in light of the current trend in "realness". (stop). As an alternative, we will be confiscating weed supplies and replacing them with magic mushrooms, in hopes of helping *****s see beyond their reality. (stop). Give my regards to Brooklyn.

These thugs can't **** with me, they're too thugged out. *****s think I'm bugged out, 'cause I ain't Sean John or Lugged out. This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that. This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black. So where my aliens at? Girl, we're all illegal. This system ain't for us. It's for rich people. And you ain't rich, dawg, you just got money. But you can't buy shit to not get hungry

NewChief
03-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Some more poetic rap by my man Saul Williams

Telegram to hip hop

I almost posted that lyric, but went with the Common song instead. That song is incredible, though. Hell, that whole album is incredible. It didn't come out of the CD player in my car for about 3 months.

StcChief
03-09-2006, 07:59 AM
The forgot the 'C' in the name.....

CRAP

listopencil
03-11-2006, 04:43 AM
"Telegram to Hip Hop: Dear Hip Hop .(stop). This shit has gone too far. (stop). Please see that mixer and turntables are returned to Kool Herc. (stop). The ghettos are dancing off beat. (stop). The master of ceremonies have forgotten that they were once slaves and have neglected the occasion of this ceremony. (stop). Perhaps we should not have encouraged them to use cordless microphones, for they have walked too far from the source and are emitting a lesser frequency (stop). Please inform all interested parties that cash nor murder have been added to the list of elements. (stop). We are discontinuing our current line of braggadocio, in light of the current trend in "realness". (stop). As an alternative, we will be confiscating weed supplies and replacing them with magic mushrooms, in hopes of helping *****s see beyond their reality. (stop). Give my regards to Brooklyn."

That's gold right there. Heh.