PDA

View Full Version : Free agency question

Hydrae
03-06-2006, 12:32 PM
When does free agency start? I don't mean what date or the fact that this has been pushed back for the second time. I mean I thought that free agency was triggered by the end of a contract. If this is the case, how can the league and union change the date the contract ends?

Mr. Laz
03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
i don't believe that each individual contract has a specific date.

i think they all say something like "at the conclusion of the nfl season"

so by changing the official end of the nfl season they change all the contracts.

Hydrae
03-06-2006, 12:43 PM
How long until a player files a suit against the league for this? There is no way they can just keep pushing the date out and leaving these guys hanging. I have no idea what the specific legal argument would be but I don't know how long I would sit and wait to be allowed my freedom from a contract that has been artificially extended.

Mecca
03-06-2006, 12:52 PM
How long until a player files a suit against the league for this? There is no way they can just keep pushing the date out and leaving these guys hanging. I have no idea what the specific legal argument would be but I don't know how long I would sit and wait to be allowed my freedom from a contract that has been artificially extended.

They're not going to sue because the head of the union is agreeing to push it back each time. In principle it's basically the union is speaking for the players so they really would have no case.