View Full Version : Gays brokenhearted over 'Brokeback' loss

BIG_DADDY
03-06-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/06/MNGICHJ8DI1.DTL

Gays brokenhearted over 'Brokeback' loss
S.F. crowd gets quiet, some cry as 'Crash' wins Oscar
Wyatt Buchanan, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, March 6, 2006

The single-word title of the film that won best picture at the Academy Awards Sunday night, beating "Brokeback Mountain," could perhaps best describe the mood at the end of San Francisco's premier Oscar night party.

Moments before, when "Brokeback's" Ang Lee won for best director, the packed house at the Academy of Friends AIDS fundraising gala at the Concourse Exhibition Center erupted in wild cheering.

But as Jack Nicholson announced the best picture award for "Crash," a film that received nowhere near the media attention of the cowboy love story, the crowd went quiet. Some booed, and others cried. ROFL This was supposed to have been the big "gay" year at the Oscars, with "Brokeback," "Capote" and "Transamerica" all vying for major awards. Many saw "Brokeback" as a kind of great gay hope for best picture.

"I felt like 'Brokeback Mountain' was a film that brought Americans together over issues of homophobia," said Grant Colfax, who hugged and wept with his partner, Rod Rogers, ROFL as the final award of the night went to a movie that instead explored issues of race. Although Colfax said he liked "Crash," he called it a safe choice.

Others were less diplomatic.

"I think that's an absolute horror," said Brad Bruner, who is a leader in the Golden State Gay Rodeo Association. "It's an outright sign of homophobia in our country. ('Crash') won no awards before this. It makes me sick."

Overall, the films with gay themes and characters fared moderately. No actors won Oscars for performances in "Brokeback Mountain," and Felicity Huffman did not win for her portrayal of a transgender female in "Transamerica," but Philip Seymour Hoffman did score with his performance in "Capote," a film based on the life of gay writer Truman Capote.

That win meant Hoffman beat out Heath Ledger's character in "Brokeback Mountain," although many people at the event, which raised $500,000 for HIV and AIDS community services, said Hoffman deserved the honor.

Despite the lack of success for "Brokeback Mountain," which won just three of the eight awards for which it was nominated, cowboy hats and western wear were high fashion at the party.

A movie poster signed by the actors and director sold for just over $2,800 in a silent auction, though the listed value was "priceless."

Gala attendees, who paid at least $200 a ticket, could get their picture taken with Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall look-alikes in front of a mountain backdrop.

Caralee Schmitt, who attended the event with her husband, marveled at the cowboy couture on display Sunday, which she had never seen growing up in Bozeman, Mont.

"My father was a cowboy, but not at all like these kind of cowboys," said Schmitt, who lives in South San Francisco.

Although the crowd was disappointed, people were soon dancing to Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone," and spirits seemed to have lifted. Some even gave credit to the best picture winner.

"In all fairness, it's not as though the gay films lost arbitrarily," said Mark Morris, who grew up in Idaho. "The other movies like 'Crash' -- my God, it was underrated, but my God, it was brilliant."

E-mail Wyatt Buchanan at wbuchanan@sfchronicle.com.

Count Zarth
03-06-2006, 03:56 PM
**** THEM FAGGOTS!

RaiderH8r
03-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Let's see, an emotional crowd with their entire social validity tied to a couple of rump ranging sheep herders cries when they get the shaft...hmmm...kinda like your first time eh Rod Rogers? Who didn't see this coming? Crash winning really put a wrench in their social validity PR campaign didn't it?

ENDelt260
03-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Although the crowd was disappointed, people were soon dancing to Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone," and spirits seemed to have lifted.

ROFL

Bowser
03-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Baby Lee
03-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Geez, I couldn't have concocted so stereotypical a story had I the malice to even try.

What's the maxim about the relative strangeness of truth versus fiction?

BIG_DADDY
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
"I think that's an absolute horror," said Brad Bruner, who is a leader in the Golden State Gay Rodeo Association. "It's an outright sign of homophobia in our country. ('Crash') won no awards before this. It makes me sick."

ROFL Ride him cowboy. ROFL

I guess if you're not licking his asshole you're a homophobe.

:deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 04:08 PM
You had to think there would be idiots like this. I'm surprised there haven't been more dumbsh*ts blaming Crash's win on homophobia. Give me a break.

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Although the crowd was disappointed, people were soon dancing to Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone," and spirits seemed to have lifted.

I guess they didn't have a copy of her "It's Raining Men" cover from American Idol.......

JBucc
03-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Obviously homophobia is not an issue for the acadamy. George Clooney won.

StcChief
03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Gay a$$ bastages Too F'n bad. :deevee: :deevee:

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
"It's an outright sign of homophobia in our country. ('Crash') won no awards before this. It makes me sick."

:rolleyes:

Gala attendees, who paid at least $200 a ticket, could get their picture taken with Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall look-alikes in front of a mountain backdrop.

ROFL

Sully
03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
A) The guy who said the movie brought people together was sorely mistaken. The backlash from it has nothing of the sort, it has just made some people's thoughts against homosexuality more public, and showed how wide the gap between acceptance and non-acceptance is.
B) It just wasn't the best movie. Good acting, but the story was just plain dull. Most people don't know this, because, let's face it, most people haven't seen it to show how much they dislike anything gay (odd, though, there has been no backlash against the movie "Imagine You and Me").
C) If you want to fight a stereotype, quit being that stereotype... I sure didn't go eat a Quart of Jamoca Almond Fudge when "Fat Albert" didn't win any awards (Hollywood hates fat people).

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2006, 04:31 PM
If you want to fight a stereotype, quit being that stereotype... I sure didn't go eat a Quart of Jamoca Almond Fudge when "Fat Albert" didn't win any awards (Hollywood hates fat people).

:clap:

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 04:37 PM
:rolleyes:Yeah, what a loon.

That's like saying Hollywood was going to give it the Best Picture award to push some sort of gay agenda...

Sully
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah, what a loon.

That's like saying Hollywood was going to give it the Best Picture award to push some sort of gay agenda...
LOL

4th and Long
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
THOOPER!

banyon
03-06-2006, 05:09 PM
To be fair...they are heartbroken every time an episode of Will and Grace is over too.

alanm
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
To be fair...they are heartbroken every time an episode of Will and Grace is over too.
What will they do now that it's off the air? :hmmm:

KC Jones
03-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah, what a loon.

oohhh thnap!

KC Jones
03-06-2006, 07:01 PM
What will they do now that it's off the air? :hmmm:

thame thing they do every night pinky....

wait tables and rearrange furniture.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Yeah, what a loon.

They would have, if not for the hullabaloo too. :)

Iowanian
03-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Someone should remind the Nancy Brigade that a big percentage of the voters for those awards are also..butt trenchers.

They just THINK they're getting brushed back....what about all the Tranny's.....and the movie about the broad, playing a dude who becomes a broad with a plastic clam......didn't win it either.

listopencil
03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
They just THINK they're getting brushed back....what about all the Tranny's.....and the movie about the broad, playing a dude who becomes a broad with a plastic clam......didn't win it either.

I'd rather watch Starship Troopers.

Simplex3
03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Now THAT is saying something. :shudder:

Garcia Bronco
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Every Oscar winner bought and paid for the award and nomination...that means it's a complete joke.

Color Red
03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Fact of the matter is, Brokeback didn't receive nearly the critical or public acclaim that the media made it appear that it did over the past several months.

Those disappointed for it not winning are more victims of the illusion that coverage of the movie has portrayed recently. To these, the loss is an upset. In reality, most felt it really wasn't that great of a movie.

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Fact of the matter is, Brokeback didn't receive nearly the critical or public acclaim that the media made it appear that it did over the past several months.

Those disappointed for it not winning are more victims of the illusion that coverage of the movie has portrayed recently. To these, the loss is an upset. In reality, most felt it really wasn't that great of a movie.
I disagree. I haven't heard from many credible sources that feel that way.
I still feel it was better than Crash. In no way am I upset at all that Crash won, however.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 10:53 PM

Yup. But the "we are tolerant" liberals who despise anything 'conservative' are bound to disagree....

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:59 PM

Actually, a quick search on Rotten Tomatoes brings up an 86% for Brokeback, rendering your statement incorrect.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Actually, a quick search on Rotten Tomatoes brings up an 86% for Brokeback, rendering your statement incorrect.

86% on Rotten Tomatoes renders the statment false? :spock:

Heh-heh, silly kids.... ROFL

StcChief
03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
LaRussa comment from Jupiter Fla. about going with his wife to Brokeback...she wouldn't let him leave in tent scene to get popcorn.....

Asked about the beaches in Fla.
Well at least it isn't Brokeback Beach.

beer bacon
03-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Every year is a big gay year for the Oscars.

oaklandhater
03-07-2006, 02:49 AM

How can any one hate Starship troopers.

MahiMike
03-07-2006, 06:45 AM
They all consoled each other by smokin the baloney pony

cadmonkey
03-07-2006, 06:58 AM

Well, except for "Best Original Screenplay" :shrug:

bloomer88
03-07-2006, 07:16 AM
86% on Rotten Tomatoes renders the statment false? :spock:

Heh-heh, silly kids.... ROFL

Especially when that 86% is only based upon the reviews of a little over 200 people.

chiefs john
03-07-2006, 07:18 AM
I know some people who have seen it, I have not. but i don't know any 'real person' who has given it a great review. they all have said it's just ok, or it's not that good. It seems to me that some people are promoting it in the same way a comic book shop would promote a movie about spider man.

by the way an 86% on rotten tomatoes means most people thought it was worth seeing, not that it's a great movie or deserving of best picture. and how can an opinion 'render' another opinion or anything else false

And the success of almost every successful movie versus that of the most critically successful shows that the general public has far different taste than stuffed shirt movie critics

Mr. Kotter
03-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Especially when that 86% is only based upon the reviews of a little over 200 people.

Wanna bet those 200+ people didn't represent a fair cross-section of average movie goers either?

Reaper16
03-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Wanna bet those 200+ people didn't represent a fair cross-section of average movie goers either?
That's the thing, the average movie goer doesn't know shit about movies. I've great respect for the critics in this matter.

8/10 avergae movie goers are more than likely not interested at all at discussing the finer points of cinema, they just want to be entertained. That's whay bad to average fluffy popcorn movies can do so welll; it's analogous to pop music. There's nothing wrong with that preference, but I wouldn't go to them for a movie critique just the same.

Kclee
03-07-2006, 08:42 AM
"My father was a cowboy, but not at all like these kind of cowboys," said Schmitt, who lives in South San Francisco.

Heh. Sure he wasn't.

Mr. Kotter
03-07-2006, 09:38 AM
That's the thing, the average movie goer doesn't know shit about movies. I've great respect for the critics in this matter.

8/10 avergae movie goers are more than likely not interested at all at discussing the finer points of cinema, they just want to be entertained. That's whay bad to average fluffy popcorn movies can do so welll; it's analogous to pop music. There's nothing wrong with that preference, but I wouldn't go to them for a movie critique just the same.

Well, that explains a lot.... ROFL

You know how I pick what few movies I go to? I see which ones the critics DIDN'T like.....but have done well at the box office. I go to the movies to be entertained; I all ready "think" a lot at work. Too often the critics seem to think, if a movie isn't deep or profound or socially significant, that it's not a good movie.

Don't misunderstand me: if friends/family/people-I-know recommend a movie the critics have applauded.....I'll likely rent it. I might even go see it in the theaters if the recommendations are enthusiastic.

BIG_DADDY
03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Heh. Sure he wasn't.

Is that the best you got?

bloomer88
03-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Exactly!!!

bloomer88
03-07-2006, 09:48 AM

This is where we are different. As a general rule for myself, I stay away from movies that the critics rave about, because I know I will end up hating it. The movies that the critics destroy usually end up being my favorites.

Kclee
03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Is that the best you got?

Yeah, I'm a little distracted today. First thing that popped in my head. I'll step it up in the future. :redface:

Bob Dole
03-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I all ready "think" a lot at work.

Bob Dole assumes you're not posting from work today.

Count Zarth
03-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I all ready "think" a lot at work.

I hope you aren't an english teacher.

Mr. Kotter
03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Bob Dole assumes you're not posting from work today.

Give me a break, already. The perils of multi-tasking; what I sacrifice in grammar and accuracy.....I make up for with "content." :D

Okay, okay.....some times (or is it, sometimes?) I don't. :p

I hope you aren't an english teacher.

Clayton, S.T.F.U.--already.... :)

Count Zarth
03-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Clayton, S.T.F.U.--already.... :)

Lick my balls.

Mr. Kotter
03-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Lick my balls.

Save it for Carrie.....

Count Zarth
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Save it for Carrie.....

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/4560/cloud93fh.gif

Mr. Kotter
03-07-2006, 11:04 AM
http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/4560/cloud93fh.gif

Ewwwwwww-yuuuuuccckkkk!!!! :banghead:

Keep those moments private, will you? :shake:

Now, go get the disinfectant....

Sure-Oz
03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Some dude asked Jake Gyleandehadnsldsnasdhal how it was kissing heath ledger, was it fun? He said, i wouldn't use that word to descibe it lol