PDA

View Full Version : Does Pandora act retarded for anyone else?

Reaper16
03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I finally tried this thing out and was dissapointed.

I searched for the band Ayreon, not that obscure as you can buy thier albums at Best Buy. One of the songs on that station was by Bronson Arroyo. THE BOSTON RED SOX PITCHER BRONSON ARROYO. covering "Pardon Me" by Incubus. I was speechless at how little the two had to do with each other, and that Bronson Arroyo recorded an album of covers.

Then I searched for something mainstream, my favorite band, Opeth. Among the results given were Bent by Matchbox 20 and Loser by 3 Doors Down. Neither of those happen to share any similarity to progressive death metal.

Am I just too kvlt for Pandora, or does it normally produce terrible matches?

Archie F. Swin
03-06-2006, 10:56 PM
I was troubled that Philip Glass wasn't in its database. Oh, and it wont play A Tribe Called Quest due to a label conflict. I remember setting up a station based on Flaming Lips and got some good tunage.

Its hit and miss I suppose.

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Sometimes, it takes a while for it to key in on what you're looking for. If it's playing crap, give the thumbs down (give it another thumbs down if it's an artist you don't want to hear on that station at all). If it's playing something in the ballpark of you want to hear more of, give it a thumbs up. Eventually, the reinforcement works.

Also, as I said in another thread, the results tend to be much better if you go with songs rather than artists. Today, for instance, I tried Telefon Tel Aviv's "Sound in a Dark Room" and got a ton of great results right off the bat.

Miles
03-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Can't get more f@cking random that Bronson Arroyo.

Wonder what you would get if you rated that one positivly. Maybe get some Jose Lima?

Bob Dole
03-07-2006, 04:54 AM
I was troubled that Philip Glass wasn't in its database.

They didn't have it at all, or they couldn't stream it because the greedy label won't let them?

Bob Dole has had a few "WTF??" moments with it, but overall it's kind of fun and only gets better over time as you rate and skip tunes.

NewChief
03-07-2006, 06:34 AM
I've definitely had it hit me with some music I didn't like or bands that I really hated. I like Pandora, but I wish I had an ability to go in and manually manipulate certain features.

I've also had it come up blank with the band I chose to start the station. If that happens, chose another band that's similar. It sounds like, though, that their metal database is a little shallow.