PDA

View Full Version : Is it generally bad form to quit via e-mail?

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm thinking about quitting my job (not the new one -- one I've had for a while).... I've actually decided to do it. I've been treated poorly the last few months and don't need the headache -- most of all, I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of all of it. Thing is, I'm so tired of it, I don't even want to try to explain WHY I'm quitting -- I just want to quit. Would it be bad form to quit via e-mail?

I know I'm probably going to get slammed for being a "pussy" and told to sack up -- I'll say right now, it's not for fear of doing it or what they'll say... I'm just so tired of it I don't want to "deal" with ANY of it anymore, not even the quitting part. I just want to be done with it.

JBucc
03-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Don't say anything to them. Just stop going.

banyon
03-08-2006, 06:23 PM
You should do it "Jerry Maguire" style with an e-mail circulated to all of the company's employess detailing every way that the people you work for are shitty.

Bowser
03-08-2006, 06:24 PM
It worked for Nick Lachey.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah, that's actually been a thought. But it's a church... I think that would get me a closer seat to Satan himself if I did that.

Saulbadguy
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I won't tell you to sack up and "give them a 2 weeks notice"

I'm going to tell you to sack up and go out with a bang.

Psyko Tek
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
If you don't wanna go back or need a reference,
f*ck'em quit however you like....

as long as it's legal

Bwana
03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
I won't tell you to sack up and "give them a 2 weeks notice"

I'm going to tell you to sack up and go out with a bang.

You want him to blow up the church? Naw, just stick with the email.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
No, I'll do the "right" thing and give them two weeks... it's only two days, really (two Sundays). I can handle that much more.

Saulbadguy
03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
You want him to blow up the church? Naw, just stick with the email.
Didn't see it was a church. Hehe. Whoops.

Fire Me Boy!
Unless they piss me off again -- they did that shit a couple of weeks ago and I almost walked then and there.

Simplex3
I wouldn't just in case I needed something from one of them in the future.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't just in case I needed something from one of them in the future.
Wouldn't what? Blow up the church, stop going, or e-mail them my resignation?

Bwana
03-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Didn't see it was a church. Hehe. Whoops.

Heh! Talk about a first class ticket to hell. :evil: :eek:

dr00d
03-08-2006, 06:32 PM
just write up a resignation letter and put it in their mailbox...depending on where you work, they are going to ask you for one anyways.

Mr. Laz
03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
don't burn bridges ... just go in on your day off a politely give your 2 weeks notice in writing.

then tell them you'd understand if they prefer that you quit immediately instead of waiting 2 weeks.

hopefully they will take you up on the option.

stay calm, don't argue ... just give your notice and leave

do it on your day off so you don't have to stay and take the initial crap.

ChiefButthurt
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Put your written resignation in the collection plate.

If it's a Catholic Church, go to confession and ask the Father how he would quit "this" job. AND then do the way he suggests.

Simplex3
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't what? Blow up the church, stop going, or e-mail them my resignation?
I'm going to have to go with "Yes" here, Chuck.

stevieray
03-08-2006, 06:48 PM
"Good evening everyone , since I'm celebrating my year anniversary of teaching Sunday School, I've choesn Brokeback Mountain as the film of the week to discuss..."

Bwana
03-08-2006, 06:53 PM
"Good evening everyone , since I'm celebrating my year anniversary of teaching Sunday School, I've choesn Brokeback Mountain as the film of the week to discuss..."
Oh damn! ROFL No need for an email if he went that route.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:00 PM
I know for a fact there's Bible references in Pulp Fiction.

stevieray
03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
I know for a fact there's Bible references in Pulp Fiction.

lighten up Francis of Assisi.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:09 PM
lighten up Francis of Assisi.
I was just adding to the Brokeback Mountain in Sunday School joke...

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:09 PM
And who you callin' a sissi?

hawkchief
03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
As long as you don't "go Postal", screw the ba$tards! I said "goodby" via e-mail a few weeks ago, and it was great.

Count Alex's Wins
03-08-2006, 07:14 PM
How are you being treated shitty?

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:15 PM
godkjlkfasjdfkljasldea, it's just a bunch of petty stuff that's finally got my blood boiling. Nothing major, just a bunch of little stuff... it's just not worth it anymore.

ENDelt260
03-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I did that once.

Then one day I showed up, and they fired me.

I learned an important lesson. Next time I'll just let them keep depositing money in my account every two weeks indefinitely.

Skip Towne
03-08-2006, 07:19 PM
godkjlkfasjdfkljasldea, it's just a bunch of petty stuff that's finally got my blood boiling. Nothing major, just a bunch of little stuff... it's just not worth it anymore.
You dumped the trash in the wrong bin, right?

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:22 PM
You dumped the trash in the wrong bin, right?
No, they apparently had a problem when I had the choir sing "Runnin' with the Devil"...

Count Alex's Wins
03-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Goddammit, we want to know!

ENDelt260
03-08-2006, 07:23 PM
The last job I quit I gave my two weeks notice via e-mail.

I would've just walked into my manager's office and told him face to face.... but, I wasn't entirely sure where it was.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Goddammit, we want to know!
Like I said, petty stuff. Like putting in a performance review that I wasn't following dress code, despite the fact that not only in four years have I never been told of a dress code, but one doesn't actually even exist... Decisions about my choir that really are MY decisions to make were made FOR me... those are the most recent.

Count Alex's Wins
03-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Like I said, petty stuff. Like putting in a performance review that I wasn't following dress code, despite the fact that not only in four years have I never been told of a dress code, but one doesn't actually even exist... Decisions about my choir that really are MY decisions to make were made FOR me... those are the most recent.

That's bullshit. Burn down the church.

Skip Towne
03-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Don't listen to buttscrale.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:31 PM
No, I'm probably just going to e-mail the pertinent people my resignation. If they have questions after they read it then they can call me.

Count Alex's Wins
03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
No, I'm probably just going to e-mail the pertinent people my resignation. If they have questions after they read it then they can call me.

OK, but your e-mail should contain one line and one line only:

SEE YOU IN HELL!

Iowanian
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
"FIRE ME"boy....wants to Quit...Ironic.

I got the video you made of work today.
NSFW site.....cussing in video
http://my.break.com/Content/ViewContentPublic.aspx?ContentID=9tKJmbk5O2ocvN%2bJ0xGfKg%3d%3d&ContentTitle=So%2c+you+think+your+job+sucks%3f&ContentURL=http%3a%2f%2fview.break.com%2f77292

Here is a better example of proper resignation from a job than an email
http://www.break.com/index/iquit.html (site NSFW)

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I've seen that video before, ****ing hilarious!

stevieray
03-08-2006, 07:49 PM

They didn't like the request of "it's hard out here for a pimp"?

bogie
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
So you're the choir director? What would be the problem with meeting them face to face? Maybe they will try to fix the problems you're having. Have you brought the problems to their attention with hopes they would resolve them? It is the employers responsibility to tell an employee what he's doing wrong in hopes the employee can improve. The employee should give the employer the same chance. It sounds like you're pretty much done with the BS so it would probably be beneficial to both parties that you leave. Personally, I would do it face to face. Very calmly tell them your issues, inform them you're officially giving notice. Offer to them that you would like to terminate your position today, but if need be, you will do the 2 weeks. That's JMO.

Bwana
03-08-2006, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=Iowanianhttp://my.break.com/Content/ViewContentPublic.aspx?ContentID=9tKJmbk5O2ocvN%2bJ0xGfKg%3d%3d&ContentTitle=So%2c+you+think+your+job+sucks%3f&ContentURL=http%3a%2f%2fview.break.com%2f77292

[/QUOTE]

That was good. ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
So you're the choir director? What would be the problem with meeting them face to face? Maybe they will try to fix the problems you're having. Have you brought the problems to their attention with hopes they would resolve them? It is the employers responsibility to tell an employee what he's doing wrong in hopes the employee can improve. The employee should give the employer the same chance. It sounds like you're pretty much done with the BS so it would probably be beneficial to both parties that you leave. Personally, I would do it face to face. Very calmly tell them your issues, inform them you're officially giving notice. Offer to them that you would like to terminate your position today, but if need be, you will do the 2 weeks. That's JMO.
Only "problem" with face to face is I don't want to deal with it. I indicated my frustrations in my resignation letter. But, yeah... tired of the BS is pretty much it. They could try to keep, but it wouldn't work. They can't afford to pay me what it would take, especially since this isn't about money.

Count Alex's Wins
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Sounds to me like you were getting peanuts and it wasn't worth it.

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
No, they really weren't paying me that bad for what I was doing, but it's still not worth it anymore, especially when I don't need that extra income.

listopencil
03-08-2006, 09:26 PM
What would Jesus do?

stevieray
03-08-2006, 09:49 PM
No, they really weren't paying me that bad for what I was doing, but it's still not worth it anymore, especially when I don't need that extra income.

Kind of gives new meaning to can't worship God and Money.

PastorMikH
03-08-2006, 10:02 PM
OK, just wandered in. What type of job at the church do you have?

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 10:03 PM
OK, just wandered in. What type of job at the church do you have?
Music director

PastorMikH
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Music director

Ah, I see. You are the problem then! :D

Just kidding!!!:):)

Is the problem the people you are working with or the ones you are working for?

Ultra Peanut
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Not if you sign it, "WELCOME TO THE FUTURE, BITCHES."

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Ah, I see. You are the problem then! :D

Just kidding!!!:):)

Is the problem the people you are working with or the ones you are working for?
Committees, mainly... but also congregation members. It's an old church, and the leadership tends to do what the older members want, no matter what it is.

Congregation-wise, things like telling me and my wife that we shouldn't kiss -- and I'm not talking like French kiss, tonguing each other, I'm talking a peck on the lips. And, for the record, we were married in the church and were told, by a pastor, to kiss.

Just general BS from all angles.

PastorMikH
03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
So are you planning on continuing to go to church there after you quit?

Fire Me Boy!
03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Not on your life.

PastorMikH
03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Then it really doesn't matter as much unless you want to do music ministry in another church. Even without needing a refference, news about how people leave positions has a way of getting around.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to go face the Pastor either, but I would out of respect to him and a desire to try and make the job better for the next guy that takes over. Regardless of what you think of the Pastor, he did allow you a place of influence in his church to minister and should be given the courtesy of you telling him in person that you want to resign the position.

Just my 2 cents.

Miles
03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Eh just quit the right way. Even for jobs I don't care about I always prefer to leave on good terms. It being a church would make it seem ever more like you should quit in person.

PastorMikH summed it up better than I did anyways.

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I called the powers that be this afternoon and gave them an "in person" heads up the resignation was coming.

bogie
03-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I called the powers that be this afternoon and gave them an "in person" heads up the resignation was coming.

A call is much better than email. How did the conversation go? Did they ask to meet with you, or just accept it?