PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Missouri Valley

banyon
03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Syracuse 49 UCONN 39 15 min left

Gwash 34 Temple 42 14 min left

cements Syracuse's at-large bid. Gives another team a shot at eh A-10's auto bid.

I'm surprised at UCONN

ct
03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
15 minutes left, and this cements a bid? Ya know, KC kicked Philly's ass until there was 15 minutes left, and that 1 victory would have put us in the playoffs. does that count too?

sedated
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
UConn has played pretty luke warm recently, and had close calls against teams they shouldn't.

I wonder if it's just them looking ahead, or if teams have figured them out

banyon
03-09-2006, 12:50 PM
15 minutes left, and this cements a bid? Ya know, KC kicked Philly's ass until there was 15 minutes left, and that 1 victory would have put us in the playoffs. does that count too?

I left out the (understood) "potentially" cements.

Apologies.

Update 65-61 Cuse 5 minutes. looks like coryt is right. sorry if I jumped the gun.

ct
03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
You still may be right, just that 15 minutes a long damn time.

And BTW, I think the Valley is gonna be dissappointed anyway. They keep hoping for 5 bids, I'm not convinced they'll get 4.

banyon
03-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Wow what a big 3 by McNamara to take it to OT.

Gwash is done.

Saulbadguy
03-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Go OWLS!

StcChief
03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Don't be dissing the Valley yet.

banyon
03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Cuse win in OT. Great game.

duncan_idaho
03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
How secure are you SMS people feeling now? And the conference tourneys are just beginning...

banyon
03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Don't be dissing the Valley yet.

I'm not dissing the Valley but a team like Mizz. St.'s bid is entirely dependent on how the major conferene tourneys go.

These two games did not go their way.

duncan_idaho
03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm not dissing the Valley but a team like Mizz. St.'s bid is entirely dependent on how the major conferene tourneys go.

These two games did not go their way.

C'mon man... it's not "Mizzou State"

Mo. State or MO State (or, if you're a bitter b@st@rd like me, SMS).

Mizzou State not only is a trademark infringement and wrong, it's an oxymoron.

Mizzou is a blending of Missouri and State (because that's the original name of the university), so saying Mizz. State or Mizzou State is like saying "Missouri Missouri State"

alanm
03-09-2006, 01:53 PM
You still may be right, just that 15 minutes a long damn time.

And BTW, I think the Valley is gonna be dissappointed anyway. They keep hoping for 5 bids, I'm not convinced they'll get 4.
Creighton won't be one of them. :(

ct
03-09-2006, 01:55 PM
WSU, SIU, Bradley are in. SIU and Bradley are very tough draws, and could both win a game, maybe 2. WSU (I'm an alum, BTW), just has 1 and out written all over them I'm afraid. If they draw a big, tough, physical team, they're toast!

No.Iowa, SMS are still hopeful to get in, but I don't think SMS makes it. I also think N.Iowa will get left out, but they are a team that could win a game, and help solidify the valley rep, so I hope they do get in.

Creighton is NIT bound. They totally fell apart at the end, just like WSU last year.

Ceej
So, WSU/SIU are locks. Bradley and UNI for the third and final spot?

ROYC75

Mizzou is a blending of Missouri and State (because that's the original name of the university), so saying Mizz. State or Mizzou State is like saying "Missouri Missouri State"

Damn, MUrons are ashamed of MU after all ? :Poke: :D

tk13
03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I think the Big East deserves 8 or 9 anyway. I thought Syracuse should've been in after yesterday. The Big East and Big Ten should get a large chunk of at-large bids, the rest of the conferences are all clumped together as one, MVC included.

journeyscarab
03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Go Shockers.

Saulbadguy
03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
You did not go to KU, did you? Please tell me you did not.

Ceej
03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Saul, is KSU going to accept the NIT invite?

(serious question)

Saulbadguy
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Saul, is KSU going to accept the NIT invite?

(serious question)
We won't get one.

tk13
So, WSU/SIU are locks. Bradley and UNI for the third and final spot?
If Northern Iowa doesn't make it something is wrong. Their resume should make them a darn near lock.

Ceej
I guess I don't know the criteria regarding the NIT invite process. All I know is +500.

Ceej
03-09-2006, 02:01 PM
What about UNI's horrid home loss to Bradley? Wasn't it like 20+ points? But, UNI swept WSU (whom is a lock, in most bracketologists' minds). Bradley has been playing some pretty good damn ball as of late.

Going to be a fun Selection Sunday, that's for sure.

Skip Towne
03-09-2006, 02:01 PM

Yeah, I like SMS too. The other way I have trouble remembering who to hate.

Stinger
03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I like SMS too. The other way I have trouble remembering who to hate.

I call BS on this ... Skip you hate everybody.

tk13
03-09-2006, 02:06 PM
What about UNI's horrid home loss to Bradley? Wasn't it like 20+ points? But, UNI swept WSU (whom is a lock, in most bracketologists' minds). Bradley has been playing some pretty good damn ball as of late.

Yeah, but UNI beat Iowa and LSU, who led two of the best conferences in the country for a good chunk of the year, plus Bucknell, who was ranked and obviously is a pretty good team based on their tournament play last year. Bradley's a good team. I don't know if they'll make it in... I think they could really cause someone fits in the 1st round if they got in though.

duncan_idaho
03-09-2006, 02:06 PM

Your statement makes no sense to me... but then again, you are a kU fan... :)

If anything, I have too much pride and care for my school (that's why I'm picking at threads like Mizz. State).

Skip Towne
03-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I call BS on this ... Skip you hate everybody.
Totally false. I like Rainman and Iowanian.

alanm
03-09-2006, 02:09 PM
WSU, SIU, Bradley are in. SIU and Bradley are very tough draws, and could both win a game, maybe 2. WSU (I'm an alum, BTW), just has 1 and out written all over them I'm afraid. If they draw a big, tough, physical team, they're toast!

No.Iowa, SMS are still hopeful to get in, but I don't think SMS makes it. I also think N.Iowa will get left out, but they are a team that could win a game, and help solidify the valley rep, so I hope they do get in.

Creighton is NIT bound. They totally fell apart at the end, just like WSU last year.
Not so much fell apart as decimated by injury. Their walking wounded. :shake:

ct
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
UNI really tanked at the end too, that's why I suspect they could get left out. They do have some impressive victories though, and overall the RPI is still solid, so I hope they get in.

Anybody know where to get an updated RPI list?

alanm
03-09-2006, 02:12 PM

Well if that's the criteria Creighton swept UNI, split with USI and WSU and swept most of the others. :hmmm:

jspchief
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
UNI is a lock. No question in my mind. SIU, WSU, and Bradley will get in too.

ct
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM

I hope you're right. After getting shafted last year (WSU I mean), I don't see UNI as a lock.

alanm
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Well then Creighton should be a lock too. :shake:

jspchief
03-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I hope you're right. After getting shafted last year (WSU I mean), I don't see UNI as a lock.The difference is, so many power conferences absolutely suck this year, as do many mid-majors. There's a big gap left by weak conferences like the Big 12, and MVU is the only mid major that has teams that appear capable of filling that gap.

I fully expect 4 teams to get in from the MVC.

jspchief
03-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Well then Creighton should be a lock too. :shake:I think UNI's overall record gets them in over Creighton, and I think Bradley's recent solid play versus Creighton's recent poor play is what gives Bradley the edge over Creighton.

Ceej
03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
And I'm sick of CU being the "poster boy" in the Valley. They've dominated too much in recent memory. Time to take a backseat, at least this year. :)

ct
03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
The MVC getting 4 teams would be sweet! Color me cautiously optimistic for 4, but very skeptical of 5.

With the right draws, all 4 could advance to the 2nd round, but bad draws for UNI and WSU would be deadly. SIU and Bradley will represent themselves well, win or lose. They both play very tough D.

jspchief
03-09-2006, 02:27 PM
The MVC getting 4 teams would be sweet! Color me cautiously optimistic for 4, but very skeptical of 5.

With the right draws, all 4 could advance to the 2nd round, but bad draws for UNI and WSU would be deadly. SIU and Bradley will represent themselves well, win or lose. They both play very tough D.I think the MVC is going to struggle with foul trouble in the NCAA tourney. The refs in the MVC let the players get away with a lot of hand checking that will be called in the tourney.

It happens every year. Teams come out of a conference with loose calls on a certain style of play, then get murdered by penalties in the tournament. I think MVC will be a victim of it this year.

ct
03-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I think the MVC is going to struggle with foul trouble in the NCAA tourney. The refs in the MVC let the players get away with a lot of hand checking that will be called in the tourney.

It happens every year. Teams come out of a conference with loose calls on a certain style of play, then get murdered by penalties in the tournament. I think MVC will be a victim of it this year.

could be

tk13
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
In good news for the Missouri Valley... right now Florida State is losing to ACC 12th seed Wake Forest in the 1st round of the ACC tournament. That would be a devastating loss...

tk13
03-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Now 72-62 Wake Forest with 1:08 to go...

tk13
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Wake Forest pulls off the upset, wins by 12. Florida State is gonna be sweating on Sunday now.

banyon
03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Wake Forest pulls off the upset, wins by 12. Florida State is gonna be sweating on Sunday now.

That cancels out one of today's earlier wins. Good for the Valley! :)

duncan_idaho
03-09-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't care how much booze I drink... I'll never be able to combine Missouri and State and come up with Mizzou.

MSU=missou=Mizzou is the closest I can come to an explanation. The nickname has been around longer than members of my family have been going to school there, and that's a long time.

It's the same deal at Washington State—Wazzou.

ChiefsCountry
03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Missouri State is in. Bradley is the one that wont make it. Their resume is not that good.