PDA

View Full Version : Tagliabue comtemplating retirement

Coach
03-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Sources: Tagliabue comtemplating retirement
ESPN.com news services

Paul Tagliabue is seriously contemplating ending his 17-year run as NFL commissioner, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The sources said Tagliabue is expected to exercise a clause in his contract with league owners in which he becomes a "senior executive" consultant with a significant compensation package.

There has been recent speculation that Tagliabue's reign was in its final year or two, but the sources pinpointed the commissioner's decision as possible during the next 60 days. Tagliabue's current contract has two years remaining on it and it is believed to pay him between $8 million and $10 million through May 2008.

Tagliabue was unavailable for comment and a league spokesman said he was unaware of the development.

One league owner believes Tagliabue will serve for at least one more year to oversee the transition to a new commissioner. But sources say Tagliabue can do that in his senior executive role, as well.

When Tagliabue does step down, the leading candidate to replace him is Roger Goodell, the league's executive vice president and chief operating officer. Goodell has worked side by side with Tagliabue on numerous issues, ranging from franchise stability, new stadium construction, TV contract negotiations and the most recent collective bargaining agreement, in which he was an active participant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2361601

Frankie
03-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Quote:
"Tagliabue comtemplating retirement"

Oh, please God. Let this be true!

keg in kc
03-09-2006, 11:57 PM
I'd shed tears for at least a half second. Maybe.

Course he'd probably take pics away from the team when he found out.

Simplex3
03-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Two words:

Condeleza Rice.

|Zach|
03-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Quote:
"Tagliabue comtemplating retirement"

Oh, please God. Let this be true!
:hmmm:

Mecca
03-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Tagliabue has done a really good job for the overall league but I know alot of Chiefs fans dislike him because they think he's bias against our team.......

|Zach|
03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Tagliabue has done a really good job for the overall league but I know alot of Chiefs fans dislike him because they think he's bias against our team.......
Really? how?

Mecca
03-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Really? how?

Are you asking how he's done a good job or how do they think he's bias.............

|Zach|
03-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Are you asking how he's done a good job or how do they think he's bias.............
How do some think he is bias?

Mecca
03-10-2006, 12:20 AM
How do some think he is bias?

Because of all the draft picks we had to give to the Rams for Vermiel is my guess...........It probably didn't help when he made fun of our defense at the Superbowl press conference in 04 either.

|Zach|
03-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Because of all the draft picks we had to give to the Rams for Vermiel is my guess...........It probably didn't help when he made fun of our defense at the Superbowl press conference in 04 either.
There is something wrong with someone who didn't make fun of that defense.

Oh well, Chiefs fans like playing victim cards. Its all good.

keg in kc
03-10-2006, 12:23 AM
No, no, it's not just taking pics away, it's all the wink-wink-nod-nod under-the-table handshake deals between Tagliabue and Denver.

Demonpenz
03-10-2006, 12:23 AM
maybe we can get a fair shake and not have our games deciding by refs

Frankie
03-10-2006, 12:30 AM
And all the draft picks he should have taken away from Denver after they cheated their way to the top.

greg63
03-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Two words:

Condeleza Rice.

ROFLROFL

...Colon Powell

Simplex3
03-10-2006, 12:33 AM
ROFLROFL

...Colon Powell
Actually, Rice has said her dream job is NFL commissioner. I think she'd be great. She'd f**king own that chump Upshaw.

keg in kc
03-10-2006, 12:33 AM
If you put those two names together as greg spelled them, you get Colon Rice. Mmm, Colon Rice.

greg63
03-10-2006, 12:35 AM
If you put those two names together as greg spelled them, you get Colon Rice. Mmm, Colon Rice.

Ooops; I mean Colin.:banghead:

Rausch
03-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Actually, Rice has said her dream job is NFL commissioner. I think she'd be great. She'd f**king own that chump Upshaw.

I'd love it...

cdcox
03-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Historically speaking, Tags secured his legacy this week with the speech he made on Tuesday and the subsequent CBA on Wednesday. Up till then, he had been the competent caretaker, overseeing the a very successful run for the NFL. By averting the first real league crisis, he'll be remembered as a very successful commisioner. Not in Rozelle's league, but that standard would have been almost impossible to match.

Bwana
03-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Good

|Zach|
03-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Good
I am still trying to figure out where this is coming from. I always thought the guy did a good job.

Taco John
03-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Two words:

Condeleza Rice.

Four more words:

would suck ass as commissioner.

Brock
03-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I am still trying to figure out where this is coming from. I always thought the guy did a good job.

Sure, when he wasn't stealing draft picks from the Chiefs.

Count Alex's Wins
03-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Four more words:

You're so biased. ROFL

StcChief
03-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Tags and all the f'n lawyers take a hike.

Rice....
NFL would need to interview at least a token...

Hydrae
03-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Four more words:

Umm, that's 5 words.

Frankie
03-11-2006, 01:00 PM
And all the draft picks he should have taken away from Denver after they cheated their way to the top.
http://www.nfl.com.mx/imagerepository/owners_meeting.jpg

PT: Was it good for you too?
PB: Yes, but lower your voice. We are in public.

:p

Mr. Laz
03-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Tags as done a solid job for the league AS A WHOLE.

i worry about when tags and Upshaw leave.... could mean disaster for the NFL.

what happens if the NFL gets a Fear/Selig combo next?!?!? :deevee: :deevee: :harumph: