PDA

View Full Version : Sevendust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tribal Warfare
03-10-2006, 10:40 AM
They were awesome the other night, and Jada Pinkett was the front band too. I was quite surprised that she performs hardcore heavy metal.

Dunit35
03-10-2006, 10:59 AM
What's some of the stuff Sevendust sings? I think I know some of their songs.

Bob Dole
03-10-2006, 11:18 AM

:shake:

Bob Dole just listened to "Next" all the way back from Shreveport...

Reaper16
03-10-2006, 11:29 AM
They were awesome the other night, and Jada Pinkett was the front band too. I was quite surprised that she performs hardcore heavy metal.
She doesn't play hardcore or heavy metal. Or a combination of the two. Her band, Wicked Wisdom, is a surprisingly decent modern hard rock band. They play the same style of music that Sevendust, masters of theri craft, do.

Nightwish
03-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Never cared much for Sevendust, or much of anything else in that style. I'll have to check out Wicked Wisdom, though, just for the fact that Jada Pinkett is in it. I wonder what Will thinks of their stuff?

Tribal Warfare
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
She doesn't play hardcore or heavy metal. Or a combination of the two. Her band, Wicked Wisdom, is a surprisingly decent modern hard rock band. They play the same style of music that Sevendust, masters of theri craft, do.

Well she played metal when I was at Cain's

Tribal Warfare
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM

Praise, Angel's Song, Face To Face, Ugly, Black, Bitch, Waffle. Tits on a Boar

Pitt Gorilla
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Waffle is a great tune.

Reaper16
03-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Well she played metal when I was at Cain's
No she didn't, and that is plain fact. Stick to football, plz thx.
Undoubtedly you think Sevendust plays metal, too, and you would be equally as incorrect.

Tribal Warfare
03-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Undoubtedly you think Sevendust plays metal, too, and you would be equally as incorrect.

Yes she did, I was their

Nightwish
03-11-2006, 04:51 PM
It depends on how one defines "metal." Many from the American nu metal scene consider what Sevendust plays to be metal, while those of us whose tastes run to heavier, faster and more complex material, like Death/Thrash/Power/Prog metal don't consider the style of bands like Sevendust to even be in the same arena as "metal." It's hard rock, with punk elements, but not metal. But our opinion is one among many, and there is no longer a consensus among music fans and musicians as to what objectively constitutes "metal."

Demonpenz
03-11-2006, 05:43 PM
sevendust is a great band i want to go see the deftones on the taste of chaos tur

Tribal Warfare
03-11-2006, 06:03 PM
It depends on how one defines "metal." Many from the American nu metal scene consider what Sevendust plays to be metal, while those of us whose tastes run to heavier, faster and more complex material, like Death/Thrash/Power/Prog metal don't consider the style of bands like Sevendust to even be in the same arena as "metal." It's hard rock, with punk elements, but not metal. But our opinion is one among many, and there is no longer a consensus among music fan s and musicians as to what objectively constitutes "metal."

The discussion was on Pinkett's band. Sevendust has a vast array of musical range from contemperary to hard rock

Reaper16
03-11-2006, 06:34 PM
It depends on how one defines "metal." Many from the American nu metal scene consider what Sevendust plays to be metal, while those of us whose tastes run to heavier, faster and more complex material, like Death/Thrash/Power/Prog metal don't consider the style of bands like Sevendust to even be in the same arena as "metal." It's hard rock, with punk elements, but not metal. But our opinion is one among many, and there is no longer a consensus among music fans and musicians as to what objectively constitutes "metal."
Pretty much, except that structurally and in terms of music theory, there is a definitional consensus on what metal is.

Wicked Wisdom is not metal.

Reaper16
03-11-2006, 06:35 PM
The discussion was on Pinkett's band. Sevendust has a vast array of musical range from contemperary to hard rock
ROFL So because some kids on the Wicked Wisdom board said that the band was metal that makes it so? I guess all of Athan's stories are correct now, then.

Tribal Warfare
03-11-2006, 07:16 PM
ROFL So because some kids on the Wicked Wisdom board said that the band was metal that makes it so? I guess all of Athan's stories are correct now, then.

Dude, I was at Cain's Ballroom on March 8th they were playing hardcore metal. How many times do I have to explain this

StcChief
03-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Jeff Beck - Truth.

Nice download torrent replacing my wore out LP.

Reaper16
03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Dude, I was at Cain's Ballroom on March 8th they were playing hardcore metal. How many times do I have to explain this
Despite the minor oxymoron of your phrase "hardcore metal," this would only have been possible if they were covering metalcore songs. Was this a one-off gig where her band was covering hardcore punk and heavy metal songs?

OR DO YOU JUST NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL METAL OR HARDCORE ARE AND ARE WOEFULLY MISINFORMED?!?

Tribal Warfare
03-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Was this a one-off gig where her band was covering hardcore punk and heavy metal songs?

DING!!!! DING!!! DING!!!!!

Tribal Warfare
03-11-2006, 07:38 PM
The bands I consider true metal Gwar, Pantera, Slayer, and Anthrax

Nightwish
03-11-2006, 07:52 PM
GWAR isn't metal, in my opinion. I'd call them theatrical punk. Any band that is an amalgam of college punk musicians, theater students, and frat boys cannot be called "metal." Sorry, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them! Slayer, Pantera and Anthrax are definitely metal, though.

PS - don't get me wrong, GWAR is fuggin' awesome! They're one of those bands that's hard to catagorize. To be sure, they've got some metal elements (and I'm not talking about their costumes and personas), but I don't think it is their primary focus. They arose from the college punk scene, and I think they are still a lot closer to that than to any other genre.

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Ahhh, the sweet smell of a genre snob....

Reaper16
03-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Ahhh, the sweet smell of a genre snob....

I'll admit to that, though I don't go into sub-sub genres or anything crazy. But the difference between hard rock, hardcore punk, and heavy metal is goatse-wide.

jlscorpio
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Reaper16, aka Noah Webster: I just looked up Goatse on Merriam-Webster and it wasn't there. So, could you please tell me one is and how it equates to the width of said musical genre???

QuikSsurfer
04-05-2006, 04:53 PM

on shit worth a damn: Bitch, Home, Waffle, and Denial (my fav)

this band is boring to me these days :shrug:
they're playing in memphis soon.

QuikSsurfer
04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
sevendust is a great band i want to go see the deftones on the taste of chaos tur

i saw the deftones in 98 :) awesome tour!!!

Reaper16
04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Reaper16, aka Noah Webster: I just looked up Goatse on Merriam-Webster and it wasn't there. So, could you please tell me one is and how it equates to the width of said musical genre???
Look up "Goatse" on wikipedia. It's a reference to an old internet shock website, goatse.cx I believe. It was simply a picture of a man with a very large, gaping a**-hole. It's gross.

My metaphor being that, in terms of sound and music theory, the gulf between hard rock, hardcore punk and metal, while similar to untrained ears, is actually very large - as large as that guy's anus is.

jlscorpio
04-05-2006, 06:39 PM
i feel viol8ed

Reaper16
04-05-2006, 07:27 PM
i feel viol8ed
As well you should, though consider it a internet right of passage.

RaiderH8r
04-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I saw Wicked Wisdom at Ozzfest last year. Will Smith and Jada came out to close the set with Bury Your Dead, the band just before Wicked Wisdom. He wrapped by telling folks to stick around for Wicked Wisdom. When Jada and Will were out there, I recognized Will...I thought Jada was Lil Bow Wow. No sh!t, I was about 20 feet from the stage and she was wearing baggy shirt and long shorts with her fro all out. She's a short broad. My buddies and I laughed our asses off when we figured out who it was.

Oh yeah, Wicked Wisdom blows. She sounded like someone was skinning a cat they neglected to do the service of killing.

Sevendust, on the other hand, kicks ass. Whole library is pretty good. Soilwork is Sweden making up for the lameness that was Europe. Final Countdown indeed, 3-2-1, my foot in your face bitches. Maiden owned the show, black label society had an off night, I had to clear the pit, the Big Guy don't Mosh.

Nightwish
04-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Sevendust, on the other hand, kicks ass. Whole library is pretty good. Soilwork is Sweden making up for the lameness that was Europe. Final Countdown indeed, 3-2-1, my foot in your face bitches.
There are some Swedish bands out there that make Soilwork sound like amateurs. Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, just to name a couple.

RaiderH8r
04-10-2006, 03:56 PM
There are some Swedish bands out there that make Soilwork sound like amateurs. Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, just to name a couple.
I'll add them to my to listen list.

I've been giving Lacuna Coil a try. Pretty mellow, but the chick is hot so I'll probably go check them out live. A cool sound none the less, nice dichotomy between the chick's voice and the dude with a pretty well put together rhythm and guitar work. At the worst it's good background music.

Reaper16
04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
No chit. Sweeden, and the whole Scandinavian area on the whole, absolutely carried metal music on its back through the 90s, and still does, pretty much.

jspchief
04-11-2006, 06:30 AM
A lecture about what is or isn't metal from Reaper is like a lecture about what is or isn't a film from Jenson.

I'm sure they're right, but the reality is no one cares. If he calls it metal, and 90% off the BB knows what he's talking about, I'm not sure it really matters if it fits in accordance to the dictionary of obscure music genres.

Reaper16
04-11-2006, 08:44 AM
A lecture about what is or isn't metal from Reaper is like a lecture about what is or isn't a film from Jenson.

I'm sure they're right, but the reality is no one cares. If he calls it metal, and 90% off the BB knows what he's talking about, I'm not sure it really matters if it fits in accordance to the dictionary of obscure music genres.
Wallowing in ignorace is not my cup of tea. :harumph:

You're right, of course. Most people don't care to be enlightened. :)
It's like a family of casual football fans who only watch the Super Bowl and a couple of other games a year: One guy after watching a big rush, exclaims "The guard made a huge block on that play!" Well, it was the tackle who made the block, but no one in the family knows the difference, and the comment is accepted. A bigger football fan in the house, who has more knowledge of the game, would cringe and possibly attempt to correct them.

chagrin
04-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Or Taco John claiming superior knowledge about football at any time, other than Broncos stats that he read somewhere.

chagrin
04-11-2006, 08:50 AM
No chit. Sweeden, and the whole Scandinavian area on the whole, absolutely carried metal music on its back through the 90s, and still does, pretty much.

I have always enjoyed the "forward marching" style of Swedish, etc. Metal; They inspired so many other bands.

Good post dude!

jspchief
04-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Wallowing in ignorace is not my cup of tea. :harumph:

You're right, of course. Most people don't care to be enlightened. :)
It's like a family of casual football fans who only watch the Super Bowl and a couple of other games a year: One guy after watching a big rush, exclaims "The guard made a huge block on that play!" Well, it was the tackle who made the block, but no one in the family knows the difference, and the comment is accepted. A bigger football fan in the house, who has more knowledge of the game, would cringe and possibly attempt to correct them.A better analogy would be some obscure variation of a rule in a sport that not very many people watch, but yeah.

Reaper16
04-11-2006, 03:00 PM
A better analogy would be some obscure variation of a rule in a sport that not very many people watch, but yeah.
Probably, but I don't really want to metal music to be devalued by always referring to it in the context of something the mainstream doesn't listen to. Hell, folk music, ambient electronic music, and plenty of other genres of music with artistic merit don't have mainstream sales figures.

Of course you are right about most people simply not caring. There is a compelling need in me to say, "hey, there is a difference, as defined in the parameters of music theory, between hard rock and metal." That's more than likely a problem, but ah well.

Swanman
04-12-2006, 12:38 PM

I think In Flames is from that general area and I like them a lot. I think Meshuggah is from there as well.