View Full Version : I found the perfect backup for LJ

SNR
03-10-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.katytimes.com/articles/2006/03/08/sports/00bam.txt

Former NFL running back Bam Morris joins Copperheads
By Nick Georgandis
Sports Editor

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 9:20 PM CST

Three days before their inaugural game, the Katy Copperheads signed former NFL running back Byron “Bam” Morris, a graduate of Texas Tech University and native of Cooper.

Morris’ stint in the NFL was cut short by on and off-the-field trouble, notably suspensions for failing the league’s substance-abuse policy and two stints in prison, one for distributing marijuana in the Kansas City area and another for violating his parole terms.

On Wednesday night at Copperheads’ practice at the Leonard Merrell Center, Morris said he was out to prove to himself he can still be a competitive football player.

“I’m doing this for my heart, I don’t have to prove myself to anyone,” Morris said. “I’ve played against the highest level of talent and I want to see if I can still compete. I’m better mentally than I was 10 years ago.”

Morris, who recently turned 34, said he has been free of drugs and alcohol for nearly six years.

The Copperheads became interested in Morris three weeks ago when Katy assistant coach Dewey Thomas informed head coach Bryan Blake that Morris had been working out with him at a personal fitness center in Sugarland.

“Bam came to practice to watch a few times in the past couple of weeks and started getting excited about the league,” Blake said. “Guys who have been in the NFL are wary of leagues until they are able to see that it’s a good organization. It’s a win-win situation, a chance for him to get back into the NFL and a great talent for us.”

Blake said Morris would be used in goal-line and short-yardage situations to start and see more time as he got more into the flow of the team and the game.

The Copperheads start their first season in the National Indoor Football League (NIFL) Saturday at home with a 7:05 p.m. kickoff against the Beaumont Drillers.

Morris spent nearly three years (2001-2004) in a Texas prison after violating his parole stemming from a 1996 case in which he pled guilty to felony possession charge of marijuana.

At Texas Tech, Morris won the 1993 Doak Walker Award, annually given to the NCAA’s top running back. In 1993, he broke Earl Campbell’s Southwest Conference record for rushing yards in a season with 1,752 while scoring 22 touchdowns.

He was drafted in the third round of the NFL draft and gained 3,809 yards while scoring 35 touchdowns while playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens and Kansas City Chiefs.

Earlier this year, Morris signed with the Orlando Predators of the Arena Football League, but left camp before the start of the season

nychief
03-10-2006, 05:46 PM
is there a photo? I bet he looks like a good year blimp.

SNR
03-10-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.katytimes.com/content/articles/2006/03/08/sports/00bam.jpg

nychief
03-10-2006, 06:29 PM
I wonder if Marty will give him another chance?

Bowser
03-10-2006, 06:53 PM
How long until Vanover ends up on that team, as well?

nychief
03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
How long until Vanover ends up on that team, as well?

Marty ALREADY gave TV a chance with SD.

jspchief
03-11-2006, 04:45 PM
is there a photo? I bet he looks like a good year blimp.He's currently 1 pound heavier than his NFL playing weight.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/03/09/1309677/311xInlineGallery.jpg

chagrin
03-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I still am troubled by "Graduate of Texas Tech University"