PDA

View Full Version : Considering '06 Hyundai Sonata...

Archie F. Swin
03-10-2006, 11:08 PM
...anyone want to talk me out of it?

StcChief
03-10-2006, 11:15 PM
You will be using the warantee alot.

Dallas Chief
03-10-2006, 11:21 PM
How's the weather up there? I have considered the same car as well, but I think I am going to hold out just a bit longer and get the Acura TL on a lease. I hear this car is fantastic in the LX version and the Azera is Lexus quailty at not much more $$$ above the Sonata. Hope all is going well for you. Let me know when you are going to be in DFW again. We'll have to have a few...

Archie F. Swin
03-10-2006, 11:36 PM
How's the weather up there?
its on the dry side...but I'm not tellin' you anything new.

I'm doing well, aside from the fact that both of our vehicles are trying to give up the ghost at the same time. I was goin to wait until Sept. to pull the trigger on a new vehicle, but my hand may be forced in the matter. I'm may be in Colleyville tomorrow afternoon, but i'm not gonna have any messin around time. I do owe you a beer though.

Archie F. Swin
03-10-2006, 11:37 PM
You will be using the warantee alot.

you have one?

Dallas Chief
03-11-2006, 12:46 AM
its on the dry side...but I'm not tellin' you anything new.

I'm doing well, aside from the fact that both of our vehicles are trying to give up the ghost at the same time. I was goin to wait until Sept. to pull the trigger on a new vehicle, but my hand may be forced in the matter. I'm may be in Colleyville tomorrow afternoon, but i'm not gonna have any messin around time. I do owe you a beer though.
Dude, you owe me nada. Give me a shout next time then. Good luck with your car shopping...

ChiefsLV
03-11-2006, 04:49 AM
It's a bitch to get the rotors off to take them down and have them turned if you do your own brakes. You actually need a special tool to get them off and it's still a pain in the ass.

As someone else mentioned, you will use the warranty a lot too, and the car is very cheaply made, so expect stuff to eventually break off like door handles and sun visors.

Also, some guy at work was saying the replacement parts for Hyundais were extremely expensive. That's how they make up some of the lost profit to the low cost of the car methinks.

Archie F. Swin
03-11-2006, 05:35 AM
I'm under the impression the Hyundais of today are far superior to the ones from 6-10 years ago. Many car "experts" put the recent model Sonata's up there just below the Japanese class leaders and above anything the US has to offer in its class.

shakesthecat
03-11-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm under the impression the Hyundais of today are far superior to the ones from 6-10 years ago. Many car "experts" put the recent model Sonata's up there just below the Japanese class leaders and above anything the US has to offer in its class.

You are correct. The new model Hyundais are much better built than the ones a few years ago.

We bought a 05 Kia Sorento last year (Kia is owned by Hyundai) and couldn't be happier with it. It's well made, and we haven't had a single issue.

ChiefButthurt
03-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Co-worker has one. She bought it maybe two years ago and I've never heard her complain. I don't think she's ever had it in at the dealer except for routine maintenance. I wouldn't be afraid of it. Check out re-sale issues, if you are the type to keep a car many years don't worry about it. IMO nice looking family car.

dilligaf
03-11-2006, 08:30 AM
As soon as you drive it off the lot, it will be worth 1/2 what you just paid for it. Look into a Toyota or Honda. If they are too much, Look into a slightly used one.
Toyota has a new Camry that should be in your local dealers now. Far superior car.

StcChief
03-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't have one but, ex-MIL had one, the parts are expensive, was in the shop more than a few times,

Bitch to work on even the oil change/filter was a pain.

The reason they offer 100K warantee. read how/what is covered.

I wouldn't do it, get something comparable for just a bit more, Get something coming off lease, 1-2 years old etc.

RedandGold
03-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Due to the Hyundai's reliability and depreciation issues, I would definitely look into a certified Accord or Camry for about the same money.

I would even consider an Altima 2.5 S before looking at the Hyundai.

DMAC
03-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Get an Acura

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Reliablility and workmanships on the KIAs and Hyundais have improved over the past five years, so that's much less of a concern than it use to be. If you are a "drive it till the wheels fall off" sort of guy, it's probably....at their prices....a good deal.

If you have a little more money, and want good resale, proven reliability, and a better safety record.....check into the Hondas and Toyotas. (Civics they make now, are less expensive than the Accord....and much nicer and bigger than they use to be.)

Adept Havelock
03-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Reliablility and workmanships on the KIAs and Hyundais have improved over the past five years, so that's much less of a concern than it use to be.

You've got that right, MK.

I just can't bring myself to purchase a car with the acronym KIA. Too many bad connotations. ROFL

CASHMAN
03-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Reliablility and workmanships on the KIAs and Hyundais have improved over the past five years, so that's much less of a concern than it use to be. If you are a "drive it till the wheels fall off" sort of guy, it's probably....at their prices....a good deal.

If you have a little more money, and want good resale, proven reliability, and a better safety record.....check into the Hondas and Toyotas. (Civics they make now, are less expensive than the Accord....and much nicer and bigger than they use to be.)

Yes check out the 06 Civic it will hold its re-sale and is a very nice car, The wife and i are picking one up on monday.

CASHMAN.

Archie F. Swin
03-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Yes check out the 06 Civic it will hold its re-sale and is a very nice car, The wife and i are picking one up on monday.

CASHMAN.
I have an 8 and a 4 year old...is the civic a family car?

CASHMAN
03-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Yes if u get the 4 door, we are trading in my CRV and getting lower payments with a new car and better gas mileage:). If you get a KIA it will not hold re-sale very good and the honda will they are great cars, u get what u pay for if u get a KIA is all i can say.

CASHMAN.

recxjake
03-12-2006, 04:55 PM
...anyone want to talk me out of it?

eww, you don't want that... wait untill this summer to get a new car anyway... better rebates

Saturn Aura-- comes out this summer.. looks awesome
Pontiac G6
Saab 9-2x
Chevy Malibu

CASHMAN
03-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Please note base equipment is standard and not specific to the vehicle noted above. Installed options may have been added by the dealer. Please call for specifics. Mechanical16 Valves
Variable Valve Timing
Single Overhead Cam (SOHC)
Displacement: 1.80 Liters
Cylinders: Inline 4
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic
Drive Type: Front Wheel Drive PerformanceHorsepower: 140 Horsepower
Horsepower At: 6300 Rpm
Torque: 128 Pound/Feet
Torque At: 4300 Rpm
Independent Suspension: Four-Wheel
Stabilizer Bar: Front And Rear InteriorFront Console With Storage
Cruise Control
Cupholders: Front And Rear
Door Pockets: Front
Power Outlets: Front
Remote Trunk Release
Front Seatback Storage
Steering Wheel: Tilt And Telescopic
Power Steering
Steering Wheel Controls: Audio And Cruise Controls
Air Conditioning
Interior Air Filtration
Cargo Area Light
Floor Mats: Front And Rear
Front Reading Lights
Vanity Mirrors: Dual Vanity Mirrors
One-Touch Power Windows: 1 One-Touch
Remote Power Door Locks
Power Windows
Audio System: AM/FM In-Dash Single CD Player With MP3
Folding Rear Seats: Split-Folding
Rear Seat Type: Bench Rear Seat ExteriorPower Mirrors
Number Of Doors: 4
Front Wipers: Variable Intermittent
Rear Defogger
Sunroof: Power Glass
Spare Wheel Tire Type: Temporary
Wheel Rim Size: 16 X 6.5 In.
Wheel Rim Type: Alloy Rims
Tire Type: All Season
Tire Size: P205/55HR16 Safety4-Wheel Antilock Brakes: Standard
Front And Rear Head Airbags
Dual Front Side-Mounted Airbags
Remote Anti-Theft Alarm System
Brakes: Ventilated Front Disc / Solid Rear Disc
Child Safety Locks
Child Seat Anchors
Daytime Running Lights
Engine Immobilizer
Front Headrests: 2 Front Headrests
Rear Headrests: 3 Rear Headrests
Passenger Airbag Safety: Occupant Sensing Deactivation
Rear Center Seatbelt: 3-Point Belt
Seatbelts: Front
Interior Trunk Release

CASHMAN
03-12-2006, 05:07 PM
http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/civic_coupe/interior_gallery/large11.jpg

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/civic_coupe/interior_gallery/large13.jpg

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/civic_coupe/interior_gallery/large2.jpg

Archie F. Swin
03-12-2006, 05:07 PM
eww, you don't want that... wait untill this summer to get a new car anyway... better rebates

Pontiac G6
Saab 9-2x
Chevy Malibu

sorry buddy...wont touch GM...only domestic I would think about more than 30 seconds is Ford Focus

CASHMAN
03-12-2006, 05:09 PM
http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/civic_coupe/interior_gallery/large1.jpg

There's space for five, and you'll all be feeling good, thanks to roomy seating.

CASHMAN.

AZORChiefFan
03-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I had an 00 Hyundai Elantra. Just traded it in with 95K+ miles. Only had to do minor repairs ie: power window motor cable jumped out of the track and 'backlashed'. Which was covered by the warranty. Had to replace timing belt of course. Decent car and from what I have read/heard the Sonata is pretty nice.

CASHMAN
03-12-2006, 05:13 PM
We are getting a RED one, i hope all this info helped and good luck.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/692/medium/2006_Civic_Sedan_19.jpg

CASHMAN.

Archie F. Swin
03-12-2006, 05:17 PM
We are getting a RED one, i hope all this info helped and good luck.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/692/medium/2006_Civic_Sedan_19.jpg

CASHMAN.

thanks

Archie F. Swin
03-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Bump

also considering pre-owned Accord, Camry, Element or new Honda Civic

Miles
03-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Bump

I dont think you can go wrong with any of those choices, although most find the Element to be painfully ugly.

Bwana
03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Bump

MUCH wiser choice.

Logical
03-16-2006, 08:47 PM

Pontiac G6
Saab 9-2x
Chevy MalibuI am shocked to see you pimping a Saab.

Miles
03-16-2006, 08:51 PM
I am shocked to see you pimping a Saab.

From their corporate website, it Looks like GM owns them.

Mr. Kotter
03-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Bump

You need to test drive that new Civic. Seriously.

Pre-owned, the Camry or Accord would be great choices too.

Logical
03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
From their corporate website, it Looks like GM owns them.Along with Opel, Holden and Valuxhall. I also know Ford owns Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover. Chrysler and Mercedes being jointly owned and they own Maybach. Just they are not the least bit built in the US.

CASHMAN
03-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Bump

Archie we picked up or 06 Civic monday and its a great car enough room and alot of extras on the 06, have you went to drive one or even look at them yet? and hondas hold there re-sale like i have said many times, we were looking at used but didnt want to buy other peoples problems and got a great deal on new. Oh well good luck and maybe look at the Altima as we have an 06 one and love it also.

CASHMAN.

plbrdude
03-17-2006, 06:37 AM
i have an 04 sonata. warrenty for headlight replacement all we have used. car is pretty nice, though a touch small for me at 6'3". only complaint i have is 25mpg rather than 30.

Braincase
03-17-2006, 06:40 AM
I was able to pick up a 2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, fully loaded, supercharged v-6, 29 MPG on the highway, leather, chrome, heated seats, with 23k miles....

... for 20 grand.

:p

dilligaf
03-17-2006, 07:38 AM
I was able to pick up a 2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, fully loaded, supercharged v-6, 29 MPG on the highway, leather, chrome, heated seats, with 23k miles....

... for 20 grand.

:p
I love big fat-azzed luxury automobiles.

kepp
03-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Its hard to go wrong with a Civic or Accord. Also, if you can find a good used Acura TL or TSX, maybe. I have a '99 2.3 CL with 134K on it and it doesn't have so much as a squeak or a rattle.

Inspector
03-17-2006, 09:58 AM
A girl at work has one, got it new last fall, loves it. So far, no problems.

Sounds like others have not had good luck with them so far.

That one guy should be here soon to tell you how great GM cars are (if he hasn't already - havn't read entire thread...)

Inspector
03-17-2006, 10:02 AM

I bought a new Civic in 1991 and drove the crap out of it, gave it to one of my sons who found even more crap to drive out of it and eventually traded it with over 390K miles on it.

They do last awhile.

Inspector
03-17-2006, 10:03 AM

Pontiac G6
Saab 9-2x
Chevy Malibu

Thanks.

I thought you might come along here.

StcChief
03-17-2006, 10:05 AM
The real question now is....
have you been convinced to avoid the Hyndia???

CASHMAN
03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
The real question now is....
have you been convinced to avoid the Hyndia???

Stay far away from any KIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CASHMAN.