PDA

View Full Version : Chief's FA Activity

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2006, 12:48 PM
I think CP will probably be true to his words, especially with the "every other year" cycle that he appears to be locked in.....and that we won't be making any significant splash in FA.

And, I'm pissed about it. :cuss:

However, there's a side of me, that says this is his way of "lowering expectations." I mean, he has to be able to SEE what we are seeing, and he has to (in his soul, if he has one...) WANT what we want.

The age of this offense, and the "window closing"--if it hasn't already--is clear. The desperation of this franchise and it's fans, to finally make it back to the Superbowl, is unmistakable. CP can't be blind to those facts. And he and Lamar are no spring chickens either....

So, that rationalization gives me hope....gives me an inexplicable confidence that we will go to the well this year to get 3-4 players who can put us in position to give it a shot.....that or I'm just hopelessly optimistic.

What is your thought? Is he "lowering expectations" or is he just conducting business as usual? What do you see the Chiefs doing in the coming days and weeks?

milkman
03-11-2006, 12:51 PM
You're hopelessly optimistic.

Adept Havelock
03-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I think CP will probably be true to his words, especially with the "every other year" cycle that he appears to be locked in.....and that we won't be making any significant splash in FA.

However, there's a side of me, that says this is his way of "lowering expectations." I mean, he has to be able to SEE what we are seeing, and he has to (in his soul, if he has one...) WANT what we want.

The age of this offense, and the "window closing"--if it hasn't already--is clear. The desperation of this franchise and it's fans, to finally make it back to the Superbowl, is unmistakable. CP can't be blind to those facts. And he and Lamar are no spring chickens either....

So, that rationalization gives me hope....gives me an inexplicable confidence that we will go to the well this year to get 3-4 players who can put us in position to give it a shot.....that or I'm just hopelessly optimistic.

What is your thoughts? Is he "lowering expectations" or is he just conducting business as usual? What do you see the Chiefs doing in the coming days and weeks?

it's hard for me to optimistic about anything with King Carl. I think it's business as usual, and I do exepect a few mid-tier FA's (i.e. like Dalton) to be signed, but I don't think he's going after any real impact players. :banghead:

Hopefully, I'm wrong like I was about the CBA.

tyton75
03-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't see us getting any big-name guys simply because it Carl.... however, I wouldn't be suprised to see us pick up a couple of roll player-type guys, solid players but nothing spectacular

RedThat
03-11-2006, 12:54 PM

What is your thoughts? Is he "lowering expectations" or is he just conducting business as usual? What do you see the Chiefs doing in the coming days and weeks?

Personally, I think he is of his word. I don't anticipate on them doing anything.
They're probably somewhere in the range of 9-10 million under the cap. Remember, about 3-4 million of that cap money will be devoted towards our 2006 draft picks. So that leaves us with 5-6 million to spend. That is good enough for maybe 2 FAs. I don't see any REAL names coming here. Maybe just a few so-so additions. That's about it.

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2006, 12:56 PM
You're hopelessly optimistic.

Probably. :(

:banghead:

:deevee:

milkman
03-11-2006, 12:57 PM
it's hard for me to optimistic about anything with King Carl. I think it's business as usual, and I do exepect a few mid-tier FA's (i.e. like Dalton) to be signed, but I don't think he's going after any real impact players. :banghead:

Hopefully, I'm wrong like I was about the CBA.

It's been a long time since any of those "impact" FAs that Carl has signed have had as much of an impact as the mid tier FAs (i.e. like Priest).

Adept Havelock
03-11-2006, 01:02 PM
It's been a long time since any of those "impact" FAs that Carl has signed have had as much of an impact as the mid tier FAs (i.e. like Priest).

Isn't that the sad and sorry truth. :cuss:

Mr. Laz
03-11-2006, 01:04 PM
their normal

1 starter(non blue chip)
1 solid backup (to see some time in a rotation)
2/3 special team type role players

Frankie
03-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Lucky you added the poll to your thread, Mr Kotter. Otherwise I would be pissed that you just didn't post this in my "message to CP" thread of the same subject EARLIER today. ( :harumph: )
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137130

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Lucky you added the poll to your thread, Mr Kotter. Otherwise I would be pissed that you just didn't post this in my "message to CP" thread of the same subject EARLIER today. ( :harumph: )
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137130

Not tryin' to steal your "thunder" Frankie....just curious what the concensus was, and wanted to quantify it some....

Don't go "jihad" on me, now. ;)

Frankie
03-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Don't go "jihad" on me, now. ;)
ROFL
Not to worry you little infidel. I was just trying to get in a little cheap advertisement for my thread.

blueballs
03-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Why do people copy and paste the title thread before they reply? Does it make their post moe important?

|Zach|
03-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Why do people copy and paste the title thread before they reply? Does it make their post moe important?
No, but posting things from March of last year makes me feel important. That and this shirt.

http://www.splendidshirt.com/image/thumbs/A8807D-lg.jpg

blueballs
03-11-2006, 02:10 PM
If you want me to call you dady, it's going to cost you.

el borracho
03-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I can't imagine that we don't sign at least one CB to replace the two we lost. Probably sign at least one Dlineman, too. Beyond that, :shrug:

Lurch
03-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I can't imagine that we don't sign at least one CB to replace the two we lost. Probably sign at least one Dlineman, too. Beyond that, :shrug:

Sounds about right.

Frankie
03-11-2006, 05:33 PM
If you want me to call you dady, it's going to cost you.
But "daddy," he'll do for free.

Logical
03-11-2006, 05:41 PM

Because it makes it clear who they are responding to and the answer a little more clear.

|Zach|
03-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Because it makes it clear who they are responding to and the answer a little more clear.
Jim if you want me to call you Daddy its going to cost you.

brent102fire
03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Honestly, what does CP and Mr. Hunt have to lose by not signing any new FA's? The AFC West Crown? The Lamar Hunt Trophy? The Vince Lombardi Trophy? Big deal...Arrowhead is still selling out every game even after he continues to raise ticket prices, beer prices, food and parking etc...Seems like CP and Lamar don't really care about winning a Super Bowl. The team is still making money and Arrowhead is still selling out no matter how crappy the product on the field is. Atleast Dan Snyder is doing everything in his power and pocket book to try to get a Super Bowl Trophy...can't say that about Lamar and CP... :shake:

htismaqe
03-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Honestly, what does CP and Mr. Hunt have to lose by not signing any new FA's? The AFC West Crown? The Lamar Hunt Trophy? The Vince Lombardi Trophy? Big deal...Arrowhead is still selling out every game even after he continues to raise ticket prices, beer prices, food and parking etc...Seems like CP and Lamar don't really care about winning a Super Bowl. The team is still making money and Arrowhead is still selling out no matter how crappy the product on the field is. Atleast Dan Snyder is doing everything in his power and pocket book to try to get a Super Bowl Trophy...can't say that about Lamar and CP... :shake:

Why should Lamar do anything differently.

He pockets his money and the lemmings still line up every Sunday.

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2006, 07:13 PM

I'm not quite as cynical. I still think the old man would love for nothing more than another SB victory before he's called up yonder.

But I'm becoming more cynical each year. I'm probably 2-3 seasons from joining you Parker.... :(

The Bad Guy
03-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I just want Lamar Hunt to either sell the team or turn it over to his kids already.

I don't know how you could be a founding father of the NFL, have the AFC trophy in your nam e and not make every effort to put the best possible product on the field.

I mean, where does owner's competitive spirit go? He's a freaking billionaire for goodness sakes.

I'll never understand it. It's not a business to him. He has other ventures for that.

I just don't know how you can pull the "every other year" BS. Why not spread it out to upgrade every year? There is more defensive talent available this off-season than last.

I really used to think Carl Peterson was the worst thing for this organization, but Lamar Hunt might just be.

I know I'll get flamed for that comment. But Lamar's health isn't getting any better and he can't take his money with him.

I'm not asking to sign every free agent, but don't be pigheaded about upgrading the team either. There are players that can really help that aren't going to break the bank, but you can't catch any fish if your fishing pole is in the closet.

The Bad Guy
03-11-2006, 07:35 PM

Yep and that sickens me.

It sickens me that his bottom line is his bank account and not making every effort possible to obtain a championship.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-11-2006, 07:50 PM
with the stadium vote April 4 they may try to have some activity a little closer to that date. If anyone decent is left out there

The Bad Guy
03-11-2006, 07:59 PM
with the stadium vote April 4 they may try to have some activity a little closer to that date. If anyone decent is left out there

With the way things went today, I doubt it.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-11-2006, 08:03 PM
With the way things went today, I doubt it.

I'm a little scared they will throw money at a name. The stadium issue is more important than the 2006 season

edit: they already have the die hard fan's vote, maybe it wouldn't matter anyway

BigMeatballDave
03-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Its OK. We just signed S. Knight...

ChiefButthurt
03-11-2006, 08:15 PM

:clap: ROFL

Mr. Kotter
03-11-2006, 10:09 PM

BSP Dude is a bit tardy; cut him a little slack....heh. ;)