PDA

View Full Version : Royals home opener tickets?

Otis99
03-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Sold out in like 30 minutes. WTF? I was speed dialing the ticket hotline every 10 seconds and clicking away at the ticket website right when they went on sale this morning. I don't understand how they can sell out 40,000 tickets in 30 minutes. I saw tickets on ebay for opening day going for $70+. This is ridiculous. Can't an honest guy buy tickets to a baseball game anymore?

Cochise
03-11-2006, 06:10 PM
The only sure way is to get up before dawn and line up someplace.

I was in line at Hy-Vee about 30-45 minutes before they went on sale and didn't get any. The process there was so slow that the line barely moved at all before they were gone.

Eventually I got through on the phone while I was standing line, but they only had scattered singles left. I picked up a couple of those... next year I will just get up really early and head out to the K I guess.

Adept Havelock
03-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Can't an honest guy buy tickets to a baseball game anymore?

You will have NO problems buying tickets for almost any other game this season, except for when the damn redbirds come to town.

Opening day is an event. Ticket brokers know it. It stinks.

VonneMarie
03-11-2006, 06:15 PM
You will have NO problems buying tickets for almost any other game this season, except for when the damn redbirds come to town.

Except the Cards, Yanks and BoSox games.

Katipan
03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Gosh, I hope tomorrow's game isn't sold out. :D

alanm
03-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Sold out in like 30 minutes. WTF? I was speed dialing the ticket hotline every 10 seconds and clicking away at the ticket website right when they went on sale this morning. I don't understand how they can sell out 40,000 tickets in 30 minutes. I saw tickets on ebay for opening day going for $70+. This is ridiculous. Can't an honest guy buy tickets to a baseball game anymore?
Everyone will jump off the bandwagon after they drop the opener. ROFL

Skip Towne
03-11-2006, 06:28 PM
And 9 of the next 10.

Demonpenz
03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
if the royals played anywhere near good ball this town would rally around it. I remember when it used to be a baseball town.

ENDelt260
03-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Gosh, I hope tomorrow's game isn't sold out. :D
We could always go bowling.

Otis99
03-11-2006, 06:44 PM
This is getting depressing. I looked at a few ticket broker websites just out of curiosity and a few of them want upwards of $200 for one or two seats way up in the nosebleeds (Row Y, Section 431!).

I know there can't be THAT many season ticket holders. I am pretty sure they are holding back some seats to attract season ticket buyers. Like, if I signed up today I'd get seats to the opener and whatever games I bought. At what point do they make those seats available for sale? A week or so prior to the opener, maybe? Guy on the phone at 1-800-6ROYALS told me they "might" release some standing room only seats at some point, but I know they are going to make some actual, real seats available for sale eventually.

In years past, I have gone up to the box office opening day to a "sold out" game and was able to pick up tickets in the cheap seats. Here's to hoping I can do it this year!

beavis
03-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I know there can't be THAT many season ticket holders. I am pretty sure they are holding back some seats to attract season ticket buyers.
Actually, season ticket holders get to buy their seats for opening day, plus 4 more, not to mention the group sales they've already made. So it's probable there were very few tickets available when they first went on sale this morning.

BigRedChief
03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
We are going to be raffling off Royals home opener tickets to raise money for my little league ball team.

BTW, you think the Royals are bad the Cardinals sold 3,000,000 tickets before single game tickets even went on sale. In 3 hours standing room only tickets were all that was left for the whole season.

Otis99
03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
BTW, you think the Royals are bad the Cardinals sold 3,000,000 tickets before single game tickets even went on sale. In 3 hours standing room only tickets were all that was left for the whole season.

Holy crap, I thought you were joking. I went to the Cardinals website and the only thing I found were GA tickets to any game, I clicked on 2 or 3 games every month, picked out the crappiest opponents I could find, and sure enough they only had standing room only. Wow.

I guess that on the one hand it's nice to be able to walk up to any random Royals game and be able to get tickets anywhere you want. But that's what you get when you have a lousy team, I guess.

I think it's funny how the home opener is sold out but you can get seats to the April 5 game in the lower level no problem, in any quantity you want.

I think I am going to show up to the game and see if I can buy from a scalper. Are there a lot of undercover cops working there or is buying from a scalper safe? Anyone ever try this?

tk13
03-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah, the Cardinals handled that brilliantly, created fear that there weren't gonna be any tickets so everyone rushed to buy one. They're moving into a new, smaller stadium... they allowed the concern about that to snowball and I read articles saying they privately believed the season would sell out opening day, so it planted that in people's heads. Last year they had a huge season attendance number but most times you could still get decent upper deck seats a few weeks in advance. This year, nothing.

StcChief
03-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Cards are short about 8K seats right now, on the stadium sections not done (so I've heard, buddy is STH)

Those may open up later in the year. Of course they can't sell what they can't seat.

All the party rooms are gone, 2-4 seat packs in some of the private rooms are available.

chief52
03-11-2006, 08:40 PM
The A's reduced the size of the Coliseum in '06 from 44k to 34k by blocking off the third deck. They say it is to make the stadium more intimate. Others say it is to make the ticket rarer and hopefully create a stir where people are buying more advance tickets and thus sell more tickets.

Otis99
03-11-2006, 08:44 PM
The A's reduced the size of the Coliseum in '06 from 44k to 34k by blocking off the third deck. They say it is to make the stadium more intimate. Others say it is to make the ticket rarer and hopefully create a stir where people are buying more advance tickets and thus sell more tickets.

34k seats? Wow, I thought Fenway was the smallest ballpark in the league with 38k, that's insane. I have personally never been a fan of stadiums that hold both baseball and football games though.

chief52
03-11-2006, 08:47 PM
34k seats? Wow, I thought Fenway was the smallest ballpark in the league with 38k, that's insane. I have personally never been a fan of stadiums that hold both baseball and football games though.

The Coliseum is really a football stadium where they play baseball now. They caved in to Davis to get him to return to Oakland. Very cold concrete mausoleum. The A's attendance will really jump up if they can build a quaint new baseball only park.

StcChief
03-11-2006, 08:50 PM

Is there anyone on there now?

Otis99
03-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Is there anyone on there now?

I know this is hard to believe but I am a Royals fan. For better or for worse, I know they are a crappy team but they are still my team. Who else am I going to root for, the Cards? Most people don't take them seriously. I understand why, I mean hey we suck. But that doesn't mean I can't still be a fan.

Saulbadguy
03-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Buy a partial season ticket plan. 21 games and you are guaranteed seats for opening day.