PDA

View Full Version : **Official** Selection Sunday Thread

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Well folks it's that time of year again, Selection Sunday. Besides Super Bowl Sunday, Selection Sunday is in my opinion another one of those unofficial holidays. Tonite people will be filling out 5-10 brackets to compete in multiple tournament pools from their work, school, friends, neighbors, relatives you name it. It's the start of the greatest tournament in all of sports, March Madness! Just thought I would say good luck to all of the people participating in tourney pools and remember not to put all of your eggs into one basket if you catch my drift. So lets hear it people, who do YOU have in the final four granted all 4 teams are in different regions? (Note: This will more than likely change by the end of this thread due to the selection process being complete later in the day).

Lzen
03-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Well, I gave up on doing brackets a long time ago. I'm not very good at picking teams in the NCAA tourney. But I do have a question for KU fans. What kind of seed do you think the Jayhawks will get?

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, I gave up on doing brackets a long time ago. I'm not very good at picking teams in the NCAA tourney. But I do have a question for KU fans. What kind of seed do you think the Jayhawks will get?

If they win today I could see them getting a 3 seed if they're lucky. More than likely it will be a 4 seed though. If they lose I think they will be a 5 seed, which IMO is not good considering the 5-12 game is the game with the most potential for an upset. :banghead: I would also rather have them play closer to home with a lower seed than have a higher seed and to play far away (like San Diego or somewhere in the Northeast wherever that may be).

Lurch
03-12-2006, 08:52 AM

I'm guessing a 4. If they get spanked today, they could get a 5 or 6.

58-4ever
03-12-2006, 08:52 AM
I hate KU, but depending on whether they win today they will be a 3-5 seed.

58-4ever
03-12-2006, 08:53 AM
If they win today I could see them getting a 3 seed if they're lucky. More than likely it will be a 4 seed though. If they lose I think they will be a 5 seed, which IMO is not good considering the 5-12 game is the game with the most potential for an upset. :banghead:

Why do you root for KU if you live in MO?

Lurch
03-12-2006, 08:54 AM
How much whining do you suppose there will be from the Bear fans who are probably gonna have to settle for the NIT with their top 20 RPI? Some of those folks will need a couple of qualudes to console themselves.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Guys, I've always read/heard that the Big12 Championship game is played too late to affect the seeding of those teams in the Champ game. In other words, the seedings have already been determined by the time that game is complete. Basically, what KU has done the past 2 days will determine where they are seeded. Personally, I think they are a 4 seed no matter what happens today. Does anyone else agree with this?

Lurch
03-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Guys, I've always read/heard that the Big12 Championship game is played too late to affect the seeding of those teams in the Champ game. In other words, the seedings have already been determined by the time that game is complete. Basically, what KU has done the past 2 days will determine where they are seeded. Personally, I think they are a 4 seed no matter what happens today. Does anyone else agree with this?

I've heard that too; but I've also heard that's bunk. It would be really easy to flip-flop Kansas from a 4 to a 5, or Texas from a 1 to a 2. That just puts them on the other side of the bracket...easy enough to do. But yeah, I think 4 makes the most sense, but another convincing win by Texas could change that.

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Why do you root for KU if you live in MO?

Because I grew up watching KU. If you are from the KC area in general you will come to find that theres about a 50/50 fan base between MU and KU basketball. I used to go to Roy's camps and met players like Jacque Vaughn, Paul Peirce, Greg Ostertag (****in bum), and more importantly Roy. Not to mention that KU was always on TV alot more than MU was, so when I was growing up thats all I watched and inspired me to go to these team camps and such, making me an even bigger KU fan. Roy's a fantastic coach and I believe the transition offense is the best there is in bball, I ran the KU secondary break in AAU and also in HS, it's easy points and I've always been a huge fan of it unlike this Hi-Low bullshit Self runs. Would you root for the Chiefs if you lived in KCK? It's the same analogy really.

the Talking Can
03-12-2006, 09:03 AM
the committee bases nothing on today's game, somewhere I read that they already have 7 lines of the bracket seeded (that was yesterday)...we should be a four, but bb pundits seem to think we're a 5

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 09:37 AM

I do ........My pick is a 4 seed.

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Our seed was determined yesterday ....... The only thing that could upset the seedings of todays game was if Texas A&M and Nebraska was playing .

But that didn't happen..........

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 09:43 AM
I dont know how to really ask this question but here it goes. Are the "At-Large" bids seeded 1-6, the bubble teams 7-12, and the smaller bid schools/mid majors 13-16, or does it not matter? I hope that question is clear enough because I dont know any other way to ask it.

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 09:45 AM
I dont agree that seeds are set a day before. Im not saying that people are lying, I mean Ive heard its a rumor though and I remember some teams clinching #1 or #2 seeds just by winning the conference tourney.

DJay23
03-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I have to agree. The game tips off at 3 EST, which means it's outcome won't become official till between 5 and 5:30. The brackets are official by 6. I think it's a lot tougher to flop teams in and out of seeds. Consider that everything is set, and then KU gets blown out and we deserve a 5 instead of a 4, there are many factors the committee considers for seeding. They look at possible rematches from the season, matchups of big personalities/legendary coaches/a coaches former school, etc. They also have to make sure that conference teams are separated as much as possible. The only thing I can think is if they have contingencies. I'm not so sure we're locked at a 4. I mean, we are right on the edge of being among the 16 best teams in the country, but that 5-12 mathup is ripe for upsets, and we all know that's what makes the tournament so fun to watch. I'm sure the committee would take that into consideration. I'm sure they'd love to rematch us with Bucknell.

My Final 4 as of what I've seen to this point are:

Villanova
UConn
UCLA
Texas

I wanted to put a Big 10 team in there because they always seem to land a team in the Final 4, but I don't see Ohio State making it with their inexperience, Illinois is way too unpredictable. They could win the whole thing or lose in the first round. I really like Michigan State at the beginning of the year, and in fact I may put them in on one of my brackets, but they have really underperformed.

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I dont know how to really ask this question but here it goes. Are the "At-Large" bids seeded 1-6, the bubble teams 7-12, and the smaller bid schools/mid majors 13-16, or does it not matter? I hope that question is clear enough because I dont know any other way to ask it.

Nope, the committee has done established the top 4 seeds by now. UCON, Villanova both lost in the conf. tourney, but both will be a # 1 seed. UNC has lost in the conf. tourney, but they will be a 2, at worst a 3 seed.

The at large schools are figured in around the higher the way they feel the bracket should look. To get an auto bid when you are not expected to be in the tourney only causes bubble teams to not make it in.

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I dont agree that seeds are set a day before. Im not saying that people are lying, I mean Ive heard its a rumor though and I remember some teams clinching #1 or #2 seeds just by winning the conference tourney.

Wake up and smell the roses....... UCON,Villanova, Memphis and Duke are the # 1 seeds, they are already marked down.

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Well if all of this is true about them already knowing what the #1 seeds are going to be, then I hope to God that Kansas is in the same bracket as Memphis, who happens to be the most overrated team in college bball besides George Washington. BTW I hope GW is also in that same bracket as well.

luv
03-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I see how it is. My Selection Sunday not good enough for you? It's cuz I'm a chick, isn't it? :p

cdcox
03-12-2006, 10:40 AM
I see how it is. My Selection Sunday not good enough for you? It's cuz I'm a chick, isn't it? :p

Actually it was because yours wasn't **OFFICIAL** . We have standards around here.

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 10:57 AM
www.t3hjc.blogspot.com

mah seedings

KevB
03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Well if all of this is true about them already knowing what the #1 seeds are going to be, then I hope to God that Kansas is in the same bracket as Memphis, who happens to be the most overrated team in college bball besides George Washington. BTW I hope GW is also in that same bracket as well.

Explain your Memphis overrated claim.....this should be interesting.

the Talking Can
03-12-2006, 12:03 PM
yeah, I think Memphis is pretty good...if anyone is overrated it is Duke..

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Memphis isn't overrated, neither is GW(who will get a low seed).

Teams I think that are overrated are the likes of UCLA, Boston College, and Gonzaga.

ChiefButthurt
03-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Actually it was because yours wasn't **OFFICIAL** . We have standards around here.

Don't let him get away with that L2R. I know you got more game than him. Or so I've heard.

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Explain your Memphis overrated claim.....this should be interesting.

Have you seen the level of talent that is in their conferences? Neither team would finish better than 4th in the Big12. Memphis beat an overrated Zags team as well as an overrated UCLA team. Neither of those teams are as good as advertised. TX kicked their ass at home and Duke played like shit and still beat 'em. And just who in the hell has GW beaten that is worth a shit?!?!?

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 12:39 PM

Teams I think that are overrated are the likes of UCLA, Boston College, and Gonzaga.

I agree about UCLA and Zags, but I wouldnt want to face Boston College in the tourney. I'm not saying they're great but I think they are better than any of the teams you listed.

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Duke played well and beat them and while Texas beat them, they did not kick their ass. Texas had their asses kicked by Duke though.

Saying Memphis is overrated because the rest of their conference is a flawed argument; saying they wouldn't do well in the Big 12 is even more off-base. The Big 12 isn't very good to begin with. Texas is the only team I think could do any kind of damage in the tourney.

Memphis has wins over Tennessee, UCLA, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, UW-Milwaukee, Alabama, Winthrop, and UAB twice.

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree about UCLA and Zags, but I wouldnt want to face Boston College in the tourney. I'm not saying they're great but I think they are better than any of the teams you listed.

They're too one dimensional. If they run up against a team with good interior D, they aren't good enough from the outside to overcome that.

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 12:48 PM

GW, UCLA and Gonzaga is overrated .......

Memphis is not, alot like Kansas, young and very athletic.

BC is a quality team...... tough opponet.

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Tennessee is overrated as well ............

Lzen
03-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Duke played well and beat them and while Texas beat them, they did not kick their ass. Texas had their asses kicked by Duke though.

Saying Memphis is overrated because the rest of their conference is a flawed argument; saying they wouldn't do well in the Big 12 is even more off-base. The Big 12 isn't very good to begin with. Texas is the only team I think could do any kind of damage in the tourney.

Memphis has wins over Tennessee, UCLA, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, UW-Milwaukee, Alabama, Winthrop, and UAB twice.

According to the RPI, the Big 12 is ranked #5 and Conf. USA is #13. I guess your argument doesn't really hold water.

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 01:36 PM
I guess your logic is boneheaded. I didn't say CUSA was better than the Big 12. I'm saying both aren't very good and that the rest of CUSA has no impact on how Memphis would fare in the Big 12.

If I can state my opinion, I'd say Memphis would finish #2 in the Big 12.

KevB
03-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Have you seen the level of talent that is in their conferences? Neither team would finish better than 4th in the Big12. Memphis beat an overrated Zags team as well as an overrated UCLA team. Neither of those teams are as good as advertised. TX kicked their ass at home and Duke played like shit and still beat 'em. And just who in the hell has GW beaten that is worth a shit?!?!?

Have you actually seen Memphis play?
They beat Alabama at UA before Chuck Davis was injured
They beat UCLA in NYC
They had every opportunity to beat Duke (and Duke played less than stellar because of Memphis' talent....Rodney Carney, a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft, shut out Reddick in the 2nd half)
They beat the Zags, as Shawne Williams shut out 'Stache the last nine minutes
They beat Tennessee, Providence, UW-Milwaukee, UAB twice, Providence, Purdue, Houston twice, etc.

They have no fewer than four NBA players on that team, and they can absolutely bring it on both ends of the floor. CUSA sucks, but that's why they swept through the league with only one loss. They would have been 1st or 2nd in the Big 12. Oh by the way, as KU continues to trumpet their youth....Memphis has 6 freshman and 2 sophmores in their top 9 players. The one knock is their youth and how they'll handle the tourney pressure, but they've earned a #1 seed.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I guess your logic is boneheaded. I didn't say CUSA was better than the Big 12. I'm saying both aren't very good and that the rest of CUSA has no impact on how Memphis would fare in the Big 12.

If I can state my opinion, I'd say Memphis would finish #2 in the Big 12.

I guess you just like to ignore facts. I'm sorry, but out of how any conferences are in this country and people try to say the B12 isn't very good? I say bullshit. B12 is a top 5 conference. So, your logic is boneheaded, my friend.

KevB
03-12-2006, 01:50 PM
As for Gonzaga, they play to the level of their competition. They played tough against, UCONN, Memphis and Michigan St., but looked terrible in some of their conference games. I think they'll be a tough out, but could clearly get knocked out early.

I think UCLA is a threat. They have solid guard play, Farmar is tough, and some senior leadership with Bozeman.

No team is infallible. As pimp tries to shoot holes in Memphis' resume, you could do the same with every team in the country. You say UT kicked Memphis and Duke didn't because they played poorly. Well I watched the Memphis/Texas game, and it was far and away their worst performance of the year. In fact, neither team looked very good that day. The Memphis/Duke game was pretty well played, with Memphis' talent shutting down Reddick, but struggling with Shelden Williams. On the other hand, Paulus couldn't handle Darius Washington and Shawne Williams was the most talented player on the court that day.

DJay23
03-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Your conference does matter. Why do you think Big East, ACC, and Big 10 teams are always in the final or winning the title? Because those are good conferences that get teams really ready for the tournament. I say Memphis is a fantastic team, but I can't see them getting to the Final 4 for this reason.

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 01:53 PM
I guess you just like to ignore facts. I'm sorry, but out of how any conferences are in this country and people try to say the B12 isn't very good? I say bullshit. B12 is a top 5 conference. So, your logic is boneheaded, my friend.

It isn't very good, especially compared to the Big East, ACC, and Big Ten. Like I said before, the Big 12 has one team that I think could do any kind of damage in the tourney. To talk about how Memphis couldn't finish better than 4th in the Big 12 just because they play in CUSA is absurd.

jspchief
03-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think Memphis is over-rated, but I could see them getting beat early in the tourney.

Most of the tough games they've played came a long time ago. They skated through a weak conference, and may not be ready for the tougher competition of the tourney.

KevB
03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't think Memphis is over-rated, but I could see them getting beat early in the tourney.

Most of the tough games they've played came a long time ago. They skated through a weak conference, and may not be ready for the tougher competition of the tourney.

That's a reasonable argument for sure. As a Memphis fan, that's my concern. Having said that, they weren't playing well two and three weeks ago....but they really looked good yesterday and Friday. They got back to defending like crazy and completely shut down Houston and UAB, two decent teams.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 02:17 PM
It isn't very good, especially compared to the Big East, ACC, and Big Ten. Like I said before, the Big 12 has one team that I think could do any kind of damage in the tourney.
As much as you try to make a deal of the difference between the BE, ACC, BT compared to the B12, you conveniently ignore the difference between the B12 and Conf. USA. It's a much bigger difference. But again, why let facts get in the way. :rolleyes:

To talk about how Memphis couldn't finish better than 4th in the Big 12 just because they play in CUSA is absurd.

No more absurd than to say they would finish 1st or 2nd. It's really difficult to say. In any case, I never really said what I thought about Memphis. Frankly, I think they are a very strong #2 or possibly a #1 seed. But IMO, they would definitely have at least 3 conference losses if they played in the B12.

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I think it is absurd to say they'd finish behind Kansas and Oklahoma. Neither of those teams have accomplished what Memphis has done. Oklahoma is Kansas' only good win to this point, and they're likely about a 7 seed in the tourney. Oklahoma beat Texas and that is their only win of relevance.

Again, I wasn't trying to compare the Big 12 and CUSA. I don't think either is very good. But to say Memphis wouldn't succeed in the Big 12 because of CUSA is baseless.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I think it is absurd to say they'd finish behind Kansas and Oklahoma. Neither of those teams have accomplished what Memphis has done. Oklahoma is Kansas' only good win to this point, and they're likely about a 7 seed in the tourney. Oklahoma beat Texas and that is their only win of relevance.

Again, I wasn't trying to compare the Big 12 and CUSA. I don't think either is very good. But to say Memphis wouldn't succeed in the Big 12 because of CUSA is baseless.

I think you're high if you think Kansas is a #7 seed. They will be higher than that for sure. I think most experts would be shocked if KU was as low as a 7 seed. They've won 14 out of the last 15 games.

I never said Memphis wouldn't succeed in the B12. I simply said they would have more than 1 conference loss. The B12 is a tougher conference than Conf. USA. B12 does not suck. You're saying that based on your opinion, not on the facts.

jspchief
03-12-2006, 02:32 PM
B12 does not suck. Umm, this year? Yea, it does.

SLAG
03-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Looks like they just showed KS at an #4 Seed

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I think you're high if you think Kansas is a #7 seed. They will be higher than that for sure. I think most experts would be shocked if KU was as low as a 7 seed. They've won 14 out of the last 15 games.

I never said Memphis wouldn't succeed in the B12. I simply said they would have more than 1 conference loss. The B12 is a tougher conference than Conf. USA. B12 does not suck. You're saying that based on your opinion, not on the facts.

I said Oklahoma was a 7 seed. I have Kansas as a 5, coming into today.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Umm, this year? Yea, it does.

Umm, based on what?

RPI conference rankings
1. Big 10
2. Big East
3. ACC
4. SEC
5. Big 12
6. MVC
7. Pac 10
8. Mountain West
9. WAC
10. Colonial
11. A10
12. West Coast
13. Conference USA
14 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
16 Mid American Conference
17 Big Sky Conference
18 Sun Belt Conference
19 Big South Conference
20 Ohio Valley Conference
21 Patriot League
22 Southland Conference
23 Big West Conference
24 Southern Conference
25 Ivy League
26 Northeast Conference
27 America East Conference
28 Mid-Continent Conference
29 Atlantic Sun Conference
30 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

31 Southwestern Athletic Conference
32 Independents

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 02:47 PM
You say 5th like it's a good thing. It's as low as any of the major conferences. That's NOT good.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I said Oklahoma was a 7 seed. I have Kansas as a 5, coming into today.

Ok, I misunderstood you on that. Yeah, sounds about right. Although I think Kansas may get a #4. Or possibly even a #3 seed (although not highly likely considering the way they started the season).

Lzen
03-12-2006, 02:49 PM
You say 5th like it's a good thing. It's as low as any of the major conferences. That's NOT good.

What? Pac 10, WAC, Conf. USA aren't major conferences?

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 02:51 PM
What? Pac 10, WAC, Conf. USA aren't major conferences?

In basketball? Pac 10 is once in awhile. WAC is a 1 big league and CUSA was a 1 bid league until UAB beat Memphis. If you have to compare the Big 12 to those conferences in basketball, they're having a down year.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I never said the Big 12 wasn't having a down year. I know that much. But they don't suck, as you say. That's just plain ignorant.

Bearcat
03-12-2006, 02:58 PM

I've gotten worse as the years have gone by... maybe because I pay more attention now, or maybe because it's harder to predict... probably both :shrug:

This is the first year I'm not going to fill any out. I won't have a lot of time to watch the games, and it's all flipping coins this year anyway.

The two things I knew last year were that UNC was overrated and that Wake Forest was going to at least make it to the NC game. So, yeah.... I'm sure Kentucky will win it all this year :banghead:

HolmeZz
03-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Kansas will probably get a 4 if they hold off Texas there. Too many teams have better resumes for them to sniff a 3. More likely to get a 5 than a 3.

jspchief
03-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I never said the Big 12 wasn't having a down year. I know that much. But they don't suck, as you say. That's just plain ignorant.By Big 12 and power conference standards? Yes, they do suck.

It's ok to admit your conference is having a down year. It happens.

JBucc
03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
By Big 12 and power conference standards? Yes, they do suck.

It's ok to admit your conference is having a down year. It happens.Yeah like the SEC. We suck this year.

Mr. Kotter
03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhaallllllllkkkkkk, Jjjjjjjaaaayyyyyhhhhhawwwwkkkk....
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhaalllllkkk, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhlllkkk, Jjayhawkk....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Go Baby Jays!

:KU:

jspchief
03-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah like the SEC. We suck this year.Yep. Same type of thing.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 03:36 PM
By Big 12 and power conference standards? Yes, they do suck.

It's ok to admit your conference is having a down year. It happens.

I already said the B12 is having a down year. I just disagreed with the notion that it sucks. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The B12 is having a down year because they're very young. But there is a lot of talent there.

luv
03-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I've got my bracket printed out and ready to fill in.

Mr. Kotter
03-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I've got my bracket printed out and ready to fill in.

Why bother when you'll be able to print them, with the Teams and records, from ESPN or CBSSportsline.....in about an hour. Instead of writing, you can just drink instead....

luv
03-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Why bother when you'll be able to print them, with the Teams and records, from ESPN or CBSSportsline.....in about an hour. Instead of writing, you can just drink instead....
True.

Color me clueless, but why are they saying 65 teams when there's 4 regions of 16 equalling 64?

Bearcat
03-12-2006, 04:16 PM
True.

Color me clueless, but why are they saying 65 teams when there's 4 regions of 16 equalling 64?

With the number of automatic bids, they have to have a play-in game to determine who plays the #1 1-seed.

Mr. Kotter
03-12-2006, 04:17 PM
True.

There's a "Play-In" game between the champions of two lesser Conferences who don't have an automatic bid.....or are they at-large bids?

luv
03-12-2006, 04:21 PM
With the number of automatic bids, they have to have a play-in game to determine who plays the #1 1-seed.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Anyone think that Missouri State stands a chance?