PDA

View Full Version : Hope everybody's ok... Lawrence popped...

Braincase
03-12-2006, 10:52 AM
...with a microburst or a small tornado. Seemed to form by Clinton lake, popped my neighborhood with small to medium damage, then tore up a few neighborhoods east and north of here. Power lines down, trees uprooted and knocked over. Pretty nasty in places. No reports of injuries.

Scary part is that the thing moved through here, and then the sirens sounded.

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Hope everyone is good. We live out in Shawnee, and our sirens did go off.

Don't we all feel comfortable with the govt. handling our safety?

Braincase
03-12-2006, 10:59 AM

The Tornado Sirens are now under control of the Department of Homeland Security. Maybe they think it would be better if Lawrence got wiped off the map?

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Read about it , hope all is OK.

I know at 2:00 am today, I was sleeping well when the sirens went off here for the watch. I had kids and young adults all running to my room wondering if we needed to take cover.

Nope, go back to bed kids, just a watch...... but somehow, that wasn't a good enough answer for them until 4:00am. The watch expired at 8:00 am today. It was a long night.

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 11:04 AM
The Tornado Sirens are now under control of the Department of Homeland Security. Maybe they think it would be better if Lawrence got wiped off the map?
Or maybe, like most other govt operations, they were asleep at the wheel.

Bowser
03-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Or maybe, like most other govt operations, they were asleep at the wheel.

Careful, or Tom Cash will put on his cyber boxing gloves and brand you a terrorist, or something.

58-4ever
03-12-2006, 11:06 AM

as long as we are in white neighborhoods, I think we'll be OK. they sure responded pretty quickly in May of 2000 when the biggest tornados ever hit my hometown of Moore, OK.

ChiefButthurt
03-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Expires 12:00 PM CST on March 12, 2006

urgent - immediate broadcast requested
Severe Thunderstorm Watch number 69
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
505 am CST sun Mar 12 2006

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a
Severe Thunderstorm Watch for portions of

central and eastern Kansas

Effective this Sunday morning from 505 am until noon CST.

Hail to 2 inches in diameter... thunderstorm wind gusts to 70
mph... and dangerous lightning are possible in these areas.

The Severe Thunderstorm Watch area is approximately along and 90
statute miles north and south of a line from 40 miles south of
Russell Kansas to 45 miles north northeast of Chanute Kansas. For
a complete depiction of the watch see the associated watch outline
update (wous64 kwns wou9).

Remember... a Severe Thunderstorm Watch means conditions are
favorable for severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area.
Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for threatening
weather conditions and listen for later statements and possible
warnings. Severe thunderstorms can and occasionally do produce
tornadoes.

Other watch information... continue... ww 68...

Discussion... elevated tstms are beginning to develop over S-cntrl KS
within increasingly strong low-level moist and thermal advection
regime. This activity is expected to increase in areal coverage and
intensity this morning nwd through cntrl and ern KS. Given MUCAPES
of 1000-1500 j/kg and 50-60 kts of effective bulk shear... organized
severe storms capable of large hail appear likely.

Aviation... a few severe thunderstorms with hail surface and aloft
to 2 inches. Extreme turbulence and surface wind gusts to 60
knots. A few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 400. Mean storm
motion vector 24035.

I hope you guys are okay.

KcMizzou
03-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Got some pretty good hail here in Parkville. Somewhere between quarter and golf ball sized. I got some minor hail damage on my car. At one point I was worried that it would break the windows out.

ChiefButthurt
03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
03/12/2006 0812 am
Lawrence, Douglas County.
Thunderstorm wind gust m66 mph, reported by ASOS.

03/12/2006 0811 am
Thunderstorm wind gust m76 mph, reported by trained spotter.

03/12/2006 0921 am
Hail m1.25 inch, reported by trained spotter.

03/12/2006 0806 am
3 miles W of Lawrence, Douglas County.
Hail e1.75 inch, reported by Emergency Mngr.

03/12/2006 0817 am
Hail m0.75 inch, reported by NWS employee.

Reported on I-70 between mile marker 338 and 344.

03/12/2006 0817 am
Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by NWS employee.

Tracter trailer blown over at the Lawrence exit of I-70.

03/12/2006 0813 am
Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by Emergency Mngr.

Reports of damage over a large portion of the city.
Reports of windows blown out of cars and strip mall,
damage to trailer park, Mand numerous telephone poles and
trees down.

03/12/2006 0830 am
Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by trained spotter.

Wind damage to fencing

03/12/2006 0819 am
Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by trained spotter.

Large fencing blown down

03/12/2006 0800 am
Lecompton, Douglas County.
Hail e1.00 inch, reported by Emergency Mngr.

Wa-Z
03-12-2006, 11:29 AM
My friends' cars in Lawrence got all ****ed up. I'm glad I didn't go last night.

gblowfish
03-12-2006, 11:53 AM
The Tornado Sirens are now under control of the Department of Homeland Security. Maybe they think it would be better if Lawrence got wiped off the map?I'd check to make sure the Douglas County DHS guy isn't named "Quantrill."

luv
03-12-2006, 11:59 AM
We had sirens going off in my neighborhood yesterday evening. They must've been testing them, because the weather never got that severe.

Nzoner
03-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Got some pretty good hail here in Parkville. Somewhere between quarter and golf ball sized. I got some minor hail damage on my car. At one point I was worried that it would break the windows out.

Yeah I got woke up by hail here this morning,you can imagine what that sounds like living in a metal building.

Braincase
03-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah I got woke up by hail here this morning,you can imagine what that sounds like living in a metal building.

Popcorn!

Nightwish
03-12-2006, 12:52 PM
We had several touchdowns yesterday in this area, mostly in Jefferson County, and a few in Crawford and Montgomery Counties, as well as a couple on the Illinois side. They talked to one guy in Festus who had his entire house blown away. They're expecting Round 2 to hit this evening through the morning hours. They reported that Columbia got some 3-inch hail yesterday.

gblowfish
03-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Everybody in the KC area needs to watch the weather this afternoon. Bad storms are popping up to the southwest and moving at about 50 mph. Things could get nasty today.

LiL stumppy
03-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Im up in willard,right by the airport,we were under a tornado warning for a while,they said they saw rotation right in the street down the road.I didn't see anything,but the sirens were going off for a while and the police were driving around with their sirens on.It wasn't as bad as that made it sound.

gblowfish
03-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Here's the radar from 1pm, this stuff is moving north by northeast and moving real fast. There's also about a 25 degree tempature difference on both sides of the front. Not good.

Demonpenz
03-12-2006, 01:47 PM
come on fema don't **** us

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Bring on the storms. :bang:

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
1400 hours.
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9908/radar0312066rs.jpg

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 02:01 PM
I hear rumblings. Oooooooh.

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I hear rumblings. Oooooooh.
Me too. I'm hungry.

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 02:18 PM
There's a Tornadoe in DTKC. :eek:

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 02:18 PM
There goes the sirens...

memyselfI
03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
GD sirens keep goin off...3 times today. The youngest son is freakin out. It has not rained a single drop the entire day. :shake: :banghead:

JBucc
03-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I can't even hear the sirens where I live. And usually they don't interupt too much, and when they do they usually give us picture in picture so we don't miss something. Only on the real serious storms do they completely stop the show.

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 02:36 PM
So am I the only person that the Emergency Broadcast System isn't working for? Where I'm supposed to hear beeps I hear static, then there is no voice. After a few minutes the audio from the FOX4 comes back up to normal.

Oh, and if you keep setting those f**king sirens off for 2 minutes at a time every 15 or 20 minutes people are going to quit paying attention.

Boozer
03-12-2006, 02:58 PM
So am I the only person that the Emergency Broadcast System isn't working for? Where I'm supposed to hear beeps I hear static, then there is no voice. After a few minutes the audio from the FOX4 comes back up to normal.

Oh, and if you keep setting those f**king sirens off for 2 minutes at a time every 15 or 20 minutes people are going to quit paying attention.

They're not supposed to go off constantly. Just because the sirens have turned off doesn't mean the warning is over.

Bob Dole
03-12-2006, 03:02 PM
There's a Tornadoe in DTKC. :eek:

Oh?

KCChiefsMan
03-12-2006, 03:03 PM
ya I slept through it, the power went off..then I heard really strong winds and I thought it could be a tornado and then I heard hail and then the sirens sounded and it was over. I live pretty close to campus and it seems like there was a lot of trees/big branches down. I didn't get any damage, but my next door neighbor had a huge branch fall on his roof. I finally got the power back on too!

morphius
03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
We just had some quarter sized hail (most of it pea sized) here.

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I just fired off a scathing email to KCTV5 for making me miss the end of the KU game when they decided that showing weather, OUT OF THE AREA, was more important to their local viewers.

Bastards.

morphius
03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I just fired off a scathing email to KCTV5 for making me miss the end of the KU game when they decided that showing weather, OUT OF THE AREA, was more important to their local viewers.

Bastards.
Where was the weather? The area that they are responsible for is rather large.

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Where was the weather? The area that they are responsible for is rather large.
When the weather wench says, "The storm is near Columbia and their stations are already reporting this but ..." then there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED for them to interupt my LOCAL programming.

Dunit35
03-12-2006, 04:47 PM
I had no idea any of this happened till just a few minutes ago. A buddy of mine goes to school at KU and said he had to watch the game at the bar because he had no electricity. Good to know everybody is allright.

Phobia
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM

Maybe it is just for the Phelps' clan.

Nightwish
03-12-2006, 05:04 PM
When the weather wench says, "The storm is near Columbia and their stations are already reporting this but ..." then there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED for them to interupt my LOCAL programming.
They are required to report severe weather conditions in any area that might reasonably be considered part of their broadcast viewing area. If it is reasonable to assume that people in the Columbia area are able to receive broadcast signals (not cable signals) from their station, then they are required to report severe weather for that area. That's how it was explained to us last night by our local 5 news station when they kept interrupting CSI every five minutes to report on new tornado warnings halfway across southern Illinois.

With luck, in the future, cable/satellite technology will allow viewers to choose between watching the network broadcast, or watching the alerts broadcast by the local affiliate.

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 05:18 PM
They are required to report severe weather conditions in any area that might reasonably be considered part of their broadcast viewing area. If it is reasonable to assume that people in the Columbia area are able to receive broadcast signals (not cable signals) from their station, then they are required to report severe weather for that area. That's how it was explained to us last night by our local 5 news station when they kept interrupting CSI every five minutes to report on new tornado warnings halfway across southern Illinois.

With luck, in the future, cable/satellite technology will allow viewers to choose between watching the network broadcast, or watching the alerts broadcast by the local affiliate.
I don't have a problem with reporting the weather, if it's timely. Staying on the same subject for 30 minutes is unacceptable. Telling people over and over again for 30 minutes about the same bad weather, in the same location, is inappropriate. No other station in the KC Metro area spent more than 5 minutes on that particular storm. They did what they were supposed to do.

"People in Location X, there is potentially threatening weather in your area. Please take shelter immediately. We will keep you advised."

That's the way it's supposed to be done.

But is that what KCTV5 did? Hell no.

We were allowed to hear such snappy phrases as, "Some other meteorologists in town make fun of me for saying this but, ..." and, "This tornado is crossing I-70 ... errr ... OK it may not be a tornado BUT it COULD be and it's just spinning up in the clouds."

Is Katie Horner airing her beef with other meteorologists on local television during an alleged severe weather broadcast really appropriate? Is inaccurately referring to a potential tornado "a tornado" acceptable?

No. It is not.

It's clear that Katie Horner hires a hesitation coach for her broadcast. Every other word is, "Uh" or, "Ummm." Totally unprofessional.

When their weather team zooms in on a location, displaying the streets,
does Katie Horner REALLY need to tell us these are streets? After all, they are clearly marked as such. Does KCTV5 feel that their audience is so full of dullards and drop outs that Katie Horner has to point this out to us?

Give me a break.

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM

Bastards.
They said a billion times the game was on ESPN. :rolleyes:

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 05:50 PM
They said a billion times the game was on ESPN. :rolleyes:
What if I don't have ESPN, smarty pants?

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
What if I don't have ESPN, smarty pants?
Well then, that's just your problem, isn't it?

:)

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Well then, that's just your problem, isn't it?

You were suppossed to invite me over to watch with you, damnit! :cuss:

:p

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
You were suppossed to invite me over to watch with you, damnit! :cuss:

:p
The Tigers weren't playing.

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 06:10 PM
The Tigers weren't playing.
Are you calling me a Tigers fan?

*rolling up both is sleeves*

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Are you calling me a Tigers fan?

*rolling up both is sleeves*
You wanna make something of it?

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 06:18 PM
You wanna make something of it?
Woman or not, I will beat you 3 different ways for that if need be.

Fast, hard and continuously.

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Woman or not, I will beat you 3 different ways for that if need be.

Fast, hard and continuously.
ROFL - Who do you take me for? One of those women you have in your sigs? :shake:

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 06:24 PM
ROFL - Who do you take me for? One of those women you have in your sigs? :shake:
You mean ... you don't look like Fluffy? :p :p :p

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 06:25 PM
You mean ... you don't look like Fluffy? :p :p :p
I'd kill Fluffy and eat it for breakfast. :grr:

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Bah! Fluffy is the destroyer of worlds! You wouldn't stand a fighting chance!

Coach
03-12-2006, 06:41 PM

That's so frazod-like. ROFL

Frazod
03-12-2006, 06:43 PM
That's so frazod-like. ROFL
You gotta problem with that? :mad:

Coach
03-12-2006, 06:45 PM
You gotta a problem with that? :mad: