PDA

View Full Version : Nascar WTF? Help Me Understand.

Bwana
03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
How in the hell can your guys watch that stuff? I have some friends who drove down to Las Vegas that are at the race right now. Because fo this, I decided to tune in and try to check it out again. :shake: I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to go watch some paint dry for an upgrade in excitement.

Seriously, how can anyone sit there in front of the TV and watch cars go around in little circles for several hours? :spock: Perhaps it's more entertaining if you are AT THE RACE, (?) but trying to hang with it on TV Blows.

chief52
03-12-2006, 04:42 PM
It is very colorful, crazy and exciting to attend in person. Amazing energy similiar to a football game IMO. Watching on TV can have its boring stretches. I bet your buddies are having a great time right now, though!

BigVE
03-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Just like fly-fishing or many other "sports"....either you like it or you dont.

SPchief
03-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, Chiefs4me likes it, if that tells you anything

Bwana
03-12-2006, 04:44 PM
It is very colorful, crazy and exciting to attend in person. Amazing energy similiar to a football game IMO. Watching on TV can have its boring stretches. I bet your buddies are having a great time right now, though!

Indeed! I called them this morning adn they were getting ready to go into the pits and fighting a wicked hangover. :D

Bwana
03-12-2006, 04:46 PM

Um..yeah.

4th and Long
03-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Driving left in circles is not a sport. Make half the field drive in the opposite direction and THEN you've got yourself a sport.

JBucc
03-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Watch the first ten laps, then the last ten laps, and catch all the crashes on the SportsCenter highlights.

VonneMarie
03-12-2006, 04:54 PM
ROFL

Nzoner
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Being married to a diehard fan is no fun either,she's in two fantasy nascar leagues,watches Friday thru Sunday(qualifying,busch race,big race),watches Speed channel and tries to converse with me about it all.

If this is my payback for my football passion it sucks,a few moths I could handle,but this shit lasts for 10 months every year and her and her sisters want me to buy that these guys are some the of finest tuned athletes in the world.

Bwana
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Driving left in circles is not a sport. Make half the field drive in the opposite direction and THEN you've got yourself a sport.

If that were the case, I would rank it up there with football in tune in weekly.

Bwana
03-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Being married to a diehard fan is no fun either,she's in two fantasy nascar leagues,watches Friday thru Sunday(qualifying,busch race,big race),watches Speed channel and tries to converse with me about it all.

If this is my payback for my football passion it sucks,a few moths I could handle,but this shit lasts for 10 months every year and her and her sisters want me to buy that these guys are some the of finest tuned athletes in the world.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Joe. :shake:

alanm
03-12-2006, 05:05 PM
With me it's a ingrained thing. My Dad and brothers used to race when I was younger and one of my sisters hubby's family still does. Once March starts they go all over the midwest still and hit the dirt track circut and smaller oval asphalt tracks.
There's a lot of stratedgy involved outside of just driving around in a circle. :)

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 05:10 PM
...and her and her sisters want me to buy that these guys are some the of finest tuned athletes in the world.
ROFL

Yeah, I'm sure they'd hold their own in a decathalon against a WR, point guard, outfielder...

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 05:12 PM
There's a lot of stratedgy involved outside of just driving around in a circle. :)
Racing strategy cheat sheet:

1. Don't hit a wall
2. Don't hit another car
3. Stop every so often to get gas and new tires
4. Go faster than everyone else

Adept Havelock
03-12-2006, 05:13 PM
With me it's a ingrained thing. My Dad and brothers used to race when I was younger and one of my sisters hubby's family still does. Once March starts they go all over the midwest still and hit the dirt track circut and smaller oval asphalt tracks.

Yes. There is also dodging the other cars, and watching the fuel needle drop towards E.

Riveting stuff, that. Easily rivals chess against a grandmaster for strategy. ;)

alanm
03-12-2006, 05:13 PM

1. Don't hit a wall
2. Don't hit another car
4. Go faster than everyone else
In a nutshell. :D

Bwana
03-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh don't get me wrong alanm, if someone is into it, that's great and I have had friends that race and have listened to what they have to go through in a race. I know it's a lot more involved than driving around in little circles. I may have to fly out to a race at some point and check it out, but for me, watching it on TV is about like trying to hang with the womans NBA for two hours. :ZZZ:

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 05:19 PM
...watching it on TV is about like trying to hang with the womans NBA for two hours. :ZZZ:
Wow, there's an interresting philisophical quadry. NASCAR or WNBA? If lethal injection was an option I'd have to seriously consider it.

Pitt Gorilla
03-12-2006, 05:25 PM

1. Don't hit a wall
2. Don't hit another car
4. Go faster than everyone elseI wouldn't defend racing, but I'm guessing you could condense most sports similarly. Basketball, baseball, football, etc.= score more points than the other team.

Nzoner
03-12-2006, 05:28 PM
ROFL

Yeah, I'm sure they'd hold their own in a decathalon against a WR, point guard, outfielder...

I tried having that discussion with them and finally gave up and told them that all the drivers were gay because they spend each weekend chasing The Pole.That went over well but at least now I'm not invited to any of their race get togethers.

Coach
03-12-2006, 05:34 PM
I tried having that discussion with them and finally gave up and told them that all the drivers were gay because they spend each weekend chasing The Pole.That went over well but at least now I'm not invited to any of their race get togethers.

I guess that's not a bad thing then. :shrug:

Baconeater
03-12-2006, 05:35 PM

ROFL

I like NASCAR, but that's damn funny! Joining a NASCAR fantasy league is taking it to a level I can't quite comprehend either.

KC2004
03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Found this article interesting.

WVU (http://www.wvu.edu/~philosophy/christopherryan.html)

Are NASCAR Drivers Athletes?

THE QUESTION of the week is: “Are NASCAR drivers athletes?” This week, our guest artist and philosopher is Christopher Ryan. Chris is a very thoughtful, kind, and considerate 10 year old, who lives in St. James, Long Island and Silver Beach , the Bronx . Although he can be very serious, Chris also has a fabulous sense of humor. He is a 5 th grader at Mills Pond Elementary School in St. James. His teacher is Mr. Thornton.

Christopher's favorite subjects are math and social studies. He loves to play all sports, especially baseball, football, and hockey. He also likes to watch sports. In the summer, he enjoys going to Yankee Stadium with his dad to watch the Yankees play baseball. His favorite football team is the New York Giants. His favorite hockey team is the New York Rangers. And, his favorite baseball team is the New York Yankees. Chris likes watching movies too. Recent favorites include “Remember the Titans” and “ Madagascar .”

The question Chris took on is: Are NASCAR drivers athletes? My discussion with Chris was the most in-depth interview, thus far, with THE QUESTION. We talked for over one hour, and we could have gone on for much longer. Chris defended the view that NASCAR drivers are athletes. Simply put, his argument for his conclusion is that NASCAR is clearly a professional sport. All people who play professional sports are athletes. Therefore, NASCAR drivers are athletes.

Chris skillfully defended his view from several objections. One objection I raised for him is the following objection. “In order to qualify as an athlete, a person must demonstrate physical agility, be coordinated, and be in good physical condition. Driving a racing car requires none of these qualifications. Therefore, NASCAR Drivers do not qualify as athletes.” Chris had two responses. Chris maintained that these standards are probably too high. According to these standards, many golfers, football players, baseball players, etc. would probably not count as athletes. But, according to Chris, they obviously should count as athletes. Chris also pointed out that driving a race car for hundreds of miles does require enormous stamina, physical fitness, coordination, and a reasonable amount of agility. So, even if those standards were appropriate, NASCAR drivers could all easily pass the test. Driving a race car does not require the sort of aerobic fitness required for marathoners, but Chris pointed out that different sports require different types of physical fitness. For example, a linebacker needs to be strong and agile. He would not need to have the aerobic capacity to run a marathon. A marathoner needs the capacity to run 26.5 miles, quickly. However, she does not need to be able to stop a 500+ lb. stampede of football players. Marathoners tend to be lightweight and thin. Being lightweight and thin helps marathoners excel in their sport. Being thin and lightweight would not be much help to a linebacker. In fact, being thin and lightweight would be a great disadvantage to a linebacker. One need not be light and thin or be of linebacker strength to be an excellent race car driver, but one does need to be in “car driving physical shape” to be a NASCAR driver. Drivers need to be able to withstand the physical challenges of dealing with extreme heat and the challenge of physically handling a race car going over one hundred miles per hour. NASCAR drivers need extremely sharp reflexes, endurance, courage, and split-second decision making skills.

Another objection Chris considered against his own view is this one: “If NASCAR drivers are athletes, then so are all chess players. But, clearly not all chess players are athletes. Therefore, NASCAR drivers are not athletes.” Chris's response to this attack on the athleticism of NASCAR drivers is that “Unlike NASCAR driving, Chess does not require any kind of physical fitness, physical strength, or physical coordination (other than what is required to move a chess piece.)”

Chris also stressed his simple, original, argument, which is that people who play sports (at a certain level) are athletes. He did not say that people who play games are athletes. Since chess is a game, but not a sport, he would not be stuck with the conclusion that chess players are athletes. Chris is only stuck with the conclusion that all people who play professional sports are athletes, and he is happy to be stuck with this conclusion.

(FYI: Chris's brother, Kyle, was chiming in throughout the interview. When we were discussing the chess objection, Kyle maintained that the World Chess Championship should count as a sporting event. It should count as a sport that requires absolutely no athleticism. With this comment, Kyle raised an interesting objection to Chris's claim that anyone who plays a professional sport is an athlete. Of course, now we have a new philosophical question: When is a game a sport?”)

Keep thinking!

I am proud to reveal that Christopher Ryan is my nephew.

morphius
03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Oh don't get me wrong alanm, if someone is into it, that's great and I have had friends that race and have listened to what they have to go through in a race. I know it's a lot more involved than driving around in little circles. I may have to fly out to a race at some point and check it out, but for me, watching it on TV is about like trying to hang with the womans NBA for two hours. :ZZZ:
I have heard a lot of fans say its better to watch on TV then live, so going there isn't going to help you much. I went to an Indy race here in KC, free tickets first row, and was pretty damn bored. Most likely you will be looking at the wrong direction when the wreck happens, and I don't think any tracks have a cool replay screen to show you what you missed.

Bwana
03-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Hmmm? So some dude named Jimmie Johnson won, is that a good or a bad thing?

Demonpenz
03-12-2006, 05:57 PM
it was a good finish although nascar has a hard on for yellow flags. Seeing all the cars go from 180 to 55 on a croweded pit is cool

Baconeater
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM

It wasn't a good thing for some dude named Matt Kenseth.

Bwana
03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
It wasn't a good thing for some dude named Matt Kenseth.

Indeed ROFL he got smoked there at the end.

Nzoner
03-12-2006, 07:22 PM

At least the mrs will be in a good mood this week.

chiefs4me
03-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Um..yeah.

yea it's much more entertaining to watch the leaves blow while you are sitting in a deer stand for 12 freaking hours waiting for a helpless deer to appear to blow him away......:rolleyes: :harumph:

Bwana
03-12-2006, 07:32 PM
yea it's much more entertaing to watch the leaves blow while you are sitting in a deer stand for 12 freaking hours waiting for a helpless deer to appear to blow him away......:rolleyes: :harumph:

I don't hunt from stands but even if I did, I would still have to call bullshit.

"helpless deer" WTF? Did you join PETA when I wasn't watching or what?

chiefs4me
03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't hunt from stands but even if I did, I would still have to call bullshit.

"helpless deer" WTF? Did you join PETA when I wasn't watching or what?

ROFL NO, but the deer doesn't have a gun....:shrug:

Bwana
03-12-2006, 07:36 PM
ROFL NO, but the deer doesn't have a gun....:shrug:

The sun sets in the west, what the **** is your point?

chiefs4me
03-12-2006, 07:43 PM
The sun sets in the west, what the **** is your point?

You asked if I joined peta..you quoted my helpless deer quote, I replied.....simple as that. I could ask you the same thing, what the hell is your point????ROFL

milkman
03-12-2006, 07:44 PM

So Johnson won the Pole?

KCChiefsMan
03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
I have found that if you ever need to go to Wal-Mart, the best time to go is during a Nascar race

Bwana
03-13-2006, 06:58 AM
I have found that if you ever need to go to Wal-Mart, the best time to go is during a Nascar race

Heh, I bet you're right.

StcChief
03-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Formula 1 is car racing sport, more than left turns on banked oval.

24 hours of daytona.

Sorry continuous left turns is not racing. It might be rubbing....

Amnorix
03-13-2006, 07:06 AM
I'm not a huge Nascar fan, but really it comes down to having one or a few favorite drivers, and rooting for them.

And, of course, waiting for wrecks...

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Anyone remember the old "Superstars" competitions? They got "athletes" from all sports to compete in a series of events. When the rodeo cowboys and race car drivers showed up it really got comical.

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm not a huge Nascar fan, but really it comes down to having one or a few favorite drivers, and rooting for them.

And, of course, waiting for wrecks...
Both of my brothers are NASCAR freaks. I've tried to get into it but it is just too boring. I asked them how they decided who to root for and neither one could give me an answer.

cadmonkey
03-13-2006, 07:46 AM

I'm really sick of the "its not a sport" or "they are not athletes" shit.

If you understand everything that goes on durring the course of a race such as pit stradegy, car set ups, drivers finding different lines on the track that their cars handle better in, etc.. you would begin to appreciate and even enjoy the sport.

I understand that they only make left turns and "I do that in my own car everysingle day". You don't do it going into a turn going an average of 175 mph and slowing to 140 mph in the center of the turn. Most times the drivers are dealing with G Forces around felt only by Air Force Fighter Jet Pilots. Do that for 3 to 4 hours and it'll put a big toll on your body.

on top of that, NASCAR, Indy, Cart and what ever other type of driver sustain a constnat heart rate of around 170 beats per minute. this is only topped by cyclists such as Lance Armstrong in the Tour De France.

Say what you want, but these guys and girls ARE ATHLETES. Just because they don't use a ball or puck it doesn't mean it isn't a sport.

and for the last time a sport is defined as a "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

If you don't get it, don't watch it.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 07:51 AM
I don't see how people pick a favorite driver, just like I don't see how golf fans pick a favorite golfer.

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 07:54 AM
I don't see how people pick a favorite driver, just like I don't see how golf fans pick a favorite golfer.
For me it's whoever has the hottest wife. Phil Mickelson is my favorite golfer.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 07:56 AM
For me it's whoever has the hottest wife. Phil Mickelson is my favorite golfer.
I tend to see the most white trashiest of the people seem to love Earnhardt.

stevieray
03-13-2006, 08:01 AM
I think that it's the same thing with country music, it got popular when hip hop and rap started "dominating" airwaves.

morphius
03-13-2006, 08:12 AM

If you understand everything that goes on durring the course of a race such as pit stradegy, car set ups, drivers finding different lines on the track that their cars handle better in, etc.. you would begin to appreciate and even enjoy the sport.

I understand that they only make left turns and "I do that in my own car everysingle day". You don't do it going into a turn going an average of 175 mph and slowing to 140 mph in the center of the turn. Most times the drivers are dealing with G Forces around felt only by Air Force Fighter Jet Pilots. Do that for 3 to 4 hours and it'll put a big toll on your body.

on top of that, NASCAR, Indy, Cart and what ever other type of driver sustain a constnat heart rate of around 170 beats per minute. this is only topped by cyclists such as Lance Armstrong in the Tour De France.

Say what you want, but these guys and girls ARE ATHLETES. Just because they don't use a ball or puck it doesn't mean it isn't a sport.

and for the last time a sport is defined as a "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

If it makes you feel any better, I really don't consider any racing a sport, though I'm still debating if I should exclude motocross as a sport.

Though I do find it funny how upset people get when people don't consider things "sports". I don't think bowling, golf, gymnastics, and ice dancing as sports either, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they are not easy. Some things are just games, races and athletic showcases get over it already.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 08:12 AM

I’m not a NASCAR fan, love race’n but NASCAR is just too boring. Might as well watch golf on TV, and IMO if you’re gonna race on pavement there should be right hand turns and elevation changes involved. All circle tracks should be dirt, IMO.
That being said, G-forces are something that almost everyone ignores when making the comparison of “athletes”.
I don’t know NASCAR, like I posted it’s not my thing, but in Formula 1 those guys face constantly shifting g-forces up to and exceeding 3 g’s of cornering force and 4 g’s of deceleration. If you get into NHRA drag racing, top fuelers leave the line facing 5 g’s of acceleration tapering off to ‘bout 1 g at the finish line then get over 3 g’s of deceleration when they pop the ‘chut.
IMO, being able to manipulate controls with each appendage independently while facing these kinds of outside influences is impressive even if you don’t consider them “athletes”.

cadmonkey
03-13-2006, 08:14 AM

Some people will pick a driver by who their sponsor is. Some pick a driver by their driving style (aggressive driver, conservativer driver, he's s dick on the track etc.)

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 08:14 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I really don't consider any racing a sport, though I'm still debating if I should exclude motocross as a sport.

Though I do find it funny how upset people get when people don't consider things "sports". I don't think bowling, golf, gymnastics, and ice dancing as sports either, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they are not easy. Some things are just games, races and athletic showcases get over it already.

That’s sell’n what they’re do’n short, IMO.

morphius
03-13-2006, 08:18 AM
That’s sell’n what they’re do’n short, IMO.
How so? I'm a bowler, I don't think it is easy to be a good bowler, and you have to be in some sort of shape to throw as many balls as those guys do in a tourney and keep up the accuracy and speed. But I don't think of it as a sport.

I'm not saying that what they are doing is easy by any means, and not everyone could do it well.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 08:34 AM
How so? I'm a bowler, I don't think it is easy to be a good bowler, and you have to be in some sort of shape to throw as many balls as those guys do in a tourney and keep up the accuracy and speed. But I don't think of it as a sport.

I'm not saying that what they are doing is easy by any means, and not everyone could do it well.

I guess that’s what makes a “sport” to me, level of difficulty.

Amnorix
03-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Both of my brothers are NASCAR freaks. I've tried to get into it but it is just too boring. I asked them how they decided who to root for and neither one could give me an answer.

My law school rommate was a huge Nascar fan. He basically told me Mark Martin was cool and Jeff Gordon was an arrogant A-hole, and I adopted that line of thinking.

As I watched a bit more, I got to know a few drivers from interviews and the like and read a little bit about it, and had a few other drivers I liked and disliked.

Suffice to say, however, I haven't seen more than 10 minutes of Nascar at a stretch in over 10 years. I doc onsider it fairly boring -- it's in league with baseball and golf. I kind of keep my ears tuned for big news, but otherwise mostly never watch them. Too dull.

Amnorix
03-13-2006, 08:46 AM

and NO VOTING

If the sport involves a panel of judges picking who won, then I'm sorry, it's nto a sport. It's a game, contest, competition or whatever else you want, but not a sport.

And I have no doubt that figure skaters are in much better condition than baseball players, "athletically", but that doesn't change a damn thing IMHO.

Thig Lyfe
03-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I am proud to reveal that Christopher Ryan is my nephew.

Yuck. Who would be proud to be related to a Yankees fan...

morphius
03-13-2006, 08:50 AM
For me it is more the level of actual competition directly influencing the outcome, not some implied pressure. Just having stratigy isn't enough either for that matter. I mean really, playing Quake would be considered a sport if NASCAR is.

I'm more along the lines of a real offense a real defense mixed in with athletic ability, so that football, baseball, tennis, hockey, bball and all those are sports. Swimming, 100 meter dash, marathon, horse racing, car racing, etc do not fit into that.

morphius
03-13-2006, 08:51 AM
and NO VOTING

If the sport involves a panel of judges picking who won, then I'm sorry, it's nto a sport. It's a game, contest, competition or whatever else you want, but not a sport.

And I have no doubt that figure skaters are in much better condition than baseball players, "athletically", but that doesn't change a damn thing IMHO.

Absolutly! No votoing ever! Its called the Olympic GAMES not the Olympic SPORTS.

Sully
03-13-2006, 08:54 AM
I can watch a few races a year. It's got some decent strategy.
I can't imagine how difficult it would be at a live race to keep track of who was ahead of whom.

morphius
03-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I can watch a few races a year. It's got some decent strategy.
I can't imagine how difficult it would be at a live race to keep track of who was ahead of whom.
They have scoreboards with numbers on them to show what the running order is.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 08:57 AM
and NO VOTING

That would also eliminate boxing, MMA or other fighting, and I do consider those “sports”.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 08:59 AM
For me it is more the level of actual competition directly influencing the outcome, not some implied pressure. Just having stratigy isn't enough either for that matter. I mean really, playing Quake would be considered a sport if NASCAR is.

I'm more along the lines of a real offense a real defense mixed in with athletic ability, so that football, baseball, tennis, hockey, bball and all those are sports. Swimming, 100 meter dash, marathon, horse racing, car racing, etc do not fit into that.

Racing is probably one of the oldest “sports”. In fact, I’d bet the vast majority of “sports” originate from a simple foot race.

chefsos
03-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I think becoming a NASCAR (or any form of racing) fan is similar to becoming a fan of football, baseball, etc. You either love it or you don't, and if it doesn't get you at an early age it probably never will.

I got into NASCAR at about the same time as I did the Chiefs and Orioles, when I was 12, and my larger-than-life heroes were Len Dawson, Jim Palmer, and Bobby Allison. Can't explain why or how; it just happened, so I really have no way to convince a non-fan to pick up on it. And I have no desire to. To each his own, y'know?

Here's the way I see the comparison of "sports": Nearly everyone can drive a car on the street. Nearly everyone can toss a football in the back yard. The ability required for each, I believe, is roughly the same distance removed from the ability required to drive a race car and be an NFL quarterback, respectively.

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 09:48 AM
...I asked them how they decided who to root for and neither one could give me an answer.

That doesnt really mean much. I became a Chiefs fan in the 80's...Im not sure I can tell you why I decided to root for such a horrid football team either.

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 09:53 AM

That's the reason that the future of racing lies in The Cannonball Run.

http://www.spiralupdatenews.com/cannonballrun.jpg

morphius
03-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Racing is probably one of the oldest “sports”. In fact, I’d bet the vast majority of “sports” originate from a simple foot race.
One could say that wrestling is more so, heck, many ancient tribes still wrestle. But racing, yeah, probably one of the original "games". :D

I don't mind boxing and the others as sports, because there are ways to win without the judges. Many of the other fighting sports are even more well defined in their scoring, so no issue there.

SPchief
03-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Again, I want to point out that C4ME is a fan, if that tells you anything.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 10:17 AM
One could say that wrestling is more so, heck, many ancient tribes still wrestle. But racing, yeah, probably one of the original "games". :D

I don't mind boxing and the others as sports, because there are ways to win without the judges. Many of the other fighting sports are even more well defined in their scoring, so no issue there.

:shrug: Football’s just a game also. Though, I’ll admit I don’t consider a rousing game of Risk to be a “sport” no matter how much azz I rule at it. ;)

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 10:19 AM

:shrug: If C4ME said she loves steak, would you swear off all red meat?

Rausch
03-13-2006, 10:22 AM
:shrug: Football’s just a game also. Though, I’ll admit I don’t consider a rousing game of Risk to be a “sport” no matter how much azz I rule at it. ;)

Play me after a 12 pack.... :)

dr00d
03-13-2006, 10:24 AM

wow, that just sucks

here is my beef about nascar:
why would you watch/be involved in ANY sport that you lose the advantage or lead when someone has an accident BEHIND YOU!
That is the single most rediculous thing I have ever heard. It would be like the chiefs being up on someone by 10 points, then one of their players gets hurt, so lets add 9 points back on the board for them...it is just plain retarded!

better yet--someone crashes with 3 laps to go...so basically it is a shoot out the last 3 laps..sure that might be exciting, but why the hell did I just watch the other 300 laps?

morphius
03-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Thats okay, I used to be pretty good at getting Frags in quake/UT/doom... But wouldn't exacly brag about how great I am at sports because of it, LOL!

A sport can be a game, but a game doesn't have to be a sport. UNO

Rausch
03-13-2006, 10:30 AM
NASCAR drivers, Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, Larry the Cable Guy, Kid Rock, Rosanne Barr, Billy Bob Thornton, 90% of people on reality TV shows.

I must be the only white trash @$$hole unable to parlay the lifestyle into immense riches...

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I knew a guy for whom Risk was kind of a sport. I played against him one time, and when it appeared obvious that he was not going to win, he flipped the board over with great physical emphasis. He was 21 or 22 at the time, and never joined our game again after that.

Chief Henry
03-13-2006, 10:32 AM

Wrestling would also be one of the oldest sports know to man.
I can't stand WWE but i enjoy watching HS kids and college boys give they're all.

chefsos
03-13-2006, 10:37 AM
wow, that just sucks

why would you watch/be involved in ANY sport that you lose the advantage or lead when someone has an accident BEHIND YOU!
That is the single most rediculous thing I have ever heard. It would be like the chiefs being up on someone by 10 points, then one of their players gets hurt, so lets add 9 points back on the board for them...it is just plain retarded!

better yet--someone crashes with 3 laps to go...so basically it is a shoot out the last 3 laps..sure that might be exciting, but why the hell did I just watch the other 300 laps?

No argument here. That stuff does suck even for racin' fans, especially if your guy is the one out front. NASCAR's all about the show and keeping things as tight as possible. Many fans pine for the good ol' days, but I remember those days, too. Sometimes a guy would win a race by three or four laps.:ZZZ:

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Do they still do races on a figure-8 track any more? That would be kind of cool.

Nzoner
03-13-2006, 11:18 AM
I think becoming a NASCAR (or any form of racing) fan is similar to becoming a fan of football, baseball, etc. You either love it or you don't, and if it doesn't get you at an early age it probably never will.

Not so in my case,had my mrs been a Nascar fan when we met I doubt we'd ever gotten married.

shakesthecat
03-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Do they still do races on a figure-8 track any more? That would be kind of cool.

Yep, the track at our county fairgrounds has figure-8 races all summer.

chefsos
03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Not so in my case,had my mrs been a Nascar fan when we met I doubt we'd ever gotten married.
I should have specified that my theory, like most, is fouled up by the female population. :)

morphius
03-13-2006, 11:25 AM
I thought I heard that Jesse James races in that series, or has a car in that series. Pretty trippy stuff though.

chefsos
03-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I thought I heard that Jesse James races in that series, or has a car in that series. Pretty trippy stuff though.
I haven't seen that crazy figure-8 stuff since Wide World of Sports' heyday. I guess that would be a really intense version of your average 4-way stop.

"You go."
"No, you."
BAM BAM!
"Both of ya, outta my way!"

morphius
03-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I haven't seen that crazy figure-8 stuff since Wide World of Sports' heyday. I guess that would be a really intense version of your average 4-way stop.

"You go."
"No, you."
BAM BAM!
"Both of ya, outta my way!"
I saw a part of a couple races last year on TV, no idea which channel though.

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 11:46 AM
NASCAR needs to have a halftime. Then in the second half everybody goes around the other way. All right turns.

Nzoner
03-13-2006, 11:58 AM
NASCAR needs to have a halftime. Then in the second half everybody goes around the other way. All right turns.

And a halftime show,they could race 10 cars on the track and then select 20 or so drunken rednecks to run across the track.Kind of a death race 2000,if they make it they win a keg of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 12:17 PM
wow, that just sucks

Interesting you’d mention that. I do watch FIM Super Bike and GP Bikes, whenever I can find’em, and they work on “aggregate” time if the race has to be stopped by a yellow flag.
The way they do it is if the leader, just for example, was ahead by 30 seconds the person in second would have to place ahead of that person by at least 30 seconds to take the lead after the restart. It gets a little difficult for the spectator, but that seems as fair as it could be made to me.

Fat Elvis
03-13-2006, 12:24 PM
And a halftime show,they could race 10 cars on the track and then select 20 or so drunken rednecks to run across the track.Kind of a death race 2000,if they make it they win a keg of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I'd watch that.

Cochise
03-13-2006, 12:47 PM
People say that you have to go to the race to understand it, but I've been to races and I still don't get it.

Cochise
03-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Interesting you’d mention that. I do watch FIM Super Bike and GP Bikes, whenever I can find’em, and they work on “aggregate” time if the race has to be stopped by a yellow flag.
The way they do it is if the leader, just for example, was ahead by 30 seconds the person in second would have to place ahead of that person by at least 30 seconds to take the lead after the restart. It gets a little difficult for the spectator, but that seems as fair as it could be made to me.

I see some Moto GP stuff on cable sometimes, but it seems like it's barely ever on. I don't even want to know what the cable package I would need to actually follow it would cost.

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
People say that you have to go to the race to understand it, but I've been to races and I still don't get it.

I dont know who would say that...anyone being intellectually honest about it would say it's better on TV than live.

TV gives you up to the moment stats and a scrolling ticker of who's where. The announcers also talk about the movers and those that are dropping back.

If you dont like racing, you wont like it live either. I can understand that.

I mean, I hate baseball and cant stand it on TV or live. I'll attend if the ticket AND beer is free.

Nzoner
03-13-2006, 12:57 PM

The mrs and her sisters told me this so I went to a busch series truck race with them and hated it,now it's I didn't go to the right race,if I'd go to the big race or whatever the hell they call it then I'd be a fan. :rolleyes:

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I see some Moto GP stuff on cable sometimes, but it seems like it's barely ever on. I don't even want to know what the cable package I would need to actually follow it would cost.

Speed TV has some of’em but they don’t do replays so if you miss a race you’re screwed. Otherwise there’s not enough of a following here in the states to justify preempting NASCAR for some real racing. ;)

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Speed TV has some of’em but they don’t do replays so if you miss a race you’re screwed. Otherwise there’s not enough of a following here in the states to justify preempting NASCAR for some real racing. ;)

Speed doesnt carry enough Rally, IMO. I find that to be the most intense racing imaginable.

I did catch the Bahrian GP yesterday on Speed. Good to see they put the tire changes back in play. I thought that was a stupid rule.

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 01:22 PM
The mrs and her sisters told me this so I went to a busch series truck race with them and hated it,now it's I didn't go to the right race,if I'd go to the big race or whatever the hell they call it then I'd be a fan. :rolleyes:

Which was it? the Craftsman Truck series or Busch series because there's not a Busch Truck series.

Im a fan of watching Nascar, but even I wouldnt attend a Truck race. It's the equivalent of going to a Chiefs scrimmage or preseason game and then saying the 'big' games suck just as much.

Nzoner
03-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Which was it? the Craftsman Truck series or Busch series because there's not a Busch Truck series.

Im a fan of watching Nascar, but even I wouldnt attend a Truck race. It's the equivalent of going to a Chiefs scrimmage or preseason game and then saying the 'big' games suck just as much.

I dunno,it was vehicles racing in circles to the left.

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I dunno,it was vehicles racing in circles to the left.

Are you unable to distinguish between a truck and a sedan? Interesting...I thought that quality was limited to women.

Nzoner
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Are you unable to distinguish between a truck and a sedan? Interesting...I thought that quality was limited to women.

It was trucks and no way in hell am I buying that the difference between that and the senior race is enough to make me a fan thus the reason I put vehicles racing in circles to the left.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Speed doesnt carry enough Rally, IMO. I find that to be the most intense racing imaginable.

I did catch the Bahrian GP yesterday on Speed. Good to see they put the tire changes back in play. I thought that was a stupid rule.

Rally race’n rocks. :rockon:
I’m surprised they don’t have to drag a trailer just to carry the driver’s stones.

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
It was trucks and no way in hell am I buying that the difference between that and the senior race is enough to make me a fan thus the reason I put vehicles racing in circles to the left.

Of course, it's obvious...I used an analogy towards my feelings toward baseball. I dont like it and it wouldnt matter what level of competition I witnessed, I dont like the sport.

It's ok to not like a something.

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Rally race’n rocks. :rockon:
I’m surprised they don’t have to drag a trailer just to carry the driver’s stones.

The only other motorsport I can never seem to find, is motorcycle trials competitions. It's just amazing what those guys can get over/around on a bike w/o touching the ground.

morphius
03-13-2006, 01:51 PM
The only other motorsport I can never seem to find, is motorcycle trials competitions. It's just amazing what those guys can get over/around on a bike w/o touching the ground.
I never really get to see much on the Isle of Man TT race either, which is also frickin nuts 'cause someone dies at least once every few years it seems.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Yup, they are amazing.
I’ve seen them a couple of times live, but that was purely by accident since I just happened to be at Grand Lake (by Disney, OK) out wheel’n.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I never really get to see much on the Isle of Man TT race either, which is also frickin nuts 'cause someone dies at least once every few years it seems.

They average a couple of dead per year.
‘Cept, of course, for the year they shut it down ‘cause of the “mad cow” scare.
That’s another one they show on Speed, but you’ve gotta know when it’s on cause they don’t show reruns of it.

KCTitus
03-13-2006, 01:59 PM

Never heard of that one. I did watch some of Dakar on OLN. I had heard a couple of people died in that race this year.

morphius
03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
They average a couple of dead per year.
‘Cept, of course, for the year they shut it down ‘cause of the “mad cow” scare.
That’s another one they show on Speed, but you’ve gotta know when it’s on cause they don’t show reruns of it.
I didn't want to guess to high, but damn!

Frazod
03-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Is anybody else a bit perplexed by the idea that the most ardent defender of the holiest of southern redneck pasttimes is from BOSTON? :spock:

Hey cadmonkey, I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that word of your NASCAR fandom has leaked out, your neighbors have formed an angry mob outside your house, and they are demanding that you immediately relocate to Georgia; the good news is that they're all afraid of both weapons and open flame, so instead of being armed with pitchforks and torches they only have chopsticks and extra hot lattes. :)

cadmonkey
03-13-2006, 02:24 PM
so instead of being armed with pitchforks and torches they only have chopsticks and extra hot lattes. :)

I don't live in Seattle for christs sake! Remember we did burn and crusify whiches up here for a good amount of time so the pitchforks and torches are not out of the picture completly. :banghead:

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Drag racing is the only kind of racing I like. I wonder if Nzoner's wife likes drag racing.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I didn't want to guess to high, but damn!

Yea, it’s a pretty deadly race. Used to be a sanctioned stop for the GP circuit, wonder why they stopped that one. :rolleyes:
Another one you may not’ve heard of is called, IIRC, the “Northern 200” in Ireland. It’s the same as the IOM TT, where they close off city streets as a race track, but this one they grid up and race each other instead of “just” race’n the stopwatch.

morphius
03-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Yea, it’s a pretty deadly race. Used to be a sanctioned stop for the GP circuit, wonder why they stopped that one. :rolleyes:
Another one you may not’ve heard of is called, IIRC, the “Northern 200” in Ireland. It’s the same as the IOM TT, where they close off city streets as a race track, but this one they grid up and race each other instead of “just” race’n the stopwatch.
No, hadn't seen that one at all either.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 02:54 PM
No, hadn't seen that one at all either.

I doubt that’s carnage you’ll ever see on any network here in the states.
Funny, ironic, story here though. Remember a Brit racer in the early ‘90’s World Superbike series named Carl Fogerty? He’s a loudmouthed, smack talk’n Brit that came to America to race the Daytona 200. He showed up talk’n smack that American racers were pu$$ies then started cry’n ‘bout the Daytona racetrack be’n “unsafe” and how he “couldn’t believe we actually sanctioned races on a track like that” after Scott Russell handed him his azz.
The ironic part is that Carl still holds a record for race’n at the IOM TT and was a race winner of the “Northern 200”, but felt compelled to cry ‘bout the “safety” of Daytona. :spock: :rolleyes:

HemiEd
03-13-2006, 03:12 PM

The cars are "set up" so severely for left turns, it would take another car or a couple hours to get one ready to go to the right. Have you ever noticed the difference on the left front and right front wheels as to the caster and camber?

As to the thread topic, I do not know how anyone can set there and watch a whole race. If I am watching TV on a Sunday when they are racing, I will bounce around the channels. The last twently laps are usually kind of fun to watch.

Saulbadguy
03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Drag racing is the only kind of racing I like. I wonder if Nzoner's wife likes drag racing.
I prefer dog racing. Especially when they all make a turn and some of them crash in to each other. Hilarious.

Radar Chief
03-13-2006, 03:15 PM
The cars are "set up" so severely for left turns, it would take another car or a couple hours to get one ready to go to the right. Have you ever noticed the difference on the left front and right front wheels as to the caster and camber?

Thought I’d let’cha know you just spoke a foreign language to’im. ;)

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 03:17 PM

As to the thread topic, I do not know how anyone can set there and watch a whole race. If I am watching TV on a Sunday when they are racing, I will bounce around the channels. The last twently laps are usually kind of fun to watch.
They would have to set up their cars differently then. I'm trying to make that shit interesting.

HemiEd
03-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Thought I’d let’cha know you just spoke a foreign language to’im. ;)

ROFL
I watched the last few laps of that race yesterday. I think it was Tony Stewarts car during a yellow that made me gawk, geewhillikers! The fronts were really set up extreme. I bet it was hard to steer at slow speeds.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 03:24 PM
For those who do not wish to see it as a sport, it's your take. Officially, it is. Just like poker is, I feel the same about it, who wants to watch poker played, I enjoy playing, but have no desire to watch it.

To each his own......... :D

Skip Towne
03-13-2006, 03:27 PM
For those who do not wish to see it as a sport, it's your take. Officially, it is. Just like poker is, I feel the same about it, who wants to watch poker played, I enjoy playing, but have no desire to watch it.

I might watch if they played poker while racing.

HemiEd
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
They would have to set up their cars differently then. I'm trying to make that shit interesting.

I think the fact that they make all the cars basically the same is what makes it boring. They have turned it into a driver and strategy competition. I loved the sport in the late 60s and early 70s before they outlawed the 426 Hemi.

beavis
03-13-2006, 04:13 PM

Poker is a game, not a sport.

ROYC75
03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Poker is a game, not a sport.

I agree, a card game. But ESPN sure pimps it well as a sport.

ENDelt260
03-13-2006, 04:21 PM
poker players are finely tuned atheletes.

chiefs4me
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM

I'm also a chiefs fan you dumbass, so what's your point????????

Bwana
03-13-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm also a chiefs fan you dumbass, so what's your point????????

That you got half of it right? :shrug: :D

chiefs4me
03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
That you got half of it right? :shrug: :D

better the none......:D

Jenny Gump
03-13-2006, 05:45 PM
How in the hell can your guys watch that stuff? I have some friends who drove down to Las Vegas that are at the race right now. Because fo this, I decided to tune in and try to check it out again. :shake: I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to go watch some paint dry for an upgrade in excitement.

Seriously, how can anyone sit there in front of the TV and watch cars go around in little circles for several hours? :spock: Perhaps it's more entertaining if you are AT THE RACE, (?) but trying to hang with it on TV Blows.

I have personal reasons that I will not go into for hating NASCAR. WTBS, when I was in Vegas last week, the "Dales" of the world ascended on the strip. It was the strangest thing I've seen in a while...and I've seen some strange things lately.

I met these two guys from Indianapolis who made the comment that they came to Vegas to get away from these fools...not be near them. My sentiments exactly.

Jim and I made a sport out of making fun of them.