PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bilas picks Kansas to get to Indianapolis

Lzen
03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Sry, Senator Dole, more gloating to come(hey, there isn't much Chiefs news).

Jay Bilas on ESPN just picked Kansas to get to the Final Four in Indy. :thumb:

BigVE
03-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I have a good feeling about this team....I agree with Jay.

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 06:58 PM
As far as what he said, it could happen. I think a 2nd round game against Pitt is gonna be a hard game for these young Hawks to overcome. Pitt is physical and big and have some depth. The only problem is, is that they've been overrated the last 4 seasons so who knows what will happen. I totally see KU beating Memphis.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Digger just picked Kansas to get the Elite Eight, losing to UCLA.

teedubya
03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
i think Jay Bilas rocks

Ultra Peanut
03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
WARNING: Jay Bilas is a crackhead.

Dunit35
03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm nervous for this first round game. Lord knows my favorite teams always chock.

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Jay Bilas is a genious.

Mr. Kotter
03-12-2006, 07:03 PM
If KU gets past Bradley, and can knock off Pittsburg--Memphis awaits. THAT is a tall order....but not unthinkable, with the way they are playing now...

JBucc
03-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I never liked that Bilas

Dunit35
03-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I know this is down the line...and will take some miracles...but I would be happy if Bucknell won two games and we played them in the Sweet 16.

savedin79
Who Cares, this is a football sight.

Skip Towne
I'm nervous for this first round game. Lord knows my favorite teams always chock.
Chock? Oh, noes, not that. Don't worry it's just Bradley. KU never loses in the first round. :p

DJay23
03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Then go read some football threads you douche.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 07:15 PM

Shut up, n00b! 4321

Simplex3
03-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Why the hell does every noob feel the need to express the "it's not football" opinion at least once? Is there some cosmic force at work?

Ultra Peanut
03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Who Cares, this is a football sight.Mmm, Skip's favorite.

CoMoChief
03-12-2006, 07:34 PM
In my eyes if Kansas can beat Texas on a neutral court, then they can beat Pitt, UCLA, or Memphis. This team's win today proved alot. They're continuing to grow and they love playing with eachother. Chemistry is key in March.

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Mmm, Skip's favorite.
What you talking about Willis?

DJay23
03-12-2006, 07:36 PM
...and they love playing with eachother.
An unfortunate conglomeration of words.

Ultra Peanut
03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
What you talking about Willis?A retarded n00b. Don't you just feel like nurturing it?

Mr. Laz
this team makes me nervous as hell

they could lose to Bradley or they could make it to the final four ........ neither would surprise me in the least.

Ultra Peanut
An unfortunate conglomeration of words.ROFL

milkman
03-12-2006, 07:40 PM

I know you're an old man, so this may have slipped by you, but we talk about a lot of other topics here.

If you want a football only discussion forum, then this ain't the place for you.

tk13
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
In my eyes if Kansas can beat Texas on a neutral court, then they can beat Pitt, UCLA, or Memphis. This team's win today proved alot. They're continuing to grow and they love playing with eachother. Chemistry is key in March.
I honestly think Kansas can beat anyone that is in this tournament. They are talented enough... it'll be interesting to see if they can actually string the wins together. That KU/Pitt game could turn into a real defensive struggle. Actually both teams have the profile of going cold from the field that could cause problems in the first round games. The MAC and MVC generally put up a good fight.

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 07:49 PM
And experience is even more important. Texas' Aldridge killed us in Austin both with his scoring and his rebounding. He was a whimpering child today when Self beat him up with a rotation of Kaun, Giles and Jackson. We are just now starting to play Bill Self ball. We may not go far in this Tourney (anything can happen) but I'll bet KU doesn't get blown out by anybody.

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 07:53 PM
I wonder how kU will handle the physical approach of Pitt, should they play. That's their most dangerous matchup, IMO.

And I know Texas is very good inside, but Aldridge isn't exactly a physical presence. Tucker is, but he isn't that big.

Pitt has a nice collection of big thugs... Gray and Kendall (i think that's his name) to name a few.

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 08:06 PM
I wonder how kU will handle the physical approach of Pitt, should they play. That's their most dangerous matchup, IMO.

And I know Texas is very good inside, but Aldridge isn't exactly a physical presence. Tucker is, but he isn't that big.

Pitt has a nice collection of big thugs... Gray and Kendall (i think that's his name) to name a few.

I agree, then down the road is UCLA. UCLA's coach ( who is from the Big East )has them playing a rough Big East style of ball as well.

KU is talented enought to win it all, and young enough to go out early.

Time will tell............ :KU:

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
A retarded n00b. Don't you just feel like nurturing it?
That's what I thought. More of your drunken ramblings.

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 08:46 PM

KU has five guys 6'8"or taller (that play) and three of them go 235# or more. We have thugs!

CarolinaChiefz
03-12-2006, 08:51 PM
We're running the table!!!!

Wooooooooo!!!!!! SElf!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 08:51 PM

Aldridge isn't a physical presence? You aren't watching the same games I am. Aldridge is a big strong mofo. Well, not so much today, he got 5 points but we beat the hell out of him with Kaun, Jackson and Giles taking turns on him. Hopefully we do the same thing to Pitt.

SPchief
03-12-2006, 08:52 PM
We're running the table!!!!

Wooooooooo!!!!!! SElf!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Have you been drinking??

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 08:53 PM
KU has five guys 6'8"or taller (that play) and three of them go 235# or more. We have thugs!

Size alone does not a thug make. I've seen nothing from Giles and Jackson to make me think they're thugs (isn't one of the reasons they keep landing in the dog house is that Self doesn't think they're physical enough?). Wright definitely is not a thug, though he is supremely skilled. Kaun is huge, but he also seems a little soft—and he commits a lot of dumb fouls.

Who's the other guy? Does he even play?

I have no doubt Self will bring thugs to kU, though... just wait, one day you beaker's will get to enjoy a player as dirty and thuggish as Lucas Johnson.

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Aldridge isn't a physical presence? You aren't watching the same games I am. Aldridge is a big strong mofo. Well, not so much today, he got 5 points but we beat the hell out of him with Kaun, Jackson and Giles taking turns on him. Hopefully we do the same thing to Pitt.

Aldridge is tall and skilled, but he isn't overly strong or imposing. He is a finesse player on offense... he can be pushed out of the paint when he's posting up, and he can be backed down when he's defending.

He isn't a bruiser. He's still somewhat underdeveloped physically. He's kind of soft. That's my point.

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Size alone does not a thug make. I've seen nothing from Giles and Jackson to make me think they're thugs (isn't one of the reasons they keep landing in the dog house is that Self doesn't think they're physical enough?). Wright definitely is not a thug, though he is supremely skilled. Kaun is huge, but he also seems a little soft—and he commits a lot of dumb fouls.

Who's the other guy? Does he even play?

I have no doubt Self will bring thugs to kU, though... just wait, one day you beaker's will get to enjoy a player as dirty and thuggish as Lucas Johnson.
You don't think Darnell Jackson is a thug? He's the guy who put a chest on Mons of OSU after Mons hurt our PG on a layup. Mons did his best to get away from Jackson. Kaun is 6'11" and 250. He isn't pretty but is a fighter. Ask Texas. Giles is the third one. 6'10" 235. Would rather finesse but will bang if needed.

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
You don't think Darnell Jackson is a thug? He's the guy who put a chest on Mons of OSU after Mons hurt our PG on a layup. Mons did his best to get away from Jackson. Kaun is 6'11" and 250. He isn't pretty but is a fighter. Ask Texas. Giles is the third one. 6'10" 235. Would rather finesse but will bang if needed.

Acting tough to protect a teammate doesn't mean he plays (read: defends and rebounds) like a thug. I'm talking, throw-you-out-of-the-way, knock-you-down, do-anything-to-get-a-rebound thuggery. And I haven't seen that from any of those players. A player who would prefer to use finesse than power, by definition, can't be a thug.

Which is not a bad thing, though it is unusual from a Bill Self team (see: Illinois team that knocked Puddin' Gooden and co. out of the elite 8 a few years back).

I never thought I'd see a kU fan arguing that they DO have thugs on their team.

It's a compliment that I don't think your players are thugs... I hate that brand of basketball. I might hate the Beakers, but I certainly can appreciate the athleticism and skill they display.

I would far prefer that brand of basketball win; unfortuntely, the emphasis on defense—since thuggery is the easiest way to equalize skill level—tends to win out in today's basketball world.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 09:30 PM
duncan, you got a lot of basketball smarts. You sure you're a MU fan? :D

Mr. Laz
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM

heck no, Jackson isn't a thug ... he's more physical than most of our other guys but he's hardly a thug.

don't worry ... i'm sure Self will keep trying until he gets some though. :(

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 09:36 PM
duncan, you got a lot of basketball smarts. You sure you're a MU fan? :D

Thanks... and yeah, I'm sure... it kills me to say it, but if I hadn't grown up in an all-Mizzou family (third generation grad, seventh member of family to go there), I'd probably be a kU fan, just because I love the uptempo style of play Roy Williams always has coached. As it is, my hatred of kU knows no bounds.

Note: the uptempo style is one reason I'd love to see Mike Anderson coaching the Tigers.

I chalk it up to lots of reading, lots of watching, and lots of playing. I was fortunate enough to play for a very gifted basketball mind in high school... he taught me a lot about offense, and particularly about recognizing trends in players' styles (I was a captain my junior/senior years, and he made the captains scout every other teams at tournaments).

I guess working at sports publication doesn't hurt, either.

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Acting tough to protect a teammate doesn't mean he plays (read: defends and rebounds) like a thug. I'm talking, throw-you-out-of-the-way, knock-you-down, do-anything-to-get-a-rebound thuggery. And I haven't seen that from any of those players. A player who would prefer to use finesse than power, by definition, can't be a thug.

Which is not a bad thing, though it is unusual from a Bill Self team (see: Illinois team that knocked Puddin' Gooden and co. out of the elite 8 a few years back).

I never thought I'd see a kU fan arguing that they DO have thugs on their team.

It's a compliment that I don't think your players are thugs... I hate that brand of basketball. I might hate the Beakers, but I certainly can appreciate the athleticism and skill they display.

I would far prefer that brand of basketball win; unfortuntely, the emphasis on defense—since thuggery is the easiest way to equalize skill level—tends to win out in today's basketball world.
You can't possibly be watching Big XII games talking like that. Aldridge is Texas' enforcer. Jackson IS a tough guy. If you can't see that we need to end this conversation. Bill Self has ALWAYS played thugball. At ORU, at Tulsa, and at Illinois. This team at Kansas is getting there. Royboy always had "pretty" players like Collison and LaFrentz. Tall, talented and white. But they were pussies when confronted with big, strong teams. Self's Illinois teams beat us twice during the Dance with his big strong guys versus our finesse guys. Oh, yeah, Arizona did the same thing to that "great" KU team with Pollard and associates. I'm for thugball until further notice.

Mr. Laz
03-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks....
i like idaho potatoes

kcfanintitanhell
03-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I love March Madness!!!
Any given Thursday, er, Friday, uh, Saturday, yea, Sunday.

Mr. Laz
03-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Jackson IS a tough guy..

but tough guy ≠Thug

a tough guy can be a thug and thugs are alway tough guys ... but just because a guy is tough doesn't mean he's ......

err wait, can i start again? :hmmm:

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 09:58 PM
You can't possibly be watching Big XII games talking like that. Aldridge is Texas' enforcer. Jackson IS a tough guy. If you can't see that we need to end this conversation. Bill Self has ALWAYS played thugball. At ORU, at Tulsa, and at Illinois. This team at Kansas is getting there. Royboy always had "pretty" players like Collison and LaFrentz. Tall, talented and white. But they were pussies when confronted with big, strong teams. Self's Illinois teams beat us twice during the Dance with his big strong guys versus our finesse guys. Oh, yeah, Arizona did the same thing to that "great" KU team with Pollard and associates. I'm for thugball until further notice.

Skip,

I watch all the Big 12 games I can... I would not call Aldridge Texas' enforcer. Their most skilled player, yes. Their player with the most potential, yes. But he's not an "enforcer." He doesn't beat up people with physical play during games. He doesn't take cheap shots at players. He's tall and athletic and skilled, but he's not a thug—he doesn't have to be. P.J. Tucker is more of an enforcer than Aldridge—watch him play defense. Watch him get his body into the players he defends. Watch him use his body to score. If Aldridge was as physical as Tucker, he'd probably be the best player in college basketball.

I know Bill Self has always played "thugball", or as I refer to it, "streetball." That was my point when I referenced his U of I teams. I watched that team pound the crap out of kU on the boards in the Elite 8. I have yet to see a kU team do that.

That Arizona team was not full of thugs; they were a three-guard team with athletic, fast big men. I forget the center's name, but the 4 was a 6-8, 220 lb. guy (Davisson?). That team didn't win with a thug style, or on the glass. They won because of their athleticism and skill at the guards.

And frankly, you can disagree with my opinion if you want; that's your right. I don't really care. I'm confident in my opinion...

Lzen
03-12-2006, 09:58 PM

Skip, don't you see it? duncan is right. Self's Illinois teams had some thug players. But it was for the exact reasons that duncan stated:

Some of those players weren't athletic enough so they would beat you up instead. Roy's teams were athletic but more finesse. Self's team is athletic but physical. You can't tell me that a Roy Williams coached Jayhawk team would've stood up to that OSU game or even that Texas game. They would've pussed out, like you said. This Jayhawk team is very physical. Of that, there is no doubt. But physicality does not necessarily equal thuggery.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 10:00 PM
duncan, I know I saw Aldridge put his hip into a KU player very hard a couple times today. So, I would say he is very physical.

Mr. Laz
03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
duncan, I know I saw Aldridge put his hip into a KU player very hard a couple times today. So, I would say he is very physical.

giles knocked a few down too :D

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 10:03 PM
but tough guy ≠Thug

a though guy can be a thug and thugs are alway tough guys ... but just because a guy is tough doesn't mean he's ......

err wait, can i start again? :hmmm:
No, you can't. I'm talking now. Darnell Jackson does a lot of damage under the boards. I'll take him anytime. We did, however, have a better thug than Jackson once. He was a real piece of work from Hutchinson Juco named Paul Stovall. He once got ejected from a game for "returning the ball to the official with a bit too much velocity". He tried to take the ref's head off with the ball.

Lzen
03-12-2006, 10:03 PM
giles knocked a few down too :D

What's that old saying? Turnabout is fair play? Or what's good for the goose is good for the gander? Yeah, Giles put his hip out and knocked that Texas player out of bounds. The icing on the cake was when the ball was thrown to said player as he was shell shocked from getting knocked around. Giles got lucky the refs didn't see that. But that kind of thing was being done by both teams. So, I don't really care about that one. :D

Mr. Laz
03-12-2006, 10:06 PM
What's that old saying? Turnabout is fair play? Or what's good for the goose is good for the gander? Yeah, Giles put his hip out and knocked that Texas player out of bounds. The icing on the cake was when the ball was thrown to said player as he was shell shocked from getting knocked around. Giles got lucky the refs didn't see that. But that kind of thing was being done by both teams. So, I don't really care about that one. :D

i was laughing by butt off when the ball bounced off that guys head after Giles bounced him ... he was looking around all confused as the ball went out. :clap: ROFL

it's great that Giles has started to learn how to foul without getting caught all the time. :thumb:

banyon
03-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Well, this didn't go down exactly the way I planned.

It's gonna be tough for both my teams to go to the Final 4 since play each other. If only KU could teleport into Villanova's bracket.

I'm pretty confident that Memphis will be able to roll the Bucknell/Arkansas winner (I'm taking the Bison), but I'm not as confident that KU can beat that Pitt team. They'll clog up the middle, so we'll have to be hitting from outside.

If my two teams do play, IMO KU would win 6/10 games.

The teams are almost mirror images of each other with their near-total lack of experience, their ridiculous talent level, and their overall team depth. Both teams are long and quick and play excellent FG % defense.

KU's guards generate tremendous pressure on D, but they aren't any faster than the guards at UAB that memphis has played 2x recently. If Joey Dorsey for Memphis stays out of foul trouble (which he rarely does), then KU will have to keep rotating Giles/Kaun/Jackson to try to wear him down (Dorsey is 6'9" 260+, a total beast). I think Rush and Carney neutralize each other a bit (edge to Carney). But Robinson and Chalmers have the edge on Memphis's backcourt of Washington/Anderson (among others).

The real difference to me will be who has the better game between Julian Wright and Shawne Williams. Both are 6'9", quick. Wright is better on D (although Williams blocks shots too). Wright is the better passer. But if S. Williams is hitting his threes (where no one on KU could really guard him), then that puts the Tigers on top. Similarly if Wright is able ot pass at will from the high post and get Memphis's bigs in foul trouble, then KU wins.

There would be highlights of ridiculous dunks/blocked shots all over the place.

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 10:07 PM

I didn't see today's game (busy editing NFL team notes)... that's a good sign for them.

He tends to be too passive.

Skip,

I'm not saying kU isn't tough or physical... I'm saying they aren't thugs.

Pitt has at least two big, strong, dirty players on the front line... and Krauser is one of the most physical and thuggish defenders I've seen this side of Dee Brown.

I'll be interested to see how kU handles that. I think they're tough enough to withstand it, and they certainly are more athletic and skilled...

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Skip, don't you see it? duncan is right. Self's Illinois teams had some thug players. But it was for the exact reasons that duncan stated:

Some of those players weren't athletic enough so they would beat you up instead. Roy's teams were athletic but more finesse. Self's team is athletic but physical. You can't tell me that a Roy Williams coached Jayhawk team would've stood up to that OSU game or even that Texas game. They would've pussed out, like you said. This Jayhawk team is very physical. Of that, there is no doubt. But physicality does not necessarily equal thuggery.
I agree with all but that nonsense about physicality doesn't equal thuggery. Of course it does. (shut up, Lzen, I'm trying to intimidate some people here.)

ROYC75
03-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Well, this didn't go down exactly the way I planned.

It's gonna be tough for both my teams to go to the Final 4 since play each other. If only KU could teleport into Villanova's bracket.

I'm pretty confident that Memphis will be able to roll the Bucknell/Arkansas winner (I'm taking the Bison), but I'm not as confident that KU can beat that Pitt team. They'll clog up the middle, so we'll have to be hitting from outside.

If my two teams do play, IMO KU would win 6/10 games.

The teams are almost mirror images of each other with their near-total lack of experience, their ridiculous talent level, and their overall team depth. Both teams are long and quick and play excellent FG % defense.

KU's guards generate tremendous pressure on D, but they aren't any faster than the guards at UAB that memphis has played 2x recently. If Joey Dorsey for Memphis stays out of foul trouble (which he rarely does), then KU will have to keep rotating Giles/Kaun/Jackson to try to wear him down (Dorsey is 6'9" 260+, a total beast). I think Rush and Carney neutralize each other a bit (edge to Carney). But Robinson and Chalmers have the edge on Memphis's backcourt of Washington/Anderson (among others).

The real difference to me will be who has the better game between Julian Wright and Shawne Williams. Both are 6'9", quick. Wright is better on D (although Williams blocks shots too). Wright is the better passer. But if S. Williams is hitting his threes (where no one on KU could really guard him), then that puts the Tigers on top. Similarly if Wright is able ot pass at will from the high post and get Memphis's bigs in foul trouble, then KU wins.

There would be highlights of ridiculous dunks/blocked shots all over the place.

I agree the diffrence maker in this game is Julian Wright.

I like KU's chances, they seem to be hot and playing with alot of poise and confidence.

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I agree with all but that nonsense about physicality doesn't equal thuggery. Of course it does. (shut up, Lzen, I'm trying to intimidate some people here.)

There's a difference between being physical and being dirty. That's the difference, for me, in how I definite "thuggery."

I'd define kU's current team as physical but not thuggish, though Self will complete the transformation within a year or two, I'm sure.

I'd define Kelvin Sampson's teams as thuggish. I'd define Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon's teams as thuggish.

Being physical without being thuggish gets praise in my book.

Skip Towne
03-12-2006, 10:23 PM
There's a difference between being physical and being dirty. That's the difference, for me, in how I definite "thuggery."

I'd define kU's current team as physical but not thuggish, though Self will complete the transformation within a year or two, I'm sure.

I'd define Kelvin Sampson's teams as thuggish. I'd define Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon's teams as thuggish.

Being physical without being thuggish gets praise in my book.
Not me. I want to out thug Sampson. I want to send him from the building whimpering and crying like a small child.

duncan_idaho
03-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Not me. I want to out thug Sampson. I want to send him from the building whimpering and crying like a small child.

I'll again express surprise at hearing a kU fan say that... I think you're in the minority.

Rest assured, I hope it happens. Then I'll have moral (in basketball terms) grounds for hating kU, as well as theological (in terms of belief) grounds.

IE: It would be nice to hate the style of play as well as the school. :)