PDA

View Full Version : Hooking my TiVo to the net

Sully
03-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I've just been using the phone line for my TiVo, but I now want it hooked to the interweb. I imagine there are a few plusses to doing that, including easier downloading of schedules, etc.
However, I've lost my books for ym TiVo. I noticed on the back are usb hookups, so does it need to go through my computer? Is there another box I need to buy (that's what the guy at Best Buy told me, but they are morons)?
Thanks for the help in advance.

dr00d
03-13-2006, 10:44 AM
ah man...they don't have an rj-45 (ethernet connection) built into the back of those? that is teh ghey.

Bob Dole
03-13-2006, 11:26 AM
The USB ports may or may not be functional. If they are, you may or may not be able to get a USB to ethernet adapter and it may or may not work.

In short, Bob Dole doesn't really know anything beyond the fact that his own DirecTV DVRs both have to be internally modified to access that capability.

ENDelt260
03-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I suggest reading tivocommunity.com. There's lots of info on tivo.com about which boxes can do it... what adapters are compatible... etc... but, on tivocommunity.com you'll find a bunch of real life experiences.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
I have a networked series 2 Tivo:

The USB ports are in fact active.

In order to transfer stuff from your tivo to your computer, you'll need to download Tivo server from the Tivo website.

I find it great for listening to music, although the interface is a bit sloppy and laggy. The photo slideshow feature is awesome.

The thing you may find the best about it is the availability to schedule recorded programs when out of the house. It's invaluable.

Pick up a USB to RJ-45 adapter on eBay or BB or CC and you're cool to go. Your Tivo should recognize most, and the list of supported adapters is also on the site.

Good luck, and enjoy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
P.S. the 'box' that the BB employee may be referring to is just a router. You will need one in order to network your TiVo.

Sully
03-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I have a router, so that's not a problem. He just told me there was no such thing as a cable with USB on one end and the ethernet connection at the other. I'm a technical illiterate, so I just went along with what he told me.

BTAU
03-13-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a router, so that's not a problem. He just told me there was no such thing as a cable with USB on one end and the ethernet connection at the other. I'm a technical illiterate, so I just went along with what he told me.

What you will need to get is an adapter that plugs into the USB ports in the back of the Tivo unit. It can be wired or wireless, so it depends on what kind of router you have.

Here is the link for compatible adapters:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm#OtherWireless

you can just take the list to a local electronics store and they should be able to find one that will work for you.

On a side note, networking the tivo makes it a lot easier to update the schedule and allows you to move your recordings to your computer. It's definately worth it

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM

In short, he's a moron. I have one (a wired Belkin) that is working as we speak.