PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency and You

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Was the advent of free agency a good thing for the NFL or a bad thing?

go bowe
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
good, with a little bad around the edges...

i miss the old dynasties sometimes...

Katipan
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
our flighty society doesn't have the attention span to stomach dynasties anymore

go bowe
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
our flighty society doesn't have the attention span to stomach dynasties anymoreyou may be right...

but us old guys still get nostalgic for the "good ol' days" of football...

the 6 to 3 games, ahh the magic of actually letting defenders use their hands in the defensive backfield as well as the dl...

a good head slap would get the attention of an ol-man everytime...

Claynus
03-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Good.

Rain Man
03-13-2006, 06:09 PM
When free agency started, I thought it would be the death of football. Now I must admit that I rather like it in net total. However, I do somewhat miss the old days when a player would play a dozen years for the same team.

Logical
03-13-2006, 09:24 PM
I believe the Chiefs would have remained a doormat without the advent of free agency so in that respect good.

I also believe the process generates even more interest in the NFL so that it basically becomes a year round following also good.

The inability to make trades (practically speaking) that has resulted from free agency and the salary cap are bad.

More good than bad in the end.

Logical
03-13-2006, 09:25 PM
you may be right...

but us old guys still get nostalgic for the "good ol' days" of football...

the 6 to 3 games, ahh the magic of actually letting defenders use their hands in the defensive backfield as well as the dl...

a good head slap would get the attention of an ol-man everytime...I agree with all that but what does it have to do with free agency?

Mr. Laz
03-13-2006, 09:34 PM
free agency is fantastic as long as there is a salary cap in place to keep the overall spending under control.

morphius
03-13-2006, 09:35 PM
free agency is fantastic as long as there is a salary cap in place to keep the overall spending under control.
Exactly! With the revenue sharing and the cap it works pretty well. Without those it would be a train wreck.

Simplex3
03-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah, they need a salary cap that the average fan can figure out. The down side is that some teams use the excuse "we can't spend more because of the cap" while others spend to their heart's content while others just outright cheat.