PDA

View Full Version : Merrill column: Shields to stay a Chief

BigRock
03-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Shields to stay a Chief
Four-year deal will let lineman retire in KC

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

Will Shields, who’s been through four coaches, seven starting quarterbacks and 207 straight games in the starting lineup, is staying in Kansas City.

Shields has agreed to a four-year contract extension that will allow him to retire with the Chiefs, his agent, Joe Linta, said Monday.

“They were very accommodating people,” Linta said. “Everybody’s pretty happy.”

The deal ended a month’s worth of speculation surrounding a lifelong Chief who has been the anchor of one of the NFL’s top offensive lines. Shields was due $5.1 million in salary in 2006, the last year of his contract. He also had seriously considered retirement because of arthritis in his knee and back.

As the deadline approached for teams to get under the NFL salary cap earlier this month, several media outlets reported that Shields had been cut.

But the Chiefs kept him on the roster, then reworked a more cap-friendly, front-loaded deal that Linta said would let Shields retire after 2006 without having to pay back a portion of the bonus.

“He’s only obligated to the Chiefs for this year and will have the option to decide on retirement after this season,” Linta said.

“He took a slight pay cut to stay with the Chiefs. I think his family loves it there and he likes his buddies on the team. We kind of analyzed what he’d get on the open market, and when you’re 34 years old, you’re probably not going to get the kind of deal (Seahawks mega-millions guard) Steve Hutchinson is going to get at this point. We were going to work to try and get it done here, and Carl (Peterson) and Denny (Thum) did the same.”

The Chiefs selected Shields in the third round of the 1993 draft, and he played in the season opener that year when starting left guard Dave Szott went down with a knee injury on the third play. Shields started the next week at Houston and hasn’t come out of the starting lineup since.

He’s been to 11 Pro Bowls, and Kansas City’s offense has finished first in the NFL the past two years. Three of the Chiefs’ offensive linemen went to Honolulu this winter — Shields, guard Brian Waters and tackle Willie Roaf. Waters recently signed a contract extension, and Roaf, also an 11-time Pro Bowler, is expected back again in 2006.

But Shields’ return seemed the least likely when the team wrapped up a 10-6 season in January. He said he’d go to Hawaii and decide in the following weeks if his body could sustain another season.

Shields eventually decided he wanted to play one or two more years, benefiting from a scaled-down training camp and practice schedule.
But as late as two weeks ago, Shields seemed pessimistic that his career would continue in Kansas City.

“I could play here, I could play for another team, or I could not play at all. You never can tell,” he said at the time. “I’m not going to worry about it. If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen.”

Now Shields is poised to finish his NFL career in the same city he started.

Also Monday, Chiefs backup quarterback Todd Collins was scheduled back in the Bahamas for his fishing trip after a weekend visit to Washington. Collins’ agent, Brad Blank, said Washington has yet to make an offer, probably because the club is still shopping No. 2 quarterback Patrick Ramsey.

“We’re still talking with them,” Blank said. “They were very nice, but we’re kind of on hold. They’re telling us to hang on, but it looks like they’re waiting for that other shoe to drop.”

Collins has been the Chiefs’ No. 2 quarterback behind Trent Green for five seasons.

BigRock
03-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Not that it means a whole lot, but from what I read elsewhere this will save us 3 to 4 million on this year's cap.

Short Leash Hootie
03-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Good news. I'd also like Todd to stay. Continuity is good.

Short Leash Hootie
03-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Good news. I'd also like Todd to stay. Continuity is good.
Unless we're talking about our defense. Then continuity isn't good.

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 03:43 AM
That's good to hear. I'm glad he wants to retire as a Chief.

the Talking Can
03-14-2006, 04:46 AM
good, as it should be...Shields retires a Chief

Katipan
03-14-2006, 07:54 AM
The Chiefs selected Shields in the third round of the 1993 draft, and he played in the season opener that year when starting left guard Dave Szott went down with a knee injury on the third play. Shields started the next week at Houston and hasn’t come out of the starting lineup since.

That's insane.

And so fugging awesome.

big nasty kcnut
03-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Great news.

sedated
03-14-2006, 08:02 AM
think washington will trade Ramsey for Collins straight up?

Inspector
03-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Cool.

Was hoping Will would retire in red and gold.

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Warpaint had all this published Sunday afternoon. What takes the Star so long?

Sully
03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
I don't care what the haters say... it makes me laugh every time.
(of course, I still laugh every time I see chocolate ice cream with peanut butter...)

jspchief
03-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Warpaint had all this published Sunday afternoon. What takes the Star so long?Was this before or after Shields was cut?

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:25 AM
It's a legitimate question. But some of the girls will cry because I was the one who posted it. Hurry up ladies, I can't wait all day.

Brock
03-14-2006, 08:26 AM
How does Al Saunders get along with Matt Millen? Just curious. Maybe you could do a full length feature on that.

BigChiefFan
It's good to see the FO got this done. Shields is one of the faces of the Chiefs and a true genuine person. I'm glad he made staying in Kansas City a priority-most professional athletes, put money at the top of the wish list. I commend this move by Will Shields and our FO.

All that said-how about some help on defense, Lamar?

Bob Dole

That whole put-ink-on-paper-put-it-in-a-van-and-distribute-it issue?

JBucc
Warpaint had all this published Sunday afternoon. What takes the Star so long?My sources tell me they were about to publish it when they got wind that WPI was about to put out the same story, at which point they realized the story was probably bogus if Warpaint published it and decided to recheck all the facts.

jspchief
03-14-2006, 08:27 AM
It's a legitimate question. But some of the girls will cry because I was the one who posted it. Hurry up ladies, I can't wait all day.Is this another post that is supposed to be "joking"?

I'll be honest. It's impossible to tell.

Count Zarth
03-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Keyaron Fox endorses Warpaint Illustrated.

Katipan
03-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Stop insulting girls Phobia, or I'll kick your ass.

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Is this another post that is supposed to be "joking"?

I'll be honest. It's impossible to tell.

You pick the answer which makes you cry the least and run with that.

Brock
03-14-2006, 08:36 AM
As irly as Toosday.

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:37 AM
That whole put-ink-on-paper-put-it-in-a-van-and-distribute-it issue?

That's a good question. But if the Star were on top of it they'd still have had it in their monday issue. They've also been known update news with the Chiefs on their site that never makes it to the print version - right?

jspchief
03-14-2006, 08:37 AM
You pick the answer which makes you cry the least and run with that.Heh.

As long as you can spam WPI, right?

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Stop insulting girls Phobia, or I'll kick your ass.
Can I opt for the ass kicking now?

Frankie
03-14-2006, 08:39 AM
think washington will trade Ramsey for Collins straight up?
We don't have any more right to Collins than Washington has. He's a UFA. But if we signed him I'd take that trade in a heartbeat.

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Heh.

As long as you can spam WPI, right?

Can't we just be happy that Nick finally got one right. He's been wrong for 4 years. Now he gets one right and everybody is still pissed off. Let's throw a party.

Chiefnj
03-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Can't we just be happy that Nick finally got one right. He's been wrong for 4 years. Now he gets one right and everybody is still pissed off. Let's throw a party.

You should be celebrating with your boss not hanging out with us lowlifes who had to wait until Tuesday to learn of this monumental news.

jspchief
03-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Can't we just be happy that Nick finally got one right. He's been wrong for 4 years. Now he gets one right and everybody is still pissed off. Let's throw a party.I've tried to tell you this before. No one cares that Nick got one right. We like to pile on him because he's an easy target, but none of us really give a damn when he doesn't screw up.

It's the same reason we enjoy seeing Plummer choke in a play-off game, but don't give a shit about him winning a play-off game.

You seem to think the posters here gives a rat's ass about Nick Athan or WPI. They don't. They just like to laugh at the idiots.

Jesus christ. You've become a bigger thread wrecker than chiefs4me.

kaplin42
03-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Its good to hear that Shields will retire a Chief. I hope maybe in this draft we start looking at some linemen in the later rounds to replace,Shields, Roaf, Wiegman.

All that said-how about some help on defense, Lamar?

What do you mean? We have Sims and Siavi (sp?), Keyaron Fox and Griffin, and as much as I like his attitude, you cant forget about Boomer. Besides that our big Defensive signing was Kendrell Bell, who is going to be a down rusher, which BTW, the steelers played that game already, and lost.

Surely with our stars in the secondary we should be ok, Battle, Sapp, and Washington should be more than a match for any set of recievers.

I'm pretty sure that we are set on D. We could rock the house with these guys. :banghead:

if nothing else, at least McCleon is gone

HC_Chief
03-14-2006, 09:23 AM
:thumb:

KCTitus
03-14-2006, 09:29 AM

ROFL

This is classic. Nick was right and deserved props when he announced that Shields was cut, and NOW, we are to throw a party when Nick announced that Ward Shoals will remain a Chief....before everyone else.

ChiTown
03-14-2006, 09:31 AM
ROFL

This is classic. Nick was right and deserved props when he announced that Shields was cut, and NOW, we are to throw a party when Nick announced that Ward Shoals will remain a Chief....before everyone else.

Gawd, I miss this place
good stuff
ROFL

ct
03-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Welcome home Will Shields!! Not that you ever left, but now you can stay until you're ready to hang em up.

BigRock
03-14-2006, 01:45 PM
It'd probably be easier to brag about if he wasn't in the middle of this giant TO scam. How many days ago did he say "TO will meet with Herm Edwards in 24 hours"... like 4 or 5? Then he started hyping the idea of a trade, and meanwhile TO's just been cut.

From what I've read, he has also insisted repeatedly that the Chiefs are the only real suitor for TO, and only recently acknowledged Dallas being in the mix. He's downplayed Denver when asked about them... even though, you know, TO visited them and not us. And there's a rumor that TO is in Denver right this minute.

Even if TO is a Chief this time tomorrow, which I seriously doubt, there's no way Nick comes out of this looking good. Now I just heard he's saying AGAIN that TO will meet with Herm in 24 hours. Didn't he learn his lesson the first time?

FAX
03-14-2006, 03:09 PM
I really appreciate you guys posting this sort of thing. Great news. Thanks, Mr. BigRock.

The big willies are gonna stick it to the enemy again.

FAX

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:20 PM
I've tried to tell you this before. No one cares that Nick got one right. We like to pile on him because he's an easy target, but none of us really give a damn when he doesn't screw up.

You seem to think the posters here gives a rat's ass about Nick Athan or WPI. They don't. They just like to laugh at the idiots.

No, you're mistaken. There's about 5 of you who pile on strongly each time I dare mention Warpaint. There's at least that many or more who offer some words of encouragement privately for each time you jump on your soapbox. Clearly, being shouted down by a few pricks doesn't really phase me - no matter how much more rude and nasty you become each time.

Jesus christ. You've become a bigger thread wrecker than chiefs4me.
I think you may be suggesting that the only thing I bring to the table is warpaint spam. You're wrong again.

You're an alright guy in person, Jeff. In fact, I'd say we had a good time tailgating more than once last season. But you're a prick online - not just to me either. I had complaints about your style long before I "left" the Planet - each time I begged off saying that you were probably just misunderstood.

I don't know what I did to earn so much of your ire but I don't really appreciate the way you're escalating this each time Warpaint is mentioned at all.

If you were charged with policing this site, that would be one thing.... and I'd certainly respect your wishes. But you're not. Every person who is in a position of authority on this site knows my phone number, my email address, and every other method to contact me. I've not been contacted about what seems to so deeply concern you. You may wish to voice your concerns to the proper authority instead of burning your bridges with me.

jspchief
03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
No, you're mistaken. There's about 5 of you who pile on strongly each time I dare mention Warpaint. There's at least that many or more who offer some words of encouragement privately for each time you jump on your soapbox. Clearly, being shouted down by a few pricks doesn't really phase me - no matter how much more rude and nasty you become each time.

I think you may be suggesting that the only thing I bring to the table is warpaint spam. You're wrong again.

You're an alright guy in person, Jeff. In fact, I'd say we had a good time tailgating more than once last season. But you're a prick online - not just to me either. I had complaints about your style long before I "left" the Planet - each time I begged off saying that you were probably just misunderstood.

I don't know what I did to earn so much of your ire but I don't really appreciate the way you're escalating this each time Warpaint is mentioned at all.

If you were charged with policing this site, that would be one thing.... and I'd certainly respect your wishes. But you're not. Every person who is in a position of authority on this site knows my phone number, my email address, and every other method to contact me. I've not been contacted about what seems to so deeply concern you. You may wish to voice your concerns to the proper authority instead of burning your bridges with me.The only thing I'll say is I started leaving the WPI stuff alone until you came in patting yourself on the back over the Shields being cut story. I had been trying to ignore it. Now you're the one that keeps bringing WPI into the conversation. Whatever. I'll leave it alone for awhile again, and we'll see what happens. I don't think I'm the only that isn't finding your latest run of "humor" that funny. I'll try and lay off of profootballtalk too in the interest of fairness.

As for others thinking I'm a prick. I'm not suprised. I am a prick a lot of the time because I speak from the cuff and don't mince my words. The impersonal nature of the internet allows me to do it even moreso than I probably otherwise would to strangers. The truth is, I have my friends in real life, and am not about to put on an act to make more friends in cyberspace. I'm a take it or leave it type of guy.

shaneo69
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM

If you were charged with policing this site, that would be one thing.... and I'd certainly respect your wishes. But you're not. Every person who is in a position of authority on this site knows my phone number, my email address, and every other method to contact me. I've not been contacted about what seems to so deeply concern you. You may wish to voice your concerns to the proper authority instead of burning your bridges with me.

Not that jsp needs anyone defending him, but I would say he's at least one of the top twenty posters on this board. If anyone was complaining about his "style" to you in private, they're just spineless p*ssies.

Sorry, you knew how everyone here felt about huddleclubkid and wpi, yet you joined up with them anyway. Now you're starting to sound like the original martyr himself, KCJ.

Phobia
03-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Don't bother laying off. I'd be disappointed if I didn't have responses from you, Pagnotti, nj, and titus each time I had the audacity to type Warpaint. I mean, I am just a common spammer over here. Technically, I still own half this place. I may still buy out Kyle one day - who knows?

I'm not dropping the Warpaint name for no reason at all. I'm more polite than that. When I post the name, I have a reason for it and it's pertinent to the thread to which I'm responding. Is it spam? Depends on who you ask, I guess. Is a guy who has 50k posts and helped build this place from nothing given a lot more leeway than some strange noob off the street?

I should hope so.

siberian khatru
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Now you're starting to sound like the original martyr himself, KCJ.

PIE'S ON!

http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/news/9907/01/american.fare.foods/saveur.cooks.recipes/recipe.apple.pie.jpg

the Talking Can
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm sure the fanboys at WPI are excited...you should go there and entertain them with stories of Nick's greatness..that's what they pay for.

If I had a nickle for every time we get lectured by an employee of WPI....we don't get paid to kiss his ass, and aren't interested in watching anyone else do it either.

|Zach|
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Not that jsp needs anyone defending him, but I would say he's at least one of the top twenty posters on this board. If anyone was complaining about his "style" to you in private, they're just spineless p*ssies.

Sorry, you knew how everyone here felt about huddleclubkid and wpi, yet you joined up with them anyway. Now you're starting to sound like the original martyr himself, KCJ.
Congrats on posting something that doesn't have to do with Rufus. Must feel strange.

Phobia
03-14-2006, 09:17 PM

I agree jsp is a top poster on the board, no question. That doesn't negate anything I wrote to him.

"Everybody" does not feel how you feel. Trust me on that. If I'm sounding like a martyr then maybe you misunderstood me.

ChiTown
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
PIE'S ON!

http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/news/9907/01/american.fare.foods/saveur.cooks.recipes/recipe.apple.pie.jpg

Did somebody say pie?

:homer:

Chiefnj
03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Don't bother laying off. I'd be disappointed if I didn't have responses from you, Pagnotti, nj, and titus each time I had the audacity to type Warpaint. I mean, I am just a common spammer over here. Technically, I still own half this place. I may still buy out Kyle one day - who knows?

I'm not dropping the Warpaint name for no reason at all. I'm more polite than that. When I post the name, I have a reason for it and it's pertinent to the thread to which I'm responding. Is it spam? Depends on who you ask, I guess. Is a guy who has 50k posts and helped build this place from nothing given a lot more leeway than some strange noob off the street?

I should hope so.

If you are going to peddle shit, be prepared to have people say it stinks.

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Congrats on posting something that doesn't have to do with Rufus. Must feel strange.

Hey, congrats on posting something football-related. Oh wait, that's right, you didn't.

That's okay, I'm sure you're too busy to keep up with football this time of year, with all the excitement over Missouri State making it to the prestigious NIT tourney and all.

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Don't bother laying off. I'd be disappointed if I didn't have responses from you, Pagnotti, nj, and titus each time I had the audacity to type Warpaint.

It's interesting to watch the metamorphasis of a once respected poster turn into another Proctor.

morphius
03-15-2006, 09:06 AM
ROFL

I'm having Kerry flashbacks, "I was right before I was wrong" and the like...

Morphius
my head hurts.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:11 AM
It's interesting to watch the metamorphasis of a once respected poster turn into another Proctor.

Okay, I'll need to reference my script, but I think I'm supposed to come back and demand unconditional respect because I have a lot of combat experience and medals, right? Then I'm supposed to lash out at you, slinging insults about how your sarcasm schtick got stale in about '02. Then I'm going to post something about never coming back again, right?

Is that what you want from me? Cause I'd sure hate to disappoint Titus. Your opinion is first and foremost on my mind. You should go back through the archives and find something embarrassing that I posted, Titus. Now, THAT schtick was funny. Do that.

FAX
03-15-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm taking Nina to my quarters. She'll be safe there.

FAX

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Okay, I'll need to reference my script...

You try to hard...just do the martyr thing you've done on this thread about a dozen times.

It's works better when you just let it flow.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Just tell me what you want me to post, Titus. Send me a PM. I'll cut and paste it for you.

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Why a PM? Silly.

Besides, you dont need my help. You're doing just fine on your own.

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 09:24 AM
you guys need a blowjob or something. I can dig up halfcan's number for you...I hear he's quite the 'felatio master!'

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Great. Thanks for dropping the Proctor bomb, Titus. That sure was fun. You were right, too. Because I'm everything like Proctor. In fact, a full-blown meltdown of indignance and judgement is forthcoming in my very next post. You totally Athaned the Proctor-prediction, man.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:28 AM
you guys need a blowjob or something. I can dig up halfcan's number for you...I hear he's quite the 'felatio master!'

Are you offering up halfcan? I don't think he's all that attracted to me, quite frankly.

luv
03-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Are you offering up halfcan? I don't think he's all that attracted to me, quite frankly.
I think he just likes to bag on him, or anyone else, anytime he can get one in there.

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Great. Thanks for dropping the Proctor bomb, Titus. That sure was fun. You were right, too. Because I'm everything like Proctor. In fact, a full-blown meltdown of indignance and judgement is forthcoming in my very next post. You totally Athaned the Proctor-prediction, man.

Just calling it like I see it...

I see a person who constantly strokes his own ego then when called on it falls into the martyr role.

Not sure why you cannot see it, but it's quite obvious. It's a shame too.

Oh well, have fun with it...it does generate responses.

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm just trying to calm everyone down. It's like an ex-couple reunited three years after trying to kill one another in here.

Brock
03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
wtf

Short Leash Hootie
I think he just likes to bag on him, or anyone else, anytime he can get one in there.
who Halfcan?! No way! He's like the raspberry preserves to this site's english muffin.

Katipan
Who the hell is Nina and why does she get to go?

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Who the hell is Nina and why does she get to go?
99 red balloons go by!

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Just calling it like I see it...

I see a person who constantly strokes his own ego then when called on it falls into the martyr role.

Oh - I see. Yes, John did have that trait exclusively, didn't he? I'm sorry I've become such a pathetic, disappointment for you. Thanks for the words of encouragement, though. You've been a great friend.

StcChief
03-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Phil,
References to the 'other site' don't bother me in context
of discussion. I don't consider that spamming.

Katipan
Joan of Arc was a martyr. Sorta. Wasn't she?

Phobia
I'm just trying to calm everyone down. It's like an ex-couple reunited three years after trying to kill one another in here.

I appreciate the levity, Hootie. I would join in alongside you, but that's not really Proctor-like.

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 09:37 AM
This is getting good...

Chiefnj
03-15-2006, 09:44 AM
"There's at least that many or more who offer some words of encouragement privately for each time you jump on your soapbox."

For our entertainment, can you post goatcheeses and huddleclubkid's private messages of encouragement ?

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh - I see. Yes, John did have that trait exclusively, didn't he? I'm sorry I've become such a pathetic, disappointment for you. Thanks for the words of encouragement, though. You've been a great friend.

Not a problem...speaking of that, can you check on my props check? It hasnt cleared yet and it was written to the 'Shields cut' account...since that one has been closed, can you just sign it over the to the 'Shields Signed' account?

'preciate it.

Rain Man
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Not to wrench this thread back onto topic, but I'm really pleased that Shields will remain a Chief.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:55 AM
"There's at least that many or more who offer some words of encouragement privately for each time you jump on your soapbox."

For our entertainment, can you post goatcheeses and huddleclubkid's private messages of encouragement ?

I can see the humor in that. But, no I'm not sharing private messages nor will I disclose who is offering any encouragement to me. If you're into the process of elimination thing, you can safely eliminate yourself, Titus, and jspchief from the list.

siberian khatru
03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Not to wrench this thread back onto topic, but I'm really pleased that Shields will remain a Chief.

Yeah, we know you are. Athan already reported it -- after he first reported that you weren't.

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 03:08 PM

Here's a PM I got from huddleclubkid awhile back...

Serously

How about another tactic. You got a problem with me then send me an e-mail and we can hash this out. Your act is getting old. You have a problem with me, then be a man and lets talk about it.

I expressed an opionion based on what I've heard. I could honestly care less if you have a problem with me or not. But what's your real beef? I'd really like to know.

Nick

ROFL

chiefs4me
03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
BOO ****ing HOO......crying and whining about something phob posts on here, do what you all tell others to do, put him on ignore, or just ignore the freaking post, but NO, then you wouldn't have anybody to bitch about.....ROFL oh yea, jsp, you are a prick, but you knew that already didn't you???:D

Now back to the topic.......yea shields......PBJ