PDA

View Full Version : Best Guitar Players Of All Time.....

Kraut
03-14-2006, 05:34 AM
I always love to discuss this topic. Everyone's opinion is different, but I have always found that it makes for good beer drinking discussions. Top 5 is good or more if you can't fit them all in.

My top 5 :

1. Jimmy Paige
2. Jimmi Hendrix
3. Eric Clapton
4. David Gilmour
5. B.B. King

Reaper16
03-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Wow. Such a difficult question... I'll have to think about it and get back to this thread later, though I like your short list, sans Paige.

QuikSsurfer
03-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Josh Homme didn't make the cut?

Reaper16
03-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Josh Homme didn't make the cut?
ROFL good joke

headsnap
03-14-2006, 04:14 PM
a list without Segovia or Atkins is SH!T!!!!!:)

Nightwish
03-14-2006, 05:09 PM
It depends on what you mean by "best." For instance, some of the guys mentioned in the OP were highly influential, highly stylistic, but pretty average when it comes to technical ability (most notably, Jimmy Paige and Jimi Hindrix). Other players in that category (lots of style and influence, average technical ability) would include Tony Iommi and Alex Lifeson.

It's impossible to answer a question about which guitarists are "best," because there are just too many different dimensions to compare -- unique and individual style or personality, influence, technical ability, etc.

Tons of individual style, but only average or slightly above-average technical ability

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Alex Lifeson
Tony Iommi
B.B. King (and most other "great" pure blues players)

Tons of technical ability, but their style doesn't really stand out

Glen Tipton
Timo Tolkki
Warren Demartini
Arian Smith
Jake E. Lee
Adrian Vandenberg
a ton of thrash, speed and power metal guitarists

Distinctive style and lots of technical ability

Steve Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
Akira Takasaki
Randy Rhoades
Dave Murray
John Petrucci
Joe Satriani
Eric Clapton
SRV
Al Di Meola
Eddie Van Halen
Kai Hansen
Andre Olbrich
Luca Turilli
many "great" jazz guitarists

Of course, those are merely my opinions, and those lists are by no means exhaustive. And I'm sure a lot of Maiden fans might take issue for me not putting Adrian Smith and Dave Murray in the same catagory, or not putting Janick Gers on the list. I didn't exclude Janick because I don't think he's good, but only because I haven't listened to enough of his work that closely to really know which category to put him in.

QuikSsurfer
03-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Jack White =)

SCTrojan
03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I admit that I'm no expert on these things, but I've always been partial to George Benson and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

BTAU
03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Eric Clapton
3) B.B. King
4) Jimmy Page
5) Stevie Ray Vaughan

Dinny Blues
03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Freddie King.

Dinny

Deberg_1990
03-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eddie Van Halen two of my personal faves.....

Brock
03-15-2006, 08:30 AM
There are classical guitar players most people have never heard of that put all of those guys to shame as far as the ability to play.

Nzoner
03-15-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm no expert either but I have to give a shout out for Billy Gibbons.

Nubian Nut
03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Eddie Hazel
Prince
Mike Hampton

Reaper16
03-15-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm no expert either but I have to give a shout out for Billy Gibbons.
:clap:

DMAC
03-15-2006, 11:52 AM
You guys are leaving out a pretty dang good one...
Tom Morello.

Others...
David Gilmour
Tim Mahoney (not the best, but like his style)
Carlos Santana
Kirk Hammett
Rory Gallagher

Halfcan
03-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Alex Lifeson-average technical ability-okay I am done laughing now. The guy has been shreading the guitar for years. Oh and he was just on the cover of Guitar Player, not bad for average.

1. Alex
2. Jimi
3. Jimmy
4. Eddie
5. Randy

Reaper16
03-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Alex Lifeson-average technical ability-okay I am done laughing now. The guy has been shreading the guitar for years. Oh and he was just on the cover of Guitar Player, not bad for average.

1. Alex
2. Jimi
3. Jimmy
4. Eddie
5. Randy
Nobody could see this coming. Color me surprised.

Miles
03-15-2006, 10:33 PM
My favorites:

SRV
David Gilmor
Eric Clapton

Halfcan
03-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Nobody could see this coming. Color me surprised.

It would be like the Olympic judging though. .00001 degree from number 1 to 5

Randy is tough call-if he had 30 years of music like Alex it would be different.

SRV had a lot of music left, as did Jimi.

Eddie keeps slipping as his work has. Steve Vai is pretty freakin awesome too.

Nightwish
03-16-2006, 12:01 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love Alex. You of all people know that. And he has admittedly grown by leaps and bounds since they started out. Listening to their early stuff, you can tell he was a lot more sloppy back then than he is now. I just think that of the three members of Rush, he is probably the least virtuoso (I don't think that word's meant to be used as an adjective, but you know what I mean) of them. Compared to other guitarists, he's heads and shoulders above the majority of them, but compared to the other members of Rush, he just doesn't strike me as being on quite the same echelon as Neil and Geddy on their respective instruments.

Demonpenz
03-16-2006, 02:05 AM
i was going to say what brock said. We need someone to come up with some guitar player from the 1800's. this should probably be a "rock" list

Kraut
03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jeff Beck...

memyselfI
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Not sure they are the 'best' but they are top of my list:

Jimmy Page (the best)
Steve Howe
Clapton
Gilmore
Hendrix

gblowfish
03-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Everybody knows the classics: Page, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, etc.

Here's some of my favorites that are kind of under the radar, or under-appreciated:

Mark Knoepfler (Dire Straits)
Frank Zappa (check out "Black Napkins")
Joe Satriani (coming to KC soon)
Roy Buchanan (turned down offer to be in the Stones)
Maury Muehleisen: Did all the cool guitar work for Jim Croce.

siberian khatru
03-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Add to the list:

Steve Hackett
Robert Fripp
Pete Townshend
John McLaughlin
Steve Morse
Brian May
Richard Thompson
Link Wray

Kraut
03-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Everybody knows the classics: Page, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, etc.

Here's some of my favorites that are kind of under the radar, or under-appreciated:

Mark Knoepfler (Dire Straits)
Frank Zappa (check out "Black Napkins")
Joe Satriani (coming to KC soon)
Roy Buchanan (turned down offer to be in the Stones)
Maury Muehleisen: Did all the cool guitar work for Jim Croce.
Way to go with the mention of Knoepfler....I think he is great !!! :clap:

htismaqe
03-21-2006, 05:47 AM
ROFL good joke

Actually, Josh Homme is a very, very good guitar player. One of the best of the current crop.

charlyfreak
03-21-2006, 11:20 AM
shout out for zappa-blackmore-leslie west-alvin lee-steve morse-

PastorMikH
03-21-2006, 11:36 AM
The 'Nuge hasn't been mentioed yet?

Nugent could/can do some awesome stuff on the guitar. Listening to him as a teenager has a lot to do with my lack of ability to hear today.

Nightwish
03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I think a lot people confuse classic, influential, unique and enduring with "best." That's the only way I can imagine that guys like Page and Hendrix keep showing up on "best" lists on bulletin boards all over the country,and why in another decade or so we'll probably be seeing Kurt Cobain on "best" guitarist lists. But then again, as I said earlier in the thread, it depends on what dimensions you consider when you judge what is "best."

PastorMikH
03-21-2006, 11:42 AM
I think a lot people confuse classic, influential, unique and enduring with "best." That's the only way I can imagine that guys like Page and Hendrix keep showing up on "best" lists on bulletin boards all over the country,and why in another decade or so we'll probably be seeing Kurt Cobain on "best" guitarist lists. But then again, as I said earlier in the thread, it depends on what dimensions you consider when you judge what is "best."

You have a point there. Lester Flatt was really good on the Guitar, but I doubt he'd make anyone's list that wasn't a severe redneck.

BigChiefFan
03-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm surprised to see so few Eddie Van Halen mentions-he took the guitar to a different level. EVH is a guitar God.

In no particular order but they deserve mention...

Hendrix
Malmsteen
Satriani
Vai
Johnson
Iommi
SRV
Gary Moore
Page
Rhodes
Santana
Angus Young
Nugent
Clapton
Morse
Hoey
Gilmour
Segovia

Kraut
03-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I have always been of the opinion that what makes a player good is how that player plays in your mind. If to you he sounds awesome then that is what matters. Of course there are players who we all could agree are awesome and ones that we could agree are bad. All the ones that have been named have at least some level of talent. And most of them all have assisted in shaping the music world for generations to come.

Reaper16
03-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Actually, Josh Homme is a very, very good guitar player. One of the best of the current crop.
I could spend literal days listing very good guitar players. This thread asks for the very best. Of all time. To suggest that Homme is such might as well be a joke because it certainly is laughable.

Lzen
03-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Kirk Hammett

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Lzen
03-21-2006, 01:47 PM
It depends on what you mean by "best." For instance, some of the guys mentioned in the OP were highly influential, highly stylistic, but pretty average when it comes to technical ability (most notably, Jimmy Paige and Jimi Hindrix). Other players in that category (lots of style and influence, average technical ability) would include Tony Iommi and Alex Lifeson.

It's impossible to answer a question about which guitarists are "best," because there are just too many different dimensions to compare -- unique and individual style or personality, influence, technical ability, etc.

Tons of individual style, but only average or slightly above-average technical ability

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Alex Lifeson
Tony Iommi
B.B. King (and most other "great" pure blues players)

Tons of technical ability, but their style doesn't really stand out

Glen Tipton
Timo Tolkki
Warren Demartini
Arian Smith
Jake E. Lee
Adrian Vandenberg
a ton of thrash, speed and power metal guitarists

Distinctive style and lots of technical ability

Steve Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
Akira Takasaki
Randy Rhoades
Dave Murray
John Petrucci
Joe Satriani
Eric Clapton
SRV
Al Di Meola
Eddie Van Halen
Kai Hansen
Andre Olbrich
Luca Turilli
many "great" jazz guitarists

Of course, those are merely my opinions, and those lists are by no means exhaustive. And I'm sure a lot of Maiden fans might take issue for me not putting Adrian Smith and Dave Murray in the same catagory, or not putting Janick Gers on the list. I didn't exclude Janick because I don't think he's good, but only because I haven't listened to enough of his work that closely to really know which category to put him in.

Very good post and I agree. I know most of this is rock-based music only, but that's what I know best. A couple of those names I don't know, though.

I suppose something else that I would add is that sometimes, it just boils down to what is your taste. Some people's idea of what makes a great guitar player is not the same as others'.

BTW, I would add George Lynch. His was/is a very distinctive style, but not highly technical. A lot of Lynch's stuff was played purely by feel. The guy couldn't properly teach someone how to play, but he was an incredible guitar player himself.

Ari Chi3fs
03-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Jimi
SRV
Eric

DMAC
03-21-2006, 02:38 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL
OK, forget for a second that we hate Metallica now. Then go listen to ...And Justice For All.

Reaper16
03-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't rate Kirk up there with the very best of all time, but I love his playing just the same. He is one the the best int he guitar panthen of writing memorable solos and lead compositions. I can hum probably 25 or so of his solos from the top of my head.

Lzen
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
OK, forget for a second that we hate Metallica now. Then go listen to ...And Justice For All.

Ok, I love the old Metallica up through the Black Album. Even so, I never thought of Kirk Hammet as one of the best guitarists of all time. Sry, just my opinion.

BTW, And Justice For All still kicks major booty.

Nightwish
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Ok, I love the old Metallica up through the Black Album. Even so, I never thought of Kirk Hammet as one of the best guitarists of all time. Sry, just my opinion.

BTW, And Justice For All still kicks major booty.One of the reasons Kirk often gets mentioned is because he was a student of Satriani. I think Kirk could have really been a great, great talent, given the right circumstances, but having to occasionally share leads with James, and having to endure under James' and Lars' stadium-sized egos probably held him down a bit.

By the way, I totally agree with you about George Lynch.

Halfcan
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
The 'Nuge hasn't been mentioed yet?

Nugent could/can do some awesome stuff on the guitar. Listening to him as a teenager has a lot to do with my lack of ability to hear today.

HUH??? Twat did you say, I c#nt hear you. Tits allright, I will finger it out later. :hmmm:

htismaqe
03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
I could spend literal days listing very good guitar players. This thread asks for the very best. Of all time. To suggest that Homme is such might as well be a joke because it certainly is laughable.

I don't see you laughing at the mention of Alex Lifeson, Adrian Vandenberg, or Gary Hoey.

Something tells me that you're not at all interested in an objective analysis.

SLAG
03-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Just a few off the top of my head..

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Prince, Kid Rock

Over-Head
03-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Another ax slinger I havenít see mentioned yet is Jake E Lee.While yes heís had both good and bad press, you still have to remember when he did "Bark at the Moon" with Ozzy he rocked in a world then dominated with "Wammy Bar" players, and did some mind blowing licks without one.
http://members.tripod.com/~tomolee/Picturespage1.htm

Zack Wyld. Is another one of my favís.

htismaqe
03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Zack Wyld. Is another one of my favís.

He has the meanest pinch harmonic I've ever heard...just plain wicked...

Over-Head
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I know Iíll bring a lot of criticism for this, but, if you listen to "Blizzard of Oz", then listen to "Live and Loud" Zack actually did a better job on the songs that Randy actually helped write, than Randy did himself.
Iím not saying that Randy wasnít a brilliant guitarist, Zack just has something deep and wicked with his playing.

Lzen
03-22-2006, 12:46 PM

:thumb:

htismaqe
03-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I know Iíll bring a lot of criticism for this, but, if you listen to "Blizzard of Oz", then listen to "Live and Loud" Zack actually did a better job on the songs that Randy actually helped write, than Randy did himself.
Iím not saying that Randy wasnít a brilliant guitarist, Zack just has something deep and wicked with his playing.

Some of it has to do with musical background.

Randy Rhoads' mom ran a music school in California and Randy grew up playing classical guitar.

Zakk Wylde grew up playing almost exclusively rock and is also a student of country music.

charlyfreak
03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
shout out for zappa-blackmore-leslie west-alvin lee-steve morse-

i forgot santana......don't know how,since he's my favorite...doh.....

love walter becker,from steely dan as well

Reaper16
03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't see you laughing at the mention of Alex Lifeson, Adrian Vandenberg, or Gary Hoey.

Something tells me that you're not at all interested in an objective analysis.
Part of that was my original response was very early in the thread. People later started naming any good guitar player they could think of, making it useless to respond to every inclusion I disagree with. I wouldn't put any of the above mentiond three in my list, no.

DMAC
03-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Just a few off the top of my head..

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Prince, Kid Rock
Some might laugh at the Kid Rock, but he can actually play every rock n roll instrument. And play them very very good.

htismaqe
03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Part of that was my original response was very early in the thread. People later started naming any good guitar player they could think of, making it useless to respond to every inclusion I disagree with. I wouldn't put any of the above mentiond three in my list, no.

And part of my response was to suggest that this entire exercise is largely subjective...

Reaper16
03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
And part of my response was to suggest that this entire exercise is largely subjective...
Can't disagree. Besides, so many people interchange the words best and favorite these days.

htismaqe
03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Can't disagree. Besides, so many people interchange the words best and favorite these days.

Exactly.

It's also very difficult to determine what constitutes "best".

Is it sheer virtuosity? Maybe Yngwie Malmsteen is the best. But wait, he can't be the best, his songwriting/melody construction capabilities were mediocre at best. So now we've established two criteria. Well, I used to know a guy from White Bear Lake, Minnesota that was an acoustic virtuoso (played with both hands on the fret board) and he wrote some of the catchiest tunes around. He's got to be the best. But wait, nobody has ever heard of him. He never influenced anybody to my knowledge - his entire career consisted of playing small colleges in the midwest. So now we have 3 criteria.

Catch my drift?

For me, I'd have to put Mick Ronson on the list.

Reaper16
03-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Exactly.

It's also very difficult to determine what constitutes "best".

Is it sheer virtuosity? Maybe Yngwie Malmsteen is the best. But wait, he can't be the best, his songwriting/melody construction capabilities were mediocre at best. So now we've established two criteria. Well, I used to know a guy from White Bear Lake, Minnesota that was an acoustic virtuoso (played with both hands on the fret board) and he wrote some of the catchiest tunes around. He's got to be the best. But wait, nobody has ever heard of him. He never influenced anybody to my knowledge - his entire career consisted of playing small colleges in the midwest. So now we have 3 criteria.

Catch my drift?

For me, I'd have to put Mick Ronson on the list.
Oooh, Mick Ronson! That solo at the end of "Moonage Daydream," man, it's not anything flashy or technical or even following a scale. It's simply the right notes held for the right amount f time witht he right feeling behind them.

Over-Head
03-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Some of it has to do with musical background.

Randy Rhoads' mom ran a music school in California and Randy grew up playing classical guitar.

Zakk Wylde grew up playing almost exclusively rock and is also a student of country music.

Thatís very evident on the tribute album, where Randy starts doing something like Mozartís 7th
movement during the lead to Crazy Train and Paranoid.
Not to mention his solo and song "Dee"I've read that just before he was killed , he had actually told Ozzy this was his last tour so he could go back to school and earn a PHD in Classical music, then start teaching..

Another player I used to listen to a lot was Brad Gillis "night Ranger/Ozzy"

Demonpenz
03-25-2006, 01:42 PM
John Mayer

trndobrd
03-25-2006, 04:48 PM
In addition to the Jimi, SRV, Page pantheon I would add the following:

Bob Mould (Husker Du and Sugar)
Junior Brown (steel git)
Dick Dale (King of the Surf Guitar)
Eddie Hazel (already mentioned, P-Funk)

Kraut
03-28-2006, 05:01 AM
In addition to the Jimi, SRV, Page pantheon I would add the following:

Bob Mould (Husker Du and Sugar)
Junior Brown (steel git)
Dick Dale (King of the Surf Guitar)
Eddie Hazel (already mentioned, P-Funk)
Dick Dale is awesome ....I totally forgot about him

StcChief
03-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Jazz:
Paco DeLucia
John McLoughlin

Rock Bass:
John Entwhistle
Nathan East

SLAG
03-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Some might laugh at the Kid Rock, but he can actually play every rock n roll instrument. And play them very very good.

Yeah On His albums Its him Playing all the Instruments..

its nuts

he puts on an Awesome Live show

Kraut
03-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah On His albums Its him Playing all the Instruments..

its nuts

he puts on an Awesome Live show
Yeah, myself and some of my buddies went to see him. A few of my buddies are big into playing instruments and rocking and we were all amazed at his talent. He put on an awesome performance!!

jlscorpio
03-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Homme is a Gawd. Kyuss/QOTSA friggin OWN. He's the only one mentioned still making relevant music today. Just because he doesn't get played on repeat on classic rock stations doesn't mean he isn't an all-timer. I love all the old guys too, but step outside the box every once in a while.

htismaqe
03-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Homme is a Gawd. Kyuss/QOTSA friggin OWN. He's the only one mentioned still making relevant music today. Just because he doesn't get played on repeat on classic rock stations doesn't mean he isn't an all-timer. I love all the old guys too, but step outside the box every once in a while.

I'm a huge QOTSA fan (the only one here I think until you showed up) but they're talking about the best guitar players of all time...not sure he's been around long enough to earn that title...

YET.

jlscorpio
03-31-2006, 04:29 PM
glad to see other fans of Queens on here. The first kyuss record came out in '92 I think. 13 years is a good lil bit. 4 kyuss records/4 QOTSA records. Solid resume IMO.

jlscorpio
03-31-2006, 04:35 PM
math error, 14 yrs

Nightwish
03-31-2006, 04:46 PM
He's the only one mentioned still making relevant music today.I don't know where you got that idea. A number of the people mentioned are still making "relevant" music today. One that immediately comes to mind is John Petrucci, who is not only still at the forefront of making relevant modern music, but on just about any level he makes Homme look like a pansy. Heck, if you look at my list on page one, several of those guys are current phenoms, not left in the past - Kai Hansen, Andre Olbrich, Dave Murray, Luca Turilli. Homme is good, but he's not in the same arena as many of people mentioned in this thread.

jlscorpio
03-31-2006, 04:51 PM
well, i guess that depends on one's own definition of relevant...

Oz_Chief
03-31-2006, 05:42 PM
What about:

Duane Allman
Django Reinhard
Ronnie Montrose

I don't the names of the lead guitarists in The Cars or The News but they could always lay it down. Nothing too kick ass but it would at least make you say "that guy can play".

Reaper16
03-31-2006, 05:48 PM
What about:

Duane Allman
Django Reinhard

Nice

Reaper16
03-31-2006, 05:49 PM
well, i guess that depends on one's own definition of relevant...
I'd say yours might be a lil restrictive.

IMO, Queens is losing its brilliance, and Josh's other stuff, namely The Eagles of Death Metal, is terrible.

DomerNKC
03-31-2006, 07:14 PM
count me in as a huge knopfler fan

Halfcan
03-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Jazz:
Paco DeLucia
John McLoughlin

Rock Bass:
John Entwhistle
Nathan East

Geddy Lee should be on top of that list. :cuss:

jlscorpio
04-01-2006, 08:50 AM

IMO, Queens is losing its brilliance, and Josh's other stuff, namely The Eagles of Death Metal, is terrible.

Everyone's definition is restricted to what THEY like. Quenns losing their brilliance is a matter of opinion, whatever. I don't care for Eagles of Death Metal either. Josh plays drums on that. If Eddie and Alex traded instruments, VH would probably sound like @$$ too. Its just creative experimentation. Desert Sessions is very good stuff. I think a lot of the differing opinions on this thread comes down to different tastes. If your favorite band is dream theater, and mine is QOTSA, we're not gonna pimp the same guitarist. Its all good though, I respect all good shredders, whether I like their music or not. Cool topic, at least it got people talking on the musicplanet.

Reaper16
04-01-2006, 09:45 AM

Everyone's definition is restricted to what THEY like. Quenns losing their brilliance is a matter of opinion, whatever. I don't care for Eagles of Death Metal either. Josh plays drums on that. If Eddie and Alex traded instruments, VH would probably sound like @$$ too. Its just creative experimentation. Desert Sessions is very good stuff. I think a lot of the differing opinions on this thread comes down to different tastes. If your favorite band is dream theater, and mine is QOTSA, we're not gonna pimp the same guitarist. Its all good though, I respect all good shredders, whether I like their music or not. Cool topic, at least it got people talking on the musicplanet.
True, it's all a matter of opinion. There are plenty of people who disagree with me and think Queens' latest album is just as good as the previous ones.

I'll clear the air though and say that I can't stand Dream Theater. Like, at all, despite my preference for prog-metal and prog-rock. I'd listen to QotSA over DT 10 times out of 10.

Oz_Chief
04-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Has anyone mentioned Angus Young?

The Bon Scott era is unreal. I recommend the Australian/New Zealand albums: "TNT", "Diry Deeds..." and "High Voltage". Their version of "Baby Please Don't Go" is great.

shaneo69
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Ace Frehley

:rockon:

Braincase
04-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Best I've seen lately...

Buckethead
Joe Satriani (TONIGHT!!!)
Eric Johnson (TONIGHT!)
Luca Turilli
Alexi Laiho (Yes, Children of Bodon was in Lawrence Friday night)

Reaper16
04-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Best I've seen lately...

Buckethead
Joe Satriani (TONIGHT!!!)
Eric Johnson (TONIGHT!)
Luca Turilli
Alexi Laiho (Yes, Children of Bodon was in Lawrence Friday night)
Props for mentioning Buckethead and Laiho. I wasn't aware more than maybe 3 people on this board knew of Bodom. I was pissed that I missed that show.

htismaqe
04-03-2006, 07:58 AM

Count me in with the minority that thought the latest QOTSA effort was just as strong as the rest.

Also count me in on EoDM...don't like it...

jlscorpio
04-03-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't really consider any of these guys to be in the GOAT category, but I was wondering in a duel between Maiden's Murray/Smith and Priest's Downing/Tipton, who do you prefer??? Also, nobody has mentioned Tomy Iommi yet. While he's not in the same league as Hendrix/Page, he did produce some of the greatest hooks EVER. Another one of my faves is Stevie Ray Vaughn. L8R

Reaper16
04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I don't really consider any of these guys to be in the GOAT category, but I was wondering in a duel between Maiden's Murray/Smith and Priest's Downing/Tipton, who do you prefer??? Also, nobody has mentioned Tomy Iommi yet. While he's not in the same league as Hendrix/Page, he did produce some of the greatest hooks EVER. Another one of my faves is Stevie Ray Vaughn. L8R
Iommi's playing and influence is sacrosanct.

Also: Tipton and Downing > Murray and Smith,
but IM's discography > JP's,
but the album "Painkiller" > any one Maiden album,
but the song "Painkiller" = "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
so
Iron Maiden = Judas Preist

jlscorpio
04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
nice post...my head is still spinning. Bonus points for the "Hallowed Be Thy Name" reference...I had to look up sacrosanct, you wordsmith you!

Reaper16
04-03-2006, 01:14 PM
nice post...my head is still spinning. Bonus points for the "Hallowed Be Thy Name" reference...I had to look up sacrosanct, you wordsmith you!
I like you.

Nightwish
04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't really consider any of these guys to be in the GOAT category, but I was wondering in a duel between Maiden's Murray/Smith and Priest's Downing/Tipton, who do you prefer???
That's a tough one. I like Murray/Smith for the way that they do a lot of dual harmonic leads, with one taking a melody line and one taking a harmony line on a lead. Priest doesn't do a lot of that, and most of the time it is Tipton on the lead with Downing holding down the rhythm guitar, though Downing does rip into a lead from time to time. Maiden shares the lead responsibilities a lot more than Priest, but of the four guitarists mentioned, I can't quite decide whether to name Murray or Tipton as the better guitarist. I think Murray is a little more fluid, but Tipton is a faster player and better shredder. All in all, I'd have to put both duos roughly equal.

Also, nobody has mentioned Tomy Iommi yet.
Actually, I mentioned him in post #6, under the "tons of personal style, but only average or slightly above average technical ability" category, along with Page, Hendrix and a few others.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
The best guitar player ever is B-Shizzle, otherwise known as Brian Shelton, the guitarist for Felonious Attempt.

Demonpenz
04-04-2006, 12:45 AM
i am a queen of the stone age fan

htismaqe
04-04-2006, 07:50 AM
For any of you QOTSA fans, I strongly recommend you check out "Vertigo" by Supafuzz. A strong effort from a band out of Lexington, KY...

Halfcan
04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
That's a tough one. I like Murray/Smith for the way that they do a lot of dual harmonic leads, with one taking a melody line and one taking a harmony line on a lead. Priest doesn't do a lot of that, and most of the time it is Tipton on the lead with Downing holding down the rhythm guitar, though Downing does rip into a lead from time to time. Maiden shares the lead responsibilities a lot more than Priest, but of the four guitarists mentioned, I can't quite decide whether to name Murray or Tipton as the better guitarist. I think Murray is a little more fluid, but Tipton is a faster player and better shredder. All in all, I'd have to put both duos roughly equal.

Actually, I mentioned him in post #6, under the "tons of personal style, but only average or slightly above average technical ability" category, along with Page, Hendrix and a few others.

Jannick Gers of Maiden is better than all of them. If you get a chance to see this guy live-he rocks-he added 10 to 15 years onto Maiden.

As far as dual guitars: Matthias Jabs and Rudolf Schenker get my vote. For all, you teeny booper music experts they are from The SCORPIONS! I have seen them 7 times and they put on a perfect show. Jabs is in my top ten-he has such a crisp, awesome, fat sound.

Nightwish
04-04-2006, 10:22 PM
As far as dual guitars: Matthias Jabs and Rudolf Schenker get my vote. For all, you teeny booper music experts they are from The SCORPIONS! I have seen them 7 times and they put on a perfect show. Jabs is in my top ten-he has such a crisp, awesome, fat sound.I agree, I always thought Matthias was the better of the two, though Schenker usually had the spotlight, probably by virtue of being Michael's brother.

As for Jannick Gers, I'll agree that he's better than Adrian, from what I've heard, though I haven't heard nearly as much of his work as the others. But better than Dave Murray? I dunno, that's a tough call. Dave's pretty damn good! Jannick definitely brings a youthful vigor back into the band (in addition to Bruce's spastic athleticism), although he's no spring chicken!

burt
04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Santana
Vai
Knoffler
Ry Cooder
Eric Johnson
Satriani
Slow Hand
SRV
and Stanley Jordon(clasical)

I guess I am sacreligious...I never liked Jimi Hendrix.

jlscorpio
04-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Again, not the GOAT, but always one of my personal faves...Kim Thayil of Soundgarden. Highly original; masterfully molded Sabbath, Zeppelin, and 80's punk all into one sound.

ZepSinger
04-05-2006, 06:40 PM
I cannot believe that Michael Schenker of UFO has not been mentioned. Smooth, precise eurometal at it's finest! This guy is the reason I bought my Gibson Flying V 30 years ago...

http://www.cgerlach.de/images/schenker_ufo.jpg

Psyko Tek
04-06-2006, 08:54 PM
you forgot the classics
I put in a vote for Chuck Berry

blues
Roy Buchanan

Instrumental
Gary Hoey

clapton
knoeffler
jhendrix

and
Roy Clark every hear his Man of Steel albom
that man could play anything and quite well

MOhillbilly
04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Robert Randolph

Thig Lyfe
04-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I dunno...
Maybe I'd say

Price
Hendrix
Chet Atkins
Clapton
Santana

Jack White as an up-and-comer black horse maybe.

But then again I'm the farthest thing possible from a music expert.

trndobrd
04-08-2006, 11:11 AM
If we are talking guitar duos, we can't forget Tufnel/St. Hubbins

Reaper16
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
ROFL

Nightwish
04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
ROFLROFLROFL

:thumb:

Kraut
04-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Jannick Gers of Maiden is better than all of them. If you get a chance to see this guy live-he rocks-he added 10 to 15 years onto Maiden.

As far as dual guitars: Matthias Jabs and Rudolf Schenker get my vote. For all, you teeny booper music experts they are from The SCORPIONS! I have seen them 7 times and they put on a perfect show. Jabs is in my top ten-he has such a crisp, awesome, fat sound.
Gers and Maiden ROCK. :clap: :clap:

ChiefFripp
04-11-2006, 11:38 AM
I like guitar tandems in bands , here are some favorites of mine...
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
Porl Thompson and Robert Smith
Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgrin
Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew

John Fruciante and David Gilmour are probably my favorite lone-wolf guitarist.

Reaper16
04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I like guitar tandems in bands in bands, here are some favorites of mine...
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
Porl Thompson and Robert Smith
Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgrin
Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew

John Fruciante and David Gilmour are probably my favorite lone-wolf guitarist.
You = awesome.

ChiefFripp
04-11-2006, 04:37 PM

I'm a rabid Maiden fan and I think Janick Gers blows. He is way too sloppy for Maiden's tight sound and he looks like a clown onstage...even next to the other Maiden guys ROFL Just look at the dive in quality Maiden took after Gers replaced Smith. How do you go from a superb album like Seventh Son to a pile of crap like No Prayer in only a years time? I guess you hire Gers.

Reaper16
04-11-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm a rabid Maiden fan and I think Janick Gers blows. He is way too sloppy for Maiden's tight sound and he looks like a clown onstage...even next to the other Maiden guys ROFL Just look at the dive in quality Maiden took after Gers replaced Smith. How do you go from a superb album like Seventh Son to a pile of crap like No Prayer in only a years time? I guess you hire Gers.
Point. Set. Match.

StcChief
04-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Leo Kottke - a 12 string master

htismaqe
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM

He's gonna be in Des Moines on the 21st...

Nzoner
04-14-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm adding Joe Satriani to my list as well,after seeing him live last week and after having checked out his double dvd concert from the Fillmore I'm sold.

redbrian
04-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Glad to see someone finally brought up Leo, guitar player magazine in the 80's retired Leo from their yearly list of great players as it was unfair to the others to keep him in the running.

Also nice to see two folks bring up Roy Buchanan, I have several of his LP's (yes real vinyl).

And for a mind blowing original player there is none better than Stanley Jordan, saw the kid when he was first on the scene playing on Austin City Limits and was just stunned by his style and sound.