PDA

View Full Version : Need lower body workout routine suggestions.....

John_Wayne
03-14-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm trying to lose weight and get into better shape. I've started working out. I'm using the "Body For Life" weight lifting program. I read the book and there is also a website. But, I'm not taking the supplements because they are expensive and my Dr. said they would be a waste unless I was a hard core weight lifter.

So, I bought some weight lifting equipment. I'll eat healthier, but refuse to go on some fad diet or radical plan. The key in my mind is exercise and building muscle which will burn fat. That's the best method for long term success. I'll buy more equipment later, but for now all I have is a really good treadmill, a swiss ball, an adjustable bench and a really good set of dumbbells. I don't have one yet, but in the next day or two I'll buy an exercise mat so that I can do some crunches and such. I'm working out in my basement. It's not a finished basement. It's just a concrete floor and walls.

Anyway, with the dumbbells there are plenty of exercises that I can do for an upper body workout. However, I find that I'm limited in my lower body workout with only dumbbells to work with. And I want a variety of exercises to choose from. I don't want to do the same thing over and over. I need new options to work my quads, hams and calves. I've been doing dumbbell squats, lunges and deadlifts. I could also do some step ups, calf raises and side steps. I can't do hack squats, leg extensions or standing leg curls. I don't have those machines.

So, here's my obvious question: With only a swiss ball, dumbbells and adjustable bench, do you know where I can get a long list of lower body exercises? Do you have any suggestions? What exercises work for you?

sedated
03-14-2006, 10:18 AM
squats, lunges, stretching, running.

that's all you need. men don't need impressive legs.

seclark
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
send a pm to big daddy...i'm sure he''ll have some good advice for you to try.
sec

Ari Chi3fs
03-14-2006, 10:28 AM
The trick is massive Cardio.

I have been going to gym for 6 weeks now... 20-25 minutes of cardio each time, and have lost 15 lbs so far, and converted much more to muscle.

Steam Bath Saunas help burn 200-400 calories for every 10-20 minutes you are in... so I do cardio, do upperbody, then do steam bath... and I feel great.

I no longer look/feel like a weeble wobble.

jspchief
03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Squats should be the emphasis of your training anyway. They are excellent for building core strength, which will translate into all of your workouts.

Also, lunges and calf raises.

KC Jones
03-14-2006, 10:32 AM
send a pm to big daddy...i'm sure he''ll have some good advice for you to try.
sec

Heh - if you knew the history between these two BD's advice would be something like 'take a swim up current in the Missouri river with a 1 ton anchor strapped to your back immediately after eating a dozen pancakes.'

seclark
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Heh - if you knew the history between these two BD's advice would be something like 'take a swim up current in the Missouri river with a 1 ton anchor strapped to your back immediately after eating a dozen pancakes.'
oh my...thanks for the tip.
sec

Iowanian
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Go to timber and large CRP field, walk all fence lines and trails, pick up antler sheds and walk back to truck. Go to next field.

JBucc
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Find a really tall building, run up the stairs all the way to the top and then back down.

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Squats should be the emphasis of your training anyway. They are excellent for building core strength, which will translate into all of your workouts.

Yep, what he said.

Squats were our main vocal point for our legs in high school. Squats work all the lower body parts. Don't do squats on a machine though. Do it free-weight style, it's a lot better. Work on the groin some you could do side lunges and to work on the hamstring do front lunges. I think we did 3 x 10 once a week on the lunges, usually holding some weight. I usually did 3 x 15 in calf raises once a week. With the workout I did I got up to 450 in sqaut but am back down to probably the upper 200's.

Cochise
03-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Shower with a bottle of Jergens.

ChiefsOne
03-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Ali Chi3fs and converted much more to muscle

NO you didn't! Muscle cannot be converted to fat. This is one of those stupid things people say and they have no idea what they are talking about. Congratulations on beginning your workout though, stay with it and don't tell anyone about you turning fat in to muscle.

morphius
03-14-2006, 11:42 AM

With his equipment I would recommend the squat and the lunge.

Gunther_Fan - I have a book of things you can do at home, I'll check it out tonight for you and see if there are some other things I can find for you.

What worked best for me is trade off, one day run on the treadmill, next day lift weights, rince and repeat...

ChiefsOne
03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Gunther_Fan you can hold the dumbells over you head and do squats, great exercise.

Cross one arm over you chest holding the weight against your chest, use your other hand to hold on to a something sturdy (pole, rail), put your feet about 8" apart and squat down while leaning back called Sissy Squats.

Lay on your stomach and holding the dumbell between your feet and you can do leg curls like that.

ChiefsOne
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
One leg squats with the dumbell works great too.

morphius
03-14-2006, 11:46 AM
You can do calf raises as well, just find a step or a board, standing on it with the front part of your foot and raise and lower your foot. Simple and effective for shaping calves.

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 11:50 AM

Gunther_Fan - I have a book of things you can do at home, I'll check it out tonight for you and see if there are some other things I can find for you.

What worked best for me is trade off, one day run on the treadmill, next day lift weights, rince and repeat...

Yep...a key companent to gaining strength or anything is rest.

We did it like this in football. As best as I can remember it.

Mon: Bench, cleans, abs, run (short but the bench took awhile)
Tues: Curls, Triceps, shoulder press, abs, run
Wed: Squats, abs, run
Thur: abs, lunges, calf raises, run, plyos.

morphius
03-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Yep...a key companent to gaining strength or anything is rest.

We did it like this in football. As best as I can remember it.

Mon: Bench, cleans, abs, run (short but the bench took awhile)
Tues: Curls, Triceps, shoulder press, abs, run
Wed: Squats, abs, run
Thur: abs, lunges, calf raises, run, plyos.
Our HS workout was lift M-W-F and run snakes T-Th. Damn I hate running snakes.

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Our HS workout was lift M-W-F and run snakes T-Th. Damn I hate running snakes.

I think they do the M-W-F now with Tue, Thurs and the weekends off. I hated running snakes as well. That and 100 yard ladders by 10 or 5 if we pissed him off. The wheel (I think that is what it was called) sucked as well. But the ladders sucked worse than anything.

Ha, we use to assface a freshman every Thursday. We had a disgusting Senior the grossest ass ever witnessed. He would pull down his pants and shove his nasty ass in the freshmans face. Man that was funny.

Of course this senior was the same guy that we deloused (sp) in the shower one day after practice. Now that was even funnier.

John_Wayne
03-14-2006, 12:28 PM

You're right. However, when his truck was totalled I offered to help him out with some good insurance advice. I'm an insurance adjustor for auto damage. I could have saved him some big time money. But he was a jackass. So screw him. He's hopeless. Oh well. Life goes on.

John_Wayne
03-14-2006, 12:31 PM

Also, lunges and calf raises.Right. Maybe the basics is all I need at this point.

John_Wayne
03-14-2006, 12:33 PM

What worked best for me is trade off, one day run on the treadmill, next day lift weights, rince and repeat... Cool! Thanks.

I am alternating my workouts. Here's my schedule.

Week 1
upper body
cardio
lower body
cardio
upper body
cardio
rest

Week 2
lower body
cardio
upper body
cardio
lower body
cardio
rest

Repeat......

morphius
03-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Cool! Thanks.

I am alternating my workouts. Here's my schedule.

Week 1
upper body
cardio
lower body
cardio
upper body
cardio
rest

Week 2
lower body
cardio
upper body
cardio
lower body
cardio
rest

Repeat......
I tried that, but wasn't getting enough out of my leg sessions to really lose any weight, so I just combined that with my upper body. If it works for you your way, cool, if not don't be afraid to combine it.

I also switched to doing my Abs on my running days, because my upper/lower combined was already so long as to make me have to move something. Now both workouts are about 45 minutes.

I'll note that during the time I was sticking with my workout I lost 3 pounds every week.

FAX
03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Stand in an exterior doorway facing outside (this will be important later.)

Place your left foot against the left door jamb. Then place your right foot against the other side. Slowly move each foot up one by one, inch by inch, until your feet are at the top of the doorway. Do not use your hands.

With the wind you have remaining, you may need to cry for help because there could be difficulty getting back down. However, your lower extremities will be all the stronger for it.

FAX

John_Wayne
03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Stand in an exterior doorway facing outside (this will be important later.)

Place your left foot against the left door jamb. Then place your right foot against the other side. Slowly move each foot up one by one, inch by inch, until your feet are at the top of the doorway. Do not use your hands.

With the wind you have remaining, you may need to cry for help because there could be difficulty getting back down. However, your lower extremities will be all the stronger for it.

FAX I tried it. I broke my ankle and my ass. Thanks alot!!!!! :mad:

Just kidding. :)

chief husker
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Go the local gym and check out the spin class. I guarantee you will want to puke from the intensity the first time. Unbelievable workout. Lower you heart rate, increase lung capacity, and burn a mother load of calories. Oh, and there are plenty of honeys.

DomerNKC
03-14-2006, 11:04 PM
become a mover. after three months this summer, your legs will look better than ever.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Try some 'Burpees'.

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands raised over your head. Now squat down and place your palms on the floor by your feet.
Kick both of your legs back so that you're now in position to do a pushup.
Bend your elbows and lower your body until it's about one inch off of the floor.
Now push yourself back up and at the end of the pushup quickly pull both knees into your chest while keeping your hands on the floor. You're basically jumping back into the squat position found in the first step.
Stand straight up by straightening your legs and throwing your hands in the air over your head. You're now in the position that you started in, repeat as needed.
If you want to make the burpee more advanced by increasing the explosive power in your legs, jump about 3-4 inches into the air as you stand up in step 5.

Do 5, walk across the room and do 4, walk back and do 3, then 2. When you can do countdown sets starting with 20 your legs will be in pretty good shape.

Let your wife steer, put the car in neutral, push it around the block, or around a big, empty parking lot. Stretch first!

More good, cheap workouts here:

http://www.crossfit.com/

Simplex3
03-14-2006, 11:16 PM
squats, lunges, stretching, running.

that's all you need. pussies don't need impressive legs.

Fixed your post.

Simplex3
03-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Yep, what he said.

Squats were our main vocal point for our legs in high school. Squats work all the lower body parts. Don't do squats on a machine though. Do it free-weight style, it's a lot better. Work on the groin some you could do side lunges and to work on the hamstring do front lunges. I think we did 3 x 10 once a week on the lunges, usually holding some weight. I usually did 3 x 15 in calf raises once a week. With the workout I did I got up to 450 in sqaut but am back down to probably the upper 200's.

If you're going to do heavy squats without a spotter you'll either need to use BIG dumbells which will require wrist straps and f**k up your arms OR you'll need a cage/rack. You can use a smith machine, but I don't find them any more effective than machine weights because it controls the lateral movement for you.

You can get the cage without the high-low pully assemblies and assorted crap hanging off of this one, but you get the idea.

http://www.tuffstuff.net/retail/products/home_equip/workout_benches/TPR265.jpg

Frankie
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Need lower body workout routine suggestions.....
Depends on your definition of "lower body workout!"
:p

Simplex3
03-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Depends on your definition of "lower body workout!"
:p
Like he doesn't have plenty of practice doing THAT.

Halfcan
03-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Sex