PDA

View Full Version : Givens to Titans

nychief
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Givens gets $8M bonus, chance to be No. 1 WR
By Michael Smith
ESPN.com

Wide receiver David Givens has signed with the Tennessee Titans for five years, $24 million, with an $8 million signing bonus.

His old team, the New England Patriots, and the Houston Texans also made offers. He visited Miami first but there was no offer from the Dolphins.

In the end it came down to New England (emotional ties) and Tennessee, but the Titans had the edge because they gave Givens an opportunity to be the No. 1 receiver.

Michael Smith is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

jspchief
03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
He would have been a nice addition to the Chiefs.

Count Zarth
03-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Screw that BRING ON TO. I LOVE ME SOME ME!

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Does anyone think he can be a #1 WR. He would've looked great as a KC player.

Garcia Bronco
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
RUMOR: TO and Drew just landed in Denver and were picked up by Denver officials

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=39341

cadmonkey
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
MOTHER F*CKER!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Amnorix
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Givens is a very good player, but i'm not sure he's a #1 like a Bruce, TO, Moulds (not sure if he STILL is), Moss, etc.

He's basically an above-average possession receiver. He's a "better" Troy Brown, if you will. Also a superb downfield blocker.

Very good player overall. I have no idea if the Titans overpaid for him, but the Patriots made an offer that apparently wasn't good enough.

Sucks to lose him. But OTOH, it's nice to see a 7th round draft pick work his way into a $24M deal.

Garcia Bronco
03-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Tenn totally overpaid for this guy...wow

Amnorix
03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
MOTHER F*CKER!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Yeah, annoying, but the Pats have never been willing to pay that much to their WRs.

Pats are currently $20M under the cap, or thereabouts, I'm really hoping that we're putting together extensions for Branch and Seymour. Keeping those two is huge. Givens is a very good #2, but ultimately I doubt the Pats were willing to have him eat up $5M in cap room per year or whatever.

Amnorix
03-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Tenn totally overpaid for this guy...wow

:shrug: With Bennett and Givens, they have basically two 1As. Guys that aren't really #1s, but are better than nearly all #2s out there.

It is steep though.

Garcia Bronco
03-14-2006, 10:54 AM
:shrug: With Bennett and Givens, they have basically two 1As. Guys that aren't really #1s, but are better than nearly all #2s out there.

It is steep though.

don't get me wrong..Givens is good...but 8 mill seems to much...about 3 mill too much IMO

Dunit35
03-14-2006, 10:55 AM

Has Owens officially been released now. Haven't seen anything on ESPN News about it yet?

Wile_E_Coyote
03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
they got Mawae also
http://www.titansradio.com/
TITANS SIGN MAWAE AND GIVENS Make it three free agents, the Titans signed wide receiver David Givens and agreed to terms with center Kevin Mawae Tuesday morning.

''I think David again is the prime candidate for free agency,'' General Manager Floyd Reese said. ''He's young, he's healthy, he's productive, he is as classy as anyone you will want to meet. Will be a leader on our team and to top it all off, he's got more Super Bowl rings than he's got fingers for."

Givens and Mawae make it three free agents in three days for Tennessee. The announcement came this hour at Baptist Sports Park.

Garcia Bronco
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Has Owens officially been released now. Haven't seen anything on ESPN News about it yet?

4 or 5 today is the cut off

Amnorix
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
don't get me wrong..Givens is good...but 8 mill seems to much...about 3 mill too much IMO

:shrug: That's just the SB. Pro-rated over 5 years and it's only $1.6 or so per year.

Also, these numbers are really worthless. For all we know the deal is heavily back-loaded or soemthing.

But yes, $24M seems like too much.

Amnorix
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Oh, one more thing about Givens -- never misses a play. Top conditioned guy who isn't injury prone. That's worth something right there.

Cave Johnson
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't get this signing for the Titans. Calico is a bust, sure, but they invested their 2-4 picks on receivers last year. One of the three would have likely panned out. Brandon Jones looks like a starting caliber guy before he was injured.

And they have a solid group of tight ends.

Garcia Bronco
03-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Well the salary isn't guaranteed and can be reneg'ed...and not to many see the life of a contract in DC.

Mile High Mania
03-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Yuck.

cadmonkey
03-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, annoying, but the Pats have never been willing to pay that much to their WRs.

Pats are currently $20M under the cap, or thereabouts, I'm really hoping that we're putting together extensions for Branch and Seymour. Keeping those two is huge. Givens is a very good #2, but ultimately I doubt the Pats were willing to have him eat up $5M in cap room per year or whatever.

I know, I know. but I really enjoyed having him in New England. He was always a great second option. Who is going to step up to be the #2 now, Troy Brown?

Undertaker #59
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I know, I know. but I really enjoyed having him in New England. He was always a great second option. Who is going to step up to be the #2 now, Troy Brown?

If they even re-sign him. Troy is talking about retirement.

cadmonkey
03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
If they even re-sign him. Troy is talking about retirement.

Great, Tim Dwight will be our #2 :banghead:

Amnorix
03-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Great, Tim Dwight will be our #2 :banghead:

Sorry, he's a free agent too. Been talking to the Jets, last I heard.

We've got Branch and Bethel under contract right now, and that's it. Gottta get some warm bodies, no doubt about it.