PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion...next week

keg in kc
03-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Damn, there goes my life down the commode.

Pants
03-15-2006, 01:17 AM

What about WoW?

It's only getting better in 1.10.

David.
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Can't wait for oblivion.

I'm more than likely going to retire from WoW when this comes out.

Actually..my subscription is already up...

keg in kc
03-15-2006, 09:19 PM
What about WoW?

It's only getting better in 1.10.I'm a tank, nothing really changes for me. Same ol', same ol'.

My guild's going through some turmoil, struggled initially in BWL and some people left for greener pastures. I'm feeling a little burnt-out right now, so I figure it's a good time for a bit of a sabbatical while we get our shit together. I haven't been doing much lately but MC raids, anyway. Still get on for an hour or two a night, but not much more.

David.
03-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm a tank, nothing really changes for me. Same ol', same ol'.

My guild's going through some turmoil, struggled initially in BWL and some people left for greener pastures. I'm feeling a little burnt-out right now, so I figure it's a good time for a bit of a sabbatical while we get our shit together. I haven't been doing much lately but MC raids, anyway. Still get on for an hour or two a night, but not much more.

raiding has really burnt me out too. MC+BWL+AQ+ZG gets old quick.

Pants
03-17-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm a tank, nothing really changes for me. Same ol', same ol'.

Cool, cool. I'm amassing gold and mats to start my Tier .5 set once 1.10 comes out. I only have access to Tier 1, and it completely blows for non-healbot paladins.

CHIEF4EVER
03-17-2006, 04:43 PM

I hear it is supposed to be friggin awesome. I have ES III for XBOX and like it. Looks like I will be buying this game and spending an inordinate amount of my lifespan playing it if it is as good as advertised.

Mr. Laz
03-17-2006, 05:20 PM
is it MM like WOW?

Denizen
03-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I've been waiting for this game for 6 months now. I quit WOW cold turkey last August when the guild I was in became the first Horde to take down Rags on Uldum. Been dying for something good to come along ever since but now days it seems great RPGs only come out about every 2 years.

unlurking
03-17-2006, 06:51 PM
is it MM like WOW?

Nope, single player, but check out these screen shots...

Nevermind, in order to post them, they need to be scaled down to far for the absolute beauty og the environment to be visilble.

Check them out here...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_pc_screens_01.htm

I'll try linking one...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv22B.jpg

Mr. Laz
03-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Nope, single player, but check out these screen shots...

Nevermind, in order to post them, they need to be scaled down to far for the absolute beauty og the environment to be visilble.

Check them out here...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_pc_screens_01.htm

I'll try linking one...

http://www. s.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv22B.jpg

almost looks like a medieval Halo or something. :D

unlurking
03-17-2006, 07:00 PM
almost looks like a medieval Halo or something. :D

:)

The texture just looks amazing. I haven't seen any clips, so I have no idea how fluid movement is, but the scenery is incredible.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv16B.jpg

keg in kc
03-17-2006, 07:15 PM
A variety of Video Clips (http://www.3ddownloads.com/RPG/The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20IV:%20Oblivion/Movies;jsessionid=438516D0CA19168B89ACE4109A56FF97) including 30 second "countown" videos they're posting every day for a week before it hits stores.

unlurking
03-17-2006, 09:14 PM
A variety of Video Clips (http://www.3ddownloads.com/RPG/The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20IV:%20Oblivion/Movies;jsessionid=438516D0CA19168B89ACE4109A56FF97) including 30 second "countown" videos they're posting every day for a week before it hits stores.
Nice, checking out the 2 up there now, although slow to download. Thanks for the link!

keg in kc
03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
You can find other mirrors at http://elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_movies.htm

The one I gave has been the most reliable so far, but you might have different luck than I did.

unlurking
03-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Holy Crap!!!!!

That first video is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!

I don't think I have ever seen graphics that have put me in awe like that.

wow

KC Jones
03-19-2006, 06:10 AM
OK, I've been living under a rock or something and didn't know this was coming out until a week ago or so. I tried Morrowind but never got very far with it - it just wasn't my thing. However, after watching these videos I just have to pick this up. I hate the point, click, and wait combat systems of most RPGs. Spellcasters usually add some flavor, but it's still all die based. Adding an arcade action element to combat is the way to go. This should be sweet , and DAMN it looks nice. I'm not sure my 6600 GT will be able to run it in all its glory though.

Pants
03-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I read this game was a bit different from Morrowind and that it actually has a much better lienar story, so you don't feel lost right from the start. It's going to be awesome, but for me, WoW > all right now.

keg in kc
03-21-2006, 02:26 AM
1up gaming has uploaded a (fairly large) video of gameplay from the 360 version, looks amazing:

http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3140381

There's a few reviews starting to creep in, and everything I've seen so far has been good, in the 90-98/100 range.

UPS'll be delivering it to my door sometime today, and then I may never be seen from again.

TrickyNicky
03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Just got my copy today. My brother has been playing for a while now. He's still on the prologue. Good lord this is a long game...

keg in kc
03-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Yeah, it's long.

Took me more than an hour to get through the tutorial.

I love it so far.

Mr. Laz
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM
no such thing as a game being too long IF it's good.

Reaper16
03-22-2006, 09:08 PM
People who have it: is it improved gameplay-wise over Morrowind, or is it the same deal with better graphics and physics?

Count Zarth
03-22-2006, 09:13 PM
I never played any of the other Elder Scrolls crap, is that important?

Just finished downloading Oblivion a few hours ago.

keg in kc
03-22-2006, 09:41 PM
no such thing as a game being too long IF it's good.Yeah. Same with books, too.People who have it: is it improved gameplay-wise over Morrowind,It's similar but improved in a lot of ways I like. Melee combat isn't a click-fest now, you can press and hold the left (mouse) button to attack and press the right button to block. You can cast spells during melee now, instead of having to swap between melee and magic. I don't use bows, so I can't say much about them.

The stealth system has an icon that indicates when creatures have a chance of seeing you, and picking locks actually involves using lockpicks and tumblers, it's a little challenging.

I haven't gotten far into alchemy or into enchanting at all yet.

All in all, it's like morrowind (...) but a lot more fun so far. Same depth, beautiful world (on my shitty pc, even). I love the new inventory system although apparently a lot of people don't. Seems very intuitive to me, and handy.

Love it so far.

Count Zarth
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6086/screenshot75rc.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot75rc.jpg)

ZootedGranny
03-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I've never played any of the ES series, and I'm not that much of an RPG fan, but I picked this up for the 360 and it is incredible. I'm over 10 hours in and I have yet to even start the main quest.

Spicy McHaggis
03-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Been an Elder Scrolls fan since I was young and playing the massive and incredibly ambitious Daggerfall. Although the game was really buggy at times it got me hooked on the series. Unfortunately my friend hasn't brought his 360 back from spring break yet so I'm anxiously awaiting his return. Oblivion looks just amazing.

Count Zarth
03-24-2006, 10:30 PM
This guy needs to take a chill pill.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/2540/screenshot158jt.jpg

Valiant
03-25-2006, 01:38 AM
People who have it: is it improved gameplay-wise over Morrowind, or is it the same deal with better graphics and physics?

I ****ing hated morrowind, that it was garbaged compared to daggerfall.. Oblivion so far ****ing rocks... But drinking and going to the bar cut into my playing time...

ZootedGranny
03-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Two Oblivion stories I've told elsewhere:

-I was on my newly earned horse when I came across someone hunting deer.

I'm following him for a while, watching him hunt when out of the corner of my eye, I see a guy run full speed and whack this guy in the face with an axe. They start brawling, going back and forth for a few minutes until one guy dies.

I decide I have to go talk to this guy because he's so gully, standing around with 30 arrows sticking out of him.

As soon as I start to talk, he starts swinging. Just then, my horse comes out of nowhere and stomps him out, sending his body down a hill and into a ravine.

- Boourns to me trying to follow the guide.

I just spent an hour and a half trying to stay one step ahead of a traveling merchant so that I could poison his mead. But instead of poisoning his drink, I decided I'd just leave him no choice but to eat a poisoned apple, as the guide suggested I could.

I did this because the guide said taking him on in a straight battle would be suicide, as one hit from him would kill me instantly.

So I went to his house, stole every piece of food inside and locked it away in a crate in his basement. In his cupboard I placed the apple and waited. I even set a mountain of vases on a stairwell so that as soon as he made his way down, I'd know when he was coming.

Well, it turns out I actually went inside his house a couple of minutes after he had eaten.

So on I go to the next town's inn. I painstakingly knocked everything off of the tables, since I couldn't pick it up, as it'd be stealing.

I slept for 12 hours until he eventually showed up. He walks around, and sits at the table where I had placed my apple. Somehow, he starts eating something out of thin air, and neglects his death meal. This goes on for 3 more sleep cycles trying to wait him out.

Tired of waiting, I say **** it and bring out the very first mage staff I found in the game, during the journey through the prison.

He's sitting in a chair on a balcony eating when I blast this piece of shit dead in his face twice. The second blast knocks him off of his feet and over the railing. Immediately the guards came for me. I paid my 1,000 and walked away scot free.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah. Same with books, too
i agree 100% ........

it's pretty much to the point now that i won't even read most books unless i see that they have at least a trilogy already on the shelf.

1 book just isn't enough to get into the story/character line

Count Zarth
03-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Immediately the guards came for me. I paid my 1,000 and walked away scot free.

That's bullshit. Half the fun in the game is hightailing it out of there with the cops hot on your tail. :D

My absolute favorite thing to do is steal a bunch of shit in a city, get about 20 guards after me, and haul ass for the nearest exit. Then I steal a horse and jump over the fence with it. SO LONG, SUCKERS! :D

Of course now I have my own horsey and we're bestest buddies so I don't do that anymore. He's my partner in crime and he's the getaway horse! ROFL

Also, if you can, join the Dark Brothers Guild. It's awesome. My boss is a Vampire.

Count Zarth
03-25-2006, 12:58 PM
My horse is also the fastest in the game, at least according to the bitch who sold it to me. You can get one for 5,000 up in Cheydinhal.

ZootedGranny
03-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Also, if you can, join the Dark Brothers Guild. It's awesome. My boss is a Vampire.

Completing the Dark Brotherhood storyline is actually the first thing I did.

Count Zarth
03-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Completing the Dark Brotherhood storyline is actually the first thing I did.

A Dark Brother's story is never concluded, my friend. Our service of the Unholy Matron in the name of Sithis is FOREVER.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 11:25 AM
anyone figure out the secret to picking locks?

jiggling it around doesn't seem to do anything. I have just been using "auto pick" so far.

pretty soon the locks will probably get too hard to use "auto"

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 12:55 PM
i am the Mighty Puty Tat ...... hear me roar!!

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4139/picture0420vs.jpg

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Birthsigns

In Tamriel, persons born under certain constellations are said to be 'fortunate in their aspects'. Such persons are often blessed -- or cursed -- with remarkable abilities or weaknesses as a result of the magical conjunctions of celestial influences.

The Apprentice
The Apprentice ability confers a 100-point bonus to your Magicka attribute, but gives you a 100% Weakness to Magic.

The Atronach
With the Atronach ability you don't regain Magicka over time. Instead you have a 50% Spell Absorption to recharge your Magicka. Your base Magicka is also increased by 150 points.

The Lady
The Lady's Blessing confers bonuses of 10 points to your Willpower and Endurance attributes.

The Lord
Being born under the Lord gives you the Blood of the North lesser power to regenerate up to 90 points of Health. However, you also gain the Trollkin curse, a permanent 25% Weakness to Fire.

The Lover
Use the Lover's Kiss power once a day to paralyze an opponent for 10 seconds at the cost of 120 points of Fatigue.

The Mage
The Mage ability confers a permanent bonus of 50 points to your Magicka.

The Ritual
Those born under the Ritual use the Mara's Gift power once a day as a powerful Restore Health spell. The Blessed Word can turn the undead.

The Serpent
Gain the Serpent spell to cause a slow but potent poison on touch, while simultaneously curing yourself and dispelling magic on yourself. Casting this spell costs 100 points of Fatigue.

The Shadow
Use the Moonshadow power once a day to become Invisible for 60 seconds.

The Steed
The Steed ability grants a bonus of 20 to your Speed attribute.

The Thief
The Thief ability grants a 10-point bonus to your Agility, Speed, and Luck attributes.

The Tower
With the Tower Key power, once a day open a door or container of Average lock level or less. The Tower Warden reflects five points of damage for 120 seconds once a day.

The Warrior
The Warrior ability grants a bonus of 10 points to your Strength and Endurance attributes.

keg in kc
03-26-2006, 03:27 PM
anyone figure out the secret to picking locks?Little bit of a hassle.

Way it works is this: when you put the pick up into each tumbler, watch the speed that it goes up. If it goes up fast, it'll come down fast, and you'll break the pick. If it goes up slowly you'll get it. There's 3 speeds I've noticed so far, a fast, medium and a slow, only slow works. So you basically have to put the pick up into the tumbler over and over until you get the right speed. And then if it's an easy or advanced lock, you get to do it all over again.

I do it half by sound, too. Once you figure it out, you'll recognize the sound that the slowest one makes.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Little bit of a hassle.

Way it works is this: when you put the pick up into each tumbler, watch the speed that it goes up. If it goes up fast, it'll come down fast, and you'll break the pick. If it goes up slowly you'll get it. There's 3 speeds I've noticed so far, a fast, medium and a slow, only slow works. So you basically have to put the pick up into the tumbler over and over until you get the right speed. And then if it's an easy or advanced lock, you get to do it all over again.

I do it half by sound, too. Once you figure it out, you'll recognize the sound that the slowest one makes.
:hmmm: ok thanks... i'll keep that in mind

so far this reminds me of "Thief The Dark Project" a little ... only with a little magic thrown in.

wish they had the little "zoom shot" for archery like they did in Thief ... i was deadly with that thing. :)

Count Zarth
03-26-2006, 05:37 PM
anyone figure out the secret to picking locks?

jiggling it around doesn't seem to do anything. I have just been using "auto pick" so far.

pretty soon the locks will probably get too hard to use "auto"

I used auto pick until I learned lockpicking spells. :D

KC Jones
03-26-2006, 06:12 PM
I can't believe this game is out and you guys are so far along. My Wood Elf Assasin has been doing well so far (currently level 4), but once I hit someone with a sneak arrow and they live - I have trouble finishing them off with melee and spells. My one run in the arena was tough too - lucky for me I was fighting a norse chick and that fire bolt was doing some good damage. I suspect the difficulty will keep going up for non-fatal sneak shots. I should probably turn the graphics down a tad so I can aim a little quicker with the bow, but it's so damn beautiful I can't bring myself to do it.

keg in kc
03-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I used auto pick until I learned lockpicking spells.I'm a mage, I only use picks on the locks I don't have alteration skills for (i.e. average and above, takes 50+ skill, which I don't have yet).

Count Zarth
03-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I can't believe this game is out and you guys are so far along. My Wood Elf Assasin has been doing well so far (currently level 4), but once I hit someone with a sneak arrow and they live - I have trouble finishing them off with melee and spells. My one run in the arena was tough too - lucky for me I was fighting a norse chick and that fire bolt was doing some good damage. I suspect the difficulty will keep going up for non-fatal sneak shots. I should probably turn the graphics down a tad so I can aim a little quicker with the bow, but it's so damn beautiful I can't bring myself to do it.

Ha! I'm not that far. The game is HUGE. I read the strategy guide. It is HUGE. SO HUGE. I might not get bored for the next five years.

Count Zarth
03-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm a mage, I only use picks on the locks I don't have alteration skills for (i.e. average and above, takes 50+ skill, which I don't have yet).

Yeah, naturally I can only pick easy and really easy locks so far. I need to find the spells for average and above, BTW, do you know where they can be bought?

keg in kc
03-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, naturally I can only pick easy and really easy locks so far. I need to find the spells for average and above, BTW, do you know where they can be bought?I think I've seen average twice, the first time was out in the world in one of the mage guilds and I can't remember which one it was. I think it's also on the NPC in the Arcane University tower than you talk to for the mage guild questline, but he doesn't offer spells until you reach a certain rank IIRC.

I'm hunting vampires right now. Which is a challenge at level 3. It's kind of a "run away and hope the fireballs hit" approach.

Count Zarth
03-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I think I've seen average twice, the first time was out in the world in one of the mage guilds and I can't remember which one it was. I think it's also on the NPC in the Arcane University tower than you talk to for the mage guild questline, but he doesn't offer spells until you reach a certain rank IIRC.

I'm hunting vampires right now. Which is a challenge at level 3. It's kind of a "run away and hope the fireballs hit" approach.

I'm going to grind through all the mage reccomendation stuff tonight so I can become a student of Arcane University. I WANT TO BE HARRY POTTER!!!

keg in kc
03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
The mage guild quests have been pretty easy, up until this one. I'm starting it over, because I think I may have screwed it up by talking to an NPC too soon. At least I hope so, because unlike you DB types, I'm not particularly enamored with the idea of murdering people.

And you won't be harry potter, you'll be dumbledore, as quickly as you gain ranks. I think I'm already a Warlock, which is like 3rd or 4th highest rank.

KC Jones
03-26-2006, 08:01 PM
I made it to the bottom of a Dungeon and snuck up on a warrior. From the balcony overlooking his location I was able to unload nearly 30 arrows in him without him figuring out where I was. It hardly put a dent in him, but he looked pretty damn funny running around trying to find me with 30 arrows sticking out of his chest.

Bowser
03-28-2006, 10:06 AM
I just picked up Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on a whim for XBOX. What is the review of the game?

I'm usually more of a first person shooter gamer, than RPG. Am I going to be addicted to this, and run out to get Oblivion as soon as I can?

Mr. Laz
03-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I just picked up Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on a whim for XBOX. What is the review of the game?

I'm usually more of a first person shooter gamer, than RPG. Am I going to be addicted to this, and run out to get Oblivion as soon as I can?

if you're used to first person shooters then it's gonna be a shock to your system.

i hope you have lots of patience ... endless wandering gets old.

KcMizzou
03-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I bought this, and I guess my video card's not enough to handle it. I was doing fine until I got outside. I tried turning all the settings down... but it's still way too choppy to be playable. :(

Mr. Laz
03-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I bought this, and I guess my video card's not enough to handle it. I was doing fine until I got outside. I tried turning all the settings down... but it's still way too choppy to be playable. :(

maybe your Double-Wide just isn't providing enough power :)

Pants
03-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Damn, man you should have downloaded first to see whether your PC could handle it. It's OK, though, Ebay time. Add a 20% mark up as well. lol

KcMizzou
03-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Damn, man you should have downloaded first to see whether your PC could handle it. It's OK, though, Ebay time. Add a 20% mark up as well. lolI'll probably hang on to it. I've been needing an excuse to upgrade my card anyway.

And bite me Laz. :p

Mr. Laz
03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
And bite me Laz. :p
:D

just got ambushed by a stinkin' troll in this sewer room. He was waiting just inside the door ... must of hit me 2 or 3 times before i realized what the heck was happening.

Poor dead Puty tat :sulk:

David.
03-28-2006, 10:21 PM
I've got a 16 "paladin" type class. He can take a beating and heal himself forever. I haven't died in soo long.

This game's a blast.

David.
03-28-2006, 10:22 PM
the only thing wrong with the game is it gets a little choppy on my 360. :/ framerate issues.

Count Zarth
03-28-2006, 10:35 PM

There are lots of tweaks over at the official Oblivion forums.

For starters, change your max frames to render ahead to 0 instead of 3.

What is your hardware

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
little lost here.........

trying to build some kind of Battle-Mage hybrid guy

any character building guilds up yet... i hate flying blind when making a character.

do you just gain new spells automatically as you level up? or do you have to buy and learn them?

keg in kc
03-29-2006, 04:34 PM
You have to buy spells. A few you can learn as quest rewards, but 99% of the time you have to buy.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 04:54 PM
You have to buy spells. A few you can learn as quest rewards, but 99% of the time you have to buy.
so can you buy permanent spells? how?

buy it, read it and then you can use unlimited times

or

do you get 1 use per scroll

where do you buy these scrolls?

how to you learn them and not just use them?

no wonder my battle-mage is such a wuss, i'm still using the initial spells that came with my character.

ever try to a kill a pissed off zombie 5 fireball points at a time? yuck?

keg in kc
03-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh nooo, dude, find the mage guilds. You're not looking for scroll vendors, you're looking for spell vendors. They're divvied up by school at the various mages guild, like you can find Destruction spell vendors in the Skingrad branch. You also learn 3 or 4 free spells if you do the mage's guild questline.

My mage is only level 4 (I min-max, all his major skills are combat and he wears heavy armor to raise endurance), but he has 45 damage touch spells already...

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 05:39 PM
he has 45 damage touch spells already...
gawd i'm a wuss :sulk:

my max touch spell is that 10 pt electric touch i got automatically for my first levelup.

KcMizzou
03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, I'm the proud owner of a new Radeon X700 Pro 256mb PCIe card. The game looks amazing.

Count Zarth
03-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I have some badass spells but I can't use some of them. Not enough Magicka.

There's a ring you can get that will up your Magicka by 50 points.

Count Zarth
03-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, I'm the proud owner of a new Radeon X700 Pro 256mb PCIe card. The game looks amazing.

Make sure you turn on HDR

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 05:51 PM

hehe :clap:

nothing like a new game to make a guy breakout the checkbook ROFL

ZootedGranny
03-29-2006, 06:43 PM
I've been playing this constantly, but still haven't touched the main quest. I'm sure by the time I hit the main quest, I'll be wishing I had started earlier, considering everyone levels up with you.

For lockpicking, once you get to level 10, you can do a Shrine of Nocturne quest that'll result in earning an unbreakable lockpick.

KcMizzou
03-29-2006, 07:03 PM
hehe :clap:

nothing like a new game to make a guy breakout the checkbook ROFLHeh, aint that the truth.

Bowser
03-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, shit. You go to even take a loaf of bread and you get killed. I didn't know this was World of Gestapo.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, shit. You go to even take a loaf of bread and you get killed. I didn't know this was World of Gestapo.
they take their crime very seriously

you better have a main area exit close by or a horse cause your toast otherwise.

those darn store owners don't even need to see you steal it either... if they are in follow mode they can see through walls and floors ROFL

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
For lockpicking, once you get to level 10, you can do a Shrine of Nocturne quest that'll result in earning an unbreakable lockpick.

nice ... thanks for the info :)

KcMizzou
04-01-2006, 07:47 PM
I thought this was amusing. Regarding Oblivion's "radiant AI"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion

The following are examples of unexpected behavior discovered during early testing:
One character was given a rake and the goal "rake leaves"; another was given a broom and the goal "sweep paths," and this worked smoothly. Then they swapped the items, so that the raker was given a broom and the sweeper was given the rake. In the end, one of them killed the other so he could get the proper item. Another test had an on-duty NPC guard become hungry. The guard went into the forest to hunt for food. The other guards also left to arrest the truant guard, leaving the town unprotected. The villager NPCs then looted all of the shops, due to the lack of law enforcement. In another test a minotaur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur) was given a task of protecting a unicorn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn). However, the minotaur repeatedly tried to kill the unicorn because he was set to be an aggressive creature. In one Dark Brotherhood quest, the player can meet up with a shady merchant who sells skooma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skooma), an in-game drug. During testing, the NPC would be dead when the player got to him. The reason was that NPCs from the local skooma den were trying to get their fix, didn't have any money, and so were killing the merchant to get it. While testing to confirm that the physics models for a magical item known as the "Skull of Corruption," which creates an evil copy of the character/monster it is used on, were working properly, a tester dropped the item on the ground. An NPC immediately picked it up and used it on the player character, creating a copy of him that proceeded to kill every NPC in sight.

KC Jones
04-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm starting to regret taking the pre-made assassin class at this point. The sneak damage bonus doesn't seem to scale up very well, and some of my main skills I really don't care for or use, but the secondary's I'm using a lot. I made the mistake of buying some spells and I can't even get close to enough skill points in those magic types to use them.

Plus, I hate the fact that you have to get hit to increase your armor skill.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm starting to regret taking the pre-made assassin class at this point. The sneak damage bonus doesn't seem to scale up very well, and some of my main skills I really don't care for or use, but the secondary's I'm using a lot. I made the mistake of buying some spells and I can't even get close to enough skill points in those magic types to use them

Plus, I hate the fact that you have to get hit to increase your armor skill.

find a rat and just let him pound on you for an hour

you can boost your armor up without being in a life threatening situation.

run everywhere... jump all the time ... cast whaterever spells you have all the time for no apparent reason.

supposedly if you use your secondary skill more than your primary then you level up alot slower ......... but you also end up alot stronger because your primary skills get buffed up to the max in each level.

Mr. Laz
04-02-2006, 07:19 PM
can you join two Guilds and be active in Both?

Count Zarth
04-02-2006, 07:30 PM
can you join two Guilds and be active in Both?

Yes.

KC Jones
04-03-2006, 07:56 AM
find a rat and just let him pound on you for an hour

you can boost your armor up without being in a life threatening situation.

Well that works, but it's awfully lame. I don't wanna be a metagamer.

Mr. Laz
04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Well that works, but it's awfully lame. I don't wanna be a metagamer.
true ... i don't really play that way either.

although i do have my character set on "Run" all the time. i have to push a button to walk instead of the other way around.

got to the point where i can pick "very hard" locks now too... my security rating pretty much sucks ... but if you watch the pattern of the lock you can get it.

got the shaft by finding 3 "replica" weapons :cuss: :banghead:

tricky bastiges :mad:

KcMizzou
04-03-2006, 04:40 PM
although i do have my character set on "Run" all the time. i have to push a button to walk instead of the other way around.

I don't know how anyone plays any other way. Walking seems soooo slow.

Mr. Laz
04-03-2006, 05:15 PM
anyone found any specifics about the creatures you can summons.

life points,powers,attacks etc

i have accululated a few things on the web

some spoilers/cheats/hints etc

KC Jones
04-04-2006, 07:07 AM
I don't know how anyone plays any other way. Walking seems soooo slow.

Heaven forbid you're sneaking and walking.

KC Jones
04-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Well... the game is already getting kind of stale for me. I think I prefer the 'East Coast' style of RPG over 'West Coast'.

Mr. Laz
04-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Well... the game is already getting kind of stale for me. I think I prefer the 'East Coast' style of RPG over 'West Coast'.

it develops slow ... takes patience

it gets harder after level 10 ... and more fun when you start getting better stuff and more powers.

it helped me when i relaxed a bit ... and started traveling more and taking my time on the quests.

Count Zarth
04-07-2006, 06:41 PM

?

KC Jones
04-07-2006, 06:54 PM
?

Ah - goes back to the old RPGs with East and West coast development houses. West Coast = really open ended games where you could have more of an impact on your environment and be anything. East Coast was more story driven and linear, more like reading a page turner than playing whatever role you wanted.

KC Jones
04-07-2006, 06:57 PM
it develops slow ... takes patience

it gets harder after level 10 ... and more fun when you start getting better stuff and more powers.

it helped me when i relaxed a bit ... and started traveling more and taking my time on the quests.

Yeah, I'm 11th level now and I still haven't made it to that town out SW with the emperor's bastard. I've got some mithril armor and all, but the beefed up goblins I'm facing now are kicking ass. I can handle 2 of them, but if I somehow attract a crowd it gets nasty. the sneak damage bonus is practically worthless at this point, so I've been having to spend a lot more on Strength so I can go toe to toe for a while.

Count Zarth
04-07-2006, 06:58 PM
How is Oblivion not east coast? You don't have to follow the main storyline if you don't want to. You don't have to follow ANY quest storyline. You can just poke around in dungeons for hours if you want to.

KC Jones
04-07-2006, 07:06 PM
How is Oblivion not east coast? You don't have to follow the main storyline if you don't want to. You don't have to follow ANY quest storyline. You can just poke around in dungeons for hours if you want to.

That's what I mean, it's more of the west coast style - big and open ended.

Maybe if I take on the next step of the main quest I'll get back into it a little more.

jspchief
04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't know how anyone plays any other way. Walking seems soooo slow.I remember playing the very first Morrowind, I taped down the run key for overnight. The next day, my wife was like "wtf?"

Yea babe, you married a dork. But your dork now has level 65 run. :)

Count Zarth
04-08-2006, 04:35 AM
I remember playing the very first Morrowind, I taped down the run key for overnight. The next day, my wife was like "wtf?"

Yea babe, you married a dork. But your dork now has level 65 run. :)

I'm shocked. Here I thought jspchief was one of the popular types that dates cheerleaders.

BTW, I stuck a pencil in my keyboard to boost my sneak skill. :)

ZootedGranny
04-08-2006, 05:51 AM
I'm about 70 hours in, and I just started the main quest.

I'm a level 37 Breton Spellsword, and I've completed all of the guilds as well as the Arena and half of the Daedric missions...this game is ridiculous.

Mr. Laz
04-08-2006, 09:20 AM
That's what I mean, it's more of the west coast style - big and open ended.

Maybe if I take on the next step of the main quest I'll get back into it a little more.

have you started making your own spells ... enchanting your armor?

capturing souls in soul gems is a pretty neat twist too

fighting the little monster fish underwater is fun too

i rule the arena!! :D

KC Jones
04-08-2006, 11:00 AM
have you started making your own spells ... enchanting your armor?

capturing souls in soul gems is a pretty neat twist too

fighting the little monster fish underwater is fun too

i rule the arena!! :D

I'm an assasin, and I haven't spent much on the spellcasting areas of the game, other than having some skill in restoration so I can heal myself and in destruction (cause fireballs look cool). Probably the worst thing about the assasin is that early on the sneak damage bonus is deadly to just about everything you run into, but later it accounts for such a small portion of the enemies health that it's almost useless. The only benefit is when you're far enough away that you can tag something repeatedly with sneak bonus arrows before it figures out where you are.

I did the fish early on - I think I'm level 16 or 17 now.

unlurking
04-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Man, I have to get this game. Unfortunately, I have to find time to play it before I buy it (otherwise I'll get nothing done). :(

Mr. Laz
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm an assasin, and I haven't spent much on the spellcasting areas of the game, other than having some skill in restoration so I can heal myself and in destruction (cause fireballs look cool). Probably the worst thing about the assasin is that early on the sneak damage bonus is deadly to just about everything you run into, but later it accounts for such a small portion of the enemies health that it's almost useless. The only benefit is when you're far enough away that you can tag something repeatedly with sneak bonus arrows before it figures out where you are.

I did the fish early on - I think I'm level 16 or 17 now.
until this point, the fighting part has been pretty easy

Dang ... then i did this cave down by lewewyn :eek:

electric spewing and conjuring mage spiders, half alligator/half troll and all of them 2/3 times my size and relentless.

beating the crap out me :cuss:

unlurking
04-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Man, just got the game finally! So far it's a blast. Died in the tower through the Oblivion gate in Kvatch, calling it a night. Fun couple of hours though. Need to figure out some better health regen though, getting peppered.

KC Jones
04-20-2006, 07:40 AM
until this point, the fighting part has been pretty easy

Dang ... then i did this cave down by lewewyn :eek:

electric spewing and conjuring mage spiders, half alligator/half troll and all of them 2/3 times my size and relentless.

beating the crap out me :cuss:

I had some trouble several levels back with a cave of necromancers I ran into. They ran around so fast I had trouble hitting them with arrows, the whole time they kept healing themselvs and conjuring up more melee fighters. That was the first crawl where I really had to use a lot of my potions and poisons. Other than that everything has been pretty easy since I found a ring of chameleon and became a vampire. I can hide right in front of most creatures and wail away with arrows while they try to find me.

I've yet to make it to Kvatch - I suppose I really should get back to the main quest at some point.

Talisman
04-20-2006, 11:04 AM
I just grab this a couple days ago. Very addictive. Where can I find one of the guilds to join?

Mr. Laz
04-20-2006, 11:11 AM
I just grab this a couple days ago. Very addictive. Where can I find one of the guilds to join?

they have mage and fighter guilds in each of the major cities

~~~~~~~~~~~~~spoiler warning~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you can also join the underground thieves guild and dark brotherhood by doing some stuff

killing an innocent gets you into the dark brotherhood

stealing and getting thrown in jail gets you into the thieves guild

Talisman
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
they have mage and fighter guilds in each of the major cities[/I][/SIZE]
Do you lose all of your items when you are thrown in jail?

Mr. Laz
04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Do you lose all of your items when you are thrown in jail?
they take them ... but then give them back

if you're worried about it ... just stash your stuff before getting arrested then go back for them

you can buy a house for 2000 bucks in imperial city

oh ya... you can also join the arena in imperial city(a guild of sorts) then you can fight you way up the rankings and make money. If you become champion you can make pretty good money by doing exhibition fights weekly. (its like 2,500 gold per fight if you do the hardest one)

Talisman
04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
they take them ... but then give them back

if you're worried about it ... just stash your stuff before getting arrested then go back for them

you can buy a house for 2000 bucks in imperial city

oh ya... you can also join the arena in imperial city(a guild of sorts) then you can fight you way up the rankings and make money. If you become champion you can make pretty good money by doing exhibition fights weekly. (its like 2,500 gold per fight if you do the hardest one)
I've beaten two fighters in the Arena so far. I can't wait to get off work tonight to keep playing this game. I have a feeling my wife is going to start getting ticked.

Do the Oblivion forums have links to divorce attorneys?

Mr. Laz
04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Do the Oblivion forums have links to divorce attorneys?
ROFL

have you been biten by a vampire yet?

htismaqe
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I can't wait to play this game.

Count Zarth
04-20-2006, 02:16 PM

You can join the thieves guild, too.

At midnight, talk to the dude with the torch in the little enclosed garden area at the Imperial Waterfront (among the shacks). You might have to talk to a beggar first.

Talisman
04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
ROFL

have you been biten by a vampire yet?
No, I haven't yet. I've mainly just been down into a cave near where you come out of the sewers and have been hitting the shops in Imperial City selling my phat loot. Then I wandered over to the Arena and beat on a couple of contenders. Can you bet on yourself before you fight?

Mr. Laz
04-20-2006, 05:40 PM
No, I haven't yet. I've mainly just been down into a cave near where you come out of the sewers and have been hitting the shops in Imperial City selling my phat loot. Then I wandered over to the Arena and beat on a couple of contenders. Can you bet on yourself before you fight?

no ... in fact i don't believe you can bet at all while your an arena fighter. But could be wrong about that.

wait until they portal you to the "hell realm" and you have to fight big fat witch spiders and fire golems. :D

Mr. Laz
04-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Luv my Puppy!!

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5784/obliv10b0yh.jpg

unlurking
04-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I can't wait to play this game.
You got the 360 version right?

If so, just make sure to clear your cache on a regular basis, or the menu system will be so slow you'll be pissed at the game. Boot the 360 with the game in the tray (will autostart), and hold down the A button until you see the Bethesda Softworks screen. This game does a huge amount of caching to your HDD.

htismaqe
04-28-2006, 08:20 AM
You got the 360 version right?

If so, just make sure to clear your cache on a regular basis, or the menu system will be so slow you'll be pissed at the game. Boot the 360 with the game in the tray (will autostart), and hold down the A button until you see the Bethesda Softworks screen. This game does a huge amount of caching to your HDD.

Wow, that's interesting.

Thanks for the heads up.