PDA

View Full Version : New Car Advice needed

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm probably going to buy a new mustang soon. I'll be getting all the options since this is likely a once in a lifetime deal for me. With all the options it will be around $32,000. I've never purchased a NEW vehicle before so I don't know how much they'll actually come down on price. What can I expect to pay for a car listed at $32,000?

recxjake
03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm probably going to buy a new mustang soon. I'll be getting all the options since this is likely a once in a lifetime deal for me. With all the options it will be around $32,000. I've never purchased a NEW vehicle before so I don't know how much they'll actually come down on price. What can I expect to pay for a car listed at $32,000?

the markup is usually around 15-18%.... you can maybe get a little bit off, but with a hit car like the mustang i would expect much... i would also wait as long as possible to get it... Nov/Dec is the best time to buy a new car because they are getting rid of inventory for the next year and there will be great deals out there... atleast wait untill this summer...

If you can wait until this time next year I would wait for the brand new Chevy Camaro...

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-14-2006, 07:14 PM
the markup is usually around 15-18%.... you can maybe get a little bit off, but with a hit car like the mustang i would expect much... i would also wait as long as possible to get it... Nov/Dec is the best time to buy a new car because they are getting rid of inventory for the next year and there will be great deals out there... atleast wait untill this summer...

If you can wait until this time next year I would wait for the brand new Chevy Camaro...
I would love to have a camaro but I heard they wouldn't be out for a couple years. Also, I wonder if the camaros will be in the 25-35K range.

HemiEd
03-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Frazod and BigredChief have bought new Mustangs. I would listen to what they have to say.

UteChief
03-14-2006, 07:19 PM
If you want to do a little research go to www.edmunds.com. You can build the car you want and they provide the invoice, msrp and what people in your area are paying. I don't believe in paying more than a couple hundred dollars over invoice. Check with your employer a lot of people qualify for a purchase plan with Ford and not to many people know about it. Also watch out for the fees. You should only pay what is required by law. Anything else is just more money in the dealers pocket. Such as any advertising fees or documentation fee.

MIAdragon
03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
I picked up an 05GT loaded with 8K miles and around 6K in extras for 24,500. The car is great enjoy it.

recxjake
03-14-2006, 07:41 PM
I would love to have a camaro but I heard they wouldn't be out for a couple years. Also, I wonder if the camaros will be in the 25-35K range.

Well the big "secret" is that they will be out next summer... starting around the low 20's to around 40 with the vette engine...

Threres also going to be a new Chevy "stingray" based on the same platform as the pontiac solstice... new impala based of the 67... so retro... also a new GTO or Firebird based on the Camaro platform coming out soon too!!!

But the new stangs are aweomse... heck almost any job gets atleast a "supplier discount"... i work at lowes and I get it! and im just a college student! good luck

UteChief
03-14-2006, 07:45 PM
And what are your resources for these new GM machines. No offense but I'm callin bs.

Lurch
03-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Find out what the dealer invoice is and deal up from there, not down from sticker price. Consumer Reports magazine has a service if you can't find it on your own.

recxjake
03-14-2006, 08:11 PM
And what are your resources for these new GM machines. No offense but I'm callin bs.

look at my sig... www.gminsidenews.com

My dad works form them also... im not an expert... but these are the rumors swirling around detroit

UteChief
03-14-2006, 08:15 PM
look at my sig... www.gminsidenews.com

My dad works form them also... im not an expert... but these are the rumors swirling around detroit

I have heard the rumors on the Camaro and new Pontiac. But I haven't heard anything about the stingray or 67 Impala design. What have you heard about the motor in the Camaro the LS2 or hopefully the LS7.

recxjake
03-14-2006, 08:20 PM
I have heard the rumors on the Camaro and new Pontiac. But I haven't heard anything about the stingray or 67 Impala design. What have you heard about the motor in the Camaro the LS2 or hopefully the LS7.

the impala is a new rumor... going to go retro..... I think this could be very bad since the impala is the only gm car that actually sells large volume! I guess GM is going to go w/ RWD w/ the new generation of large cars... Grand Prix will be G8... Buick will get one, along w/ Chevy... I'm not sure what they are going to call it....

ive just been reading that the stingray is an option and wouldn't be that hard to do w/ the solstice frame... Chevy dealers are asking for it... they have nothing in the segment

I havent heard anything about the Camaro engine except what was released w/ the concept

The Pontiac version is leaning towards being called the GTO

SBK
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM

If you're gonna spend 30 grand on a car, make a good decision and buy a new BMW 325.

Not only is it 100x the car the Mustang is, you get 50,000 miles where all you pay for is gas. BMW covers all the routine crap like oil changes and wiper blades for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

The car drives like a dream and for 30 grand you can get a large amount of options. You will also get a good discount as well, typically 4-5 grand off the price.

recxjake
03-14-2006, 08:38 PM
If you're gonna spend 30 grand on a car, make a good decision and buy a new BMW 325.

Not only is it 100x the car the Mustang is, you get 50,000 miles where all you pay for is gas. BMW covers all the routine crap like oil changes and wiper blades for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

The car drives like a dream and for 30 grand you can get a large amount of options. You will also get a good discount as well, typically 4-5 grand off the price.

nah... saab 9-5... they pay for all the crap like oil changes too

morphius
03-14-2006, 08:44 PM
IA - I don't think they are doing much of a mark down on the Mustangs yet, still hot enough that I don't think they are having trouble selling them with the mark up. You are probably even more screwed if you order it.

Good luck (go gun metal with black stripes, damn sharpest new mustang I have seen)

SBK
03-14-2006, 08:47 PM
nah... saab 9-5... they pay for all the crap like oil changes too

There's a reason nobody buys a Saab you know...... ROFL

recxjake
03-14-2006, 08:50 PM

ahh... plenty of people buy saab... i believe they up 7 to 8% already this year!

morphius
03-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I've always thought that saab's were ugly enough to make a person cry.

recxjake
03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I've always thought that saab's were ugly enough to make a person cry.

saabs were born from jets!

ChiefsLV
03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Not to burst your GM bubble or anything but I own a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix that has been an absolute peice of shit. I've had it in two separate times for the steering parts going bad/coming lose. Now there is something loose in the front suspension. Not to mention the various other problems I've had with loose interior parts that rattle, like the passenger side window, and the headlights that they secured with plastic brackets instead of metal, causing them to bounce all over the place. I knew better than to buy the car (from previous GM experience) but the Jap cars didn't feel comfortable and the Grand Prix is a nice looking car. At least this crap is all under warranty, but it still doesnt get the time back for the ten times I've been in the dealer for repairs.

It's definitely my last GM.

Skip Towne
03-14-2006, 09:22 PM
saabs were born from jets!
The first Saabs I ever saw had two cycle engines. Yeah, you had to add oil to the gas you put in it. I'll bet that was real handy.

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I found a FULLY loaded new 2005 that I can get for 3300 under MSRP or a 2006 with absolutely everything but side airbags for 1500 under MSRP. The 05 is windveil blue and the 06 is black. Now I have to decide. I don't really like the blue but could get the black stripes painted on it.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/
If you go to the link be sure to look at the GT Premium.
What do you think???

ChiefButthurt
03-19-2006, 09:10 PM
I found a FULLY loaded new 2005 that I can get for 3300 under MSRP or a 2006 with absolutely everything but side airbags for 1500 under MSRP. The 05 is windveil blue and the 06 is black. Now I have to decide. I don't really like the blue but could get the black stripes painted on it.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/
If you go to the link be sure to look at the GT Premium.
What do you think???

I think the Mustangs are hot right now. If you don't like the blue...DON'T even consider it. You're paying way too much money to comprimise on the car. If you have to ask us, you're probably second guessing yourself. Take your time, do yourself a favor and do more research. Patience son.....

Demonpenz
03-19-2006, 11:53 PM
i like the mustangs that are black with gold trim.

Inspector
03-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Have you considered just going with the mini van option?

You can get stripes painted on them.

They cost less and are bigger.

IA_Chiefs_fan
03-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Have you considered just going with the mini van option?

You can get stripes painted on them.

They cost less and are bigger.
I decided not to go this route once I found out they do not come from the factory with flames on the side.

jspchief
03-20-2006, 07:05 AM
If you're going to waste money on a Ford, you might as well do it right.

Amnorix
03-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Here's page 1 of a 7 page set of articles on how to buy a new car and avoid getting ripped off. It's funny and informative, but it is a long read.

I **STRONGLY** recommend you read it so you understand all the ways dealers can screw you.

A few general tips for you:

1. buy towards the end of the month (whatever month you're talking about) if you can. Not that you'll get a steal, but the dealers are always looking to close out a month strong.

2. If you're financing, try to get financing from your bank or a credit union lined up in advance. Dealer loans are usually at worse rates.

3. If you're doing a trade in, be sure to negotiate it separately. Negotiate the price of the car you're buying, and THEN deal with the trade in.

4. Often, the salesperson will be asking you questions that are irrelevant. "How much a month are you looking to spend". That's not the question. The question is how much is the car. THEN you figure out your monthly from there.

RESEARCH what you are doing and how you will do it before you walk into the dealership. Don't be a "lay down" for them. Cars are usually the second most valuable thing people buy, and yet they nearly always go to the dealership, clueless, hat in hand, hoping the dealer will treat them fairly. And often, that ain't how it works out.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I love my Mustang. I've had it for just over a year now.

However, if you're purchasing a car that will be your sole means of transportation, keep in mind a couple of things:

1. This car SUCKS on snow and/or ice. Let me say that again - SUCKS. SUCKS LARGE. It isn't exactly great on wet surfaces, either. This is a light, rear wheel drive car with lots of power (and I only have the V6 - the V8 would be even worse).

2. The backseat is basically useless unless you plan on hauling around legless midgets.

3. Not much in the of truck space, either. And if you get one with the subwoofer in the trunk, there goes a 1/4 of the limited space right there.

This car is cool, and fun, and fast. It is NOT terribly functional for general purposes. Just keep the limitations in mind.

Brock
03-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Here's page 1 of a 7 page set of articles on how to buy a new car and avoid getting ripped off. It's funny and informative, but it is a long read.

I **STRONGLY** recommend you read it so you understand all the ways dealers can screw you.

1. buy towards the end of the month (whatever month you're talking about) if you can. Not that you'll get a steal, but the dealers are always looking to close out a month strong.

2. If you're financing, try to get financing from your bank or a credit union lined up in advance. Dealer loans are usually at worse rates.

3. If you're doing a trade in, be sure to negotiate it separately. Negotiate the price of the car you're buying, and THEN deal with the trade in.

4. Often, the salesperson will be asking you questions that are irrelevant. "How much a month are you looking to spend". That's not the question. The question is how much is the car. THEN you figure out your monthly from there.

RESEARCH what you are doing and how you will do it before you walk into the dealership. Don't be a "lay down" for them. Cars are usually the second most valuable thing people buy, and yet they nearly always go to the dealership, clueless, hat in hand, hoping the dealer will treat them fairly. And often, that ain't how it works out.

5. Put on your asshole hat and treat that salesperson and their manager like shit. They deserve it. Remember, they hate you and they're trying to eff you.

Cave Johnson
03-20-2006, 09:00 AM

Good luck trying to bring IA Chiefs Fan around on this. You could fit the number of consumers deciding between the Mustang and a 3-series in an elevator.

$32K offers a ton of nice options on cars. IA, have you ever considered the Infiniti G35? Or are you looking at domestic only?

sedated
03-20-2006, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't buy any car not from Japan or Germany

Cochise
03-20-2006, 09:08 AM

I have only had the distinct displeasure of buying 1 new vehicle so far, but that selling price/interest rate/monthly payment shell game really pissed me off.

I mean, did they think I was stupid because I was a 20 year old kid in there trying to buy a new car? Or does it just work on everyone so it's S.O.P.? Do people think you can just name your monthly payment and they won't be taking the money back in some other part of the deal? It's insulting.

I read on some carbuying website that a lot of people are buying cars through websites like carsdirect.com - apparently, you just pick the options you want and it shows you a price that seems to be really competitive, and they find a dealer who will sell the car for that price and ship it to you. Might be something worth looking into- it would be worth a few extra bucks not to deal with salespeople, even if it wasn't cheaper.

thebrad84
03-20-2006, 09:21 AM

However, if you're purchasing a car that will be your sole means of transportation, keep in mind a couple of things:

1. This car SUCKS on snow and/or ice. Let me say that again - SUCKS. SUCKS LARGE. It isn't exactly great on wet surfaces, either. This is a light, rear wheel drive car with lots of power (and I only have the V6 - the V8 would be even worse).

2. The backseat is basically useless unless you plan on hauling around legless midgets.

3. Not much in the of truck space, either. And if you get one with the subwoofer in the trunk, there goes a 1/4 of the limited space right there.

This car is cool, and fun, and fast. It is NOT terribly functional for general purposes. Just keep the limitations in mind.

You aren't kidding about the horrible traction. I had a '02 v6 camaro for a couple of years and pretty much hated everything about it. Not only did I have to have several things fixed on it (drivers and passenger side windows, a/c fan, lateral wheel runout (wtf that means i'm still not sure), etc.), but the thing absolutely sucked ahole on snow/ice (I would not drive it on snow days) and was almost as bad on just plain wet roads. I damn near killed myself on the highway in that thing while trying to pass a semi during a summer downpour. I didn't lose it, but I came very very close, and to this day have no idea how I managed to keep it relatively straight. After that day I said I was through with that POS and looked for a new car. You'd have to pay me to drive a rear-wheel drive car again.

Cochise
03-20-2006, 09:30 AM
If you have 32K to spend, you could get a lot of great cars with excellent all-around performance. That's the right price point for a load of European or Japanese performance sedans with ample power, handling, interior refinement, etc. There are even a few with all-wheel drive in that price range if wet and snow performance is a concern.

It seems like it's tough anymore to get much car for under 20k new, but at about 30k you can get something really nice.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
You aren't kidding about the horrible traction. I had a '02 v6 camaro for a couple of years and pretty much hated everything about it. Not only did I have to have several things fixed on it (drivers and passenger side windows, a/c fan, lateral wheel runout (wtf that means i'm still not sure), etc.), but the thing absolutely sucked ahole on snow/ice (I would not drive it on snow days) and was almost as bad on just plain wet roads. I damn near killed myself on the highway in that thing while trying to pass a semi during a summer downpour. I didn't lose it, but I came very very close, and to this day have no idea how I managed to keep it relatively straight. After that day I said I was through with that POS and looked for a new car. You'd have to pay me to drive a rear-wheel drive car again.

Sounds like you really hated your car - I like mine, unless its snowing. Basically I have a great nice weather/weekend toy car that I have to use every day because I can't afford two vehicles. Not the smartest purchase I ever made - but still, I love the car anyway. I guess it's like being married to a gorgeous stripper who can't cook. You can't have everything. :D

Archie F. Swin
03-20-2006, 10:51 AM
32k on a Mustang? Hell, may as well get a 'vette.

King_Chief_Fan
03-20-2006, 10:52 AM
As you can tell by my avatar, I have a black 05 Premium coupe.
It has every option that can be had... all the trim, gadgets, sound system and red leather. I really love this car. I ordered it in March last year and got it in June of last year. Ordering your own with exactly what you want is the only way to go. If you can't find what you want, order it. Don't settle othewise.
Last year there was no dealing. I got mine through an x plan.
I would guess by now that some discounts can be had since I see a pot load of them on dealers lots. Wasn't the case last year.

King_Chief_Fan
03-20-2006, 10:57 AM

I would agree on all your points. With this car you have to have at least 2 cars...I have to have 3. One is the wife's,(she doesn't like me driving hers, the mustang is mine (I don't want the wife driving mine)and a beater for the inclimate weather.
But the Mustang is the most fun car I have had.

thebrad84
03-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Sounds like you really hated your car - I like mine, unless its snowing. Basically I have a great nice weather/weekend toy car that I have to use every day because I can't afford two vehicles. Not the smartest purchase I ever made - but still, I love the car anyway. I guess it's like being married to a gorgeous stripper who can't cook. You can't have everything. :D

Hahaha...well, I was really excited when I got it, and yes, I liked it when it was warm and dry. But anytime it rained I got a bit nervous and I never drove it when there was any chance of snow. So, what, about a 1/4 of the time I hated it for weather reason, and add on another 1/4 of the time it had something go wrong/it was in the shop to get fixed, i'd say i loved it 1/2 of the time and hated it 1/2 of the time. Like I said, that day I almost lost it on the highway going 65, I was done with that car. IMO, there is absolutely no reason you should fear for your life when driving in the rain.

Rain Man
03-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Good luck trying to bring IA Chiefs Fan around on this. You could fit the number of consumers deciding between the Mustang and a 3-series in an elevator.

$32K offers a ton of nice options on cars. IA, have you ever considered the Infiniti G35? Or are you looking at domestic only?

I must say, I like the look of the G35 coupe. The sedan is ...eh... but the couple is pretty cool looking.

Of course, for about the same price one can go with either a BMW Z4 and get a cool convertible, or for less one can get a Chrysler Crossfire, which I think is a really cool-looking vehicle. I like the Crossfire coupe's look better than that of their convertible, though.

The odd thing about the Crossfire is that (a while back when I was just poking around looking at them), their base price included only one option. You couldn't pick the color of the vehicle, and I don't think you could even pick other options. If you wanted anything other than the base color (black, I think - I don't remember), you had to get the upgraded version that cost quite a bit more. I thought it was an interesting way to advertise a low base cost, knowing that 80 percent of buyers will immediately have to upgrade.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I would agree on all your points. With this car you have to have at least 2 cars...I have to have 3. One is the wife's,(she doesn't like me driving hers, the mustang is mine (I don't want the wife driving mine)and a beater for the inclimate weather.
But the Mustang is the most fun car I have had.

Yeah, it is what it is.

The first morning I drove the Mustang on snow was a trip down memory lane I could have done without - I hadn't driven a RWD car in over 15 years, and that was an '85 Cutlass Supreme, which was much larger and heavier. I had no weight in the trunk and about a 1/4 tank of gas, and fishtailed several times going down the street until I got the hang of it.

Now, if I know there's a possibility of serious snow, I make sure the gas tank is full and load an extra 150 pounds of cat litter in the trunk - that certainly makes it better. Of course, I don't have to drive all the way to work - I drive about a mile and then take a train into Chicago. That makes it better, too.

But having this car certainly curtails non-essential driving in shitty weather. Wish I had some sort of truck for the bad days, but another vehicle just isn't in the budget.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Hahaha...well, I was really excited when I got it, and yes, I liked it when it was warm and dry. But anytime it rained I got a bit nervous and I never drove it when there was any chance of snow. So, what, about a 1/4 of the time I hated it for weather reason, and add on another 1/4 of the time it had something go wrong/it was in the shop to get fixed, i'd say i loved it 1/2 of the time and hated it 1/2 of the time. Like I said, that day I almost lost it on the highway going 65, I was done with that car. IMO, there is absolutely no reason you should fear for your life when driving in the rain.

Glad I never got a Camaro. Sounds like you didn't have a particularly good one, either.

SBK
03-20-2006, 12:57 PM

I'm sure that every person that drove a 3 series and a Mustang picked the BMW. That decision would be easier than marrying the girl with herpes on her penis or some hot chick you see in a magazine.

Seriously though, I drove a G35 coupe, 6MT and everything, and it's a bad car, but it's no 3 series. The control in a BMW is un-freakin-believable.

Cave Johnson
03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I must say, I like the look of the G35 coupe. The sedan is ...eh... but the couple is pretty cool looking.

Of course, for about the same price one can go with either a BMW Z4 and get a cool convertible, or for less one can get a Chrysler Crossfire, which I think is a really cool-looking vehicle. I like the Crossfire coupe's look better than that of their convertible, though.

The odd thing about the Crossfire is that (a while back when I was just poking around looking at them), their base price included only one option. You couldn't pick the color of the vehicle, and I don't think you could even pick other options. If you wanted anything other than the base color (black, I think - I don't remember), you had to get the upgraded version that cost quite a bit more. I thought it was an interesting way to advertise a low base cost, knowing that 80 percent of buyers will immediately have to upgrade.

Disclaimer: I haven't driven the G35 coupe, just test drove one with my dad and rode in my friends a few times. He knows better not to let me test drive it, as he's been with me when I had my V6 Accord coupe up to 120 on the interstate. That said, it's probably the best balance of performance and value of coupe at that price point. I think they're available with 3% financing also.

Buying a Mustang to me is just silly. Repair costs and excess depreciation make them much more expensive than a similar German or Japanese car. Check out the sky high 5 year ownership costs at this link. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pricing.aspx?year=2005&make=Chrysler&model=Crossfire&trimid=-1

Cave Johnson
03-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm sure that every person that drove a 3 series and a Mustang picked the BMW. That decision would be easier than marrying the girl with herpes on her penis or some hot chick you see in a magazine.

Seriously though, I drove a G35 coupe, 6MT and everything, and it's a bad car, but it's no 3 series. The control in a BMW is un-freakin-believable.

I'll take the hot chick in the magazine, thank you. Funny you make that analogy. I'm going out with my psych. PhD ex girlfriend with knobby elbows on Wednesday and a 6' former model for Dolce on Thursday. Guess which one I'm hoping works out.

At $32K, you're trading off a substantial amount of top end speed with the 325 vs. the G35. Something like 100 less HP. I'd personally go with the 325, considering how little I'd actually get to use that extra speed.

SBK
03-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll take the hot chick in the magazine, thank you. Funny you make that analogy. I'm going out with my psych. PhD ex girlfriend with knobby elbows on Wednesday and a 6' former model for Dolce on Thursday. Guess which one I'm hoping works out.

At $32K, you're trading off a substantial amount of top end speed with the 325 vs. the G35. Something like 100 less HP. I'd personally go with the 325, considering how little I'd actually get to use that extra speed.

With the 325 you get perfect steering, perfect handling, perfect brakes and very little wind noise. It took me several weeks to get used to how well the car was balanced, handled and how smooth it was. Cars with good handling are supposed to be rough.....

The G35 was fast, but it was rough and noisy. The interior wasn't nearly as nice either. Then there's the whole thing about 4 year 50,000 miles of not paying for anything....

I got a 2005 though, they redesigned it and I've heard the new one is way better than the old one. There was a review that called the new 330 the perfect sport sedan. Not a bad review.

Frazod
03-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Buying a Mustang to me is just silly. Repair costs and excess depreciation make them much more expensive than a similar German or Japanese car. Check out the sky high 5 year ownership costs at this link. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pricing.aspx?year=2005&make=Chrysler&model=Crossfire&trimid=-1
According to the site you linked: The new Mustang is rated 9 out of 10 by the MSN experts and 9.4 out of 10 by Mustang owners. There is no reliability data available because the car was a complete redesign.

:shake:

SBK
03-20-2006, 01:54 PM
According to the site you linked: The new Mustang is rated 9 out of 10 by the MSN experts and 9.4 out of 10 by Mustang owners. There is no reliability data available because the car was a complete redesign.

:shake:

Top gov't sources have indicated that due to the blue oval on the front of the car no testing is needed. Reliablity sucks.

ROFL

King_Chief_Fan
03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Disclaimer: I haven't driven the G35 coupe, just test drove one with my dad and rode in my friends a few times. He knows better not to let me test drive it, as he's been with me when I had my V6 Accord coupe up to 120 on the interstate. That said, it's probably the best balance of performance and value of coupe at that price point. I think they're available with 3% financing also.

I bought it due to its retro styling and the fact it is supposed to be the best Mustang ever. You have to be an older putz like myself to say the heck with all that jibber jabber about european this that and the other. It is american muscle baby and that is what we want.

To each his own said the lady that kissed the cow.

andoman
03-20-2006, 04:48 PM

Sometimes you can get a rebate or cash back if you finance with the dealer. Then you can turn around a pay it off with another loan! ROFL

htismaqe
03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
You should buy a GM. Best cars in the world, hands down.

foxman
03-20-2006, 05:15 PM

True most dealers are trying to close on a high note, but dealers also like to get off to a good start.

This is rediculous and total B.S. Dealers do provide the service and sure they do it to make money, otherwise they wouldnt be called so and so motors they would be called the United Way. Profit is not a dirty word people Jeebus would think that paying a profit was somehow illegal. What you don't think the bank is making money or the credit union? Grow up. Now, I do agree it's a good idea to know what your bank or credit Union is offering so you know when the Finance Manger tells you what he can offer whether it's reasonable or not. Dealers get better bank rates then you can get because of vollume. Credit Unions are a differant breed all together, but don't mistake there rates for not making a profit. Odviously if they have the lowest rate then it might be to your benefit though so find out but don't commit until you know what the dealer can do. Some dealers are signed up through credit unions to be able to offer those same rates without the hassle of making a seperate trip.

This is not bad advise, but be prepared to feel like you have been rapped. The trade is worth the same regardless of whether you negotiate or not up front. The used car manager is good for a bump in most cases unless he missed the car altogether for a couple of hundred in most cases. Trade differance is what you need to focus on if you don't negotiate up front.

Not true. Most buyers are payment buyers and because of that the salesman doesnt want to sell you a car that will yeild a $500 payment if you can only afford $300. Sure if you are not a payment buy then you need to get him off of what payment you want.

Research is very important. Dealers might not be able to make as much profit on an informed buyer, but the informed buyer is sometimes the easier sale because it cuts through some of the process.

BiStateNo
03-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Before you buy the Mustang (I Love 'em!) you might check this out:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

Pretty sexy.....

Frazod
03-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Before you buy the Mustang (I Love 'em!) you might check this out:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

Pretty sexy.....

Agreed. The Challenger concept is, quite simply, magnificent. I saw it at the Chicago auto show last month. Bigger, badder and closer in styling to the original than the new Mustang. The perfect retro car. Absolutely love it.

But I simply can't imagine it being in the same ballpark price-wise as the Mustang. IMO, it will cost substantially more.

But maybe it won't. The Dodge people don't consult with me. :D

redbrian
03-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Say what you will about the big 3 and all the problems they brought on themselves.

But with out a doubt they are rolling out some of the best looking stuff around.

The stuff from the east is about as stylish as your grandma’s slippers, for the most part they all are shapeless and look the same.

The new Chrysler luxury model with the Northstar V-8 is a very nice.

foxman
03-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Bump so Amnorix can rebut my claims that his post was borderline idiotic.