PDA

View Full Version : Wow, wow, wow!

Ceej
03-15-2006, 01:17 AM
I play poker online at Full Tilt.

Recently I just put 80 bucks online to mess around with. I tried one of their 2-table SNGs and the final 4 got a token good for any 24+2 guarantee tournament.

SO, I decided to play the 24+2 17k guaranteed tournament tonight. I'm not a great tourney player by any means. But, I managed to take 3rd out of 796 people for a cool $2,140.

I'm still tingling and covered in goosebumps. I hope I can get some sleep and make it to class in the morning.

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Awesome dude. Congrats..the most I've ever won on a poker site is $25....congrats again.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Congratulations.

I highly recommend a membership (or two) at Warpaint Illustrated and I'd also like to send a shoutout to some of my friends on this thread.

Hello Jeff, Gregg, Frank, and everybody I've forgotten. You guys are the best.

Ceej
03-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Thread hi-jacker! :)

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 01:24 AM
I play poker on ultimate bet religiously.

I don't play much NL anymore, though it probably is my strong game.

You can find me at the 10/20 limit tables 5 days a week though. Lots of good money over there.

Poker Stars is a decent site, definitely not my favorite.

Dunit35
Congratulations.

I highly recommend a membership (or two) at Warpaint Illustrated and I'd also like to send a shoutout to some of my friends on this thread.

haha..This is the first comment I have made about you and WPI...but I personally think it is funny that you do this.

Rausch

I'm not paying now...

Phobia
03-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Thread hi-jacker! :)

Sorry - it's funny. I'm incorrigible.

Seriously, congratulations on your Winnings, Pal. I'm very pleased for you.

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Sorry - it's funny. I'm incorrigible.

Seriously, congratulations on your Winnings, Pal. I'm very pleased for you.

hahaha...keep up the good work Phob.

greg63
03-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Congratulations; do ya remember that $2,140 ya owe me??? :D

Phobia
03-15-2006, 01:29 AM
haha..This is the first comment I have made about you and WPI...but I personally think it is funny that you do this.

You think it's funny because your sense of humor hasn't been convoluted by bills, wives, ex-wives, and bastard children springing up in your wake. Young, pure men laugh more frequently than older, jaded men.

Rausch
03-15-2006, 01:30 AM
You think it's funny because your sense of humor hasn't been convoluted by bills, wives, ex-wives, and bastard children springing up in your wake.

Ahem...

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 01:33 AM
You think it's funny because your sense of humor hasn't been convoluted by bills, wives, ex-wives, and bastard children springing up in your wake. Young, pure men laugh more frequently than older, jaded men.

I guess if I ever need pre-marriage counseling I'll call you. Hopefully talking to you would remind me how much it's going to cost me after the marriage ends.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Just don't get married until you're at least 28. The male brain is fully developed (as far as it is likely to go, anyway) by then and you'll likely make a good choice.

Actually, you should do whatever you think is right. You seem to have your head on straight and an old man who will straighten it if it's not. I was an idiot and fell for all the AIDS pandamonium the media was spreading in the early 90's. I'm an idiot.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Ahem...

Sorry Brad - are you requiring some level of acknowledgement? :D

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Just don't get married until you're at least 28. The male brain is fully developed (as far as it is likely to go, anyway) by then and you'll likely make a good choice.

Actually, you should do whatever you think is right. You seem to have your head on straight and an old man who will straighten it if it's not. I was an idiot and fell for all the AIDS pandamonium the media was spreading in the early 90's. I'm an idiot.

Yeah my dad wouldn't physically rule me but would definately tell me how bad I am screwing up if I was. Now my brother got married at 22 (this past August) and they're expecting their first child this November. He felt like he wasn't making enough money to support the child the way he felt it needed to be supported, so he quit his job and took another job as a welder making a lot more money. He has really grown up from his sleep with any women that walks days. A lot of that has to deal with my father stepping in and saying something.

Rausch
03-15-2006, 01:48 AM
Sorry Brad - are you requiring some level of acknowledgement? :D

No, $2,800 later I've gotten that.

Rausch
03-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Yeah my dad wouldn't physically rule me but would definately tell me how bad I am screwing up if I was. Now my brother got married at 22 (this past August) and they're expecting their first child this November. He felt like he wasn't making enough money to support the child the way he felt it needed to be supported, so he quit his job and took another job as a welder making a lot more money. He has really grown up from his sleep with any women that walks days. A lot of that has to deal with my father stepping in and saying something.

I think you should give your brother more credit... ;)

mcan
03-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Nice win man... Congrats.

Now would be a good time to read a few articles about starting and keeping a bankroll for poker. Cash out whatever you are uncomfortable losing. If losing 100.00 would make you sick, then cash out all but 80 dollars. If losing 500 dollars makes you queezy, then cash out all but 400... You get the idea.

Once you've decided how much you're willing to play with. Keep that much in your bankroll at all times, but only ever play with a certain percentage of that bankroll.

Let's say you decide that 500 dollars is a pretty decent bank. Cash out everything except that 500, and NEVER put any more than $100.00 (20% of your bank) into a single game. If you're a decent player (makes a profit in the long run) you should be having enough winning sessions to keep your roll at 500 and cashing out anything above that to live on or spend.

It shouldn't be too awfully hard to play two games of .50/1.00 NL holdem with 100.00 buyins and average about 10-20 dollars an hour in each game...

alanm
03-15-2006, 01:53 AM
I play poker online at Full Tilt.

Recently I just put 80 bucks online to mess around with. I tried one of their 2-table SNGs and the final 4 got a token good for any 24+2 guarantee tournament.

SO, I decided to play the 24+2 17k guaranteed tournament tonight. I'm not a great tourney player by any means. But, I managed to take 3rd out of 796 people for a cool $2,140.

I'm still tingling and covered in goosebumps. I hope I can get some sleep and make it to class in the morning.
Fast forward to next week.... The credit card companies are calling telling you to cut up their cards. ROFL

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah what mcan said. The pros have too spending accounts from what I've heard. A poker account and a living expenses account and they never get into the living expenses account.

alanm
03-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Wait til ya turn 40. :)

Phobia
03-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Oh - I wasn't talking about myself. My sense of humor is just as warped as it ever was.

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 02:03 AM
I think you should give your brother more credit... ;)

I give him a lot of credit for it. My brother was enrolled in college for a year before he screwed up horribly and go into massive trouble. I think my brother realized how much my dad got upset about it and pretty much grew up from that point.

My brother screwing up in college pretty much means I can't screw up or I will probably lose my last name over it.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 02:06 AM
It's okay - you can get a better one.

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Nice win man... Congrats.

Now would be a good time to read a few articles about starting and keeping a bankroll for poker. Cash out whatever you are uncomfortable losing. If losing 100.00 would make you sick, then cash out all but 80 dollars. If losing 500 dollars makes you queezy, then cash out all but 400... You get the idea.

Once you've decided how much you're willing to play with. Keep that much in your bankroll at all times, but only ever play with a certain percentage of that bankroll.

Let's say you decide that 500 dollars is a pretty decent bank. Cash out everything except that 500, and NEVER put any more than $100.00 (20% of your bank) into a single game. If you're a decent player (makes a profit in the long run) you should be having enough winning sessions to keep your roll at 500 and cashing out anything above that to live on or spend.

It shouldn't be too awfully hard to play two games of .50/1.00 NL holdem with 100.00 buyins and average about 10-20 dollars an hour in each game...
Winning money on .50/1.00 is probably tougher than winning money in 5/10 if you know what you're doing.

So many bad players at that limit = a horrendous amount of suckouts.

5/10 you can play good poker and get paid off, you can't say the same thing in .50/1.00 unless you hit good flops.

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 02:14 AM
It's okay - you can get a better one.

I'd prefer to keep my last name, has a good ring to it :) and nobody calls me by my first name very often.

mcan
03-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Winning money on .50/1.00 is probably tougher than winning money in 5/10 if you know what you're doing.

So many bad players at that limit = a horrendous amount of suckouts.

5/10 you can play good poker and get paid off, you can't say the same thing in .50/1.00 unless you hit good flops.

Bad players are the players you get PAID on... They suck out the same PERCENTAGE as good players, but they call a whole lot more often with worse hands. So yeah, they suck out more often, but you're getting paid more often too. The problem with 5/10 is that the players are good enough that you have to really battle to make money with your good hands. You can bluff good players more, but that means that you're risking a LOT more money and bluffing a LOT more and good players will only call you when they have better hands than you. So, when you make a mistake in 5/10 (and you will) you'll be losing MUCH more money than you would in a .5/1 game, and when you finally get your aces you have to get really lucky that somebody else has made a great hand to get that call. Unlike a .5/1 game where the fish will call you down with middle pair.

The other problem with 5/10 is that in order to play that game effectively you have to have at least a grand sitting in front of you. That means you need at least 5 grand in your bankroll, and you have to be prepared for those kinds of swings.

MCAN'S poker rule #1:
Don't EVER complain about getting sucked out when a FISH calls you with a worse hand. You won't convince the cards to come out better, you'll only convince the FISH to play better next time... YOU WANT THAT CALL!

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 02:34 AM
Bad players are the players you get PAID on... They suck out the same PERCENTAGE as good players, but they call a whole lot more often with worse hands. So yeah, they suck out more often, but you're getting paid more often too. The problem with 5/10 is that the players are good enough that you have to really battle to make money with your good hands. You can bluff good players more, but that means that you're risking a LOT more money and bluffing a LOT more and good players will only call you when they have better hands than you. So, when you make a mistake in 5/10 (and you will) you'll be losing MUCH more money than you would in a .5/1 game, and when you finally get your aces you have to get really lucky that somebody else has made a great hand to get that call. Unlike a .5/1 game where the fish will call you down with middle pair.

The other problem with 5/10 is that in order to play that game effectively you have to have at least a grand sitting in front of you. That means you need at least 5 grand in your bankroll, and you have to be prepared for those kinds of swings.

MCAN'S poker rule #1:
Don't EVER complain about getting sucked out when a FISH calls you with a worse hand. You won't convince the cards to come out better, you'll only convince the FISH to play better next time... YOU WANT THAT CALL!
A grand on 5/10?! LOL. No way. You can go play 5/10 with 100 dollars. I'm talking limit here. Limit is where the money is. I enjoy playing NL more, but when I want to make money I sit 10/20. If you know how to play limit, as long as you hit a few flops and don't get ****ed a few times, you can make 1000 dollars in a few hours.

Now, I only play when I'm fresh and focused, but if you're disciplined, which I am, you can cash in on 10/20. I played some 30/60 and wasn't too successful.

I've been playing religiously for 5 years now, and I remember when I used to play 0.50/1.00, and I'm telling you, if you play that year round, you'll come out no more than even. This year alone I'm up quite a bit on poker, as I keep full logs from every site I play on.

Easiest site to make money on is Ultimate Bet, FYI.

Rausch
03-15-2006, 03:21 AM
Now, I only play when I'm fresh and focused, but if you're disciplined, which I am, you can cash in on 10/20. I played some 30/60 and wasn't too successful.

I've been playing religiously for 5 years now, and I remember when I used to play 0.50/1.00, and I'm telling you, if you play that year round, you'll come out no more than even. This year alone I'm up quite a bit on poker, as I keep full logs from every site I play on.

I've only been playing poker for around 9 months now.

In general I'm good fer a n00b, but i'm still a n00b.

Took a $20 investment and turned it into $198 on only $5 sit-n-go 10 player tables. Took about two months, here n there. Nothing big.

Had a few things go really $#itty lately (personal stuff) and I'll be damned if I haven't lost all but $15 dollars.

At this point I'd swear that attitude/mindset/expectations are about 70% of the game. I've never lost this much. Not even in play-money...

mcan
03-15-2006, 03:40 AM
A grand on 5/10?! LOL. No way. You can go play 5/10 with 100 dollars. I'm talking limit here. Limit is where the money is. I enjoy playing NL more, but when I want to make money I sit 10/20. If you know how to play limit, as long as you hit a few flops and don't get ****ed a few times, you can make 1000 dollars in a few hours.

Limit is a totally different ballgame. but i wouldn't sit down at a 5/10 game without 500 bucks. 100 bucks is 10 bets. You don't catch a decent starting hand for two or three blinds and you're basically playing for all your money the first AQ you see, and if you get two or three callers you're scared of any flop that doesn't hit you. That sucks. But sure, if you're patient and can do the math, limit is a very profitable game. Most people are playing no limit, which is helping the limit player. A lot of no-limit players are sitting at limit games and losing money playing suited connecters and chasing down flushes that would only be winning plays if they had the ability to push all-in when they hit. Limit is a game of BIG CARDS and patience... Sounds like you've got a good thing going with it. My only advice is to sit down with enough money to weather the storm when the cards don't go your way the first or second time you play a pot.

StcChief
03-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Good job...stash some back for future poker.

Ceej
03-15-2006, 08:49 AM
I decided to take the route nobody on here would have. I cashed it out.

Thanks though, I made it to class on time, unfortunately I left early.

Gonzo
03-15-2006, 08:58 AM

Thanks though, I made it to class on time, unfortunately I left early.

That's a great win! Good for you...

(ahem 1-800-BETS-OFF) :thumb:

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:00 AM

I'd have DEFINITELY cashed out, but I was too busy discussing far more important things to make that suggestion. I'm glad you took my advice anyway.

Ceej
03-15-2006, 09:01 AM
So, now I'm only suppose to purchase TWO WPI memberships? Hehe.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Oh - no. You took my unspoken advice about cashing out. I'm taking credit for that now.

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 09:17 AM
I would love to play some SNG's, but I just dont have the luxury to spend 5+ hours doing any one thing aside from work. I can only play for a little at a time. It's hard to get into a flow, when you're only playing an hour or two at a time.