View Full Version : Teicher: TO not on Chiefs' list, Bernard is

tk13
03-15-2006, 02:20 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14100192.htm

Owens not on Chiefs’ list
Edwards says team does not have plans to contact receiver

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The T.O. watch got off to a slow start at Arrowhead Stadium. Not a single sighting of Terrell Owens, the controversial veteran wide receiver who became a free agent Tuesday when he was released by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs had no plans to meet with Owens.

“We haven’t had that conversation,” Edwards said. “We haven’t talked about it. We don’t know what that situation is, so we’ll just have to see.

“We haven’t talked to his people since the Senior Bowl (in January). Nothing has transpired since that. We’re open to listening to everybody. That’s what you have to be able to do in free-agency. You have to be a good listener.”

■ MAKE THEM AN OFFER: Edwards indicated the Chiefs may soon make contract offers to Seattle defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and Giants cornerback Will Allen. Both were meeting with the Chiefs Tuesday in Kansas City.

Edwards said the Chiefs might try to re-sign starting defensive tackle Lional Dalton even if they get Bernard under contract.

“You always try to create competition and upgrade your position,” he said. “Defensive line is like offensive line. You can never have enough of those guys. That’s the strength of any football team.”

The Chiefs are looking for cornerbacks after the recent release of former starters Eric Warfield and Dexter McCleon.

“We’re going to get some defensive backs one way or another because you’ve got to play with them,” Edwards said.

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Let's get it done then. I wouldn't mind Bernard, but Allen sucks.

Tribal Warfare
03-15-2006, 02:23 AM
You always try to create competition and upgrade your position,” he said. “Defensive line is like offensive line. You can never have enough of those guys. That’s the strength of any football team.
Sounds like Hali and or Bunkley is still in the mix

Rausch
03-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Let's get it done then. I wouldn't mind Bernard, but Allen sucks.

I'd just like to point out I predicted we'd sign Allen by Wednesday, only because I hate the idea making it a sure bet...

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 02:29 AM
I'd just like to point out I predicted we'd sign Allen by Wednesday, only because I hate the idea making it a sure bet...

It wouldn't surprise me if you are right. What do you think about Bernard?

Rausch
03-15-2006, 02:31 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if you are right. What do you think about Bernard?

He's another Dalton.

Should be productive but never seems to reach potential.

If we could land him like we did Dalton with a low risk/high reward contract I'd be fine with it...

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 02:35 AM
He's another Dalton.

If we could land him like we did Dalton with a low risk/high reward contract I'd be fine with it...

Yeah that's what I figured. Bernard did have 8 sacks last year right? But it looks like it was probably just the contract play that did that.

keg in kc
03-15-2006, 02:39 AM
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

greg63
03-15-2006, 02:42 AM

That's my kind of luck as well.

Guru
03-15-2006, 02:43 AM
That's my kind of luck as well.

Dang Greg, you're still up? Isn't it past your bedtime? :hmmm:

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 02:47 AM

Greg, like Chuck Norris, has no bed time.

Rausch
03-15-2006, 02:50 AM
Greg, like Chuck Norris, has no bed time.
ROFL

greg63
03-15-2006, 02:57 AM

What Dunit35 said; Chuck himself personally took me under his wing and bestowed upon me this skill. :D

Dunit35
03-15-2006, 02:58 AM
What Dunit35 said; Chuck himself personally took me under his wing and bestowed upon me this skill. :D

LOL...the only thing I got from Chuck Norris was the ability to grow a beard and that takes forever.

greg63
03-15-2006, 03:07 AM
LOL...the only thing I got from Chuck Norris was the ability to grow a beard and that takes forever.ROFLROFLROFL

That you should have learned from Rich Scanlon.

Well not that I'm admitting to having a bed time; but the wife gets cranky at me if I don't climb into bed before her alarm goes off; so...

Nite Planet!

Deberg_1990
03-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Will Allen = Dexter McCleon Jr.

Same Old Carl.......

DenverChief
03-15-2006, 03:11 AM
whats the deal with this Allen guy?

Short Leash Hootie
03-15-2006, 03:12 AM
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_NFL_career.asp?sport=NFL&leaguenum=&id=949

Doesn't look terrible stats wise. No picks, no turnovers, but if the price is right, a little depth won't hurt.

tk13
03-15-2006, 03:26 AM
Well, I'm not really blown away by Allen, but I'm not sure I'd take the word of a bunch of angry Giants fans either. He seemed to have a ton of dropped INT's from what little I've read about him. Which I guess means he was at least in position to make some plays.

That said, I'd still much rather do this than drop more big money on a corner. I don't know, I just don't believe in that, especially in today's NFL. It's like signing David Ortiz to a huge contract and telling him he can only use half a baseball bat. But I was the guy off in the corner by himself saying we should sign Andre Dyson and Kelly Herndon last year while everyone else wanted Surtain and Law. I'm not sure Allen is the answer but we definitely don't need anything resembling another overpaid corner. I guess I'll defer to Herm on this, he has a pretty good track record of evaluating defensive backs.

DenverChief
03-15-2006, 04:28 AM
Well, I'm not really blown away by Allen, but I'm not sure I'd take the word of a bunch of angry Giants fans either. He seemed to have a ton of dropped INT's from what little I've read about him. Which I guess means he was at least in position to make some plays.

That said, I'd still much rather do this than drop more big money on a corner. I don't know, I just don't believe in that, especially in today's NFL. It's like signing David Ortiz to a huge contract and telling him he can only use half a baseball bat. But I was the guy off in the corner by himself saying we should sign Andre Dyson and Kelly Herndon last year while everyone else wanted Surtain and Law. I'm not sure Allen is the answer but we definitely don't need anything resembling another overpaid corner. I guess I'll defer to Herm on this, he has a pretty good track record of evaluating defensive backs.

I'd like to see us use a draft pick on a CB in the first and sign a FA DT and WR....it is my understanding that this years draft is deep at CB?

Guru
03-15-2006, 04:33 AM
:hmmm: Interesting sig for a deputy, don't ya think? :hmmm:

DenverChief
03-15-2006, 04:38 AM
:hmmm: Interesting sig for a deputy, don't ya think? :hmmm:

:LOL: someone else controls the vid in my sig...I think the link belongs to zootedgranny....usually has really cool Chiefs highlights but occasionally a strange one pops up

DenverChief
03-15-2006, 04:38 AM
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_NFL_career.asp?sport=NFL&leaguenum=&id=949

Doesn't look terrible stats wise. No picks, no turnovers, but if the price is right, a little depth won't hurt.

I just hope he isn't another Carlton Gray :banghead::banghead:

Guru
03-15-2006, 04:41 AM
:LOL: someone else controls the vid in my sig...I think the link belongs to zootedgranny....usually has really cool Chiefs highlights but occasionally a strange one pops up

OK. I will let it slide then. :harumph: ROFL

Cochise
03-15-2006, 07:01 AM
I am confused, because Nick Athan was just on the sports spot last night saying that Carl was going after TO in a push to get the stadium ballot measure approved.

siberian khatru
03-15-2006, 07:07 AM

I wanted Andre Dawson and Larry Herndon.

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Cabrera/Cabrera_Images/Cabrera.TheySay.02.gif

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/larry_herndon_autograph.jpg

HemiEd
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Why are we not retaining the services of Washington, instead of looking for another mediocre DB? I thought Washington performed very well.

CoMoChief
03-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Yeah that's what I figured. Bernard did have 8 sacks last year right? But it looks like it was probably just the contract play that did that.

Not to mention that Seattle has a better Dline that we have meaning other people make other players better. Kind of like when Sims played next to Peppers in college, Sims was a badass. Put him next to a nobody and look what he does, nothing. Not to mention he can never stay on the field. Ive seen how Sims sometimes gets double teamed, then there are other times I see him get dominated by a rookie guard or something. Hopefully Benard and Hali/Bunkley will be that final piece(s) of the puzzle we need to finally have some penetration in our Dline.

CoMoChief
03-15-2006, 07:57 AM
I am confused, because Nick Athan was just on the sports spot last night saying that Carl was going after TO in a push to get the stadium ballot measure approved.

Who said that again?!?!?! Oh yeah that's right.

jspchief
03-15-2006, 08:03 AM
I talked to a buddy that is as big a NYG fan as you'll ever find ( and football smart) about Will Allen. I told him I was under the impression that Allen sucked, but he disagreed with me.

He said Allen's really good in zone coverage, and not bad in man coverage. He said the biggest problem was his hands. That he'll drop every INT that comes his way. Overall, I got the impression that Allen might fit in good as our #2, but that he won't make a lot of big plays.

the Talking Can
03-15-2006, 08:10 AM
I talked to a buddy that is as big a NYG fan as you'll ever find ( and football smart) about Will Allen. I told him I was under the impression that Allen sucked, but he disagreed with me.

He said Allen's really good in zone coverage, and not bad in man coverage. He said the biggest problem was his hands. That he'll drop every INT that comes his way. Overall, I got the impression that Allen might fit in good as our #2, but that he won't make a lot of big plays.

that's ok, we already have too many playmakers on defense....

petegz28
03-15-2006, 08:15 AM
This is the BEST news I have heard in 4 years! Finally someone realizes we need a flipping DT. 2 Dalton's is better than 1 Dalton and 1 Sims.

BigChiefFan
03-15-2006, 08:18 AM

I would agree with that. I've seen Will Allen play a few times and he was one of the upcomers just a couple of years ago. He may drop some Ints., but he's a solid cornerback. I'm surprised so many here have bagged on him.

petegz28
03-15-2006, 08:20 AM
If Cornerbacks could catch the ball they would be Wide Recievers

jspchief
03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
I would agree with that. I've seen Will Allen play a few times and he was one of the upcomers just a couple of years ago. He may drop some Ints., but he's a solid cornerback. I'm surprised so many here have bagged on him.I was one of the guys bagging on him. Part of it was my belief that this buddy hated him. Apparently I was wrong (maybe it was Will Peterson?), because overall he said he's not a bad player.

He may not be the Superbowl MVP for us, but at the very least it adds some experience to an otherwise very inexperienced CB group.

the Talking Can
03-15-2006, 08:22 AM
he isn't as bad as McCleon

he isn't as good as Warfield

StcChief
03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
No surprise on TO.

Bernard would be a good signing.
Will Allen? If the price is right.

The Bad Guy
03-15-2006, 08:25 AM
I was one of the guys bagging on him. Part of it was my belief that this buddy hated him. Apparently I was wrong (maybe it was Will Peterson?), because overall he said he's not a bad player.

He may not be the Superbowl MVP for us, but at the very least it adds some experience to an otherwise very inexperienced CB group.

My brother is also a huge NYG fan.

He has gotten to know Allen from going to different Giants events and the draft.

Despite all that, my brother said he isn't any good. He said he's progressively gotten worse every year.

The fact that the Giants have a dominant pass rush, but yet Allen is still terrible doesn't give me all warm fuzzy feelings.

petegz28
03-15-2006, 08:28 AM

He has gotten to know Allen from going to different Giants events and the draft.

Despite all that, my brother said he isn't any good. He said he's progressively gotten worse every year.

The fact that the Giants have a dominant pass rush, but yet Allen is still terrible doesn't give me all warm fuzzy feelings.

How many corners get good reps because of a good Down-4 pass rush?

I like Surtain and think he was a great addition. But he looked better with that Miami pass rush. A crappy corner can play good if the Down-4 can generate some pressure.

The Bad Guy
03-15-2006, 08:29 AM
How many corners get good reps because of a good Down-4 pass rush?

I like Surtain and think he was a great addition. But he looked better with that Miami pass rush. A crappy corner can play good if the Down-4 can generate some pressure.

That's my point.

The Giants had a great pass rush and Allen still looked terrible.

jspchief
03-15-2006, 08:33 AM

The fact that the Giants have a dominant pass rush, but yet Allen is still terrible doesn't give me all warm fuzzy feelings.Well, I respect my friends opinion, and wouldn't expect him to hold anything back. I really expected him to tell me he sucks.

I do remember early hype for the guy, and I don't think he's lived up to it.

Chiefnj
03-15-2006, 08:37 AM
I love Herm quotes. They sound like he's saying something important, but he's not; in fact he has no idea what the situation is.

“We haven’t had that conversation,” Edwards said. “We haven’t talked about it. We don’t know what that situation is, so we’ll just have to see.

“We haven’t talked to his people since the Senior Bowl (in January). Nothing has transpired since that. We’re open to listening to everybody. That’s what you have to be able to do in free-agency. You have to be a good listener.”

This is why I'm just an armchair GM. I thought that at the start of free agency teams were supposed to contact the players they were interested in and try to convince them to sign up. But apparantly you are supposed to sit back and listen for the free agents to come to you.

My 2nd favorite quote:

"We’re going to get some defensive backs one way or another because you’ve got to play with them”

Does this man know defense or what!

el borracho
03-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Oh, great. Herm's gonna load us up with his old New York castoffs. ;)

Lurch
03-15-2006, 08:41 AM
I love Herm quotes. They sound like he's saying something important, but he's not; in fact he has no idea what the situation is.

This is why I'm just an armchair GM. I thought that at the start of free agency teams were supposed to contact the players they were interested in and try to convince them to sign up. But apparantly you are supposed to sit back and listen for the free agents to come to you.

My 2nd favorite quote:

"We’re going to get some defensive backs one way or another because you’ve got to play with them”

Does this man know defense or what!

Not exactly the eloquent fella, is he?

jspchief
03-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Not exactly the eloquent fella, is he?Lucky for him, he's a coach and not a politician.

I'd say public speaking is pretty low on the list of criteria for quality coaching.

Cochise
03-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Who said that again?!?!?! Oh yeah that's right.

Yes, I'm aware of his reputation, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck onto this board. It was a subtle attempt at humor.

I'm actually surprised that the thread didn't turn into a dogpile. It seems interesting that his and Teicher's angles would be totally opposed.

Lurch
03-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Lucky for him, he's a coach and not a politician.

I'd say public speaking is pretty low on the list of criteria for quality coaching.

Oh, I agree. It's just that someone who's spent as much time in front of a mike as he has, you'd think he'd be somwhat more polished.

Chiefnj
03-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Oh, I agree. It's just that someone who's spent as much time in front of a mike as he has, you'd think he'd be somwhat more polished.

When you listen to him, he's a good speaker. He's got some Johnny Cochrane in him. It isn't until you read what he says or think about what he says that you realize you didn't gain anything from it. At the time he's saying it, it sounds good.

jspchief
03-15-2006, 09:07 AM
When you listen to him, he's a good speaker. He's got some Johnny Cochrane in him. It isn't until you read what he says or think about what he says that you realize you didn't gain anything from it. At the time he's saying it, it sounds good.No doubt. He's taken "coachspeak" to a whole new level.

Chiefnj
03-15-2006, 09:12 AM
No doubt. He's taken "coachspeak" to a whole new level.

He's a cool coach. People will love him at first. I remember when the Jets first hired him. He didn't have a key for a gate that surrounds the stadium. The top of the gate has barbed wire around it. Herm scaled the gate to get in his office. He relayed the story to the press, took them outside and showed them how he climbed the fence. He's likable.

ct
03-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Hallelujah!!

petegz28
03-15-2006, 09:40 AM
That's my point.

The Giants had a great pass rush and Allen still looked terrible.

I agree. Which is why I say we are just as good going with Battle or Hodge.

dj56dt58
03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I agree. Which is why I say we are just as good going with Battle or Hodge.
finally, somebody is using their head. We have young corners to give a shot to. We have Battle who is supposed to be improved, and we have Hodge. Let those 2 compete for the #2 corner spot. We didn't get them just to sit around and draw a paycheck. I am, however, also all for drafting Huff. Reason being, he will make a nice corner if neither of those 2 pan out, and if one of them, or hopefully both of them play well, then bye bye Wesley and hello Huff at safety.

TRR
03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Carl Peterson said last night on ESPN that if Owens and his agent are interested in a one year deal with a lot of incentives, and no guarantees....Than Carl and the Chiefs are interested. If not, then T.O will go elsewhere.

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Carl Peterson said last night on ESPN that if Owens and his agent are interested in a one year deal with a lot of incentives, and no guarantees....Than Carl and the Chiefs are interested. If not, then T.O will go elsewhere.

Shyeah...he'd be interested in that. LOL.

Chiefnj
03-15-2006, 10:24 AM

That is such a bizzare position for Peterson to take. Incentives aren't the way to deal with a player like Owens. If Owens needs X catches to make another couple of million, he's going to complain like a MFer that the ball isn't coming his way enough.

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 10:32 AM
...he's going to complain like a MFer that the ball isn't coming his way enough.

I figured he would do this regardless of incentives or guaranteed $.

luv
03-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I didn't know we had "trial periods". Learn something new everyday.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 10:39 AM
I really hope we sign Will Allen AND Keyshawn or Moulds.

That way we can use the draft for the REAL NEEDS at S, DT, and DE.

I don't want them to pass up a Michael Huff or Tamba Hali because Ashton Youboty or Chad Jackson is available...

FAX
03-15-2006, 10:39 AM
First off. You want a receiver who wants the ball.

Second off. Incentives don't have to be tied to catches or receiving yards.

Third off. Although I am proud that we have men of high character on our team. I would trade one out-of-profile troublemaker on the Chiefs roster for a season or two in exchange for one SB win.

FAX

milkman
03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
That is such a bizzare position for Peterson to take. Incentives aren't the way to deal with a player like Owens. If Owens needs X catches to make another couple of million, he's going to complain like a MFer that the ball isn't coming his way enough.

The incentives would have to be team oriented goals rather than personal numbers.

They'd have to be written in such a way that it would deter him from becoming a loudmouth bitch.

I'll be happier than a pig in shit if he never so much as makes a visit.

On the other hand, if we are going to go after FAs this offseason, a young up and coming guy like Bernard is just the type I'd like to see us persue.

Woodrow Call
03-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Rumor has it that Keyshawn was on Sirius and said that KC and Phili were both interested.

I didn't hear it myself so take it FWIW.

milkman
03-15-2006, 10:45 AM

I don't want them to pass up a Michael Huff or Tamba Hali because Ashton Youboty or Chad Jackson is available...

Imagine Tamba Hali and Rocky Bernard on the same D-Line.

petegz28
03-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Kennison, Parker and Johnson.....that is a great combo

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Imagine Tamba Hali and Rocky Bernard on the same D-Line.

I already have. Why do you think I'm a proponent of bringing in Keyshawn? :D

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 11:32 AM
meshawn blows

75% of the bad attitude of terrell Owens
25% of the talent of terrell Owens

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 11:35 AM
meshawn blows

75% of the bad attitude of terrell Owens
25% of the talent of terrell Owens

I'll reserve comment, since your statement isn't accurate.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I'll reserve comment, since your statement isn't accurate.
since when have you been concern with accuracy?

ameliorated1216
03-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Several articles have said that Battle didn't look good before he got hurt... I thought he looked pretty good before he got hurt. Maybe not quite there yet but close. Did I see more than was there?

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 11:57 AM
since when have you been concern with accuracy?

I've always been concerned with accuracy.

You just never noticed because you were too busy complaining about Carl Peterson and Lamar Hunt.

milkman
03-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Several articles have said that Battle didn't look good before he got hurt... I thought he looked pretty good before he got hurt. Maybe not quite there yet but close. Did I see more than was there?

I never saw those articles.

Everything I read said that Kawika and Battle were the most improved players on the defense.

RedThat
03-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm not as high on Keyshawn. Another T.O like personality, except not as fierce. Rocky Bernard though, I say, sign him up!!

We need to get as many pass-rushers on this defense as possible. He's a good start to what this defense needs.

Basileus777
03-15-2006, 12:12 PM

There is no chance Huff falls to us. I don't think Youboty is the best first round selection either, if Hill and Williams are gone we are better off going DE or DT.

RedThat
03-15-2006, 12:14 PM
There is no chance Huff falls to us. I don't think Youboty is the best first round selection either, if Hill and Williams are gone we are better off going DE or DT.

I'd like for the Chiefs to draft, Tamba Hali(if he falls to us), or Broderick Bunkley(if he falls to us) with the #20th pick.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 12:33 PM

I realize that.

I just don't want them to be tempted by a guy like Jackson when we have so many needs on defense.

nychief
03-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I'd like for the Chiefs to draft, Tamba Hali(if he falls to us), or Broderick Bunkley(if he falls to us) with the #20th pick.

no way halli falls to us. I still like Kiwi despite the fact everybody has soured on him. I wouldn't mind Elvis from Louisville either. That being said, we will probably take a Safety, and, god willing, Brodie Croyle in he 2nd.

melbar
03-15-2006, 01:51 PM
He's another Dalton.

Rocky was one of the top DTs in the league last year for a team that went to the SB. He led all DTs in sacks. isnt that what we need is a little disruption up front? He's also 27.

Bowser
03-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Well, maybe TO is back on the list now.

Logical
03-15-2006, 03:40 PM
“We’re going to get some defensive backs one way or another because you’ve got to play with them,” Edwards said.

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/03/08/guiness-inside.jpgBrilliant

Halfcan
03-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Maybe Teicher will check the internet before he prints anymore stupid shit out of Herms mouth.

Coach
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
One thing I would be curious to see is which DT's will be cut when the June 1 cuts come around the corner.

Halfcan
03-15-2006, 10:47 PM
One thing I would be curious to see is which DT's will be cut when the June 1 cuts come around the corner.

that is what the Cheaps are wating for-a discount hack to fill in for their shitty D.

Time for a countdown until King Carl is gone!!!

alanm
03-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Well, maybe TO is back on the list now.
I don't think we ever had a list to begin with. I bet right now Petersen is over on his annual pilgrimage to Scotland sitting in a pub fondling his balls underneath his kilt. :cuss: :cuss:

greg63
03-15-2006, 11:58 PM
that is what the Cheaps are wating for-a discount hack to fill in for their shitty D.

Time for a countdown until King Carl is gone!!!

10, 9, 8...

Guru
03-16-2006, 12:01 AM
10, 9, 8...

Nope, that would be too soon. Is there such a thing as a countdown to infinity? :hmmm:

Fish
03-16-2006, 12:02 AM
10, 9, 8...

-1, -2, -3, -4.........

Guru
03-16-2006, 12:03 AM
-1, -2, -3, -4.........

There ya go... :thumb:

greg63
03-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Nope, that would be too soon. Is there such a thing as a countdown to infinity? :hmmm:

Ooops, I meant; 1000000, 999999, 999998....