PDA

View Full Version : Bernard back to Seattle

The Bad Guy
03-15-2006, 12:56 PM
3 year deal with 5.4 million signing bonus. Per ESPN.

Just F'n great.

nychief
03-15-2006, 12:57 PM
well we sat around with our dicks in our hands, what do you expect.

Bowser
03-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Pathetic.

alpha_omega
03-15-2006, 01:26 PM
:banghead:

Bowser
03-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Pathetic.

Pathetic in that we could have given him more without even breaking a sweat.

KCTitus
03-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Ewww...glad I was busy this PM. Im not into sausage fests.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Yeah, if only we would have brought him in for an interview...

David.
03-15-2006, 01:56 PM
....we couldn't spend 5.4 over 3?!

retarded

Chiefnj
03-15-2006, 02:04 PM

retarded

Who knows. KC could have offered more but he wanted to stay with a team that makes the playoffs and is in an easier division.

BigChiefFan
03-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey, I just found out we are GETTING READY to offer him a contract. LOL. Sims and Browning are the current starters-Bust and busted up. Our defensive line is utter crap and Lamar isn't willing to loosen the purse strings for a contract like that? That's pathetic.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 02:08 PM

retarded

How do you know we didn't offer him more? Maybe he wanted to stay with the team that just went to the Super Bowl...

Count Zarth
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
If memory serves this deal is not much more expensive than the one Knight signed last year.

FAX
03-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Lot of thread energy wasted on that phantom opportunity.

We could have used him.

FAX

David.
03-15-2006, 02:13 PM
i misread the paragraph. I thought the contract was 5.4 over 3.

13 over 3 isn't so bad.

tk13
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
If memory serves this deal is not much more expensive than the one Knight signed last year.
Knight's a proven veteran safety. This guy is backup DT that finally broke out in a contract year last year.

Count Zarth
03-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Knight's a proven veteran safety. This guy is backup DT that finally broke out in a contract year last year.

I guess. Let's not take any chances, they might blow up in our face and destroy our football team!

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
I guess. Let's not take any chances, they might blow up in our face and destroy our football team!

Yeah, especially if the guy said "I'm taking less money because I'd rather play for Seattle."

BigChiefFan
03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Knight's a proven veteran safety. This guy is backup DT that finally broke out in a contract year last year.Doesn't having a break out year qualify as being proven to a certain degree? This is free agency we are talking about-there no guarantees about any player, but for a contract like that, it's worth taking a chance on.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 02:27 PM
How do you know we didn't offer him more? Maybe he wanted to stay with the team that just went to the Super Bowl...■ MAKE THEM AN OFFER: Edwards indicated the Chiefs may soon make contract offers to Seattle defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and Giants cornerback Will Allen. Both were meeting with the Chiefs Tuesday in Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14100192.htm

Cave Johnson
03-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Doesn't even sound like he was able to use our offer to leverage more money from Seattle. Just f'ing outstanding, CP. Genious.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, if only we would have brought him in for an interview...How do you know we didn't offer him more? Maybe he wanted to stay with the team that just went to the Super Bowl...Yeah, especially if the guy said "I'm taking less money because I'd rather play for Seattle."
lets hear it for parker ... the man hit all the normal excuses in just the first page of the thread.

1. we were trying
2. how do you stupid fans know what we did
3. i'm sure the player took less money to avoid playing in KC.

now that's talent folks :clap:

tk13
03-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Doesn't having a break out year qualify as being proven to a certain degree? This is free agency we are talking about-there no guarantees about any player, but for a contract like that, it's worth taking a chance on.
Not hardly. There are scores of pro athletes who have had monster years in contract years and then came back down to earth. Have you seen any of the free agents Carl has signed over the years? Just look at just about every big FA we've signed over the last 15 years... Morton, Gray, McGlockton, Dan Williams...

I was all for signing the guy, but I was realistic about what he was, some of you people act like he's Reggie White. The guy has played 4 years, started 9 regular season games, and has 1 career sack in the month of December.

Joe Seahawk
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Whewww!!

That was a close one..

Tribal Warfare
03-15-2006, 02:36 PM
KC will go after either Mr. Bunkley or Hali in the draft for sure now.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Whewww!!

That was a close one..

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, especially if the guy said "I'm taking less money because I'd rather play for Seattle."

ROFL

It must be that time of year again. Excuses are everywhere.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:09 PM
lets hear it for parker ... the man hit all the normal excuses in just the first page of the thread.

1. we were trying
2. how do you stupid fans know what we did
3. i'm sure the player took less money to avoid playing in KC.

now that's talent folks :clap:

It's only an excuse for people that would rather bitch than accept the reality that they don't know everything.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
It's only an excuse for people that would rather bitch than accept the reality that they don't know everything.
speaking on not knowing everything...

Quote:
<HR SIZE=1>
Originally Posted by htismaqe
How do you know we didn't offer him more? Maybe he wanted to stay with the team that just went to the Super Bowl...
<HR SIZE=1>
■ MAKE THEM AN OFFER: Edwards indicated the Chiefs may soon make contract offers to Seattle defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and Giants cornerback Will Allen. Both were meeting with the Chiefs Tuesday in Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansa...ts/14100192.htm (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14100192.htm)

JBucc
03-15-2006, 03:13 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ct
03-15-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
<HR SIZE=1>
<HR SIZE=1>
■ MAKE THEM AN OFFER: Edwards indicated the Chiefs may soon make contract offers to Seattle defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and Giants cornerback Will Allen. Both were meeting with the Chiefs Tuesday in Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansa...ts/14100192.htm (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14100192.htm)

When was that quote obtained? Yesterday? 2 days ago? Just moments before the story was published? Who knows...

And BTW, who gives a shit, it's gone!

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 03:15 PM
When was that quote obtained? Yesterday? 2 days ago? Just moments before the story was published? Who knows...

And BTW, who gives a shit, it's gone!

Yeah, no big deal. We can always re-sign Lional Dalton!

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
<HR SIZE=1>
<HR SIZE=1>

Just because we didn't tender him a formal WRITTEN contract doesn't mean we didn't talk to him about compensation parameters.

Have you ever interviewed for a job before?

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Just because we didn't tender him a formal WRITTEN contract doesn't mean we didn't talk to him about compensation parameters.

Oh yeah....I almost forgot about that one from last year.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah....I almost forgot about that one from last year.

Obviously negotiating salary wasn't part of the deal when you got hired at Wal-Mart either...

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:21 PM

ROFLROFL

the man has more excuses than paris hilton has STD's

the real sad part is that he doesn't even care whether he right or not ... as long as he can call as many fans idiots as possible.

ct
03-15-2006, 03:22 PM
nobody negotiates with walmart, dey are da debil!

ct
03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
ROFLROFL

the real sad part is that he doesn't even care whether he right or not ... as long as he can call as many fans idiots as possible.

sometimes the shoe just fits :)

tk13
03-15-2006, 03:24 PM
ROFLROFL

You seriously think we brought him to Kansas City and didn't talk about money at all?

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:26 PM
ROFLROFL

I don't have to care, because I am right.

I'm not the one making unfounded assumptions.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
You seriously think we brought him to Kansas City and didn't talk about money at all?

Of course they talked about money. Carl offered him $1000 a year and a $10k signing bonus. He's cheap.

Woodrow Call
03-15-2006, 03:32 PM
I love how people's hatred of CP gets in the way of common sense. Its makes coming to this board so much fun.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:33 PM
i imagine they did in some form or fashion ...

but that doesn't really matter does it ... because whatever kind of money they talked about, in whatever kind of form, wasn't enough to lure Benard away from the 3 yr, $13 million, 5.4 million SB deal that seattle offered.

so what's the difference?

we didn't offer him money, he left
we didn't offer him a contract, he left
we discuss money, but didn't discuss enough money, he left

bottomline is that seattle was able to sign bernard fairly cheap because we didn't want him "enough"

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't have to care, because I am right.

I'm not the one making unfounded assumptions.

no, you're just making an assload of unfounded excuses.

you have no idea whether any of those assumptions you threw out there have any merit whatsoever.... you're just throwing shit against the wall and hoping something will stick.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:37 PM
no, you're just making an assload of unfounded excuses.

you have no idea whether any of those assumptions you threw out there have any merit whatsoever.... you're just throwing shit against the wall and hoping something will stick.

ROFL

The assumptions I thrown out are just that - assumptions.

I threw them out to illustrate a point.

One that you obviously missed.

tk13
03-15-2006, 03:38 PM
i imagine they did in some form or fashion ...

but that doesn't really matter does it ... because whatever kind of money they talked about, in whatever kind of form, wasn't enough to lure Benard away from the 3 yr, $13 million, 5.4 million SB deal that seattle offered.

so what's the difference?

we didn't offer him money, he left
we didn't offer him a contract, he left
we discuss money, but didn't discuss enough money, he left

bottomline is that seattle was able to sign bernard fairly cheap because we didn't want him "enough"
Fairly cheap? Giving a $6 million dollar signing bonus to a situational DT is cheap?

shaneo69
I love how people's hatred of CP gets in the way of common sense. Its makes coming to this board so much fun.

For me, it's the apologists' excuses that make coming to this board so much fun.

Mr. Laz
so tell me what common sense are so many of us missing?

the only to FACTS we do know...

1. seattle was a able to re-sign Bernard for to a contract that is ,being reported as, a fairly reasonable price.

2. whatever we said and or offer to Bernard when he was in KC wasn't enough to get him away from seattle and the reasonable contract.

enlighten me.......

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Fairly cheap? Giving a $6 million dollar signing bonus to a situational DT is cheap?

For a DT who can get 8 sacks in a season, $6 mil is cheap.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:40 PM

He's not a situational DT right now, because Carl was too cheap to sign him.

He'd only be a situational DT if he had signed here and then flamed out.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:41 PM

ok ... see that's a whole different argument

people around here aren't saying "Bernard is gone because he's not worth enough"

if you think that ... then fine

no we are getting a variety of BS excuse about why Bernard didn't sign with us.

PastorMikH
03-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Our first strike-out.

Not surprised. We'll probably sign some overweight, over the hill wannabe for more money too.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:43 PM
He's not a situational DT right now, because Carl was too cheap to sign him.

He'd only be a situational DT if he had signed here and then flamed out.

and.............. he switches

switches from excuses to another "bernard sucks so we didnt' really want him anyway"

doesn't matter that nobody was sayign that before he re-sign with seatlle.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:44 PM

people around here aren't saying "Bernard is gone because he's not worth enough"

ROFL

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM

switches from excuses to another "bernard sucks so we didnt' really want him anyway"

Again, you missed the point.

Hint:

I don't care about Bernard so I don't feel the need to offer "excuses". I'm MOCKING you.

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Yep, that's usually the final rationalization of the Carl Peterson FA process. After the initial excuses are thrown out there, the final conclusion is that the player who spurned us to sign elsewhere wasn't really that good anyway.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't care about Bernard.
the final step ... acceptance

hint - who were you mocking before i got to the thread?!?!?

tk13
03-15-2006, 03:49 PM

Well... I'm not saying I would've been upset if we'd signed him for that. But I don't think we would've got him "cheap" at that price. The guy has had one great year, in a contract year. That's a risky situation, especially for a DT. Maybe it's the fact we've been one of the biggest suckers in paying for guys like McGlockton and Dan Williams that scares me off a bit about that. I think I'd rather take that $6-7 million in signing bonus and throw it at TO and just drafting a fast DT... or just find a DT looking to prove himself like Dalton was.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:50 PM
the final step ... acceptance

hint - who were you mocking before i got to the thread?!?!?

nychief...he was the first one to whine about it.

I LOVE this time of year. So much hand-wringing and crying and so little time to make fun of it...

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 03:53 PM

I LOVE this time of year. So much hand-wringing and crying and so little time to make fun of it...i believe that... EVEN you don't believe half the crap you say.

NaptownChief
03-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Yep, that's usually the final rationalization of the Carl Peterson FA process. After the initial excuses are thrown out there, the final conclusion is that the player who spurned us to sign elsewhere wasn't really that good anyway.

Yeah it is no big deal cause those grapes were probably sour anyway. :D

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 03:56 PM

I LOVE this time of year. So much hand-wringing and crying and so little time to make fun of it...

See, that's where we differ. You would rather make fun of the fans who get a little upset when a good player that we've shown interest in signs a reasonable contract with some other team, whereas I would rather make fun of Carl Peterson's 17 year failure-of-a-regime, and the apologists who still defend him after all these years.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
i believe that... EVEN you don't believe half the crap you say.

I believe that it's possible that we low-balled him.

I believe that it's possible that we never offered him a contract.

It's equally possible that we offered him a contract worth more than what Seattle did and he decided to return to them instead.

The only thing I KNOW is that I don't know what happened.

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I believe that it's possible that we low-balled him.

I believe that it's possible that we never offered him a contract.

It's equally possible that we offered him a contract worth more than what Seattle did and he decided to return to them instead.

The only thing I KNOW is that I don't know what happened.

We don't know how Carl failed to land this guy, we just know that he did fail.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 04:04 PM

And we also KNOW that Carl was the only person involved. The player and his agent had no part in the decision making process.

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 04:07 PM
And we also KNOW that Carl was the only person involved. The player and his agent had no part in the decision making process.another freakin (smartass) excuse...

carl's job was to work with the agent and player and get it done ........... he didn't

if people would just accept that and move on we wouldn't have these threads.

i'm not sure that Bernard isn't a one year wonder ... but for good or bad it's on the chiefs front office whatever happens.

stevieray
03-15-2006, 04:13 PM

It's not up to Carl. It's up to Bernard. And I think this was an agent/player move to force Seattle's hand.

htismaqe
03-15-2006, 04:15 PM
another freakin (smartass) excuse...

carl's job was to work with the agent and player and get it done ........... he didn't

i'm not sure that Bernard isn't a one year wonder ... but for good or bad it's on the chiefs front office whatever happens.

another freakin (smartass) assumption...

Nobody here has any idea what happens behind closed doors at 1 Arrowhead drive

You can continue to cry about excuses all you want. It would only be an excuse if 1) I cared at all and 2) was interested in defending someone I despise.

JBucc
03-15-2006, 04:16 PM
smartasses

Mr. Laz
03-15-2006, 04:16 PM
It's not up to Carl. It's up to Bernard. And I think this was an agent/player move to force Seattle's hand.

nice carl-ism :)

shaneo69
03-15-2006, 04:21 PM
And we also KNOW that Carl was the only person involved. The player and his agent had no part in the decision making process.

And that's why Carl is working on his 18th year with this franchise with no Super Bowl appearances. Every failure can be blamed on other factors. His black leather jacket is made of teflon.

NaptownChief
03-15-2006, 04:25 PM

If things were only bought and nothing ever sold in this world everybody but farmers and toilet paper manufacters would be out of business. One of the biggest jobs of a GM is to be a salesmen of which Peterson is probably the worst in the league.

stevieray
03-15-2006, 04:25 PM
nice carl-ism :)

If Seattle wanted to resign him initially, they would've.

Maybe they let the FA market determine his worth, as to not overpay him.

It's not that unusual that he stay put, just playing in the SB. In fact, I think that it the real determining factor here.

stevieray
03-15-2006, 04:27 PM
If things were only bought and nothing ever sold in this world everybody but farmers and toilet paper manufacters would be out of business. One of the biggest jobs of a GM is to be a salesmen of which Peterson is probably the worst in the league.

If people were so easily sold, there would only be one store.

It's no different than another company offering you the same job for more money, and your employer matching it to keep you on board.

NaptownChief
03-15-2006, 04:30 PM
If people were so easily sold, there would only be one store.

It's no different than another company offering you a job for more money, and your employer matching it to keep you on board.

People aren't always easily sold...that is why it is important to actually have talent at the GM position.

jspchief
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
It's too bad we didn't get him. Sucks even more that he seems to have signed for a fairly reasonable price.

NaptownChief
03-15-2006, 04:32 PM
It's too bad we didn't get him. Sucks even more that he seems to have signed for a fairly reasonable price.

No worries as I am sure Carl will get his man...He will trade picks for a player half as good but make up for it by paying him twice as much.

nychief
03-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I wonder where this leaves us with Dalton.

stevieray
03-15-2006, 04:37 PM
People aren't always easily sold...that is why it is important to actually have talent at the GM position.

what's important is that RB is responisble for his own choices.

NaptownChief
03-15-2006, 04:40 PM
what's important is that RB is responisble for his own choices.

And he appears to have just made a good one....Signing with a team that was in the Super Bowl just a few weeks ago versus signing with one that hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl since Noah was working on his ark.

Joe Seahawk
03-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Bye Bye Hutch..

Bernard to re-sign with Seattle | Subscribe

John Clayton of ESPN.com is reporting that Seattle has agreed to terms on a three-year, $13 million contract with DT Rocky Bernard. The deal is going to include a $5.4 million signing bonus, according to Clayton. Bernard emerged last season as a big-time interior pass rusher. He had 8 1/2 sacks through 11 games and added two more in the NFC title game. Clayton's story is here. Seattle's pass rush could get even stronger if the team lands Jets DE John Abraham. Seattle appears to be quite serious in its pursuit of Abraham, so don't be surprised if the Seahawks make something happen on that front as well. And with Julian Peterson on the way for a visit, it's clear the Seahawks are looking at ways to invest large amounts of available cap space.

nychief
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Sam Adams anyone? one year deal.

stevieray
03-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Signing with a team that was in the Super Bowl just a few weeks ago

I already said that. are you agreeing wirh me now?

NaptownChief
03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
I already said that. are you agreeing wirh me now?

We tend to agree most of the time except for when take shots/speak the truth about your beloved Carl Peterson.

stevieray
03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
We tend to agree most of the time except for when take shots/speak the truth about your beloved Carl Peterson.

My beloved Carl Peterson? I used RB and the Hawks as my basis.

You are the one using CP.

Just because I don't trash him, doesn't mean that I endorse every move he makes.

Coogs
03-15-2006, 08:41 PM
You don't suppose there was any chance CP brought in a FA just to keep the fan base "happy" do ya? Afterall, many were already giving it the ...

Damit Carl!!!! :banghead:

...after every FA signing.

And, they said a few days ago we wouldn't be signing anyone this FA period, but filling spots through the draft. Just a thought. :)

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 07:13 AM
And he appears to have just made a good one....Signing with a team that was in the Super Bowl just a few weeks ago versus signing with one that hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl since Noah was working on his ark.

Look at that.

Another excuse.

htismaqe
03-16-2006, 07:14 AM

Peterson is obviously a GREAT salesman.

No playoff wins in 14 years and yet the stadium is full EVERY Sunday.

I'd say he's the best salesman in the league, not even the Arizona fans buy that...