PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you raise your own meat?

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:13 PM
I was just curious if there are any of "you all", that raise your own meat.

I especially like the freshly killed bunny rabbit, bbq'd with some smokey wood like mesquite or hickory. I am thinking of roasting some Ducks and Geese soon as well. I have a batch of about 50 rock cornish cross that will be ready to have their heads cut in about 8 weeks, yum yum.

Can't wait.

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 05:15 PM
I prefer to have someone raise my meat for me ... unless I'm taking a piss, then I do it myself.

Short Leash Hootie
Is this REALLY a thread?

Calcountry
I prefer to have someone raise my meat for me ... unless I'm taking a piss, then I do it myself.Do you tenderize it first?

listopencil
03-15-2006, 05:16 PM
I raise my own meat several times a day. It's the getting it back down I need help with.

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Do you tenderize it first?
Does slobber count as tenderizer?

listopencil
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Is this REALLY a thread?

n00b

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I raise my own meat several times a day. It's the getting it back down I need help with.
Tub girl. Problem solved. You're welcome.

listopencil
03-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Tub girl. Problem solved. You're welcome.

You're right, it's back down now.

Calcountry
Does slobber count as tenderizer?Maybe a marinade....

4th and Long
You're right, it's back down now.
:D

Katipan
03-15-2006, 05:19 PM
do you really raise it to pee? i thought it just flopped out and you pointed it.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Fuggin perverts, I knew you fuggin depraved degenerates would disintigrate this serious discussion into shit like this, I just didn't think it would happen so fast. Fuggin sex starved degenerates. :D

Maybe you should try killing some Chickens.

oops, here come the choke your chicken comments.

sedated
03-15-2006, 05:23 PM
when was this ever a serious discussion?

you should expect it with that thread title...

Anyone Ever Suck Their Own Pole?
i meant flag pole, perverts

listopencil
03-15-2006, 05:24 PM
do you really raise it to pee? i thought it just flopped out and you pointed it.

It's an art and a science.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:24 PM

you should expect it with that thread title...Check your sarcasm meter.

Taco John
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM

I have to at least show the courtesy of getting it up into the bowl...

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM

you should expect it with that thread title...How should I have worded it?

No chit, I am game, if you all want to fug arround and make it a beat your meat kind of thread, fine.

I seriously am raising chickens to kill and bbq while there flesh is barely cooled down to room temperature.

Katipan
03-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I have to at least show the courtesy of getting it up into the bowl...

I'm just impressed yours doesn't dangle in the water.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:29 PM

you should expect it with that thread title...

Anyone Ever Suck Their Own Pole?
i meant flag pole, perverts What do flagpoles have to do with meat?

Taco John
03-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm just impressed yours doesn't dangle in the water.

Only when I poop...

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
When I was a kid, my Dad lived on a farm and he raised some cows and a pig. We ate them. Yummy.

That's all I've got.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:39 PM
When I was a kid, my Dad lived on a farm and he raised some cows and a pig. We ate them. Yummy.

That's all I've got.Here are some of the Chicks that I am going to cut in about 8 weeks.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:42 PM

That's all I've got.But you failed to mention whether you like dark or white meat? :D

SLAG
03-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I saw 2 Lambs Get Slaughered when I was in Amman, Jordan. The Butcher came over about 6am and slaughtered the Lambs , My 4yo sister and I watched and Video taped the Whole thing, He finnished everything up by around 7:30-8Am

It was awesome

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:46 PM
I saw 2 Lambs Get Slaughered when I was in Amman, Jordan. The Butcher came over about 6am and slaughtered the Lambs , My 4yo sister and I watched and Video taped the Whole thing, He finnished everything up by around 7:30-8Am

It was awesomeI hear that Abu musab dude does a similar thing, only with hostages. Hey, isn't he from Jordan?

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-15-2006, 05:52 PM
We have city ordinances that prohibit it here, but my uncle raises turkeys on his farm in Iowa. I usually go slaughter a few a couple of times a year. We've also twice slaughtered cows, I'm not in a big hurry to do that again.

Katipan
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Tell me Clarice have the l.ambs stopped screaming?

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Tell me Clarice have the l.ambs stopped screaming?Quid pro quo.

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 05:55 PM
But you failed to mention whether you like dark or white meat? :D
White meat, please. :p

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
We have city ordinances that prohibit it here, but my uncle raises turkeys on his farm in Iowa. I usually go slaughter a few a couple of times a year. We've also twice slaughtered cows, I'm not in a big hurry to do that again.This one dude on Survivor was hammering off Fish heads in a challenge. That is how I am going to pound these Chicken's heads when I cut em, POW!!!!!, without mercy.

It might be cleaner and with less mess if I hang em up by the foot and just bleed em out.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-15-2006, 06:05 PM
This one dude on Survivor was hammering off Fish heads in a challenge. That is how I am going to pound these Chicken's heads when I cut em, POW!!!!!, without mercy.

It might be cleaner and with less mess if I hang em up by the foot and just bleed em out.

I never got quite that much enjoyment out of it. :hmmm:

I remember the first time I ever did it I was about 12 yrs old. My uncle used a large steeple to fasten the turkey's neck to a tree stump, and all he had was an old dull hatchet, so it took multiple swings to get complete separation. It wasn't very pretty.

Cochise
03-15-2006, 06:07 PM

You know, if it lasts more than 4 hours you are supposed to seek medical attention.

morphius
03-15-2006, 06:09 PM
White meat, please. :p
I'm not sure who you are trying to pick up with this one, but I am sure I do not want to know.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 06:11 PM
I intend to eventually have 20-30 acres on which to raise 3-4 head of cattle for our own use, some hogs, chickens, and maybe some crops for our own use as well. Maybe.

I had never considered smoking rabbit. I had rabbits as a kid and we ate them every once in a while - usually fried.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
This is how it is done in mass. http://www.tryveg.com/img/gallery/chicken/slaughter1.jpg

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
I never got quite that much enjoyment out of it. :hmmm:

I remember the first time I ever did it I was about 12 yrs old. My uncle used a large steeple to fasten the turkey's neck to a tree stump, and all he had was an old dull hatchet, so it took multiple swings to get complete separation. It wasn't very pretty.Cruelest thing you can do is have dull knives.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I intend to eventually have 20-30 acres on which to raise 3-4 head of cattle for our own use, some hogs, chickens, and maybe some crops for our own use as well. Maybe.

I had never considered smoking rabbit. I had rabbits as a kid and we ate them every once in a while - usually fried.This is precisely why I am stoked about it. Not the enjoyment of the kill, but I have my space in the country to pursue this now. I am excited about it. It is something that I have always wanted to pursue.

HolmeZz
03-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeeeeeeahh, I couldn't kill/eat something I raised.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeeeeeeahh, I couldn't kill/eat something I raised.Its easy, just don't name it. Also, the whole time you are raising it, keep thinking about how great it will taste. Heck, its no different than cleaning the fish you just caught.

Iowanian
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
My family raises cattle and keep several fat calves back for family consumption.

I can remember being around butchering of cattle, hogs, chickens, turkeys as well as hunted game since I was probably 3. I'm sure I have told the story before about being 3.

They used to have the ban saw and working tools in the garage.

Many times, as a kid, we bottle fed a calf 3 times a day, pampered, fed, and after they made the desired weight, watched shot and butchered. It was never a big deal because "thats just the way it was".

I've never purchased very much meat to tell the truth.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
My family raises cattle and keep several fat calves back for family consumption.

I can remember being around butchering of cattle, hogs, chickens, turkeys as well as hunted game since I was probably 3. I'm sure I have told the story before about being 3.

They used to have the ban saw and working tools in the garage.

Many times, as a kid, we bottle fed a calf 3 times a day, pampered, fed, and after they made the desired weight, watched shot and butchered. It was never a big deal because "thats just the way it was".

I've never purchased very much meat to tell the truth.Do you raise your own feed grain for em as well?

HolmeZz
03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Its easy, just don't name it. Also, the whole time you are raising it, keep thinking about how great it will taste. Heck, its no different than cleaning the fish you just caught.

I guess I'm just a city boy.

Born and raised in south Detroit.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I guess I'm just a city boy.

Born and raised in south Detroit.Did you take the midnight train?....Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit
He took the midnight train goin' anywhere
A singer in a smokey room
A smell of wine and cheap perfume
For a smile they can share the night
It goes on and on and on and on
Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night
Working hard to get my fill,
everybody wants a thrill
Payin' anything to roll the dice,
just one more time
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on
(chorus)
Don't stop believin'
Hold on to the feelin'
Streetlight people

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure who you are trying to pick up with this one, but I am sure I do not want to know.
But ... but ... I heard you had dreamy bedroom eyes. chiefs4me says so.

morphius
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Its easy, just don't name it. Also, the whole time you are raising it, keep thinking about how great it will taste. Heck, its no different than cleaning the fish you just caught.
A girl I worked with's family used to always raise one call they called "beef", so that they knew not to get attached as they could the dairy cattle.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
But ... but ... I heard you had dreamy bedroom eyes. chiefs4me says so.ROFL:clap:

morphius
03-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Don't forget Badgirl, bowsers wife, Endelt, etc, etc...

Iowanian
03-15-2006, 07:03 PM
we don't do any grain farming anymore. We do have hay ground and pasture.

Its easy to get a wagon of grain, or even have it cracked and delivered by a local elevator.

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Don't forget Badgirl, bowsers wife, Endelt, etc, etc...
I didn't want to embarrass you.

morphius
03-15-2006, 07:06 PM
I didn't want to embarrass you.
eh, I'm not worried about that, you are not my type.

Calcountry
03-15-2006, 07:18 PM
we don't do any grain farming anymore. We do have hay ground and pasture.

Its easy to get a wagon of grain, or even have it cracked and delivered by a local elevator.You are a big time operator, I am use to dealing with the "backyard" farmer, 4Hers or FFA kids.

They have that kind of Feed operation arround here also, but I am not it. Just sacked feed. I am good in a pinch for some of the local ranchers who need milk replacer as well.

4th and Long
03-15-2006, 07:25 PM
eh, I'm not worried about that, you are not my type.
You mean I grew this "Planet Goatee" for nothing?

Spiteful bitch.

morphius
03-15-2006, 07:56 PM
You mean I grew this "Planet Goatee" for nothing?

Spiteful bitch.
See what happens when you try to fit in. But maybe you now have a chance with Mer.

Manila-Chief
03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
When I was seminary in K.C. North, we joined Guaranteed Foods and bought half a beef at a time from them. It was great to eat steak for the price of hamburger. Then a friend became pastor of a small church up North of K.C. One of his members grew cattle. We went together several times and bought a cow. The farmer took it to the local slaughter house, they killed it, cured it, and processed it for us. Was great to go to the freezer instead of the store for excellent beef.

Does anyone know if they still have places that does the slaughtering, curing and processing? There is a deer processing place in my home town, but don’t know if there are places for cattle? My son lives next to a pasture full of cows. I'd love to buy one from the farmer and have it processed. But, not sure where to have it processed????

Katipan
03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
See what happens when you try to fit in. But maybe you now have a chance with Mer.

I've been waiting for 1/2 a ****ing hour for that joke.

sheesh.

morphius
03-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I've been waiting for 1/2 a ****ing hour for that joke.

sheesh.
Hey, it was only a minute after he brought you up, plus the other ladies have actually seen me in person or in large pictures. Of which you can say neither. :P

listopencil
03-15-2006, 08:50 PM
You know, if it lasts more than 4 hours you are supposed to seek medical attention.

Every time? That could get expensive...

Iowanian
03-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know if they still have places that does the slaughtering, curing and processing? There is a deer processing place in my home town, but donít know if there are places for cattle? My son lives next to a pasture full of cows. I'd love to buy one from the farmer and have it processed. But, not sure where to have it processed????

I don't know about everywhere else, but there are lockers all over Iowa and northern Missouri that do it.

Some of them you can call and ask for a hog or a beef, and they have farmers on a list who raise them, and you can buy the beef/hog/sheep through them.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 08:51 PM
When I was seminary in K.C. North, we joined Guaranteed Foods and bought half a beef at a time from them. It was great to eat steak for the price of hamburger. Then a friend became pastor of a small church up North of K.C. One of his members grew cattle. We went together several times and bought a cow. The farmer took it to the local slaughter house, they killed it, cured it, and processed it for us. Was great to go to the freezer instead of the store for excellent beef.

Does anyone know if they still have places that does the slaughtering, curing and processing? There is a deer processing place in my home town, but donít know if there are places for cattle? My son lives next to a pasture full of cows. I'd love to buy one from the farmer and have it processed. But, not sure where to have it processed????
There has to be some of those places around. We used to take our pigs and cows to Leighton Iowa to be processed. My uncle was (is) a farmer and we'd usually split a cow or a hog a couple times a year. It was $200 for the cow (1/2) and the processing 20 years ago. I'll bet it's $800-1000 now.

nychief
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
who here beats there own meat?

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM

For the most part it's no longer cost-efficient to have a butcher cut and package the meat even if you provide the cow. The packinghouses these days are so efficient that it's cheaper to just buy it in the grocery store.

Phobia
03-15-2006, 08:54 PM
For the most part it's no longer cost-efficient to have a butcher cut and package the meat even if you provide the cow. The packinghouses these days are so efficient that it's cheaper to just buy it in the grocery store.

No way. That's hard to believe.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-15-2006, 08:57 PM
who here beats there own meat?

I do, usually with one of these.
http://www.casawares.co.uk/dyn/product_819.jpg

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-15-2006, 09:00 PM
No way. That's hard to believe.

Way. Have you ever seen a modern packinghouse in operation?

Phobia
03-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Way. Have you ever seen a modern packinghouse in operation?
Sure. I used to sanitize for Hormel as a kid.

I still find it hard to believe that if you provide your own cow slicing it up and wrapping it costs more than the prices you pay in the store....

Plus, you know what went into your own cow - which is a big plus for lots of people.

morphius
03-15-2006, 10:02 PM

I still find it hard to believe that if you provide your own cow slicing it up and wrapping it costs more than the prices you pay in the store....

Plus, you know what went into your own cow - which is a big plus for lots of people.
Yeah, I would imagine a lot less people deer hunting if that was the case.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-15-2006, 10:19 PM

I won't dispute that it's hard to believe as I had trouble believing it myself. A few years back my uncle had a cow that had broken it's leg and would have little market value, and of course that was my first thought as well and he said it's not worth it so we butchered it ourselves. This is coming from someone who has around 100 cattle on his farm, but buys his beef at the store. I would assume he knows what he's talking about.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I would imagine a lot less people deer hunting if that was the case.

Different story. There's not too many ultra-efficient deer packinghouses out there to compete with.

dr00d
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
bwhaha, as soon as I saw the title, I knew this thread was going to the gutter.

Guru
03-15-2006, 10:24 PM

I especially like the freshly killed bunny rabbit, bbq'd with some smokey wood like mesquite or hickory. I am thinking of roasting some Ducks and Geese soon as well. I have a batch of about 50 rock cornish cross that will be ready to have their heads cut in about 8 weeks, yum yum.

Can't wait.

SICK MAN JUST SICK :harumph:

Iowanian
03-16-2006, 12:12 PM
what bugeater isn't telling you, is that when you have your own beef worked up, your costs for that beef, is the food and medicine to raise it. Buying your beef/pork through a packing house, you're buying a markup on what THEY paid for it as well as processing, and the most important part....you don't KNOW what you're getting.

Raising our own beef, we know precisely what the blood line of the animal is, control how it is fed (how fat is it), what chemicals and or growth hormones do or do not get put into the animal.....whereas through the packing house, you may be buying that cow that broke its hip, was too old to produce, was a mangy nag et al.

In short, if your steer was born paid for, you only give it natural protein through alfalfa, do not inplant growth hormone, corn feed it for 120 days, and only pay for the locker fee.....its Still Cheaper than buying it at the store.

Calcountry
03-16-2006, 12:33 PM
who here beats there own meat?Maybe you should start a thread about it. :shake:

Calcountry
03-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Plus, you know what went into your own cow - which is a big plus for lots of people.Happy cows make happy meat.

Calcountry
03-16-2006, 12:37 PM
SICK MAN JUST SICK :harumph:The update is, I just sold all 50 of those Chicks to someone else who is going to do it.

I will have to buy another 50 next week. ;)

MOhillbilly
03-16-2006, 12:51 PM
yes but not on the level that once was or will soon be.

Hog Farmer
03-16-2006, 01:22 PM
what bugeater isn't telling you, is that when you have your own beef worked up, your costs for that beef, is the food and medicine to raise it. Buying your beef/pork through a packing house, you're buying a markup on what THEY paid for it as well as processing, and the most important part....you don't KNOW what you're getting.

Raising our own beef, we know precisely what the blood line of the animal is, control how it is fed (how fat is it), what chemicals and or growth hormones do or do not get put into the animal.....whereas through the packing house, you may be buying that cow that broke its hip, was too old to produce, was a mangy nag et al.

In short, if your steer was born paid for, you only give it natural protein through alfalfa, do not inplant growth hormone, corn feed it for 120 days, and only pay for the locker fee.....its Still Cheaper than buying it at the store.

Yes, you are correct. But tthe market price is dictated by the packers, I remember back in 98 when hogs were selling for .08 cents per pound. It cost producers about .40 cents per pound to produce the animal, at that time you would be better off buying your pork in the store than raising and killing our own. It 100% depends on the market conditions.
Cows on the other hand, I have five, started with a bull and heifer, they just keep multiplying and I don,t put any money into them. And I've carried two to the butcher.

Inspector
03-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I like a variety of different meats, especially smoked or BBq'd.

If I had to kill them myself (or even see it happen), I'd be learning to BBQ brocolli and carrots, I guess.

Not good with the killing part. I still haven't gotten over what I did to my first wife.

Skip Towne
03-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Maybe you should start a thread about it. :shake:
Nah, he and gochiefs are the only ones interested.

StcChief
03-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Like local grown Beef, Pork, Chicken whenever possible.

Not zoned Ag...

Skip Towne
03-16-2006, 01:44 PM
We used to raise our own beef. Not only was it cheaper but the taste is much better. Store beef is tasteless by comparison.

MOhillbilly
03-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, you are correct. But tthe market price is dictated by the packers, I remember back in 98 when hogs were selling for .08 cents per pound. It cost producers about .40 cents per pound to produce the animal, at that time you would be better off buying your pork in the store than raising and killing our own. It 100% depends on the market conditions.
Cows on the other hand, I have five, started with a bull and heifer, they just keep multiplying and I don,t put any money into them. And I've carried two to the butcher.

or you can just process your own hog cure your own ham,bacon,sausage and render your own lard.

its way way easier than a steer.(then you already knew that)

MOhillbilly
03-16-2006, 01:51 PM

If I had to kill them myself (or even see it happen), I'd be learning to BBQ brocolli and carrots, I guess.

Not good with the killing part. I still haven't gotten over what I did to my first wife.

the killing is easy once you get to the eating.

if it ever came down to you and your children eating or Ferdinan living think youd still have the same attitude?

(yes im sure you can buy it at the store ect. blah blah balh)

Skip Towne
03-16-2006, 01:54 PM

if it ever came down to you and your children eating or Ferdinan living think youd still have the same attitude?

(yes im sure you can buy it at the store ect. blah blah balh)
I figured you ate gopher and groundhog like your Beverly Hills relatives.

Hog Farmer
03-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Killing animals is great fun. People used to do it for food, cause they had to.
Then came the day you could buy it at the store, so people declared it a sport .

MOhillbilly
03-16-2006, 02:05 PM
I figured you ate gopher and groundhog like your Beverly Hills relatives.
ive eaten some strange shit but the closest ive ever gotten to eating rodent on any level is treerat.

and dont lie skip ya ol opposum eatin hippy.

times were hard back in the winter of 79'....... werent they.

chiefs4me
03-16-2006, 05:34 PM

very much so..:D

Manila-Chief
03-16-2006, 08:21 PM

What does it cost you to get them butchered? And, did they cure it for you?

I remember my Dad butchering hogs we raised when I was in grade school. I remember the adults waiting and watching for "hog killing weather." He preserved the meat in a "salt box."

Yep, that is how the old settlers got their meat, cooking oil, etc.

Calcountry
03-16-2006, 08:52 PM

(yes im sure you can buy it at the store ect. blah blah balh)These fuggin yuppies arround here are so spoiled.

I get this question, "What kind of chickens are those?"

answer, "meat birds", they respond, gasp!, well, my grandpa use to do it or something like that.

It's a good think y2k was a hoax, otherwise these fuggers would have starved.

The other question I get a lot, is, "Are these Chickens just for Easter"? To which I respond, "No, they are for the frying pan."

30 years ago, the store was a traditional feed store, and the town agricultural in nature. Now it is one of many valley towns that have become a bedroom community, growing single family homes where once it grew tomatos. We sell a lot of pet stuff, but, my heart is more feed store than all that pet shit.

Skip Towne
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
These fuggin yuppies arround here are so spoiled.

I get this question, "What kind of chickens are those?"

answer, "meat birds", they respond, gasp!, well, my grandpa use to do it or something like that.

It's a good think y2k was a hoax, otherwise these fuggers would have starved.

The other question I get a lot, is, "Are these Chickens just for Easter"? To which I respond, "No, they are for the frying pan."

30 years ago, the store was a traditional feed store, and the town agricultural in nature. Now it is one of many valley towns that have become a bedroom community, growing single family homes where once it grew tomatos. We sell a lot of pet stuff, but, my heart is more feed store than all that pet shit.
How long have you owned the store?

greg63
03-16-2006, 11:25 PM

Can't wait.

My next door neighbor has four or five rabbit traps next to the east side of his house and they are constantly occupied.

My wife and I are currently raising our own cow at the father-in-law's farm. :D

Guru
03-16-2006, 11:42 PM
My next door neighbor has four or five rabbit traps next to the east side of his house and they are constantly occupied.

My wife and I are currently raising our own cow and the father-in-law's farm. :D

You are raising your father-in-law's farm? Damn!!!!

greg63
03-16-2006, 11:49 PM
You are raising your father-in-law's farm? Damn!!!!
ROFL
Yeah it's really heavy.

Calcountry
03-17-2006, 03:42 PM
How long have you owned the store?Too long.

kc-nd
03-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I grew up on the farm. I know the process quite well.

We fed grain and hay to a steer so that we would have more meat.

Then we shot the steer, not in the meat, but in the head (since it was not like deer hunting - the steer would just stand there and stare at you).

Then we skinned our meat.

Then we delivered our meat to the butcher.

Then, the butcher hung our meat on some big hook to age it.

Then, some time later, the butcher cut our meat into several pieces, and wrapped it in freezer paper. He also labeled our meat.

Then, the butcher frooze our meat.

Then, we picked up up our meat and drove it home.

Then, we put our meat in the freezer.

Then, one day, we took our meat out of the freezer, unthawed it and cooked it at 180 degrees for 40 minutes (or whatever).

Then we ate our meat.

Then, when we ate almost all of our meat, we butchered another steer (definition in dictionary) and started the process all over again.

That's it. Not hard to forget.

Hog Rider
03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
We used to ping ole Piglet in the "think think think" and he'd drop like a turd on the lawn. Skin 'em, cut 'em up and divy out to the neighbors all the parts we didn't want. Usually not much left but the pool of blood. The dogs and cats took a lick at that for a while, till they got sick of it.

Calcountry
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Update: I killed and dressed a 27.5 pound Turkey.

I am seriously looking forward to fresh raised tryptophan tomorrow.

That, and a seriously huge plate of deviled eggs laid in the past 2 days.

YUmmmm. :)

Stewie
11-22-2006, 01:21 PM
t-phan making one sleepy is true, BUT you'd have to eat about 50 lbs. of meat to make you sleepy. It's overeating that makes one tired. Cool on the kill, though.