View Full Version : Merrill: Bernard, Allen, Huard, Hodge & Bo

Wile_E_Coyote
03-16-2006, 04:32 AM
CHIEFS NOTEBOOK

Chiefs lose out on Seattle tackle

Bernard agrees to a deal to remain with Seahawks

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

He came, he was put up at a posh hotel on the Plaza, and by Wednesday morning, Rocky Bernard had jetted out of Kansas City and his agent was busy hammering out a deal.
With Seattle.

And so ended half of the Chiefs’ first miniwave of free-agency, with Bernard, a coveted defensive tackle for the Seahawks, sticking with his old team after a three-year agreement was reached.

“We’re not going to make any comment on whether or not the Chiefs offered,” said Steve Caric, a spokesman for Premier Sports Management. “He’s going back to Seattle.”

The Chiefs had been content to watch other teams spend money in the first few days of free-agency, but they did have two defensive free agents in this week. Bernard is off the board, but Giants cornerback Will Allen is still a possibility.

Allen, reached by cell phone Wednesday night, said he had left Kansas City and declined to say whether he had received a contract offer.

Bernard and Allen represented two of the Chiefs’ biggest needs in free-agency, as Kansas City cut longtime starting cornerback Eric Warfield earlier this month and have been searching for pass-rush help.

But the Chiefs did secure one immediate need Wednesday as veteran quarterback Damon Huard agreed to a one-year deal worth about $750,000. Huard, at least for now, will move up a spot as the Chiefs’ No. 2 quarterback. On Tuesday, Kansas City lost longtime backup Todd Collins, who signed with Washington.

■ HODGE ROBBERY VICTIM: It started with a late-night hankering for waffles and ended with cracks that Alphonso Hodge was the king of bling.

And Hodge’s agent, Ken Harris, isn’t happy about it.

Harris’ phone has been ringing ever since word hit that Hodge, a rookie cornerback for the Chiefs last season, was recently robbed during a late-night trip to the Waffle House in Atlanta.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, citing police documents, reported that at about 4:45 a.m. on March 6, a man allegedly pulled out a .38-caliber revolver and, along with two other men, took $8,500 in cash, diamond earrings valued at $12,000, a $20,000 bracelet, a $6,000 watch and his Hummer2 valued at about $90,000.

The report raised eyebrows in part because Hodge, a fifth-round draft pick, isn’t exactly on the high end of the NFL pay scale. He received a signing bonus of $128,750 in 2005. Activated in late November, he earned less than half of the rookie minimum salary of $230,000.

“Alphonso has been putting money away better than a lot of rookies I know,” Harris said. “Frankly, his investments are between him and his financial planner.”

Harris said Hodge told him that the earrings were a gift in college and that there was a discrepancy in the amount of cash he was carrying. The Hummer2 was eventually recovered, Harris said, and the person driving it was wearing Hodge’s jewelry.

The Journal-Constitution reported Wednesday that police have caught the man who allegedly held up Hodge.

■ TAMPA BAY CALLING: Free-agent receiver Marc Boerigter will visit Tampa Bay on Friday and is scheduled to be in Green Bay on Sunday.
The Star’s Adam Teicher contributed to this report.
<HR class=tagline color=#cccccc SIZE=1>

Dunit35
03-16-2006, 07:01 AM
I wonder if Hodge really was carrying that much cash. It sounds like he spent all of his signing bonus on stupid crap.

John_Wayne
03-16-2006, 08:25 AM
I wonder if Hodge really was carrying that much cash. It sounds like he spent all of his signing bonus on stupid crap.

.......... they usually do. Derrick Thomas was almost broke when he died.

FAX
03-16-2006, 08:27 AM
.......... they usually do. Derrick Thomas was almost broke when he died.

Really, Mr. Gunther_Fan? I didn't know that.

You learn some interesting stuff on this board.

FAX

PastorMikH
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Well, we miss out on the FAs we were chasing so much that we didn't even call any others in to talk to, then we re-sign Huard. Sounds like things are progressing as normal.

:rolleyes:

FAX
03-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Well, we miss out on the FAs we were chasing so much that we didn't even call any others in to talk to, then we re-sign Huard. Sounds like things are progressing as normal.

:rolleyes:

If I was a free agent, I would talk to the Chiefs, Mr. PastorMikH.

They put you up at a really nice hotel, buy you lunch and dinner, and you don't have to commit to anything.

FAX

PastorMikH
03-16-2006, 08:42 AM
If I was a free agent, I would talk to the Chiefs, Mr. PastorMikH.

They put you up at a really nice hotel, buy you lunch and dinner, and you don't have to commit to anything.

FAX

And they help you get more $ at your next job.

Chan93lx50
03-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Huard :Lin:

This year in FA has been a joke!

Cave Johnson
03-16-2006, 08:53 AM
“We’re not going to make any comment on whether or not the Chiefs offered,” said Steve Caric, a spokesman for Premier Sports Management. “He’s going back to Seattle.”

Translation: We didn't make him an offer.

BigChiefFan
03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
I don't think Bill Bellichek could coach up our crappy ass defense. I just don't understand the mentality of resting on your laurels and that's what is appears the front office is doing.

What really surprises me, is they want a YES vote for the new stadium issue and they still haven't addressed the defense-thanks ,Lamar!

beavis
03-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Translation: We didn't make him an offer.
Why would his agent make him an offer?

Cave Johnson
03-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Why would his agent make him an offer?

I thought the pronoun was obvious, but.... we refers to the Chiefs.

BigChiefFan
03-16-2006, 09:23 AM
By definition not offering a contract IS PARADING a FREE AGENT for image concerns. This is exactly what Laz was talking about yesterday.

jlscorpio
03-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I may be the only person who feels this way, but I hate to lose Bo

Coogs
03-16-2006, 10:41 AM
By definition not offering a contract IS PARADING a FREE AGENT for image concerns. This is exactly what Laz was talking about yesterday.

Exactly! I got blasted for saying as much a couple of days ago, but I agree totally.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-16-2006, 11:25 AM
If Benard & Allen was the best they could get for the parade, why bother

go bowe
03-16-2006, 11:31 AM
I may be the only person who feels this way, but I hate to lose Bome too... :deevee:

Mr. Laz
03-16-2006, 11:40 AM

you are hearby hired as my planet PR representative ...

sic'em :)

RedThat
03-16-2006, 11:48 AM

Is it just me? Or did I recall yesterday that Teichers article said, "the Chiefs might/may make an offer to Bernard and Allen soon".

Now we're hearing that these guys are declining to comment as whether the Chiefs made an offer or not!

:rolleyes: Whatever. This is bullsh*t. The Chiefs did not make an offer. They paraded them.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-16-2006, 11:54 AM
maybe they were just ringers brought in for a domino tourney