PDA

View Full Version : News Flash: Hip Hop Continues to Suck

Bob Dole
03-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Dateline Los Angeles, March 16th

Called by one major L.A. producer "the new Rock'n'Roll", Hip Hop continues to plumb new depths of repetitiveness, mind-numbing fecklessness, and ulcer-generating pseudo-machismo.

Still referring to itself as "music", and still being touted as such - even though nobody in it can sing or actually play an instrument - Hip Hop is thriving, by staying doggedly loyal to its tried-and-true themes:

1. The acquisition of obscene material wealth without effort, most often by"pimping".
2. The expenditure of said wealth on over-priced, hoary jewelry (particularly large glittery necklaces that revolve).
3. The use of violence to resolve conflicts as a first resort.
4. The outspoken appraisal of women based upon the volume, (given in cubic meters) of their glutteous maximii.

The recent Oscar win for the Best Original Song, given to "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp", has infused the aspiring audience of Hip-Hop listeners - principally twelve-to-seventeen-year-old suburban white males, according to Billboard magazine - with new enthusiasm for profiting from the sale of their female counterparts, presumably to each other, for purposes of sexual gratification. Actual income achieved by this service-sector business remains rather low, though, because these are exactly the sort of mouth-breathing, pretentious, and personality-challenged males who don't actually know any girls.

This obstacle doesn't seem to dull their enthusiasm, though, as they continue weekly to shovel their allowances into the coffers of "producers" such as Diddy, the chinless, vacant-eyed mogul who can be seen standing in the background in every Hip-Hop video, waving his arms and looking mildly sedated, for which brilliant theatrics he receives 50% of the video's royalties.

It occurs to the thoughtful listener to wonder "Why did all the musicians of past Pop Music history not climb aboard this lucrative boat?" Why, for instance, didn't the Beatles produce album after album of identical songs about how rich they were, how many girls they were "pimping out", and how cool it was that the hubcaps on their cars actually kept spinning around when the car stopped? "Let It Be"? The White Album? What were they thinking?

No matter, the influence and sheer production output of Hip Hop continues to climb, approaching critical mass, partly because it is so lucrative, but mostly because it requires very little actual time and effort... So how can you, the aspiring musician, cash in on this treasure trove? Simple. Anyone can achieve Hip-Hop stardom, so long as you are obnoxiously self-important, enjoy talking about yourself, and never shut the Hell up. This is important to your Hip-Hop success; you must achieve the ability to ramble on endlessly, kind of like a TV Evangelist - with the subtle difference being that you must pretend you have already got money and a big-butted girlfriend, while the Evangelist pretends he doesn't. Oh, and toss that guitar out the window. You won't be needing it. You're a musician now.

Source (http://www.texarkanarocks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11364)

StcChief
03-16-2006, 09:19 AM
cRAP - what is was when it came out, just got worse.

DMAC
03-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe now they will all turn their hats the right way.

MOhillbilly
03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Hip Hop is the WWE of the Music world. Almost as gay as when Vince Niel called out someother buttrocker on MTV.

StcChief
03-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Maybe now they will all turn their hats the right way.

We don't want them to do that.... It might raise their IQ 20 points.

mcan
03-16-2006, 12:57 PM
There's a lot of generalizing going on here...

Yeah, hip-hop for the most part really sucks. But it's not for the lyrical CONTENT of the songs, it's for the lack of musicality in most of it. Remember, even the Beatles had a song called "Run For Your Life" which threated to shoot a girl dead.

Also, one look at the age of all the people going to the sold out shows of the big rappers out there proves that it isn't just little boys' music. Almost everybody I know likes hiphop, and I'm in college, and hang out with mostly people who have recently graduated, or are just finishing up. Most are musical illiterates, but lets face it... So is most of the country.

The last, and probably biggest, point to make clear is that EVERY single generation holds onto their own music and snubs the new stuff, every single time a change of the guard is in order. They said the same thing when they first heard blues (black people music), Jazz (direspectful of the instrument), Swing (too simple, too sexual), Boogie Woogie (Trashy, perverse), Rock and Roll (mindless noise, too sexual)... The list goes on and on, and up to hip hop and grunge, and now EMO which has just about put the fork in rock and roll.

The one thing that is ALWAYS said by those who resist the change is "All the songs sound the same." Sound a whole lot like "all those Chinise people look alike..."? It does to me. So, even if the article absolutely right, and hip hop REALLY IS, on some objective scale, the equivelent to musical garbage... Well, it's here to stay for awhile and right now, it's king of the hill. Instead of complaining about how much the king sucks, why don't we start a revolution and depose the fukcer?

mcan
03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
BTW

This is yet another great example of a thread that would be over 100 posts by now and really generate a lot heated discussion if it were in The Lounge... But alas, only 40 people have even cared to look at this, and most of them don't want to wast the time to type an opinion that won't be read by anybody... So they think about what they would say and just click back over to the lounge. A couple days later, they'll think, "I wonder if anybody ever posted anything on that cool thread about rap music" and they'll look back over here and read the TWO new posts, but they won't have to search for the thread or anything because it'll just be sitting casually about five threads down the page...

patteeu
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
BTW

This is yet another great example of a thread that would be over 100 posts by now and really generate a lot heated discussion if it were in The Lounge... But alas, only 40 people have even cared to look at this, and most of them don't want to wast the time to type an opinion that won't be read by anybody... So they think about what they would say and just click back over to the lounge. A couple days later, they'll think, "I wonder if anybody ever posted anything on that cool thread about rap music" and they'll look back over here and read the TWO new posts, but they won't have to search for the thread or anything because it'll just be sitting casually about five threads down the page...

Be careful there, you might hurt Bob Dole's feelings.

Reaper16
03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
BTW

I'm actually sick of dealing with this idiotic subject, so I'm declining to post further on this thread, with special exception if I feel like it. My prediction: the article in question was written by DomerNKC, and nearly 80% of the responses will be factually incorrect and moronic to the point of being pain-inducing.

Katipan
03-16-2006, 02:37 PM
The moral of the story is that hip hop is so easy that anyone can do it.

I really don't think the people buying hip hop give a crap.

MOhillbilly
03-16-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm actually sick of dealing with this idiotic subject, so I'm declining to post further on this thread, with special exception if I feel like it. My prediction: the article in question was written by DomerNKC, and nearly 80% of the responses will be factually incorrect and moronic to the point of being pain-inducing.

most "gangsta" rap is bought by white youth in the burbs.

that raised the bar abit.

wutamess
03-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Very well said mcan.

About it being here for a while. It's just that the older "unhip" generation simply don't understand it so they knock it. I listen to nothing but hiphop and hate some of it myself. But who am I to say that just because I don't like a certain type of hiphop that it's all whack or that someone else should feel/think the same as I.

When my mother was coming up... she said that the elder generation shunned her 60's & 70's soul jamsa as well as MoTowns R&B. Now it's hiphops turn to get shunned by my mothers (older) generation and beyond. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be headed in the same direction once I hear my kids playing a song comrised of nothing but repetitive "suck my dik bitch" lyrics in a song (as I fear that's the next shocking step for music in general).

But the more I look at it... we used to love Too Shorts' Freaky Tales, Ice Tea's 5 in the morning, Easy E's Easier said than done etc. And I was less than 10 years old at the time. (Those were the days).

Besides... even though there's plenty of hiphop songs/groups that speak of nothing but filth, there's also plenty of songs/groups that do nothing but educate and or enlighten people through their music.

Life story rappers: For instance Jay-Z (2nd best to Biggie) became the rapper he is by telling his life story in all of his CD's. That's why they're named Volumes I-III etc. The Game. Tupac did the same and so on.

Educational rappers: The Roots, Mos Def, RassKass, Tupac, Public Enemy etc.

People like 50, Mike Jones, and grille singing rappers do nothing for the art and quite frankly get on my nerves also. It's like they create nothing but gangs in a culture that's to be enjoyed by all.

~One of the lurkers on this thread.

MOhillbilly
03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Educational rappers: The Roots, Mos Def, RassKass, Tupac, Public Enemy etc.

KRS-1 is the best of that genre imo.

|Zach|
03-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I just think it is a bit stale as a genre. There is a lot of good work being done at the top but it really tails off after that IMO.

wutamess
03-16-2006, 03:29 PM
KRS-1 is the best of that genre imo.

You don't know how hard I was trying to think of him while I was naming educational rappers.

I totally agree.

wutamess
03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I just think it is a bit stale as a genre. There is a lot of good work being done at the top but it really tails off after that IMO.

That's agreeable.
I tend to stay more main stream hip hop unless I find something underground that I really like. Like Dead Prez... I love their revolutionary but gangster cd. Some people think their first album was a classic.

Kanye's first albumwas a classic and actually the best hiphop verse I've ever heard was on his album (Song: Never Let you Down) and that was sung by a poet by the name of Saul Williams.

Let me see if I can hunt down the lyrics...

We are all here for a reason on a particular path
You don't need a curriculum to know that you are part of the math
Cats think I'm delirious, but I'm so damn serious
That's why I expose my soul to the globe, the world
I'm trying to make it better for these little boys and girls
I'm not just another individual, my spirit is a part of this
That's why it's spiritual, but I get my hymns from Him
So it's not me, it's He that's lyrical
I'm not a miracle, I'm a heaven-sent instrument
My rhythmatic regiment navigates melodic notes for your soul and your mental
That's why I'm instrumental
Vibrations is what I'm into
Yeah, I need my loot by rent day
But that is not what gives me the heart of Kunta Kinte
I'm tryina give us "us free" like Cinque
I can't stop, that's why I'm hot
Determination, dedication, motivation
I'm talking to you of my many inspirations
When I say that I can't let you or self down
If I were on the highest cliff, on the highest reef
And you slipped off the side and clinched on to your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down
And when these words are found
Let it been known that God's penmanship has been signed with a language called love
That's why my breath is felt by the deaf
And while my words are hardly confined to the ears of the blind
I, too, dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cuz whenever I open my heart, my soul, or my mouth
A touch of God reigns out.

NewChief
03-16-2006, 04:18 PM
That's agreeable.
I tend to stay more main stream hip hop unless I find something underground that I really like. Like Dead Prez... I love their revolutionary but gangster cd. Some people think their first album was a classic.

Kanye's first albumwas a classic and actually the best hiphop verse I've ever heard was on his album (Song: Never Let you Down) and that was sung by a poet by the name of Saul Williams.

Saul Williams is the shit. A lot of people might be familiar with him from the movie "Slam" which is about his life. He has a "mix tape" LP out there for free download that is just freaking awesome. Has a bunch of his verse over some other songs (Dead Prez, Jr. Marley, etc). Let's Get Free by Dead Prez was excellent. Common's Be was a great album. Black Star has a new project coming out, I'll be glad to see Mos Def get away from the Black Jack Johnson project, and Talib is the shit. There is an absolute ton of excellent hip hop out there, it's just not on the air.

wutamess
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Saul Williams is the shit. A lot of people might be familiar with him from the movie "Slam" which is about his life. He has a "mix tape" LP out there for free download that is just freaking awesome. Has a bunch of his verse over some other songs (Dead Prez, Jr. Marley, etc). Let's Get Free by Dead Prez was excellent. Common's Be was a great album. Black Star has a new project coming out, I'll be glad to see Mos Def get away from the Black Jack Johnson project, and Talib is the shit. There is an absolute ton of excellent hip hop out there, it's just not on the air.

WHOAH!
Where in the hell did you come from?
I see we have another hiphophead on the planet right up under our very nose.

Got both of Saul's projects. Didn't really care for either of them.

Black jack johnson project? I didn't care for his New Danger album either. Mos' album before that is a near classic IMO. Didn't really care for Black Star because somehow I can't get over Talib's voice.

Having said that... You wouldn't know where I can get the Wu-Tang Clans double cd disc (Wu Tang Forever, came out back in like 97ish) would you? I've been wanting to listen to a couple of songs from that cd for a while now.

wutamess
03-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Found it here: http://thecouchsessions.com/articles/001108.shtml

NewChief
03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Black jack johnson project? I didn't care for his New Danger album either. Mos' album before that is a near classic IMO. Didn't really care for Black Star because somehow I can't get over Talib's voice.

The New Danger album was sort of an extension of the BJJ project. It was a great concept, sort of a black rocker super group.
[/quote=VH1 website]
He simultaneously worked on the Black Jack Johnson project with several iconic black musicians: keyboardist Bernie Worrell (Parliament/Funkadelic), guitarist Dr. Know (Bad Brains), drummer Will Calhoun (Living Colour), and bassist Doug Wimbish (the Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Living Colour).
[/quote]
Unfortunately, it wasn't that great. New Danger is very similar to the BJJ stuff.

Having said that... You wouldn't know where I can get the Wu-Tang Clans double cd disc (Wu Tang Forever, came out back in like 97ish) would you? I've been wanting to listen to a couple of songs from that cd for a while now.

Man, you know, I was never a huge Wu Tang fan. I sort of got out of hip hop for a while when they were really big. I was heavy into it through the whole Native Tongue type stuff with Jungle Bros, Tribe, Black Sheep, Digable Planets, Das Efx, etc.. then got back into it against shortly after Wu wasn't really doing much anymore. So, short answer, I don't know where you can get it.

ZootedGranny
03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
"I met a critic, I made her shit her drawers
She said she thought hip-hop was only guns and alcohol
I said "Oh hell naw!" but yet it's that too
You can't discrimi-hate cause you done read a book or two"

-Andre 3000

Mainstream hip-hop as a whole is currently undefendable, but the same problems that plague rap also affect other genres. With nearly any sort of music, real innovations and movements are being done by the underground.

Every time hip-hop music is trashed, the same complaints are brought up: they don't play their own instruments, they talk about the same thing every track, etc. When examples of rappers or groups are brought up that counter those points, the poster completely ignores it and continues to be ignorant of the music as a whole, instead deciding to let the mainstream dictate his opinion.

|Zach|
03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Black Jack Johnson...NYC.

R-O-C-K-I-N-G.

Earth and moon, starts and the planets...

Before its all you done ya'll gon understand it...

Demonpenz
03-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Wu tang still cuts me with their lyrics. Like tiny stabs.

CHENZ A!
03-17-2006, 02:17 AM
If I were on the highest cliff, on the highest reef
And you slipped off the side and clinched on to your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down
And when these words are found
Let it been known that God's penmanship has been signed with a language called love
That's why my breath is felt by the deaf
And while my words are hardly confined to the ears of the blind
I, too, dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cuz whenever I open my heart, my soul, or my mouth
A touch of God reigns out(echo's).

This is one of my favorite verses, I respect Sauls's poetry, but I wouldn't ride around and bump his solo LP, except "Telegram". As for Kanye, I like him because he is different, and very clever, plus makes hisbeats himself and is good at it- a true musician. Jay-Z= the greatest of all time, body of work surpasses the other 3(Pac,BIG,NAS).. Wu Tang is still untouchable, the album back in '97 was Wu Tang Forever, double LP, classic... Triumph was the joint. as for Eminem(because I know his name will be brought up) he is 1 of the top 5 lyricists alive in my opinion.

in no particular order:

2Pac
B.I.G.
Nas
Eminem
Jay-Z

(selfish plug for newcomer of the yr.)= Chamillionaire

CHENZ A!
03-17-2006, 02:21 AM
"Mainstream hip-hop as a whole is currently undefendable, but the same problems that plague rap also affect other genres. With nearly any sort of music, real innovations and movements are being done by the underground"

I agree for the most part, but everyone that considers themself a "music fan" should appreciate either of Kanye's albums.

CHENZ A!
03-17-2006, 02:25 AM
non ono nono, this verse is from a cat named J Ivey(John Legend mentions him), I don't remember him, except from def poetry jam... not Saul Williams, although he is good

ChiefsfaninPA
03-17-2006, 06:35 AM
I bomb atomically, Socrates philosophies and hypothesis can't describe how I be dropping these mockaries, lyrically perform arm robberies, flee with the lottery, possibly they spotted me................

patteeu
03-17-2006, 07:00 AM
I like rap for the beat and the rhymes, but like with most music, I usually don't understand wtf the vocalist is saying unless I read the liner notes and even then I often don't have a clue what he/she's talking about.

CHENZ A!
03-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Wu tang still cuts me with their lyrics. Like tiny stabs.

WTF is goin' on? I can't go to sleep, Feds jumpin' out they jeeps, I can't go to sleep, babies wit flies on they cheeks, it's hard to go to sleep...

Reaper16
03-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't sleep on Tech N9ne. Few emcees have his skillset. At his best, he's in the top three living emcees. (Along with Nas and Jay-Z, in that order)

NewChief
03-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Don't sleep on Tech N9ne. Few emcees have his skillset. At his best, he's in the top three living emcees. (Along with Nas and Jay-Z, in that order)

This one always gets me. I'm going to have to check out some of his stuff to see if he's really that good, or if he just gets to much love around here because it's a KC board.

CHENZ A!
03-17-2006, 10:12 AM

I've seen Tech in concert a bunch, and he puts on a great live show... but even though I'm a big fan, I wouldn't mention him with any of those guys. to me he is a different genre altogether.

patteeu
03-17-2006, 10:35 AM
This one always gets me. I'm going to have to check out some of his stuff to see if he's really that good, or if he just gets to much love around here because it's a KC board.

He's a super fast talker, that's for sure. And he uses a heavy beat and a hard rock sound that I like a lot.

ZootedGranny
03-17-2006, 02:38 PM

He is not nearly that good. I really like Tech, though, and Anghellic is a personal classic.

wutamess
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM

It's the K.C. homerisms in'em.
Not close to the top IMO.

Pops out a couple of good songs a CD that gets locla play but hasn't really WOW'd me at all.

Sorta like 3-6 mafia was to the Memphis area when I went to school 95-99 in Jackson, TN.

Reaper16
03-17-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't see it as homerism. I don't think that there are any people alive sans Nas and Jay that are better than Tech at his best. He's like Nas in that there are a bunch of filler tracks on his records, but is amazing at his best. (While Jay is the very picture of consistancy) Give Tech some real producers and he will blow up the entire effing world, this I swear to you.

Ebolapox
03-18-2006, 01:18 PM
eh, I wouldn't put tech in the top 5 of rappers at this moment... but I agree with reaper... give him a 'true' label, back him up with marketing like the big guys get, give him some good producers, and he'd be selling out arenas every night

-EB-

wutamess
03-18-2006, 06:09 PM
eh, I wouldn't put tech in the top 5 of rappers at this moment... but I agree with reaper... give him a 'true' label, back him up with marketing like the big guys get, give him some good producers, and he'd be selling out arenas every night

-EB-

That's the same thing people say about canibus.
NOT going to happen.

Reaper16
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
That's the same thing people say about canibus.
NOT going to happen.
Tech N9ne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> L Cool J > Canibus

Ebolapox
03-19-2006, 12:26 AM
eh, I've never been a big fan of cannibitch... he won't square dance with eminem

-EB-...whatever the f*ck THAT is supposed to mean

Ultra Peanut
03-19-2006, 05:14 AM
Sorta like 3-6 mafia was to the Memphis area when I went to school 95-99 in Jackson, TN.Oh, snap... Union, Lambuth, or Lane?

Also, the Triple Six comparison, as far as the "huge locally" thing goes, is probably on the mark. Though Tech is much better at his best than them.

Ultra Peanut
03-19-2006, 05:18 AM
eh, I wouldn't put tech in the top 5 of rappers at this moment... but I agree with reaper... give him a 'true' label, back him up with marketing like the big guys get, give him some good producers, and he'd be selling out arenas every nightNot to oversell him, but I think he's "above" that sort of mass appeal.

I sound like such an indie snob in the above sentence.

chagrin
03-19-2006, 06:58 AM
You don't know how hard I was trying to think of anything I could to make my point; I totally agree.

ROFL
Fixed your post.

Ultra Peanut
03-19-2006, 07:28 AM
ROFL
Fixed your post.
It don't matter what you do or say, try to get away
But I'ma catch you
Wanna compare yourself to them
Well guess what, homeboy, you don't match up

I'm my own individual, so I know
It isn't true just because you say it is
'Cause anything that's truth got proof, it ain't you
It's simply just the way it is

chagrin
03-20-2006, 12:31 PM
It don't matter what you do or say, try to get away
But I'ma catch you
Wanna compare yourself to them
Well guess what, homeboy, you don't match up

I'm my own individual, so I know
It isn't true just because you say it is
'Cause anything that's truth got proof, it ain't you
It's simply just the way it is

I have no idea what that means, but before you start saying shit like I don't know anything about anything and I don't have an open mind - you should probably ask someone about my past. I've been there and came out alive and didn't need to be a thug to do it. I don't like rap and it has nothing to do with having a closed mind.

But it's fine that we differ in opinions, mine is just based upon my experience overcoming poverty, addiction (real addiction too, I'm not talking the guy with 5 lbs of pot in his backyard - I came strong every f*cking day with no limit on what and how much) Losing everything I owned more than 2 times and more. So don't bring me a rhyme that SOMEONE ELSE wrote to try and show me up; it won't work dude.

I am as real as it gets.

Lzen
03-20-2006, 02:05 PM
I used to hate rap/hip hop when it first became really popular. And I'll never be a big fan. However, there is some that just sounds good. I don't know how to describe what I mean. Just songs that have a good vibe or flow. I can't stand the ones with all those lyrics about gangsta life or rims and ice, but I do have some that I own that I love. A couple great ones that I have are actually Christian rappers. Obviously, some people are vehemently against anything like that. But if you have an open mind, I would reccommend these.

- The Cross Movement
- KJ-52

Lzen
03-20-2006, 02:08 PM
....and now EMO which has just about put the fork in rock and roll.

What is EMO? Electronic music? Trance music? In any case, you're high if you think R & R is anywhere close to being dead.
ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I have no idea what that means, but before you start saying shit like I don't know anything about anything and I don't have an open mind - you should probably ask someone about my past. I've been there and came out alive and didn't need to be a thug to do it. I don't like rap and it has nothing to do with having a closed mind.

But it's fine that we differ in opinions, mine is just based upon my experience overcoming poverty, addiction (real addiction too, I'm not talking the guy with 5 lbs of pot in his backyard - I came strong every f*cking day with no limit on what and how much) Losing everything I owned more than 2 times and more. So don't bring me a rhyme that SOMEONE ELSE wrote to try and show me up; it won't work dude.

I am as real as it gets.So... because you were a drug addict, you feel qualified to comment on rap? I think that means you're a little more closed-minded about the subject than you'd care to admit.

In all seriousness, I was just in the mood to post a Del quote and yours was the first one for which it seemed applicable.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2006, 04:35 PM
What is EMO? Electronic music? Trance music? In any case, you're high if you think R & R is anywhere close to being dead.
ROFLEmo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29) is scene kids' very favorite style!

http://random-m.com/images/273838990_emo.gif

Nzoner
03-20-2006, 06:34 PM
The last, and probably biggest, point to make clear is that EVERY single generation holds onto their own music and snubs the new stuff, every single time a change of the guard is in order. They said the same thing when they first heard blues (black people music), Jazz (direspectful of the instrument), Swing (too simple, too sexual), Boogie Woogie (Trashy, perverse), Rock and Roll (mindless noise, too sexual)... The list goes on and on, and up to hip hop and grunge, and now EMO which has just about put the fork in rock and roll.

I'm not buying that.

Link to full article that the following paragraphs were taken from. (http://www.nj.com/living/expresstimes/index.ssf?/base/living-0/1142140329260520.xml&coll=2)

The retro fashion obsession also has led to a rebirth in popularity for many of the decade's most popular musical icons. Bob Marley, John Lennon, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynyrd are a handful of the artists being re-discovered.

"With downloading and the Internet, kids who normally wouldn't have the money to go out and buy the albums, now they can search and check this stuff out, and they're liking it. They're going deeper, listening to back cuts of albums and going beyond the classic rock station," Aerosmith bassist Tom Hamilton says.

"It's pretty flipped out, but in a way we kind of saw it coming. Patterns repeat. You have to go to Point A to get to Point B in the future. The music itself, that hard rock, was almost dangerous in a way. It defined what was going on at the time. I think that is always going to appeal to adolescent males and the melodies for the girls," Hamilton says.

The band is currently on the road and will be playing to a packed house tonight at Giant Center in Hershey, Pa. The group will then swing by the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre.

Aerosmith, along with the Rolling Stones and Kiss, are among the elite group of artists continuing to transcend generation after generation. These bands have remained staples on the charts and store shelves. Merchandise has kept pace with, and often outsold, many of today's hottest acts.

Valiant
03-20-2006, 08:38 PM
most "gangsta" rap is bought by white youth in the burbs.

that raised the bar abit.

You mean stolen in the burbs by all trashy and ghetto wannabe youth...

Valiant
03-20-2006, 08:44 PM
ROFL

EMO is short for emotional..

Basically a pussy version of gothic punk kids who act depressed and kiss the with the same sex... Also dress as gender benders...

Valiant
03-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I am not a fan of ganster rap, but I have always like Silkk the Shocker...

Reaper16
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
EMO is short for emotional..

Basically a pussy version of gothic punk kids who act depressed and kiss the with the same sex... Also dress as gender benders...
Not that I'm one to defend a music scene with which I have nothing to do with or enjoy in the slightest, but there are some.....inaccuracies with that assessment.