PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City and Terrell Owens... For real? Or Carl "driving up the price?"

Taco John
03-16-2006, 08:36 PM
The poet Swinburne insisted that even the weariest river winds somewhere safe to sea. The same can't be said for TO.

Count Alex's Losses
03-16-2006, 08:37 PM
We didn't clear significant room under the salary cap for no reason.

Now, I guess those reasons could potentially be to resign Gonzalez and Johnson, but if that was the case, I think those moves would have been made already.

nychief
03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
neither.

Jim Jones
03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
According to the Cowboy forum they signed T.O. tonight, so it doesnt matter anyway.

But hey, we can still get Rocky Berna....

oops, nevermind. forgot.. WE DIDNT GET HIM EITHER!!

Taco John
03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
neither.

That's not even possible.

Taco John
03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
According to the Cowboy forum they signed T.O. tonight, so it doesnt matter anyway.

Hmmm... I didn't think Carl was serious about signing TO.

Simplex3
03-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh, I think he's getting desperate. Take the grumblings around town about kicking his a** out combined with him saying this would be his last contract and you have a man desperate to win a Super Bowl. Or a playoff game. Or hell, ANY significant game.

Halfcan
03-16-2006, 09:05 PM

But hey, we can still get Rocky Berna....

oops, nevermind. forgot.. WE DIDNT GET HIM EITHER!!

Didn't see it on the news yet-but would not surprise me.

BigRock
03-16-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think saying "we'd sign him to a one year, vet minimum deal with some incentives" would do much to drive up a guy's price.

Taco John
03-16-2006, 09:16 PM
I don't think saying "we'd sign him to a one year, vet minimum deal with some incentives" would do much to drive up a guy's price.

No, but it gets your foot in the door to drive up the price if a rival starts making overtures.

Halfcan
03-16-2006, 09:17 PM

It might have been when Carl said he had no interest in that greedy, loudmouth c#cksucker.

BigRock
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
No, but it gets your foot in the door to drive up the price if a rival starts making overtures.
Well, until he actually starts driving up the price, it's premature to say that's what he's doing.

re: the Cowboys signing TO, for whatever it's worth their version of Nick Athan on scout.com says it's not true.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Where did you hear the Chiefs are interested?

keg in kc
03-16-2006, 09:41 PM
As far as I know, the team never had a real interest in him. Any rumors about it came from outside of KC, primarily Philly and Dallas, which would lead me to believe they were stories generated by TO's agent.

If he showed up in town, I'd start to change my mind, but short of that, rumors are rumors...

Which I suppose means, within the confines of the poll, that neither answer is valid.

Taco John
03-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Where did you hear the Chiefs are interested?

The great playwright Edward Bonds once wrote art is the close scrutiny of reality and therefore I put on the stage only those things that I know happen in our society. GoChiefs told me.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-16-2006, 09:49 PM
The great playwright Edward Bonds once wrote Art is the close scrutiny of reality and therefore I put on the stage only those things that I know happen in our society. GoChiefs told me.
ROFL

Taco John
03-16-2006, 09:51 PM
As far as I know, the team never had a real interest in him. Any rumors about it came from outside of KC, primarily Philly and Dallas, which would lead me to believe they were stories generated by TO's agent.

If he showed up in town, I'd start to change my mind, but short of that, rumors are rumors...

Which I suppose means, within the confines of the poll, that neither answer is valid.

He either wanted him sincerely, or had something else strategic in mind when he had the information leaked. I don't think it got out by accident.

BigRock
03-16-2006, 10:12 PM
The rumors about TO definitely started in KC... it was this article that kicked it off:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13760070.htm

The questions are how sincere the interest really is (these comments did come shortly after TO had met with Denver), and, if the interest is real, whether there's any beyond the criteria they set publicly of a cheap, one-year deal. CP and Herm have both said recently that TO and his people know the criteria they've set and that they'll listen if his agent calls, but beyond that they say they aren't pursuing it.

CP also said a year ago that he wasn't going to trade a 2nd round pick for Pat Surtain, so who knows what you can believe.

Taco John
03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
NFL Channel reported that Denver and Miami have pulled out of talks and the only option is Dallas right now...

I'm thinking Carl was just getting his foot in the door to drive up the price for Denver. I could be wrong, but I have to believe Carl had a strategy, and it wasn't just to take the KC fan base for a ride.