PDA

View Full Version : Possible 3-4 defense DT available

Chiefaholic
03-16-2006, 11:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4156

I realize he's no spring chicken anymore. But, Grady Jackson definatly has the size needed at 6'2" 345 lbs that'll allow the Chiefs to play the strength of our defensive front 7 more (LB's) in the 3-4 defense. Thoughts...........?

greg63
03-16-2006, 11:54 PM

I realize he's no spring chicken anymore. But, Grady Jackson definatly has the size needed at 6'2" 345 lbs that'll allow the Chiefs to play the strength of our defensive front 7 more (LB's) in the 3-4 defense. Thoughts...........?
...Many.

Seriously, I think our defense needs all the help it can get, however, I think we should be getting younger there not older, but then again I'm not exactly an authority on the subject.

QuikSsurfer
03-16-2006, 11:55 PM

i'm up for him trying for a spot :) but a 6-6 Hicks couldn't do much, IMO.

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2006, 12:20 AM
I'll reiterate my dream draft

1) Tamba Hali

2) Gabe Watson

3) Brodie Croyle

If KC had a DT like Gabe Watson then yes.

Amnorix
03-17-2006, 05:45 AM

For seemingly the 100th time, the Chiefs will not employ a 3-4. Their head coach and defensive coordinator are both 4-3 coaches going WAY back. They have NO HISTORY whatsoever of coaching the 3-4, or wanting to coach the 3-4.

It's amazing to me that this topic won't die on this bulletin board.

keg in kc
03-17-2006, 05:54 AM
For seemingly the 100th time, the Chiefs will not employ a 3-4. Their head coach and defensive coordinator are both 4-3 coaches going WAY back. They have NO HISTORY whatsoever of coaching the 3-4, or wanting to coach the 3-4.

It's amazing to me that this topic won't die on this bulletin board.I stopped being amazed by that about 5 years ago. I've been posting on either the kc star board or here since '99, and if there's one constant, it's people posting dreamily about a 3-4 defense that never happens. It's chiefs bulletin board snake oil, for whatever reason.

Inspector
03-17-2006, 06:13 AM
Maybe they'll go to a 3-4 defense this year.

Amnorix
03-17-2006, 06:23 AM
I stopped being amazed by that about 5 years ago. I've been posting on either the kc star board or here since '99, and if there's one constant, it's people posting dreamily about a 3-4 defense that never happens. It's chiefs bulletin board snake oil, for whatever reason.

It's crazy. How 'bout this wild thought -- if they wanted a 3-4, they'd have hired Mangini or Capers or some other 3-4 guru, and fired Gun and hired a 3-4 guy in his place too.

It's not like the 4-3 is an invalid defense, or inherently sucky or anything. It's really a question of style, and having the players available to fit your preferred system.

The Ravens won it all with the best defense in 15 years back in 2000 playing a 4-3. The great Bears defenses of the 80s, the 46, was a 4-3 variant. The Steel Curtain was a 4-3. Lots of great defenses have been 4-3.

jspchief
03-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Just because the strnggth of our defense is LBs, that doesn't mean those LBs are suited to play in a 3-4 defense.

We're about 5 players away from a good 3-4, and about 2-3 players from a great 4-3.

John_Wayne
03-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Maybe they'll go to a 3-4 defense this year. They employed some situational 3 - 4 last season.

Amnorix
03-17-2006, 07:19 AM
They employed some situational 3 - 4 last season.

Like 3rd and 20+? If so, that's hardly worth talking about. That's just a prevent defense package.

cdcox
03-17-2006, 07:19 AM
The strength of our defense is LB? We have two decent ones with potential to still improve, and one serviceable one. For a 3-4 you need 4 starters plus depth. Then all of our lineman are wrong type.

cdcox
03-17-2006, 07:21 AM
And a Pats fan understands our team better than half the Chief fans on the board.

Amnorix
03-17-2006, 07:31 AM
And a Pats fan understands our team better than half the Chief fans on the board.

:) Thanks, but seriously, it's not rocket science. Here's another newsflash -- the frigging Colts and Tampa Bay Bucs aren't switching to a 3-4 anytime soon either.

Because Dungy, Monte Kiffin and Herm Edwards are cut from the same 4-3 cloth for God's sake...

cdcox
03-17-2006, 07:34 AM
:) Thanks, but seriously, it's not rocket science. Here's another newsflash -- the frigging Colts and Tampa Bay Bucs aren't switching to a 3-4 anytime soon either.

Because Dungy, Monte Kiffin and Herm Edwards are cut from the same 4-3 cloth for God's sake...

I agree its not rocket science, but that makes it all the more baffling why some won't let this rest. It's like hoping that Hillary Clinton will become an arch conseervative.

ChiTown
03-17-2006, 07:47 AM
I agree its not rocket science, but that makes it all the more baffling why some won't let this rest. It's like hoping that Hillary Clinton will become an arch conseervative.

It's simple.

We have a LB (Bell) who is getting his nuts handed to him playing OLB in the 4-3. Therefore, the expert solution is to stick him in the interior and run a 3-4. Problem solved...................
ROFL

Radar Chief
03-17-2006, 08:07 AM

Sorta. Günter did run a pseudo 3-4 back in the day but it was more like a 4-3 with DT play’n a “Falcon” line backer that would line up just ‘bout anywhere. But other than that failed attempt I agree, Günter has no experience with a real 3-4.

Radar Chief
03-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Just because the strnggth of our defense is LBs, that doesn't mean those LBs are suited to play in a 3-4 defense.

We're about 5 players away from a good 3-4, and about 2-3 players from a great 4-3.

That’s a pretty good way to put it. The Chiefs are just a couple players from a serviceable 4-3 D, but several players from a serviceable 3-4 D.

Cochise
03-17-2006, 08:18 AM
I don't understand either why around here, the 4-3 = suck and the 3-4 = good, even with the same personnel.

And, with Grady Jackson... I realize we need all the help we can get, but jeez... was Keith Traylor not available or what?

Radar Chief
03-17-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't understand either why around here, the 4-3 = suck and the 3-4 = good, even with the same personnel.

My dad used to tell me ‘bout this farmer he worked for as a kid that had this cow that’d stretch it’s neck through the fence to get at the grass on the other side. One day that cow got out and was outside the fence stretch’n it’s neck through the fence to eat the grass on the inside.
If we ran a 3-4 it’d be “teh suck” and everyone would covet of the 4-3. Its just basic nature for some. ;)

Cochise
03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
My dad used to tell me ‘bout this farmer he worked for as a kid that had this cow that’d stretch it’s neck through the fence to get at the grass on the other side. One day that cow got out and was outside the fence stretch’n it’s neck through the fence to eat the grass on the inside.
If we ran a 3-4 it’d be “teh suck” and everyone would covet of the 4-3. Its just basic nature for some. ;)

ROFL Maybe the cow thought the food was through the fence, and not actually on the other side.

Like we think that the good D is all played in a 3-4, and 4-3 is just played by teams that want to suck ;)

Amnorix
03-17-2006, 08:39 AM
You can't even argue that great defensive minds (Belichick, etc.) go for the 3-4 while 4-3 is for stunted morons. Monte Kiffin and Gregg Williams are as good as they get, and they're 4-3 guys all the way.

Chiefnj
03-17-2006, 09:10 AM
The Chiefs really need to bring in Corey Dillon.

Basileus777
03-17-2006, 09:16 AM
You can't even argue that great defensive minds (Belichick, etc.) go for the 3-4 while 4-3 is for stunted morons. Monte Kiffin and Gregg Williams are as good as they get, and they're 4-3 guys all the way.

Exactly and and the 2002 Bucs and 2000 ravens used a 4-3 and they had great defenses and won superbowls with them.

Cochise
03-17-2006, 09:30 AM
The Chiefs really need to bring in Corey Dillon.

He's already coming here. It's a done deal.

RedThat
03-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Grady Jackson is not coming to Kansas City. Here is my reason why:

-Herm has stressed he wants this team to get younger. Grady is 33.

-Herm is planning on playing a zone cover 2 defense. That usually requires more smaller, quick, agile DTs that have the ability to rush the passer. Grady does not fit that bill.

-Herm stressed how a good pass rush can mask a weak secondary. Makes me think even more how they're looking at passrushing lineman, rather than run stuffing lineman.

-Herm has said the foundation of your football team lies in the trenches. So with that being said, Herm wants to get younger, he realizes and understands the foundation of the football team lies in the trenches, we see that the Kansas City Chiefs are really thin in the defensive line department, oh and he also said, you can never have enough defensive lineman. Makes me think we're going to draft defensive lineman. A lot of them this year.

-Grady Jackson wants $5 million dollars a year! No way he is getting this kinda money from Lamar.

*Grady Jackson imo simply does not fit into the teams plans. I suspect the Chiefs will draft Defensive lineman in rounds 1, 2, and 3. I look for them to take 2 defensive tackles, and possibly 1 passrushing end.

Count Zarth
03-17-2006, 10:45 AM
I touched on this issue in one of my award-winning WPI articles.

The 3-4 is not a magic bullet. Only 2 of the NFL's top 10 defenses last year ran the 3-4.

Cochise
03-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I touched on this issue in one of my award-winning WPI articles.

The 3-4 is not a magic bullet. Only 2 of the NFL's top 10 defenses last year ran the 3-4.

Sounds like you did some grueling research.

Chiefaholic
03-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Listen to Gun's interview on kcchiefs.com and tell me again that Gun never used the 3-4 and doesn't want to use it. It's a matter of a lack of personell on the D-Line preventing Gun from using it MORE.

Mr. Laz
03-17-2006, 11:53 AM
don't forget about the coaching aspect of a 3-4

you need a defensive coordinator that is smart and inventive who knows when to blitz and how to teach his players to blitz effectively.

goonther is a ham-handed grunt

asking Goonther to run a 3-4 defense is like trying to use a sledge hammer to perform heart surgery.......... ugly,ugly,ugly.

milkman
03-17-2006, 06:56 PM
don't forget about the coaching aspect of a 3-4

you need a defensive coordinator that is smart and inventive who knows when to blitz and how to teach his players to blitz effectively.

goonther is a ham-handed grunt

asking Goonther to run a defense is like trying to use a sledge hammer to perform heart surgery.......... ugly,ugly,ugly.

I fixed your post for you.

petegz28
03-17-2006, 08:22 PM
We will employ the 3-4 a lot mroe this year in obvious passing downs with Kendrell Bell as the Rush end more than likely ont he opposite side of Allen

Coach
03-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Like 3rd and 20+? If so, that's hardly worth talking about. That's just a prevent defense package.

Which the Chiefs' D is very good at giving up first downs.

So much for "preventing" the first down, if they're just gonna let them have a first down anyways.

NJ Chief Fan
03-18-2006, 01:50 AM
yea lets switch to the 3-4 and basically bench our best d-linemen jared allen real brainiacs we got here