PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: T-Rich near new deal, Gammon, C.Hall signed

chefsos
03-17-2006, 02:04 AM
I don't see tk13 around, so here's a Star column. Enjoy.

Richardson encouraged by talks
By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14118232.htm

Three weeks ago, as he was ready to head into free-agency, fullback Tony Richardson wasn’t certain he would be able to finish his career with the Chiefs.

Thursday, after almost a week as a free agent, Richardson was more encouraged about ending his career where it started.

“We’re making headway,” Richardson said about his contract talks with the Chiefs. “They’ve got an offer on the table. We still have a little work left to do, but I feel better about the chances for getting something done.

Richardson joined the Chiefs in 1995 and worked his way up from special teams to starting fullback. As the lead blocker in recent seasons, first for Priest Holmes and then for Larry Johnson, Richardson was a major part of the success of the Chiefs’ running game.

Among current Chiefs, only Will Shields was around when Richardson arrived. As senior statesman, Richardson, 34, is a team leader, and many teammates head his way for advice.

“There are certain players that bring more to your team than just being a football player,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “If you’re talking about Tony Richardson, he brings a whole lot to this team besides being a good football player. We’re going to do everything we can to bring him back.”

The Chiefs did agree Thursday on contract terms with two of their own free agents. Long snapper Kendall Gammon and defensive end Carlos Hall agreed to one-year contracts.

Former Giants cornerback Will Allen, a free agent who visited with the Chiefs this week, has moved on to meetings with the Saints and Dolphins. Allen previously interviewed with the Seahawks.

kcfanXIII
03-17-2006, 02:14 AM
please let them get something done. this is very important.

Basileus777
03-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Didn't we just sign some Johnson to be our longsnapper? Do we have two longsnappers now?

Bob Dole
03-17-2006, 06:00 AM
Didn't we just sign some Johnson to be our longsnapper? Do we have two longsnappers now?

Yes, we recently signed Adam Johnson who was listed in the release as "LS", but he's on the roster as a LB... Don't know anything about him, and it's good to see Gammon intends to play.

Inspector
03-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Hope this gets done.

I like watching LJ or Priest running behind TRich.

It's a good combination. Like warm cookies and cold milk.

JBucc
03-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Good Good and OK

jspchief
03-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Didn't we just sign some Johnson to be our longsnapper? Do we have two longsnappers now?Probably camp fodder.

Mr. Kotter
03-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Very good, good, and good.

FAX
03-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Herm plans to introduce the extra-long snap play, Mr. Basileus777.

FAX

John_Wayne
03-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Excellent, very good & we'll see.
(T-Rich, Gammon, Hall)

Aries Walker
03-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Yes, this is good, this news.

Dunit35
03-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Probably camp fodder.

Yeah, probably just in case Gammon has problems with his injury.

Iowanian
03-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Gammon is a great snapper, but I feel he is a liability in punt coverage. With his age and knees, he doesn't get down the field well.

Perry didn't snap as well as Gammon, but he was down the field alot faster in coverage.

HC_Chief
03-17-2006, 08:43 AM
excellent news

BigChiefFan
03-17-2006, 08:43 AM
T-Rich is a workhorse, I think he still has a couple of quality years left in him. Let's hope we get him re-signed on the cheap.

mac58
03-17-2006, 08:50 AM
wow the excitment of free agency is unbearable

Bootlegged
03-17-2006, 08:59 AM
This offseason is starting to look like 2004 again.

Iowanian
03-17-2006, 09:12 AM
I think its great if they can get Trich back for a couple of years. Carlos Hall has a good pass rush, if he can keep his labia from getting bruised every 3 plays. I like gammons, but I really wish there were a younger, faster, stronger option.

Woodrow Call
03-17-2006, 09:16 AM
And in 3rd string RB news......

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3610325

Running back Quentin Griffin is expected to sign with Kansas City today. Griffin, formerly a starting tailback with Denver, was cut twice by the Broncos in 2005. The fourth-round pick in 2003 did not finish the 2005 season with a team. He's expected to vie for a backup role in Kansas City behind Larry Johnson.

Iowanian
03-17-2006, 09:28 AM
T@CO is likely to shart himself if Quentin Sanders, I mean Barry Griffin, is a 3rd string back in KC.

I guess I can think of worse options to compete with Smith for the 3rd slot...even if he's a midget that could be tackled by putting a gatorade cup over him.

Rooster
03-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Great news with T-Rich. I think he has a lot to do with LJ's success. Not just the his great blocking but his big brother approach to him.

As far as Gammons, I'm a PSU alum so he can play forever as far as I'm concerned. :)

Basileus777
03-17-2006, 09:50 AM
And in 3rd string RB news......

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3610325

Running back Quentin Griffin is expected to sign with Kansas City today. Griffin, formerly a starting tailback with Denver, was cut twice by the Broncos in 2005. The fourth-round pick in 2003 did not finish the 2005 season with a team. He's expected to vie for a backup role in Kansas City behind Larry Johnson.

What, how can they do this to Dee Brown?

RedThat
03-17-2006, 09:53 AM
What, how can they do this to Dee Brown?

Imo, this is just nothing but to fill up a roster spot, and to give us added depth.

I'm suspecting if we do sign Griffin, he'll come relatively cheap. I view this as more of an insurance signing. You never know? Priest may retire? If he does, a move like Griffin makes a lot of sense.

RedThat
03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
I really hope they sign T-Rich. Don't want to lose out on a guy like that. He brings so much to this football team.

Chan93lx50
03-17-2006, 10:05 AM
The most exciting FA news is the resigning of our own players. Thank God TRich is staying home! I will feel much better when its in ink

el borracho
03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Richardson has been great for us but I have to wonder if Dunn or Wilson couldn't take over at this point. It had better be an inexpensive contract.

Hall is worth another shot but, again, I hope it is the right kind of contract (one where we can cut him if he is perpetually hurt).

I guess if we have to have a long-snapper it might as well be Gammons.

Cave Johnson
03-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Kiss Will Allen goodby. I'd be shocked if we signed him now.

Mr. Laz
03-17-2006, 10:17 AM
outstanding, all we have to do now is re-sign Warfield and McCleon ... then we can have the same team we had last year.

Rooster
03-17-2006, 11:52 AM
outstanding, all we have to do now is re-sign Warfield and McCleon ... then we can have the same team we had last year.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

milkman
03-17-2006, 07:26 PM
This offseason is starting to look like 2004 again.

This is true.

The one difference, however, is that the guys we are re-signing this time around are actually guys we do want to keep around, unlike '04.

Coach
03-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Gammon is a great snapper, but I feel he is a liability in punt coverage. With his age and knees, he doesn't get down the field well.

Perry didn't snap as well as Gammon, but he was down the field alot faster in coverage.

Good analysis there. Tough decision to make. Would you like a snapper that is dead-on accurate on his kicks/punts, even though his coverage skills are declining or is on a decline?

Or would you go for a snapper that has some issues snapping the ball to the holder or punter, but his coverage skills is solid?

Tough decision, but I would go for the accuracy on the kicks and punts instead of the down the field coverage a little bit more.