PDA

View Full Version : What should I order at the Capital Grille tonight?

patteeu
03-17-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm going to the Capital Grille (http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/Locations/KansasCity/dinnerMainCourses.asp?Location=KansasCity) tonight on the Plaza. What should I order? I don't like sweet sauces much and I'm pretty sure I won't order anything with "ginger" in the name. Thanks for your help in this matter. (Poll to follow)

Here's the menu:

Chef's Suggestions

Kona Crusted Dry Aged Sirloin with Caramelized Shallot Butter
A wonderful flavor combination with caramelized shallots, seasonings and coffee rub to create a first-class steak many guests claim as their favorite.

Porcini Rubbed Delmonico with 8-Year Aged Balsamic
The classic cut of a Delmonico dry aged steak seasoned and broiled to create delicate porcini mushroom crust with a light drizzling of premium 8-year aged balsamic.

Sliced Filet Mignon with Cippolini Onions and Wild Mushrooms
Our popular Filet Mignon sliced and served with whole cippolini onions and a beautiful combination of sautéed wild mushrooms.

North Atlantic Twin Lobster Sauté
Two whole lobsters, sautéed and served with a vegetable mélange featuring baby asparagus, corn and mushrooms in a light butter sauce.

Main Courses

Dry Aged Sirloin Steak
You won't find a more flavorful steak. Our New York strip is dry aged
and hand cut in-house. We then grill to your specifications for a robust steak that is served au jus with no need for other adornment.

Dry Aged Porterhouse Steak
Our signature, 24-oz. steak saves you from making the tough choice between a sirloin or a filet. Both come in this dry aged, hand sculpted, steak lover's dream.

Dry Aged Steak Au Poivre with a Courvoisier Cream Sauce
Black peppercorns are crushed then rubbed onto one of our
dry aged sirloins. We sear the steak to its juicy best, then serve it with a rich Courvoisier cognac cream and peppercorn sauce.

Filet Mignon
A perennial favorite, cooked to your wishes and served with au jus.

The Grille’s Delmonico
A hearty, juicy, bone-in ribeye with flavor as big as its 22-ounce size.
Grilled to your liking and served with au jus.

The Grille's Signature Veal Chop
Fork tender and bursting with flavor. Our chop is expertly grilled and
served Porterhouse style. A wondrous Roquefort butter sauce tops it off.

Double Cut Lamb Chops
Four, flavorful rib chops are double cut and grilled the way you want them.

Split-Roasted Chicken
Our own blend of red rub spices lends a definite kick to our fresh whole chicken. Slow roasted to seal in moistness, flavor and your thumbs-up vote.

Seafood

Broiled Fresh Lobster
Fresh from the Atlantic and delightfully sweet. We broil our lobsters to caramelize the natural sugars and enhance the flavor even more. Whether you choose a 2, 3, 4 or 5 pound lobster, you're sure to be enormously satisfied.

Fresh Grilled Swordfish Jardinière
Yet another fabulous steak. This one comes fresh from the Atlantic. We grill it to achieve the perfect texture and moistness. Fresh asparagus, spinach, corn and smoky roasted tomatoes are delicious companions. A lemon butter sauce is the right twist.

Fresh Seared Salmon with Mustard Sauce
We bring out salmon's river-fresh flavor by pan-searing a generous filet with savory herbs, then placing it on a hearty bed of vegetables and spaetzle. A zesty dill Dijon butter sauce tops the dish off.

Sesame Seared Tuna with Gingered Rice
A delicate flavor combination of sesame and ginger with a
fresh, seared tuna steak on a bed of light ginger rice.

Giant Shrimp Scampi with Roasted Tomatoes over Linguini
We sauté fresh, Gulf Coast shrimp in white wine butter with roasted garlic, red and yellow tomatoes and freshly snipped oregano. Then serve over linguini prepared just al dente. No wonder this is one giant hit.

------------------------

P.S. If I see Carl Peterson there, I'll give him your love. :)

keg in kc
03-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Oh man. I miss the days when I could afford good food.

I think I'd have to go with the North Atlantic Twin Lobster Sauté.

|Zach|
03-17-2006, 08:47 AM
P,

That was literally the best steak I have had in my life...I think you are in for a treat. I am pretty sure I got the Dry Aged Steak Au Poivre with a Courvoisier Cream Sauce becvause I dig sauces like that and the person I was with got Kona Crusted Dry Aged Sirloin with Caramelized Shallot Butter.

Enjoy.

Kclee
03-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Porcini Rubbed Delmonico with 8-Year Aged Balsamic
The classic cut of a Delmonico dry aged steak seasoned and broiled to create delicate porcini mushroom crust with a light drizzling of premium 8-year aged balsamic.

That gets my vote.

alpha_omega
03-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Filet Mignon

Sounds good.

patteeu
03-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Oh man. I miss the days when I could afford good food.

I think I'd have to go with the North Atlantic Twin Lobster Sauté.

I can't really justify the expense myself, but my wife thinks she deserves to be treated like a queen every once in a while and she's probably right. If it were just me, I'd probably eat a bowl of cereal or a chicken salad sandwich and save the money. But I admit that after it becomes a foregone conclusion that the money will be spent, I'm looking forward to a nice meal.

patteeu
03-17-2006, 09:05 AM
P,

That was literally the best steak I have had in my life...I think you are in for a treat. I am pretty sure I got the Dry Aged Steak Au Poivre with a Courvoisier Cream Sauce becvause I dig sauces like that and the person I was with got Kona Crusted Dry Aged Sirloin with Caramelized Shallot Butter.

Enjoy.

Thanks. I'm sure it's going to be pretty tasty.

CoMoChief
03-17-2006, 09:06 AM
CHICKEN FINGERS!

Iowanian
03-17-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't even know what most of that means.

Since its friday and Lent...I'd be going with fish.

patteeu
03-17-2006, 09:16 AM

Since its friday and Lent...I'd be going with fish.

Yikes! I forgot about that. Hopefully, my wife won't remember and make me eat fish.

Dartgod
03-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Woohoo! First in with the "Just order a well done Sirloin and ask for some Heinz Ketchup" vote!

Seriously, I'd go with the Delmonico. I love a good ribeye.

Mr. Kotter
03-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Veal.....that's bound to piss off some liberals. :p

BCD
03-17-2006, 09:22 AM
MMMMMM...Porterhouse...cannot go wrong there...

Dartgod
03-17-2006, 09:23 AM

Since its friday and Lent...I'd be going with fish.Good news...

As Luck Would Have It, Bishops Allow Meat on St. Patrick's Day

By Michelle Boorstein (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/michelle+boorstein/)
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 16, 2006

Corned beef and cabbage will be on the menu tomorrow. Call it a gift from Saint Patrick.

Despite the Vatican's prohibition against eating meat on Fridays during Lent, Catholic bishops in about one-third of the country's 197 dioceses have issued a one-day waiver of the rule, citing the benefits of Irish American tradition and community.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/15/AR2006031502340.html

Reaper16
03-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Veal.....that's bound to piss off some liberals. :p
Not me; then again, I hunt.

patteeu
03-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Good news...

That is good news. I wasn't sure whether or not to tell my wife. Now I can tell her and it won't matter. :)

CHENZ A!
03-17-2006, 09:34 AM
If there was a Steak & lobster tail or steak & shrimp option, I'd go for that.. Surf and turf

StcChief
03-17-2006, 11:01 AM
St.Pats... no green beer Corned Beef and Cabbage.

journeyscarab
03-17-2006, 11:12 AM
A wonderful flavor combination with caramelized shallots, seasonings and coffee rub to create a first-class steak many guests claim as their favorite.

This rocks!

patteeu
03-17-2006, 12:41 PM

This rocks!

Does it taste like coffee?

journeyscarab
03-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Does it taste like coffee?

It actually does have a mild coffee taste to it. Not overwhelming, but enough to know it was rubbed with coffee. It seems when people include coffee in a receipe it either overwhelms the flavor and you can't taste anything else or its hardly there at all.

Capital Grill had it just right. Nice mix of the caramelized shallotts and coffee tastes.

Rain Man
03-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I went with the Sliced Filet Mignon with Cippolini Onions and Wild Mushrooms, but it's kind of hard to pass up the twin lobsters and the filet.

When are you going to post the dessert menu?

journeyscarab
03-17-2006, 01:06 PM
I went with the Sliced Filet Mignon with Cippolini Onions and Wild Mushrooms, but it's kind of hard to pass up the twin lobsters and the filet.

Sounds like something I'll try next time around. Gotta save some pennies.

patteeu
03-17-2006, 01:10 PM
P,

Enjoy.

Was the Courvoisier Cream Sauce sweet?

patteeu
03-17-2006, 01:16 PM

When are you going to post the dessert menu?

Right now. Which one do you suggest?

Desserts

Cheesecake with Strawberries
A lighter, fluffier version of its New York cousin. Our cheesecake is nestled in a vanilla wafer crust and garnished with
fresh, sweet strawberries and a luscious strawberry sauce.

Fresh Berries in Vanilla Cream
Just ripe strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries shine in a velvety smooth Crème Anglaise.

White Chocolate Mousse
Definitely rich but refreshingly light. We blend the finest white chocolate with fresh cream, then top it off with red ripe strawberries and shaved dark chocolate.

Fresh Strawberries Capital Grille
A luscious combination of juicy strawberries, vanilla ice cream and our own ruby port and Grand Marnier sauce makes our signature dessert well worth signing on for.

Coconut Cream Pie
A delightful macaroon-style crust is layered with luscious whipped and coconut pastry cream. A caramel rum sauce topping makes it even more irresistible.

Dreamery Ice Cream or Sorbet
Our assortment changes regularly, but the endings are always sweet. Ask your server what temptations are available today.

Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake
Chocolate lovers will rhapsodize over this rich, dense dream of a cake. A hint of espresso, fresh raspberries, whipped cream and Melba sauce make for an unforgettable finish to any meal.

Key Lime Pie
For those who love a sweet yet tart finish, this refreshing pie is the key. We use true Key Limes in whipping up our creamy cool pie. Served atop a graham cracker crust and topped with chopped pistachios.

Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
We pull out all the chocolate stops in this wondrous concoction of moist chocolate cake layered with dark chocolate mousse and coated with a hazelnut chocolate ganache. Crème Anglaise, chopped toasted hazelnuts and a Pirouline cookie provide the perfect balance.

Classic Crème Brulée
Tap through a crisp caramelized sugar crust to the creamiest of custards below to see why this remains a perennial favorite.

patteeu
03-17-2006, 01:19 PM
So far, I'm liking the people's choice (Sliced Filet with assorted shrooms). Having my meat cut up for me will remind me of the good old days when mom used to do that kind of thing. :)

|Zach|
03-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Was the Courvoisier Cream Sauce sweet?
Nope.

Bearcat
03-17-2006, 01:40 PM
I had a sliced strip with some sort of butter stuff... best steak I've ever had.

Coconut Cream Pie
A delightful macaroon-style crust is layered with luscious whipped and coconut pastry cream. A caramel rum sauce topping makes it even more irresistible.

I had this, too, because I don't see many around. It was very good.

Inspector
03-17-2006, 01:46 PM
My suggestion would be to eat a bowl of cereal or a chicken salad sandwich and save the money.

I'm not very original with food ideas.

And I'm a horrible cheapskate.

You would be well advised to not follow my suggestions unlike that guy who severed his own penis.

Rain Man
03-17-2006, 01:47 PM
That's a very good dessert menu.

You have to go with key lime pie, though. You can't find key lime pie just anywhere.

Inspector
03-17-2006, 01:49 PM
mmmm....pie....

RedNFeisty
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Black peppercorns are crushed then rubbed onto one of our
dry aged sirloins. We sear the steak to its juicy best, then serve it with a rich Courvoisier cognac cream and peppercorn sauce.

That is what I would order.

RedNFeisty
03-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Just ripe strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries shine in a velvety smooth Crème Anglaise.

To top it off!

Kclee
03-17-2006, 02:07 PM
That's a very good dessert menu.

You have to go with key lime pie, though. You can't find key lime pie just anywhere.

I second that.

Logical
03-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Desserts

Cheesecake with Strawberries
A lighter, fluffier version of its New York cousin. Our cheesecake is nestled in a vanilla wafer crust and garnished with
fresh, sweet strawberries and a luscious strawberry sauce.

White Chocolate Mousse
Definitely rich but refreshingly light. We blend the finest white chocolate with fresh cream, then top it off with red ripe strawberries and shaved dark chocolate.

Fresh Strawberries Capital Grille
A luscious combination of juicy strawberries, vanilla ice cream and our own ruby port and Grand Marnier sauce makes our signature dessert well worth signing on for.

Coconut Cream Pie

Dreamery Ice Cream or Sorbet
Our assortment changes regularly, but the endings are always sweet. Ask your server what temptations are available today.

Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake
Chocolate lovers will rhapsodize over this rich, dense dream of a cake. A hint of espresso, fresh raspberries, whipped cream and Melba sauce make for an unforgettable finish to any meal.

Key Lime Pie
For those who love a sweet yet tart finish, this refreshing pie is the key. We use true Key Limes in whipping up our creamy cool pie. Served atop a graham cracker crust and topped with chopped pistachios.

Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
We pull out all the chocolate stops in this wondrous concoction of moist chocolate cake layered with dark chocolate mousse and coated with a hazelnut chocolate ganache. Crème Anglaise, chopped toasted hazelnuts and a Pirouline cookie provide the perfect balance.

Classic Crème Brulée
Tap through a crisp caramelized sugar crust to the creamiest of custards below to see why this remains a perennial favorite.

I guess I am just not a gourmet desert fan, I would probably go with the Cheesecake hold the strawberries. I only like cherries on cheesecake or just plain cheesecake. Though a chocolate cheesecake that is lightly flavored with chocolate can be delicious.

cdcox
03-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the steaks. I'd want to got three times and try each of the Chef's specials. Make sure to spring for a good glass of wine, or split a bottle with the Mrs.

Flourless chocolate espresso cake for dessert.

Logical
03-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I hate to think what you would pay for a 5 pound lobster in KC.ROFL

By the way the heretics on the West coast out here who started the whole broiled lobster thing should be shot. Lobster should be steamed dammit.

Pants
03-17-2006, 03:43 PM
<----- Jealous.

Miles
03-17-2006, 05:29 PM

Its really damn good.

Im not much into desserts but their Key Lime Pie is great.

JBucc
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Too hard to choose. One of each please.

Mosbonian
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Every year at the Housewares Show we go to the Capital Grille one night for dinner...so far I have had:

1) The Grille’s Delmonico- You better skip meals all day to be ready for this one....

2) Double Cut Lamb Chops- I've never been much of a Lamb Chop guy till I had one here. I've tried a couple of other restaurants that have advertised something like this but they never come close.

3) Split-Roasted Chicken- I've always favored Chicken for my meals, and this one was great.

4) Fresh Grilled Swordfish Jardinière- I like seafood with the same passion I have for having a root canal without novocaine. But I was talked into trying this once...and I loved it.

mmaddog

Kclee
03-18-2006, 04:24 AM
What did you end up getting Patteeu?

Rain Man
03-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, what'd you get? We're dying to know.

Kclee
03-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, what'd you get? We're dying to know.

Maybe he got the swordfish with a side of Salmonella. :shrug:

Logical
03-18-2006, 06:21 PM
What? No after dinner report.:shake:

Rain Man
03-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe he got the swordfish with a side of Salmonella. :shrug:

Or maybe he was in the mood for Chinese, and went with Chicken Ptomaine.

Adept Havelock
03-18-2006, 09:25 PM
The Sliced Filet Mignon with Cippolini Onions and Wild Mushrooms is fantastic.

Mosbonian
03-18-2006, 10:09 PM
The Sliced Filet Mignon with Cippolini Onions and Wild Mushrooms is fantastic.

Unless, of course, you have a severe allergy to mushrooms.....

mmaddog

Saulbadguy
03-18-2006, 10:13 PM
asteak i guess

patteeu
03-20-2006, 10:51 AM
What did you end up getting Patteeu?

Well at the time I left for the restaurant, the "Sliced Filet Mignon with Cippolini Onions and Wild Mushrooms" was leading by a narrow margin over the Kona Crusted Sirloin, the Twin Lobster Saute, the Filet and the Veal Chop. Before I posted this poll, I was leaning toward the Veal Chop.

We had a very enjoyable time although we were a little bit rushed to get there in time for our reservation as my wife ended up getting off work late. When we got there, we were seated almost immediately and we each ordered a glass of wine. We let the waitress pick our specific wines for us. My wife went with a medium Merlot and I went for a dry Cabernet. I can't remember the names of the specific wines but I enjoyed mine and I think my wife liked hers too.

When we looked at the menu, it was identical to their website except that it didn't include the "North Atlantic Twin Lobster Sauté." Unfortunately, that's what my wife was planning to get. The waitress said they might be able to make it for her, but when she checked the kitchen she was told that they didn't have any lobster tails available so the only lobster choices were the 2lb, 3lb, and 4lb full lobsters. My wife went with the 2lb version. We've both had steamed lobster before, but neither of us have ever had it broiled. I suggested steamed based on Vlad's comments in this thread so my wife had them steam it. She said it was delicious.

I decided to go off of the menu and combine as much ChiefsPlanet input as I could. I had a 14oz Filet, medium rare, with the Kona rub and the Caramelized Shallot Butter. I also ordered sauted wild mushrooms to go with it. I sliced my own meat. I've eaten quite a few good steaks over the years (Mortons, Cattlemen's, Ruth's Chris, Sizzlin's Sirloin ;) etc), but this was easily right up there with the best of them.

We also split a side order of fresh asparagus with butter sauce which was at just the right midpoint between crispy and soft. While vegetable is the narrowest section of my own personal food pyramid, behind meat, dairy, fruits, potato chips, chocolate, and bread, asparagus is my favorite in the category and butter sauce makes it even more yummy.

When it was time for dessert, my wife and I started off with a coffee. We both like candy coffee with lots of sugar and cream, but we rarely drink it. She's trying to eliminate caffeine from her diet and I'm too lazy to make it and too cheap to buy it under normal circumstances. Then we scanned the menu and I told her what some of your recommendations were. We decided to order two desserts and share them. She ordered the Key Lime pie which seemed to be the ChiefsPlanet favorite and I went with the Crème Brulée. Both were superb. The KL pie was like a cheesecake with a really nice Key Lime flavor. The CB was maybe just a little too sweet (what should I expect from a pure sugar dessert you might ask), but it was extremely creamy and it went well with the coffee.

We were both pretty stuffed by the end of the meal, but we still had enough leftover to make another meal for ourselves the next day.

Thanks again to all who provided input. I tried to rep everyone in the thread. I may have double repped some of you because I lost track of where I was a couple of times.

P.S. I tipped the waitress 20% and I stiffed the person who checked my wife's coat because I hadn't thought to bring any cash. I parked my own car so my only interaction with the Valet guy was when he opened the door for us. I thanked him but I didn't tip him for it.

Rain Man
03-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Wow. It's almost like I was there.