PDA

View Full Version : Do You Name Your Car?

FAX
03-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Okay. My NCAA bracket is officially FUBAR. So, in celebration, I have decided to create a new thread that I like to call, "Do You Name Your Car?". Here's why.

I just had to put down the truck I used to haul things. Her name was "Little Green". She had a bad rod bearing and was unable to recover. One of my employees just asked me about "Little Green" and that got me to thinking about car names. Not names like "Corvette" or "SL500" but, rather, names you give your car.

Has anyone here ever named their car? And, if so, what name does it go by? My brother-in-law says that naming a car is dumb but I think his car needs a name like "Stupid's Ugly Gas Hog" or something similar. Please advise as to your car's name (if any) as your contributions may lend support my side of this intense and important debate among and within Mrs. FAX's narrow-minded family unit.

FAX

Radar Chief
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Used to have a green Pinto I called the “towed”. Worked on a couple levels, looked like a frog and it was constantly die’n on me and had to be towed all the time.
Other than that, just the Corveep. ’64 L-76 Corvette + ’60 Willys CJ-5 = Corveep.

Bwana
03-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I have had A LOT of vehicles im my life. Some I named, others I didn't.

Some of the names:

Old Green (An old pick up)
The money magnet (A Triumph TR-6)
The pussy Wagon (A Cadillac)
The heap (A Dodge Ram)
The Fish Slayer (A Land Cruiser)
The HP Magnet (a red corvette)

Other than that, I call just them "that POS" if it starts costing me money and it goes down the road within a month after it ticks me off.

Dunit35
03-17-2006, 03:42 PM
I call mine son of a ....

greg63
03-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I call mine son of a ....

I named mine Rich. :D

Radar Chief
03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
The money magnet (A Triumph TR-6)

Boy, do I ever know that one. I used to have a ’74 Triumph Spitfire 1500 that I couldn’t get anywhere with cause kept have’n to rebuild’n stuff I’d already been through. The thing started tear’n up axle shafts after I juiced up the motor with cam, carb, headers, ignition and some cylinder head work.
But what finally discouraged me enough to get rid of it is when I read that the motor was factory rated with 56 hp. :banghead:
All that work I did to it probably added another 10-15 horses and that was too much for the stock rear end to handle. :shake:
I’ll never waste any of my time with a POS British car or their panzy little pushrod 4 cylinders again. :cuss:

Bwana
03-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Boy, do I ever know that one. I used to have a ’74 Triumph Spitfire 1500 that I couldn’t get anywhere with cause kept have’n to rebuild’n stuff I’d already been through. The thing started tear’n up axle shafts after I juiced up the motor with cam, carb, headers, ignition and some cylinder head work.
But what finally discouraged me enough to get rid of it is when I read that the motor was factory rated with 56 hp. :banghead:
All that work I did to it probably added another 10-15 horses and that was too much for the stock rear end to handle. :shake:
I’ll never waste any of my time with a POS British car or their panzy little pushrod 4 cylinders again. :cuss:

Tell me about it. :shake: Looking back now after throwing all that time I put into that thing and the money, it was like trying to polish a turd.

Radar Chief
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Tell me about it. :shake: Looking back now after throwing all that time I put into that thing and the money, it was like trying to polish a turd.

Yea, I’d read that I could’a beefed up the rear end with Corvair axle shafts and bearing housings but why bother. I’d just’a been throw’n good money after bad, “polish’n a turd”.
That thing was kinda fun, but I don’t miss it.

Braincase
03-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Just picked up a new ride last month. 2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, 23k miles, Supercharged V-6, one scratch, small crack in windshield, 20 gr.

My first Buick. I recall when the manufacturer went to the bank, there was concern for a car named "Boo-Ick".

I have affectionately nicknamed my new ride "Boo". Black w/ Silver Flake, More chrome than usual on a Buick. Seems fitting.

RedandGold
03-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Back in high school, I had a black 1984 Trans Am that eveyone called "The Beast", and I ended up calling it that as a result.

I guess that was my only car that had a name even though I wasn't the one that named it.

Bob Dole
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Bob Dole has a hideous 1985 Chevy truck named "Old number 10".

You can see them, but there is a big ugly stick-on number "10" on each side of the cab just behind the side window.

Fish
03-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I drive SilverFish..... she's a beaut.... beat to hell and back and still purrs like a kitten.....

Bob Dole
03-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Just picked up a new ride last month. 2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, 23k miles, Supercharged V-6, one scratch, small crack in windshield, 20 gr.

My first Buick. I recall when the manufacturer went to the bank, there was concern for a car named "Boo-Ick".

I have affectionately nicknamed my new ride "Boo". Black w/ Silver Flake, More chrome than usual on a Buick. Seems fitting.

You may be glad to know that when Bob Dole met you, Bob Dole had no idea you were in your 70's.

You've aged really well.

Bwana
03-17-2006, 04:48 PM
You may be glad to know that when Bob Dole met you, Bob Dole had no idea you were in your 70's.

You've aged really well.

ROFL

kc rush
03-17-2006, 04:50 PM
My friends and I kind of named our cars in high school, haven't done it since. I had a '65 Bonneville that we called the "yellow submarine" until I painted it red, then it was just called "my giant car". There was also "The Green Turd" (a rusted out Nova), "Piece of shit Sunbird" (a piece of shit Sunbird), "Melted Vega" (a Vega that caught on fire), "Cop Car" (a dark blue car with a spotlight attached). I'm sure we had names for some of the other cars, but I can't remember them right now.

StcChief
03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
ex-Wife had a 74 Vega was known as the 'Vegrant'
87 Stanza 'Red' - 'Little Red'
89 Madza Van - 'The mommy mobile'
98 Maxima 'White' - White Lightning

FAX
03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
I think "The Green Turd" is an excellent car name, Mr. kc rush. Especially for a green car.

It sounds like the name of a super-villian.

FAX

Chieficus
03-17-2006, 04:57 PM
My first car was an '86 Camaro IROC-Z with ground effects... Jet black all over (a prior owner did a paint job and even painted over all the stuff that was of a different color)... Called her "Black Beauty."

For the past six years I've had a '95 GMC Jimmy... named "Hiemie".

kepp
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
My first car was a 1978 Honda Civic hatchback, half red, half rust. Its name...The Turd

kc rush
03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I think "The Green Turd" is an excellent car name, Mr. kc rush. Especially for a green car.

It sounds like the name of a super-villian.

FAX

Luckily I didn't have to drive the green turd. The turd did receive some pretty decent damage after rear-ending my car. Of course, it only knocked some dust off of my bumper. I miss my Bonneville.

FAX
03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I think it's interesting how some people name their cars and some people don't. And, some people who sometimes name some of their cars, don't name all of their cars all of the time.

Do you have to have some sort of special interest in the vehicle to name it? Love? Hate? Does the car have to be special in some way?

FAX

Phobia
03-17-2006, 05:29 PM
My truck is named BFT. I don't remember what that stands for, though.

Bwana
03-17-2006, 05:32 PM

Hmmm? Perhaps it has something to do with running down garbage cans in Arrowhead parking lot? :evil:

Phobia
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
That was in "Stolen" and it wasn't a trash can. It was a suicidal trash bag that threw itself under my wheel.

Bwana
03-17-2006, 05:38 PM
That was in "Stolen" and it wasn't a trash can. It was a suicidal trash bag that threw itself under my wheel.

Heh! That's right, the legend grows. Next it will be the time you mowed down the two donk fans. :hmmm:

Aries Walker
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
I named exactly one car of mine, Betsy, a Plymouth Sundance. She was a good car, and served me faithfully for 260,000 miles until her untimely demise.

My friends named their cars a lot: The Toy (A Chevette), The Beast (a 1968 Dodge Dart Swinger*), Tuskar the Wonder Car (another Chevette), the Rig (a full-size F150 pickup) and, my personal favorite, the Antichrist (an AMC Pacer).

*Ironic because it neither Dodged, Darted, nor Swung.

Rain Man
03-18-2006, 01:29 PM
*Ironic because it neither Dodged, Darted, nor Swung.

(Chuckle)

Rain Man
03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
My BMW is named Zippy and my Taurus is named Tori.

NJ Chief Fan
03-18-2006, 01:41 PM

big fuggin truck :shrug:

FAX
03-18-2006, 01:44 PM
What with the Mexican Food Chain thread and this one, I suddenly realized that mexican food would make great car names!!!!

The Chevy Taco (Economy Sedan)
The Ford Burrito (SUV)
The Ford Burrito Supremo (Really Big SUV)
The Honda Enchilada (Wagon)
The Toyota Salsa (Sport 2-Door)

FAX

johnson&green
03-18-2006, 05:19 PM
lighting

FAX
03-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Your car's name is "lighting", Mr. johnson&green?

FAX