PDA

View Full Version : What state is the biggest mystery to you?

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 02:00 PM
During the course of your Internet travels, you make the acquaintance of a nice person from Thailand named Santawanjanoop Parseethanawanapattapittyparwanathanasan. Santawanjanoop informs you that he/she (you don't know if Santawanjanoop is a male name or female name) is moving to the U.S. next year, and will be living in [insert state name here]. Santawanjanoop asks you for a brain dump of what it's like to live in [insert state name here].

What state would give you the most trouble?

For me, a couple of states stand out. Connecticut is probably the most mysterious state for me. I don't know much of anything about it, and can hardly even name cities in Connecticut. Is it urban, or is it just a bunch of New York suburbs? Connecticut is kind of a black hole for me.

Another state that is challenging on a different scale is California. I know a fair amount about the state, but I can never keep all of the second-tier cities straight. Where is Santa Monica compared to Santa Anna compared to Santa Rosa compare to Santa Rosita (if there is a Santa Rosita). That state has far too many cities that start with Santa.

The other mysterious state is Delaware. I still question whether it really exists, or if it's some mythical place like Shangri-La or Cibola or Puerto Rico.

luv
03-19-2006, 02:03 PM
You have a very overactive imagination, don't you? That, or you're just really bored.

milkman
03-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Another state that is challenging on a different scale is California. I know a fair amount about the state, but I can never keep all of the second-tier cities straight. Where is Santa Monica compared to Santa Anna compared to Santa Rosa compare to Santa Rosita (if there is a Santa Rosita). That state has far too many cities that start with Santa.

All those cities are south of Santa Maria, which is north of Santa Barbara, but south of Santa Margarita.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 02:08 PM
All those cities are south of Santa Maria, which is north of Santa Barbara, but south of Santa Margarita.

So are they east or west of Santa Rosa?

Skip Towne
03-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Is there really an Iowa? We've always called it Ohio down here.

luv
03-19-2006, 02:10 PM
And what about the Sans? San Diego, San Fransisco....

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 02:10 PM
You have a very overactive imagination, don't you? That, or you're just really bored.

I have many more thoughts, but a lot of them get stuck in my elbows on the way from my brain to my hands. I have very bony elbows.

Frazod
03-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Why are there no major cities in northern California? Is it some uninhabitable wasteland, or have shitty weather, or what? Perhaps that's the area of the state where the normal people live, and there aren't enough of them to form a major city.

milkman
03-19-2006, 02:23 PM

That's hard to say.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Why are there no major cities in northern California? Is it some uninhabitable wasteland, or have shitty weather, or what? Perhaps that's the area of the state where the normal people live, and there aren't enough of them to form a major city.

Yes. YES! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Why is that? I envision big stands of primordial redwood forests, and uninhabited rocky beaches where Big Sur-type waves crash against the shore under the call of seagulls. North of there, people live along the Washington coast, and even the Oregon coast. South of there, people are jammed by the millions along the coastline in tiny apartments at huge prices, yet there remains hundreds of miles of uninhabited space just north of them. What's the deal? Are the beaches infested with giant, man-eating crabs? Do Bigfoot creatures rule the area? Are there dinosaurs and smilodons and California condors that swoop down and carry off struggling gold miners to their deaths? What's the deal?

58-4ever
03-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Wyoming...why isn't there more people inhabiting this place? It just seems like one of those giant square states without much of a history (although I'm probably way off).

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Wyoming...why isn't there more people inhabiting this place? It just seems like one of those giant square states without much of a history (although I'm probably way off).

The Wyoming thing is a bit of a mystery to me, too. I've done a fair amount of work there, and it seems like a nice place. The only thing that I can figure is that it's not good agricultural or grazing land, and so didn't get any kind of early start on settling. Colorado might be identical if not for the fact that Colorado had lots of mining opportunities.

Wyoming's got lots of mining now, too, but it's stuff that wasn't valuable when the settlement of the West happened - stuff like gas and coal.

Frazod
03-19-2006, 02:32 PM

There are vast stretches of Wyoming that are nothing but rock-strewn wastelands. No water anywhere, nothing living.

Lonewolf Ed
03-19-2006, 02:32 PM

Unless I am mistaken, Wyoming was the first state to grant women the right to vote. Wyoming is not as populated as Montana, not sure why, but it seems that once you are out of view of the mountains in Wyoming, it is pretty desolate. Eastern Montana is desolate, too, but the western part has more forests and mountains, and consequently, more people.

Now as for a state I can't understand: California, definitely, and it is entirely because of the people there.

Bugeater
03-19-2006, 02:33 PM
North Dakota. I'm pretty sure Canada could invade it and no one would notice.

Ultra Peanut
03-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Fun fact: Wyoming doesn't actually exist on the physical plane.

Bugeater
03-19-2006, 02:40 PM
There are vast stretches of Wyoming that are nothing but rock-strewn wastelands. No water anywhere, nothing living.

That's for sure. We visited Devil's Tower a couple years ago, it was in the middle of one of the most desolate areas I've ever been in. The Great Salt Flats were more exciting.

big nasty kcnut
03-19-2006, 02:43 PM
I never could tell you anything about west virgina. Might be a nice place but there nothing much i can tell you about it.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Fun fact: Wyoming doesn't actually exist on the physical plane.

No, you're thinking of Zeeoming.

Frazod
03-19-2006, 02:56 PM
That's for sure. We visited Devil's Tower a couple years ago, it was in the middle of one of the most desolate areas I've ever been in. The Great Salt Flats were more exciting.

If you thought that part of desolate, you should try driving on I-80 west of Laramie. There are trees and grass around Devils Tower. West of Laramie - NOTHING.

beavis
03-19-2006, 03:22 PM
The other mysterious state is Delaware. I still question whether it really exists, or if it's some mythical place like Shangri-La or Cibola or Puerto Rico.
This would be mine. I literally don't know of anything located there. All I envision is one solitary 100 story building where records are kept on every corporation ever formed.

chefsos
03-19-2006, 03:35 PM
This would be mine. I literally don't know of anything located there. All I envision is one solitary 100 story building where records are kept on every corporation ever formed.
That building's only 78 stories at high tide, though.

DJay23
03-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I never could tell you anything about west virgina. Might be a nice place but there nothing much i can tell you about it.
It's a lawless wasteland where everyone is somehow related.

Halfcan
03-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Alaska-I would l,ike to see it before Bush drills the hell out of it to get oil, and clear cuts all the forest down.

banyon
03-19-2006, 04:12 PM
I vote Louisiana. They got their own different system of laws.

JBucc
03-19-2006, 04:19 PM
That one state up there by Maine. I don't even know it's name it's so mysterious.

QuikSsurfer
03-19-2006, 04:26 PM
North Dakota. I'm pretty sure Canada could invade it and no one would notice.
ROFL

el borracho
03-19-2006, 05:00 PM
The drunken state. How do I always wind up in that state and who can say what happens while I'm there?

Simplex3
03-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes. YES! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Why is that? I envision big stands of primordial redwood forests, and uninhabited rocky beaches where Big Sur-type waves crash against the shore under the call of seagulls. North of there, people live along the Washington coast, and even the Oregon coast. South of there, people are jammed by the millions along the coastline in tiny apartments at huge prices, yet there remains hundreds of miles of uninhabited space just north of them. What's the deal? Are the beaches infested with giant, man-eating crabs? Do Bigfoot creatures rule the area? Are there dinosaurs and smilodons and California condors that swoop down and carry off struggling gold miners to their deaths? What's the deal?
One word:

Environmentalists.

Simplex3
03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Alaska-I would l,ike to see it before Bush drills the hell out of it to get oil, and clear cuts all the forest down.
Please, please tell me you're just being a dumbass.

milkman
03-19-2006, 05:50 PM

Of course he's being a dumbass.

If you mean he's simply trying to be a dumbass, then no, he's not.

Dumbass is his natural state.

Saulbadguy
03-19-2006, 06:23 PM
I can't name one thing New Hampshire is popular for. I can only name one city in the state - Concord.

SNR
03-19-2006, 06:26 PM
North Dakota. I'm pretty sure Canada could invade it and no one would notice.You might be surprised. For sure if we declared war on South Dakota we would definitely kick their asses, despite having approximately 100,000 fewer people.

If Canada invaded, they might take us over until they got to Minot. There they would be so astounded at the stupidity that exists in that city, they'd make a full retreat back into Canada.

SNR
03-19-2006, 06:28 PM
The state I can't figure out is Arizona. Why the **** do so many people live there? And why Arizona? Why not New Mexico?

Saulbadguy
03-19-2006, 06:31 PM
There's a "new" Mexico?

big nasty kcnut
03-19-2006, 06:32 PM
If you also asked me about maine i couldn't tell you anything.

Sfeihc
03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
It's a lawless wasteland where everyone is somehow related.

Not totally lawless. Kind police in WV. The trooper clocked me at 91 in a 65 and wrote me for 71. I was driving like a bat out of hell but I-77 through WV is a GREAT drive especially in the fall.

KcMizzou
03-19-2006, 06:41 PM
If you also asked me about maine i couldn't tell you anything.Lobster and Stephen King.

Demonpenz
03-19-2006, 06:48 PM
i don't know why, but i really ****ing hate vermont.

DanT
03-19-2006, 06:52 PM

The weather is good and some of the most productive farmland in the world is here, in the Central Valley, which is ringed by mountains. I think the physical layout is why the big population centers in Northern California are in the Bay Area and, to a much lesser extent, Sacramento (where I work). The location of the waterways and the mountain passes has had a big effect on what areas were viable for large-scale settlement.

That's just my amateur opinion, though.

milkman
03-19-2006, 06:54 PM
If you also asked me about maine i couldn't tell you anything.

No worries.

Even if you could tell us anything, I highly doubt we could understand.

go bowe
03-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I can't name one thing New Hampshire is popular for. I can only name one city in the state - Concord.one of my good buds from college was from claremont new hampshire...

beautiful place in the winter (never was there in the summer)...

really nice people, despite my uber-hippy appearance at the time...

and they have some pretty little mountains with great scenery...

KcMizzou
03-19-2006, 07:18 PM
and they have some pretty little mountains with great scenery... Where's Ali with his Bob Ross sig when you need him?

Pretty little mountains, happy little trees...

Bowser
03-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Where's Ali with his Bob Ross sig when you need him?

Pretty little mountains, happy little trees...

That guy used to scare the shit out of me.

I'm talking the clown out of "It" kind of scared. You know he had at least two or three people chopped up in the freezer at any one time.

luv
03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Missouri. Well, not the state necessarily. Just the people who move here from other states by choice.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 07:27 PM
You might be surprised. For sure if we declared war on South Dakota we would definitely kick their asses, despite having approximately 100,000 fewer people.

If Canada invaded, they might take us over until they got to Minot. There they would be so astounded at the stupidity that exists in that city, they'd make a full retreat back into Canada.

One of my favorite bits of trivia is that, during the Cold War, North Dakota had so many nukes that if it seceded from the Union, North Dakota would have become the world's third-largest nuclear power after the (rest of the) U.S. and the Soviet Union.

I'm not sure how many they've got today, but I have a feeling that Canada would probably retreat after Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Windsor, Calgary, and a few other cities disappeared in pillars of North Dakota fire.

Bwana
03-19-2006, 07:28 PM

Yep, WY is one of the states I cover and most of it looks like a nuclear waste dump. Not as bad as North Dakota, but close.

banyon
03-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Rhode Island.

You know it's not even an Island.

What are those people trying to hide?

FAX
One of my favorite bits of trivia is that, during the Cold War, North Dakota had so many nukes that if it seceded from the Union, North Dakota would have become the world's third-largest nuclear power after the (rest of the) U.S. and the Soviet Union.

I'm not sure how many they've got today, but I have a feeling that Canada would probably retreat after Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Windsor, Calgary, and a few other cities disappeared in pillars of North Dakota fire.

North Dakota. Gateway To Armageddon.

FAX

SLAG
Im usally confused by Arkansas and Kentucky

Bowser
03-19-2006, 07:30 PM
New Hampshire. I know nothing about New Hampshire.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 07:32 PM
North Dakota. Gateway To Armageddon.

FAX

Yeah. North Dakota is an easy state to figure out for me. Six words pretty much cover it: Winter wheat. Bitter cold. Massive nukes.

FAX
03-19-2006, 07:33 PM

No one does, Mr. Bowser. It's not new anymore. That's why it's confusing. They should rename it "Old Hampshire" or "Used Hampshire".

Or, "Like New Hampshire" if they can get the place cleaned up.

FAX

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 07:34 PM

Whoa, hold on a minute. All these years, I've been calling it New Hamster. Am I wrong?

SLAG
03-19-2006, 07:34 PM
No one does, Mr. Bowser. It's not new anymore. That's why it's confusing. They should rename it "Old Hampshire" or "Used Hampshire".

Or, "Like New Hampshire" if they can get the place cleaned up.

FAX

from my understanding its "Slightly Used Hamshire"

luv
03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Whoa, hold on a minute. All these years, I've been calling it New Hamster. Am I wrong?
No. You're fine.

Bowser

Heck no. I usually just call it "That One State by Connecticut, I Think".

Bwana

Dude, I had no idea you were into that kind of thing! :eek: :shake:

Bugeater
03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
from my understanding its "Slightly Used Hamshire"

No no, it's "Pre-Enjoyed Hampshire".

58-4ever
03-19-2006, 07:41 PM
No no, it's "Pre-Enjoyed Hampshire".

Or slightly tortured to death Hampshire

Bowser
03-19-2006, 07:43 PM
ROFL

KcMizzou
03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
From raccoon sex to this. Only on Chiefsplanet.

Dinny Blues
03-19-2006, 07:47 PM
My biggest mystery state would be that of being, because all of us are basically just students of life.

As far as states of America, do you mean the ones I can name? I just realized I can't list the names of all fifty states without a map or some other form of clues.

Dinny

58-4ever
03-19-2006, 08:04 PM
My biggest mystery state would be that of being, because all of us are basically just students of life.

As far as states of America, do you mean the ones I can name? I just realized I can't list the names of all fifty states without a map or some other form of clues.

Dinny

then you should deport yourself

OnTheWarpath58
03-19-2006, 08:06 PM

Hell, if that was the case, the good ole USA would be inhabited by approximately 72 people......

Dinny Blues
03-19-2006, 08:07 PM

I can't, I've got a hair out of place.

I can't go anywhere with a hair out of place.

Dinny

chiefs4me
03-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Rhode Island.

You know it's not even an Island.

What are those people trying to hide?

yep, I thought I better see if anyone posted it first, the Island part doesn't bother me as much as who lives there, and what do they do??

SNR
03-19-2006, 08:22 PM

I'm not sure how many they've got today, but I have a feeling that Canada would probably retreat after Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Windsor, Calgary, and a few other cities disappeared in pillars of North Dakota fire.That is very correct. Also at the height of the Cold War, my hometown (Grand Forks) was THE #1 most dangerous place to live in the entire country. If anything was going to lead us through a nuclear war with the Soviets, it would be the Grand Forks Air Force Base.

Pretty cool, I think.

SNR
03-19-2006, 08:24 PM
WTF is up with Idaho? It's got potatoes and cities with funny names like "Boise" and "Coeur d'Alaine"

Also, it's the most oddly shaped of all the 50 states, I'd have to say.

SLAG
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
WTF is up with Idaho? It's got potatoes and cities with funny names like "Boise" and "Coeur d'Alaine"

Also, it's the most oddly shaped of all the 50 states, I'd have to say.

Alaska is pretty odd shaped

Bugeater
03-19-2006, 09:36 PM
WTF is up with Idaho? It's got potatoes and cities with funny names like "Boise" and "Coeur d'Alaine".

Missouri isn't much better with "Peculiar" and "Knob Noster".

SNR
03-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Alaska is pretty odd shapedCoastal areas are given a pardon. They take what mother nature deals them. There's no excuse for the disgusting shape that is Idaho.

listopencil
03-19-2006, 09:47 PM

Absolutely correct, my friend. Outstanding insight from an outsider!

listopencil
03-19-2006, 09:50 PM
While I'm on this thread, WTF is up with Oklahoma? It's just the crap that was left over when all of the real states where done. On the map it's like a giant hand warning you, "Keep moving, nothing to see here. Don't bother stopping."

listopencil
03-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Nope. It's just me, my family and my close friends. We kill all of those Southern Californians stupid enough to wander up here.

banyon
03-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Coastal areas are given a pardon. They take what mother nature deals them. There's no excuse for the disgusting shape that is Idaho.

Damn. You are right. I always assumed that the border was some obscure river, buy they just up and decided to draw a crooked line.

el borracho
03-19-2006, 10:09 PM
While I'm on this thread, WTF is up with Oklahoma? It's just the crap that was left over when all of the real states where done. On the map it's like a giant hand warning you, "Keep moving, nothing to see here. Don't bother stopping."
That is precisely what they thought which is why Oklahoma was given to the native americans. Imagine the surprise when oil was discovered throughout the state and all those Indians were sitting on top of millions. ROFL

listopencil
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Damn. You are right. I always assumed that the border was some obscure river, buy they just up and decided to draw a crooked line.

That's a result of the Great Idaho-Montana Civil War of 1888. It lasted about two years as the states fought bloody battle after bloody battle over official borders while they achieved statehood. To this day they hold the annual States Bowl where the winner gets a mummified beaver carcass in statue form and the loser must forfeit the life of it's eldest citizen. It's a brutal contest but it's the only thing that maintains the fragile peace.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 10:24 PM

They nailed the continental divide with part of it, and then they must have lost their train of thought or something.

I wonder if perhaps they did this before they had a good bead on the location of the divide up north?

http://worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/contdiv.gif

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
In looking it up, I bet that Montana won some battles in the war right before statehood, and pushed Idaho off the divide. Once you push someone off the divide, you've got a lot of downhill in front of you.

SNR
03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
In looking it up, I bet that Montana won some battles in the war right before statehood, and pushed Idaho off the divide. Once you push someone off the divide, you've got a lot of downhill in front of you.My next guess would've been if a time zone had anything to do with it

tk13
03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Idaho is a weird shape. I always thought West Virginia was maybe the weirdest. It just kinda jaunts out everywhere... and there's that little tiny sliver between Ohio and Pennsylvania where a decent sized town of Wheeling is. Just bizarre.

SNR
03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Idaho is a weird shape. I always thought West Virginia was maybe the weirdest. It just kinda jaunts out everywhere... and there's that little tiny sliver between Ohio and Pennsylvania where a decent sized town of Wheeling is. Just bizarre.My uncle lives in Wheeling. If you thought that was weird, think about before it became a state and it was a part of Virginia. Virginia was a weird-lookin son of a bitch.

Or even New York before it acquired Vermont.

SNR
03-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Great thread, Rain Man

Taco John
03-19-2006, 10:38 PM
My next guess would've been if a time zone had anything to do with it

No, the time zone split is on the other side of the state... In fact there's a bridge called the "Time Zone" Bridge. On one side of the bridge, it's mountain time... On the other side, it's Pacific.

The line is a split is cultural. On the east side of that line are sheep humpers. On the west side, mostly Mormons & Mexicans.

Taco John
03-19-2006, 10:39 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=55222&stc=1

Holy shit. There's my home town... We're a DESTINATION BABY! RUPERT IN DA HOUSE!

In fact all my towns are on there... I was born in Rupert. I lived also in Pocatello for a year... I went to college in Mosco (up in the pan handle), and I spent a Summer in Boise.

listopencil
03-19-2006, 10:42 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=55222&stc=1

Holy shit. There's my home town... We're a DESTINATION BABY! RUPERT IN DA HOUSE!

In fact all my towns are on there... I was born in Rupert. I lived also in Pocatello for a year... I went to college in Mosco (up in the pan handle), and I spent a Summer in Boise.

Did you guys keep the beaver statue in Boise the years you won?

Taco John
03-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Or maybe I'm getting the history wrong... Maybe the border shape was an agreement between the two states to create a face of a leering man looking down his nose at those bastards in California.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 11:04 PM
No, the time zone split is on the other side of the state... In fact there's a bridge called the "Time Zone" Bridge. On one side of the bridge, it's mountain time... On the other side, it's Pacific.

The line is a split is cultural. On the east side of that line are sheep humpers. On the west side, mostly Mormons & Mexicans.

Wait a minute. Which side are you from again?

kregger
03-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I think he's split right down the middle.

greg63
03-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Kansas could only be described as Nirvana; the state of perfect nothingness.

Rausch
03-19-2006, 11:52 PM
If Arkansas is ever nuked you can follow that vast right-wing conspiracy right to my doorstep...

greg63
03-19-2006, 11:58 PM
If Arkansas is ever nuked you can follow that vast right-wing conspiracy right to my doorstep...

Can I help???

Archie F. Swin
03-20-2006, 02:04 AM
Delaware seems so underpopulated for an east coast state. Arkansas appears to have all the surrounding states encroaching on it. It looks like its struggling to avoid annexation.

Nightwish
03-20-2006, 02:20 AM
During the course of your Internet travels, you make the acquaintance of a nice person from Thailand named Santawanjanoop Parseethanawanapattapittyparwanathanasan. Santawanjanoop informs you that he/she (you don't know if Santawanjanoop is a male name or female name)I know this person. S/he is actually a hermaphrodite midget originally from the Punjab, but relocated to Thailand after seeing a stage production of The King and I. S/he is the correct pronoun. S/he recently asked me if anyone actually lives in the state of Delaware. I was stumped.

Edit: right after I posted this, I noticed that the Archie, the poster just above me, also mentioned the rather absent population of Delaware (I hadn't actually read the thread, only the first few entries on the first page, before I posted). How coincidental is that? ROFL

DenverChief
03-20-2006, 04:12 AM
And what about the Sans? San Diego, San Fransisco....

San Bernadino

chefsos
03-20-2006, 06:23 AM
I know this person. S/he is actually a hermaphrodite midget originally from the Punjab, but relocated to Thailand after seeing a stage production of The King and I. S/he is the correct pronoun. S/he recently asked me if anyone actually lives in the state of Delaware. I was stumped.

Edit: right after I posted this, I noticed that the Archie, the poster just above me, also mentioned the rather absent population of Delaware (I hadn't actually read the thread, only the first few entries on the first page, before I posted). How coincidental is that? ROFL
Hey, sorry about that. We were asleep. We're back now.

Speaking of weird borders, did you know that the only semi-circular state line in the US is here? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-Mile_Circle)

Skip Towne
03-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Missouri isn't much better with "Peculiar" and "Knob Noster".
Don't forget Blue Eye.

Inspector
03-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Always love a good mystery.

I'll say the state of Illinois, in the dining room, with the candle stick holder.

Rain Man
03-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Always love a good mystery.

I'll say the state of Illinois, in the dining room, with the candle stick holder.

Almost. It was indeed the state of Illinois, but in a basement dungeon with a snuff film strangulation.

Inspector
03-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Almost. It was indeed the state of Illinois, but in a basement dungeon with a snuff film strangulation.

Drat!

I was soooo close too.
:banghead:

Halfcan
03-20-2006, 08:21 PM

I guess you have not been up in the Northwest. It was sad to see millions of acres clear cut, that will never grow back. And they are fighting hard to open up Alaska to more drilling and lumber companies.

Like I said, I would like to see it, before it is ruined like many other parts of the North.

Halfcan
03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Wyoming was the first state to grant women the right to vote. Wyoming is not as populated as Montana, not sure why, but it seems that once you are out of view of the mountains in Wyoming, it is pretty desolate. Eastern Montana is desolate, too, but the western part has more forests and mountains, and consequently, more people.

Now as for a state I can't understand: California, definitely, and it is entirely because of the people there.

Thanks for the neg rep Bush lover. I just saw a show on the damage the pipeline has done in Alaska. There is an ongoing fight over oil and timber rights. Try reading the paper next time, before you judge someone's opinion.

The enviromental damage I witnessed in the North West is just sickning. It will take 10 generations to be back to normal.

Halfcan
03-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Of course he's being a dumbass.

If you mean he's simply trying to be a dumbass, then no, he's not.

Dumbass is his natural state.

Why is wanting to see an amazing place like Alaska, before it is spoiled, being a dumbass??

Why don't you go up to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada- and see first hand-how a beautiful area can be ruined beyond repair.

listopencil
03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey, sorry about that. We were asleep. We're back now.

Speaking of weird borders, did you know that the only semi-circular state line in the US is here? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-Mile_Circle)

Ha-ha. New Jersey got screwed.

banyon
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
nobody ever got to the bottom of that weird Idaho border, huh?

Maybe someday it'll be in a Time-Life Books series to explain the phenomenon.

chefsos
03-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Ha-ha. New Jersey got screwed.
Hehe. It's ****ed up logically, but it's established law now. If Jersey bitches about it again, we could just go totally douche and plant a few "Welcome to Delaware" signs on their riverbank.

Bugeater
03-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Hehe. It's ****ed up logically, but it's established law now. If Jersey bitches about it again, we could just go totally douche and plant a few "Welcome to Delaware" signs on their riverbank.

Iowa pulled some douchebaggery like that on us a few years back, if you look on the attached map you'll see where the Corp of Engineers changed the course of the Missouri river decades ago to take out the Carter Bend (Carter Lake now). So we end up with a little piece of Iowa on our side of the river. Well some jackasses in Iowa decide it would be a clever idea to put "Welcome to Iowa" signs on Abbott Drive, the main road to & from the airport. Ha ha.

chefsos
03-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Iowa pulled some douchebaggery like that on us a few years back, if you look on the attached map you'll see where the Corp of Engineers changed the course of the Missouri river decades ago to take out the Carter Bend (Carter Lake now). So we end up with a little piece of Iowa on our side of the river. Well some jackasses in Iowa decide it would be a clever idea to put "Welcome to Iowa" signs on Abbott Drive, the main road to & from the airport. Ha ha.

Funny. I was in Omaha several years ago and I remember my son-in-law telling me after my ride from the airport, "Yeah, it says Iowa but it's not really." I never got around to asking for an explanation; now I know the deal. :)

Frosty
03-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Nope. It's just me, my family and my close friends. We kill all of those Southern Californians stupid enough to wander up here.

Could you keep them from coming to Washington, please? They keep wandering up I-5 and then they stay in Washington when Canada turns them away.