PDA

View Full Version : Adam Morrison is the next Larry Bird

Ultra Peanut
03-19-2006, 04:09 PM
http://tinyurl.com/mjsg3

It's official.

POND_OF_RED
03-19-2006, 04:12 PM
if morrison is the next bird then redick is the next "pistol pete" maravich...

big nasty kcnut
03-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Adam Morrison is the next Adam Morrison. There will never be another Larry Bird.

Skip Towne
03-19-2006, 04:20 PM
OK

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Adam Morrison is the next white guy to average 15 PPG in the NBA!

Coach
03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
**** no. Morrison is not going to be the next Larry Bird.

HolmeZz
03-19-2006, 04:27 PM
He's the white Wally Sczerbiakaidjfejnwfsdkfkdkekjds.

FAX
03-19-2006, 04:30 PM
He could be the evolution of Larry Bird.

He could be the first Larry Flying Mammal.

FAX

Rooster
03-19-2006, 04:34 PM
No freakin way. :shake:

Coach
03-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Larry Bird Junior Season - 28.6 PPG, 14.9 REB, 5.5 AST, 53% FG, 84% FT

Bird averaged 10+ rebounds all three years at Indiana State, also never averaged below 4 assist per game in his college career. Now for Morrison.

Adam Morrison Junior Season - 28.6 PPG, 5.6 REB, 1.6 AST, 51% FG, 78% FT

Morrison has yet to average over 3 assist per game in his career, and has never averaged over 5 rebounds per game.

Not even close.

BigVE
03-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Larry Bird Junior Season - 28.6 PPG, 14.9 REB, 5.5 AST, 53% FG, 84% FT

Bird averaged 10+ rebounds all three years at Indiana State, also never averaged below 4 assist per game in his college career. Now for Morrison.

Adam Morrison Junior Season - 28.6 PPG, 5.6 REB, 1.6 AST, 51% FG, 78% FT

Morrison has yet to average over 3 assist per game in his career, and has never averaged over 5 rebounds per game.

Not even close.

Although not first team all NBA Bird also played good defense...defense is nowhere in Morrison's language.

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 04:40 PM
oooh, nbadraft.net compares him to...Larry Bird. LOL.

Comparison: Larry Bird

Strengths: A special talent ... Old school right down to the stripes on the socks ... Like a coach on the floor ... Incredibly competitive ... The game comes very easily to him ... A great player in the half court ... Can create offense for himself or others ... Really excels with the ball in his hands at the top of the key ... Very good scorer with complete offensive repertoire ... Effortless shooting stroke ... Has great anticipation and basketball understanding ... Great intangibles, competes and inspires others to play hard ... Hard worker ... Plays with great intensity and aggressiveness ... Fundamentally solid, does all the little things to help his team win ... A true competitor. Will not back down from anyone ... Wants to take the big shot ... Sees the floor well, and is creative finding teammates for baskets ... Catches and shoots, or can shoot on the move ... Great at moving without the ball ... Finds a way to score against better athletes ... Great leadership ability ...

Weaknesses: Not especially gifted athletically ... Lacks great foot speed getting out into transition ... Runs decent, but needs a head of steam ...Better hand speed than foot speed ... Leaping ability is average ... Plays hard on defense but lacks great lateral quickness ... Lack of a great first step will make it harder to get shots off against superior athletes ...

POND_OF_RED
03-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Although not first team all NBA Bird also played good defense...defense is nowhere in Morrison's language.
Then again defense is nowhere in the present NBA's language either...

BigVE
03-19-2006, 04:42 PM
True unless your the Piston's...this was a comparison of Morrison to Bird, not if he was ready to play in the offense first type game of the NBA.

Skip Towne
03-19-2006, 04:44 PM
The best thing Bird ever did was tell Bobby Knight to kiss his ass then taking tiny Indiana State to the NC game.

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Then again defense is nowhere in the present NBA's language either...
The NBA is starting to get a little better. It hit rock bottom in 2000, but slowly and surely, it's becoming more fun to watch.

POND_OF_RED
03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
So who has a better NBA career: Redick or Morrison?
Redick is one of the best shooters I have seen for ages but also has the Duke curse going for him.
Morrison is a great ballplayer but I personally think he just put up numbers against non competitive teams
My vote goes to Redick...

Amnorix
03-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Blasphemy!!!

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Redick is one of the best shooters I have seen for ages but also has the Duke curse going for him.
Morrison is a great ballplayer but I personally think he just put up numbers against non competitive teams
I think the Duke curse has evaporated as of late. Players like Boozer, Brand, Duhon, Battier, Maggette, etc. have played well.

For Redick, he's going to have to find a good fit. A team like Boston could use a Redick, but he'd be useless on a lot of teams. He won't be able to guard the NBA PG or SG, so he'll be a defensive liability. All he can really do is shoot lights out. A lot of guys in the NBA can shoot.

Morrison has more of an NBA body. He can also shoot lights out, but he has more of a presence. His inability to rebound has most mock drafts choosing LaMarcus Aldridge over him, and LaMarcus is a p*ssy. Most scouts are calling this draft class very weak.

Morrison has better potential, but I can see them both having solid careers in the NBA, it seems as if they both have their heads screwed on nice and tight.

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
did I mention that J.J. Redick's NBA comparison is Drazen Petrovic?!

banyon
03-19-2006, 05:08 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=135914&page=2&pp=15&highlight=Redick+Morrison

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Larry averaged like 10 rebounds a game and could play defense.

ROYC75
03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Morrison is overated. He'll have a hard time in the NBA.

tk13
03-19-2006, 06:04 PM
The real biggest difference between Bird and Morrison is passing ability. People forget just how great of a passer Bird was. I'm not sure there's a single player in the NBA since Magic and Bird retired that had the court vision those two had. I don't think Morrison even comes close.

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 06:17 PM
The real biggest difference between Bird and Morrison is passing ability. People forget just how great of a passer Bird was. I'm not sure there's a single player in the NBA since Magic and Bird retired that had the court vision those two had. I don't think Morrison even comes close.
It's just a much different game now. Today's NBA and the NBA of the early 80's is completely different.

tk13
03-19-2006, 06:24 PM
It's just a much different game now. Today's NBA and the NBA of the early 80's is completely different.
Even in the halfcourt-based game that we have today, Bird was still a much better passer.

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Even in the halfcourt-based game that we have today, Bird was still a much better passer.
I agree with you. Morrison is no Bird, but he'll face much better athletes in the NBA than Bird ever did.

tk13
03-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Well, Bird did play against Jordan, Magic, Dr. J, Dominque Wilkins... not too shabby. The game was just different. The defense probably wasn't as good, but they were in pretty good shape, they played at a much quicker pace. You watch those old Celtics-Lakers games... it's not like today where you just inbound the ball and walk it up the floor. A lot of times, the second the ball went through the hoop, they'd quickly grab it and kick it out and everybody would sprint the other way. In the mid 90's everybody started playing like the Knicks, take your time, be physical, eat up clock, and drag the game down into the 80's.

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, Bird did play against Jordan, Magic, Dr. J, Dominque Wilkins... not too shabby. The game was just different. The defense probably wasn't as good, but they were in pretty good shape, they played at a much quicker pace. You watch those old Celtics-Lakers games... it's not like today where you just inbound the ball and walk it up the floor. A lot of times, the second the ball went through the hoop, they'd quickly grab it and kick it out and everybody would sprint the other way. In the mid 90's everybody started playing like the Knicks, take your time, be physical, eat up clock, and drag the game down into the 80's.
I think the game in the Bird days resembles the college game right now. Of course the players in the NBA at that time were better, but the pace of the game is how a lot of college programs play basketball today.

FAX
03-19-2006, 06:42 PM
As an aside, Larry Bird comes from a place called "French Lick" Indiana. I believe I have the name right.

There is a man-made mountain/hill/rise-in-the-earth near there called "Paoli Peaks" that is used for skiing. Near the entrance to this place is a small motel with a restaurant attached. This restaurant makes their own pies every morning. Their cream pies are the very best this side of the Mississippi. They are warm out of the oven if you get there by 7:00 am. I recommend the banana cream or lemon. The pies are approximately 8 inches high in the center counting the marangue and the filling is extraordinarily good.

FAX THE FRIENDLY TOUR GUIDE

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 06:43 PM
As an aside, Larry Bird comes from a place called "French Lick" Indiana. I believe I have the name right.

There is a man-made mountain/hill/rise-in-the-earth near there called "Paoli Peaks" that is used for skiing. Near the entrance to this place is a small motel with a restaurant attached. This restaurant makes their own pies every morning. Their cream pies are the very best this side of the Mississippi. They are warm out of the oven if you get there by 7:00 am. I recommend the banana cream or lemon. The pies are approximately 8 inches high in the center counting the marangue and the filling is extraordinarily good.

FAX THE FRIENDLY TOUR GUIDE
Indeed, Bird is the "hick from French Lick."

CoMoChief
03-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Not to mention that Morrison can't play defense that is worth a shit.

Thig Lyfe
03-19-2006, 06:51 PM
It's funny how people are arguing with the original post... if they had clicked the link, they'd fdind that they are agreeing.

Short Leash Hootie
03-19-2006, 06:55 PM
It's funny how people are arguing with the original post... if they had clicked the link, they'd fdind that they are agreeing.
We're not arguing, we're debating.

The subject reads, Adam Morrison is the next Larry Bird. Just because the link contradicts the subject doesn't mean the topic can't be up for debate.