PDA

View Full Version : MacDougal to miss six weeks with an unusual muscle strain

Boardin Bronco
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060319&content_id=1355738&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

MacDougal sidelined for six weeks
Royals closer has strained muscle under right shoulder
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Royals closer Mike MacDougal is closed out for about six weeks.
MacDougal has a strained terres major muscle under his right shoulder and will begin the season on the disabled list.

Manager Buddy Bell said right-hander Ambiorix Burgos will take over the closer role.

Burgos, who had been a setup man for MacDougal, was selected over left-handers Andrew Sisco and Jeremy Affeldt and right-hander Denny Bautista.

"[We made the decision] because Burgos did it last year when Affeldt went down," Bell said, "and Affeldt and Bautista are still battling for a starting spot."

Trainer Nick Swartz said MacDougal was injured by one pitch in an outing last Wednesday. He underwent an MRI and was examined here by team physician Dr. Steve Joyce.

"It's a freak thing," Swartz said.

He said a survey of Major League clubs revealed three pitchers who have had the unusual injury and all are currently pitching. Orthopedists around the country will be consulted on the odd muscle strain.

MacDougal will not be allowed to touch a ball for four weeks and a return to the mound two weeks later seems to be the best-case scenario.

"I guess I aggravated my terres major. A friend of mine looked in a book and I was afraid that's what it was," MacDougal said.

"It stinks but it is what it is. I might be out a month or so, but I'll be back as good as ever."

MacDougal, who had 21 saves last season, was the pivotal figure in the young back end of the bullpen with Sisco and Burgos.

Bell went with Burgos because he has more closing experience -- two saves in six opportunities last season -- than Sisco, who was 0-for-4 in save opportunities.

Sisco, however, might get some save chances as well, Bell said.

The loss of MacDougal follows that of starters Zack Greinke and Mark Redman. There is no return date for Greinke, who is out because of personal matters. Redman, who had knee surgery, could return as early as April 14.

Bell is skeptical that Redman can return that soon, however.

"It's going to take him longer," Bell predicted.

With MacDougal out, another bullpen slot opens up. Only Burgos, Sisco and Elmer Dessens are considered locks so far.

"It's not good news, but we're going to have to deal with it," Bell said.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

CoMoChief
03-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow this doesnt surprise me at all. :rolleyes:

VonneMarie
03-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I bet he'll be out longer.

Demonpenz
sweeney is in a boot cast. The royals suck

4th and Long
You said unusual muscle strain so, naturally, I thought maybe he got caught pullin his pud in the bullpen or something.

VonneMarie
03-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok, opening day is coming up and we have no Greinke, Sweeney and now Mac? This blows. :banghead:

Demonpenz
03-19-2006, 06:35 PM
neffi perez all over again

big nasty kcnut
03-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Well the royals are winning in spring training so maybe it will translate into more wins during the regular season.

CoMoChief
neffi perez all over again

WOW that guy was a piece of shit.

4th and Long
Ok, opening day is coming up and we have no Greinke, Sweeney and now Mac? This blows. :banghead:
It's the Royals. What did you expect? They invent new ways to lose, every year.

Demonpenz
03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Oh well atleast i get to watch my beloved jayhawks

VonneMarie
03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
It's the Royals. What did you expect? They invent new ways to lose, every year.
I expect not to see half our roster on the DL to start the year. :banghead:

banyon
03-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Burgos did it last year when Affeldt went down," Bell said

I'm not sure that he really "did it" in the closers' role.'

I remember a couple of mound implosions.

Demonpenz
03-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I like when the teams are getting blown out and then our current manager of our great team says "Well we did good saving the bullpen"

4th and Long
03-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I expect not to see half our roster on the DL to start the year. :banghead:
You really need to lower the bar where your expectations are concerned with this team. If you don't, you're going to be disappointed until you're old and gray. :p

mikey23545
03-19-2006, 08:32 PM
WTF is it with Royals pitchers and injuries?

beavis
03-19-2006, 09:32 PM
WTF is it with Royals pitchers and injuries?
It never ceases to amaze me. We seem to find more different ways of injuring players than any other team in history. It's gotten way past the point of coincidence by now.

VonneMarie
03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
You really need to lower the bar where your expectations are concerned with this team. If you don't, you're going to be disappointed until you're old and gray. :p
The same can be said for all the KC teams. :rolleyes: