PDA

View Full Version : Rock Star, season 2

Over-Head
03-20-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1142510817178&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_HomeMetal supergroup to headline Rock Star First season of U.S. show won by Torontonian J.D.
Fortune Mar. 16, 2006. 06:41 PM

Former members of Metallica, Guns N' Roses and Motley Crue have banded together for the next season of Rock Star. Supernova ó featuring Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted and Gun N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke ó will use the popular reality TV show to find a lead singer. INXS did the same thing last year to enormous success, choosing Nova Scotia-bred J.D. Fortune to front the Australian band. Rock Star talent scouts are currently auditioning hopefuls around the world.

The crew stopped in Toronto earlier this week where about 2,000 tried their luck. The show heads to Vancouver on March 23 for more auditions. Last season, 15 finalists ó which included four Canadians ó were selected for the show, hosted by Dave Navarro and Brooke Burke. The winner of Rock Star will record an album with Supernova. The CD will be produced by Butch Walker, who's written or produced tracks for Avril Lavigne, Pink and Bowling for Soup.

Since his Motley Crue days, Lee has released three solo albums and most recently starred in the reality TV show Tommy Lee Goes to College.
Newsted left Metallica in 2003 to form Echobrain. He also performed with Voivod.
Since Guns N' Roses split, Clarke has worked with various artists including Michael Jackson and Lenny Kravitz.

The new season of Rock Star is expected to air this summer on Global.

Ok, Iím of two minds over this "line up"
Tommy Lee - Arguably one of the best Metal drummers out there, with wicked stage presence, experience of "how the business runís", not to mention a fixation with titties, and no stranger to hit songs that rock.

Jason Newsted - A great Bass player who for god only knows why LEFT Metalica. (IMO he finally figured out they were selling out and that Hatfield and Larz were noting more than money grabbing azzholes)

Gilby Clark. - IMO a better rythem player than Izzy who he replaced, does know his way around the fret board as a lead player, has written some "good songs" but nothing in his portfolio to show he could be a musical genius. Then again neither do the other two.

We have 2 has beenís, and a semi wanna be looking for a new singer.Personally I think they could have gone about it in a different way, but since all 3 have basically been out of the spot light so to speak for a few years, what better way to gain some exposure and start an aging career.
Could be interesting to see what the "elimination songs" are going to be, as it should be a given that all 3 GnR, Crue, and Metalica songs will undoubtedly end up on their live set. I watched the first "Rock Star" and enjoyed it. The house band was wicked!Plus J.D grew up 3 houses down from my best friend, so I knew him (and YES, heís just as big an idiot in real life as you thought he was on the show) and was glad to see a "home town boy" make it big.

StcChief
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
When I saw J.D. how committed I thought the same.
Either him or the Aussie would get the job.

This might be over the top to even have a 2nd season. JMO

foxman
03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I enjoyed last year. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

patteeu
03-20-2006, 01:30 PM
I liked the first Rock Star season much better than the American Idol episodes I've been exposed to. It made a lot of sense for a band like INXS to be seeking a new singer. This group is contrived specifically to do this show, which I guess is alright, but it's not quite as cool as the INXS idea (even though I suspect I'll like Supernova's music better than INXSv2.0's). I wouldn't be surprised to find out that recording a CD and maybe doing a few token shows are the only things this "band" does together much like how the Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire and the Bachelor and Bachelorette shows never really end up in a signficant marriage. Having said that, I'll probably watch the show during the final weeks if not during the entire run. As someone already mentioned, last year's house band was awesome.

Halfcan
03-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a Superdud.

Over-Head
03-21-2006, 04:43 AM
Sounds like a Superdud.
Doesnít it though?
I can see Tommy only wanting to party and score chicks
Gilby will relish the thoughts of being able to drink "Canadian Club" on national TV out of his trade mark coffee cup and get away with it.
Jason, now thereís the wild card.
I canít see this threesome lasting long.
The potential is increadible, but I just don't see it happening.:shake:

Nightwish
03-21-2006, 04:47 AM
The only person I'd watch it for would be Jason (and any hot chicks that might be among the prospective singers).

I never gave two shits about Gilby Clarke or any GnR incarnation after Appetite.

Tommy Lee is great with Motley, but outside of the Crue, he's just another lame-o.

htismaqe
03-21-2006, 06:51 AM
I don't think we have to worry about watching this. It's not gonna air on network TV...

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't think we have to worry about watching this. It's not gonna air on network TV...
Apparently, ratings....on CBS..... were pretty good.

Boy were you wrong.....eh? :p

htismaqe
09-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Apparently, ratings....on CBS..... were pretty good.

Boy were you wrong.....eh? :p

They did the right thing by getting some people that were at least PARTIALLY RELEVANT for this year.

Last year's show was abysmal, and anybody that still like INXS should be shot...

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2006, 12:24 PM
They did the right thing by getting some people that were at least PARTIALLY RELEVANT for this year.

Last year's show was abysmal, and anybody that still like INXS should be shot...

INXS has grossed over 14 million dollars on their latest US tour and have topped over 40 million, worldwide. I've never been much of a fan at all, but obviously somebody out there likes them.

htismaqe
09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
INXS has grossed over 14 million dollars on their latest US tour and have topped over 40 million, worldwide. I've never been much of a fan at all, but obviously somebody out there likes them.

So has David Hasselhoff. The world is FULL of people with bad taste...

DaneMcCloud
09-14-2006, 07:34 PM
So has David Hasselhoff. The world is FULL of people with bad taste...

My response didn't take taste into account. I was merely stating financial facts that seem to otherwise prove that INXS is irrelevant.

I am fairly certain however, that The Band With No Name will have no impact on the music scene or music sales. They'll be lucky to gross $2 million in their 28 shows.

DMAC
09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
So has David Hasselhoff. The world is FULL of people with bad taste...Which, AGAIN, proves my point...Germans love David Hasselhoff.

http://www.saturday-night-live.com/images/weekendupdate/macdonald.gif

DaneMcCloud
09-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Just to prove that Lukas had the gig "in the bag", check out www.myspace.com/supernova to hear two fully recorded and mastered songs featuring Lukas. Those tracks had to take weeks to cut and I seriously doubt they spent that much time in the studio with the other contestants.

That being said, it's clear they made the correct choice. His vocals are much clearer and less raspy than they were live and it really fits the music, IMO.

Deberg_1990
09-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Just to prove that Lukas had the gig "in the bag", check out www.myspace.com/supernova to hear two fully recorded and mastered songs featuring Lukas. Those tracks had to take weeks to cut and I seriously doubt they spent that much time in the studio with the other contestants.

That being said, it's clear they made the correct choice. His vocals are much clearer and less raspy than they were live and it really fits the music, IMO.

Yea i wondered that myself. Supernova probably knew weeks ago who they were going to pick, ar at least had a pretty damn good idea. I still liked Toby better overall and his voice.I think he would have been a better fit, but hey, its thier band, not mine.