PDA

View Full Version : Chef is back on South Park... sort of

Fried Meat Ball!
03-21-2006, 10:15 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/ap/nyet16403172155.hmedium.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11932124/

LOS ANGELES - Soul singer Isaac Hayes may have quit his job as the voice of Chef on “South Park” after a disagreement over religion, but his character will live on when the satiric cable TV cartoon returns to Comedy Central this week, the network said Monday.

Hayes and his “South Park” alter ego are at the center of an ongoing flap over an episode last November that poked fun at the Church of Scientology and its celebrity adherents, including actor Tom Cruise.

The 10th season of “South Park” will launch Wednesday with a new episode titled “The Return of Chef!”, marking the “triumphant homecoming” of lusty school cafeteria cook James “Chef” McElroy to the show, the network said in a statement.

Hayes, 63, himself a follower of Scientology, surprised producers a week ago by announcing he was leaving the series because he objected to its “inappropriate ridicule” of religion, though he made no reference to the show’s spoof of Scientology last fall.

Two days later, Comedy Central abruptly pulled a scheduled repeat of that episode, titled “Trapped in the Closet.” Sources close to the show said the rerun was canceled after Cruise threatened to boycott promotion of his upcoming film, “Mission: Impossible III,” for sister studio Paramount Pictures.

Representatives for Cruise and the studio denied this. But “South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone fed the furor by issuing a statement suggesting the Church of Scientology was behind the decision to scrap the rerun.

The network has also noted that various religions including Christianity, Judaism and Islam have been targets of the show’s satire since its inception.

The network statement announcing Chef’s return for the “South Park” season premiere this Wednesday was a clear sign that Parker and Stone planned to use the Hayes imbroglio as further grist for their comedy.

“Knowing these guys as I do, I can’t imagine that they’re not going to do just that,” Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox told Reuters. He added that the producers routinely “turn around” new episodes in just six days, leaving them ample time to incorporate last week’s dust-up into their season debut.

Fox said he assumed someone besides Hayes would supply Chef’s voice. Details of the new episode were vague.

But a network synopsis said the fictional town of South Park, Colorado, is “jolted out of a case of the doldrums when Chef suddenly reappears,” leading to new antics by the group of foul-mouthed fourth graders who are the show’s stars.

“While Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are thrilled to have their old friend back, they notice that something about Chef seems different. When Chef’s strange behavior starts getting him in trouble, the boys pull out all the stops to save him,” the network said.

“South Park,” launched in 1997, remains the highest-rated series on Comedy Central, which like Paramount, is owned by Viacom Inc..

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

jspchief
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
This should be a good one. :)

Rain Man
03-21-2006, 10:18 AM
I'll bet that Chef comes back with a high voice after being castrated in a secret Scientology ritual.

chefsos
03-21-2006, 10:34 AM
I love it. This is gonna be brutal. And, if Cruise still has pull within the studio, a one-time airing. Gentlemen, start your TiVos.

Dunit35
03-21-2006, 10:45 AM
This going to be awesome. Can't wait for tomorrow to come.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-21-2006, 10:47 AM
I love it. This is gonna be brutal. And, if Cruise still has pull within the studio, a one-time airing. Gentlemen, start your TiVos.
Yeah, as soon as M:I3 comes out, they'll be back on the air, though.

Cochise
03-21-2006, 10:51 AM

No kidding. I just went over to the Tivo website and scheduled my DVR to record it just in case I forgot.

BigRock
03-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Have you seen this? It came out yesterday....

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,188463,00.html

Isaac Hayes did not quit "South Park." My sources say that someone quit it for him.

I can tell you that Hayes is in no position to have quit anything. Contrary to news reports, the great writer, singer and musician suffered a stroke on Jan. 17. At the time it was said that he was hospitalized and suffering from exhaustion.

It’s also absolutely ridiculous to think that Hayes, who loved playing Chef on "South Park," would suddenly turn against the show because they were poking fun at Scientology.

(...)

Friends in Memphis tell me that Hayes did not issue any statements on his own about South Park. They are mystified.

“Isaac’s been concentrating on his recuperation for the last two and a half, three months,” a close friend told me.

Hayes did not suffer paralysis, but the mild stroke may have affected his speech and his memory. He’s been having home therapy since it happened.

That certainly begs the question of who issued the statement that Hayes was quitting "South Park" now because it mocked Scientology four months ago. If it wasn’t Hayes, then who would have done such a thing?

Taco John
03-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Are you suggesting that Trey and Matt staged this event in order to boost ratings for their season premiere?

That'd be genius if it's the case...

Taco John
03-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Ha! and then they have the studio pull the episode and they plant a story that Tom Cruise influenced teh decision! Ha! That would be genius.

Baby Lee
03-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Are you suggesting that Trey and Matt staged this event in order to boost ratings for their season premiere?

That'd be genius if it's the case...
The scuttle is that Scientology interests took on the delicate task of quitting for him.

Sure-Oz
03-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I heard on the radio yesterday Issac Hayes didn't quit, the church of scientology did it for him....he can't talk much if at all now days cause he had a stroke recently....that is why no one is hearing from him.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-21-2006, 11:29 AM
If I was Isaac Hayes' agent I'd be having a cow right about now if that's true.

Sure-Oz
03-21-2006, 11:31 AM
If I was Isaac Hayes' agent I'd be having a cow right about now if that's true.
his agents probably a scientologist too... ROFL

I surely hope he can get better and explain whats going on....

dr00d
03-21-2006, 01:30 PM
you've been punked!

HolmeZz
03-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Did anyone watch tonight? ROFL

All of Chef's dialogue was just clips from past shows, and he only spoke in small sentences.

Dave Lane
03-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah it was weird. I guess now they can have some fun with Darth Chef.

Dave

Dunit35
03-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Did anyone watch tonight? ROFL

All of Chef's dialogue was just clips from past shows, and he only spoke in small sentences.

Yeah, it was mainly his "make love to you" song.

But still funny as hell.

Butters line was the coolest.

Count Zarth
03-23-2006, 12:27 AM
So...Scientologists gave Issac Hayes a stroke.

Those bastards.

Rausch
03-23-2006, 01:04 AM
So...Scientologists gave Issac Hayes a stroke.

Those bastards.

Nah.

They just used it to further their New-age-Swaggart-money-making-cult bull$#it...

SLAG
03-23-2006, 07:46 AM
That Episode was fuggin Awesome....

I hope those damn Scientologist Eat a big fat Turd with Hot Sauce

jspchief
03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Well, the episode didn't disappoint. They did a pretty good job at aiming it more at the religion that at Chef/Hayes, which makes me believe the stories that it wasn't really Chef's decision.

SLAG
03-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Well, the episode didn't disappoint. They did a pretty good job at aiming it more at the religion that at Chef/Hayes, which makes me believe the stories that it wasn't really Chef's decision.

I agree JSP, yet I dont see any Press Releases from Camp Hayes to contradict the current reports. If my religion was going to speak on my behalf and I didnt agree with it you better believe that I will speak up for the truth... I dont see that coming from Chef's Camp.

BTW..

The Super Adventure Club Really Likes to Molest Children

Sure-Oz
03-23-2006, 08:16 AM
That was one of the funniest episodes..

jspchief
03-23-2006, 08:27 AM
The cop with the molester doll was fuggin hilarious.

melbar
03-23-2006, 08:55 AM
I heard he had a Scientology "helper" stationed at his hospital room.