PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Denney

Hog Farmer
03-22-2006, 09:23 AM
What's up with this guy. He's 6'7" and was part of the Bills defense that only allowed us 3 points. I do believe he had a sack on Trent that game.

Should we make him an offer ? I guess Carl's taken a look see.

Woodrow Call
03-22-2006, 09:26 AM
His stats are not very impressive but Krumrie and Blackmon both coached him in Buffalo so they might know something we don't.

He should come cheap so its woth a shot.

RedThat
03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Was he a back or a starter in Buffalo?

Can he be any worse than Eric Hicks? :shrug:

Woodrow Call
03-22-2006, 09:31 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302186

28 tackles 4 sacks last year

Woodrow Call
03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/denney_ryan.htm

ANALYSIS
Positives: Tall, rangy athlete with long arms and a thick chest Gets off the snap in an instant and has impressive upfield acceleration Very quick to diagnose the plays and is rarely caught out of position Has the balance and leg drive to hold firmly at the point of attack Uses his rip and swim moves to split combo blocks and delivers vicious arm swipes to stack Stays low to jam the tight ends at the line and has a jarring hand punch to rock the blockers back Possesses the lateral agility needed to make plays in pursuit and is very quick to penetrate from the backside Wraps securely, extending his arms to insure the ball carrier goes down Has the knee bend to gain leverage and shows good spin moves to elude His hand punch is evident in the two-gap, as he quickly locks out the blocker Chases with an explosive burst and keeps his balance sliding down the line Has the frame that can easily add 15 pounds with no speed dropoff His huge wingspan poses sight problems for the smaller quarterbacks to scan the field and also comes into play with his penchant for blocking punts.

Negatives: Struggles at times to defend vs. the run when he fires out too high off the snap Loses leverage at times because of his height Age (25) is a concern, as he served two years on a church mission before enrolling in college While fast, he does not accelerate as one would like when rushing the passer Weight room figures don't always translate to the football field.

Hog Farmer
03-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I just checked the Bills message board and the fans there mostly want him gone, calling him an underachiever. They moved up in the 2nd round to get him. Some say he may just need a change of scenery.
My gut feeling says No to signing him, go ahead and spend the money on a free agent corner and draft our DE/DT.

kaplin42
03-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Was he a back or a starter in Buffalo?

Can he be any worse than Eric Hicks? :shrug:

Seriously!!! That would be my thinking, seems like he is a better pass rusher, so use him in those pass rushing downs and Hicks on the run stopping downs.

Chiefnj
03-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Bills fans on Denney:

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123697&st=0

CoMoChief
03-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm never gonna let this go. Still shouldve signed Rocky Benard.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-22-2006, 09:54 AM
What the hell - I'll be pissed if we sign him

Might as well bring back Duane Clemons

SLAG
03-22-2006, 09:54 AM
is he the next ryan sims?

Spicy McHaggis
03-22-2006, 10:23 AM
If we sign Denney and then pass on Hali if he's on the board when we pick.... well I'm coming after someone.

RedThat
03-22-2006, 10:56 AM
What the hell - I'll be pissed if we sign him

Might as well bring back Duane Clemons

if only every offensive tackle in the league can be like Jordan Black? Then the Ryan Denney signing won't be so bad after all.....:D;)

petegz28
03-22-2006, 10:58 AM
How many sacks did Hicks have?

wolfpack0735
03-22-2006, 11:04 AM
not doing anything pi$$es me off the most. or bring in 3rd rate players trying to be 1st rate players. but we resigned players like burntee for a million.Hunt is to blame as much as queen carl. :banghead:

nychief
03-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't understand the indignation. From what I can tell, save last season Bernard was no great shakes - even then he was only a part timer. You guys fall in love with the FA lists that places like sportsline.com put out - then are pissed if we don't sign the top rated guy. I look at Denney and he is player with potential still, room to grow.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't understand the indignation. From what I can tell, save last season Bernard was no great shakes - even then he was only a part timer. You guys fall in love with the FA lists that places like sportsline.com put out - then are pissed if we don't sign the top rated guy. I look at Denney and he is player with potential still, room to grow.

"Potential" - ah, what a catchphrase in the Chiefs organization

Potential is not going to take us to a SB this year

You don't sign someone with "Potential" now and say, "well, in a few years when we have no shot at a SB and are in complete rebuilding mode he MIGHT be good"

milkman
03-22-2006, 11:45 AM

The difference is that Rocky Bernard was a 5th round project, 26 years old going into next season, that last season was just reaching his potential, whereas Ryan Denney was a 2nd rounder who, at 29 years old going into next season, should have already reached his potential.

nychief
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
oh, he is a morman missionary! I didn't realize he was 29. I'd still take a flyer - he is not going to break the bank. I am still not in love with Part Time Bernard. The fact is we have shown little interest in keeping Daulton from what I can tell, so we will be in the market for at DT on draft day, I think that is safe to say. I guess it depends on if we make a push for Law or Woodson, ha ha...

jspchief
03-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere else, but Denney was signed to a 4 year contract with Buffalo today.