PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Race To Defeat Avian Flu

Lzen
03-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Fighting Fire With Fire
By recreating an extinct virus that killed as many as 50 million people, scientists race to defeat avian flu before it evolves into a deadlier form.

Last spring, microbiologist Terrence Tumpey was at work in his office at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta when a FedEx package arrived for him in the main reception area. Upon seeing the return address of his colleague Peter Palese, at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, Tumpey took the package to a high-containment lab and locked it in a freezer. The contents merited serious protection. Three vials of saline solution, each about the size of a ballpoint pen cap, held the genes of the virus responsible for the Spanish Flu of 1918--the deadliest influenza pandemic ever to hit mankind. By inserting the genes into human kidney cells, Tumpey soon would make a stunning biomedical breakthrough: bringing an extinct virus back to life.

A BOLD STRATEGY
By the end of World War I, the Spanish Flu had killed between 20 million and 50 million people worldwide. Then, 79 years later, another strain of avian flu jumped straight from birds to humans. Unlike the Spanish Flu, H5N1--first detected in Hong Kong in 1997--does not yet pass easily from human to human, a fact that has kept its death toll under 100. But that could change at any moment. A handful of the nation's top virologists are racing to develop new tools to fight H5N1 before the virus evolves, unleashing a pandemic. Their plan is to produce a deadly strain of influenza virus themselves, essentially beating nature to the punch. "The goal," says CDC spokesman Dave Daigle, "is to create the worst-case scenario so we can develop the best diagnostics, vaccines and antivirals offering the greatest protection."

Read the rest of the PM article here (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/medicine/2421161.html)

58-4ever
03-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I come here to get away from the news. I already know I'm going to die, so thanks for reminding me AGAIN! STFU

Lzen
03-22-2006, 12:24 PM
We all are gonna die someday. :)

chefsos
03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
"Next season, 24 begins at the CDC, where a scientist under the influence of a heretofore unknown terrorist group..."

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
"Next season, 24 begins at the CDC, where a scientist under the influence of a heretofore unknown terrorist group..."Didn't season two basically cover this?

chefsos
03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Didn't season two basically cover this?
I slept through season two.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 12:49 PM
I slept through season two.Season two was a magnificent bastard of a season, and part of the reason why the George Mason Patriots have my full support.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 01:17 PM
And I meant season three in my original post. I don't know what's wrong with me, other than that I'm a retard.

chefsos
03-22-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm at a loss for an intelligent reply to any of this, so here's a peanut butter incident.
http://www.brown-college.org/albums/album01/peanut_butter_demon_andy.sized.jpg

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
oh no

Radar Chief
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article350787.ece

Man are you guys ever out’a the loop.
The “Avian Flu” is all a hoax perpetuated to scare the public and line the pockets of the “Neocon Cabal”.
ROFL

Iowanian
03-22-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm not buying the birdflu hype.

Swine flu was going to kill the world in 76....a decade ago it was avian flu...SARS was the end of us all a couple of years ago.

I believe this to be more of a media flame fanning.

Stop autostimulating yourself with turkeys and chickens and you'll be fine.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Uh... bird flu is avian flu.

The reason avian flu could end up being really dangerous is, if it ends up being readily communicable on a human-to-human basis, it doesn't have as high a mortality rate in its current state as something like SARS did -- thus making it longer-lived and more likely to spread.

Radar Chief
03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Uh... bird flu is avian flu.

:shrug: Guess I’m miss’n where anyone posted it wasn’t.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm not buying the birdflu hype.

Swine flu was going to kill the world in 76....a decade ago it was avian flu...

Iowanian
03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that stunning incite.

The Avian flu was the rage in the early 90s....and now its returned.

I guess I should have used a crayon.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
. . .
I guess I should have used a crayon.If you're going to go the "hurrr u r dumn" route, at least spell "insight" correctly.

Iowanian
03-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm sure you were disappointed to find out that the thread about bird flu had nothing to do with that miserable Plucked Quail you're dancing in front of the mirror with.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm sure you were disappointed to find out that the thread about bird flu had nothing to do with that miserable Plucked Quail you're dancing in front of the mirror with.Quite.

Hog Farmer
03-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Hey Peanut, Your ****ing avatar gives me a goddam headache, could you please change it to something that doesn't move!!!!!

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey Peanut, Your ****ing avatar gives me a goddam headache, could you please change it to something that doesn't move!!!!!
what

Radar Chief
03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Would this be better?

Yea, I know. Stupid question.

Hog Farmer
03-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Would this be better?

Yea, I know. Stupid question.

That makes my other head ache. But I can live with that.

Lzen
03-22-2006, 02:54 PM

The Avian flu was the rage in the early 90s....and now its returned.

I guess I should have used a crayon.

It was? I don't recall that. Hmmm.
:hmmm:

Iowanian
03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
http://www.thetriangle.org/media/paper689/news/2005/12/02/SciTech/Avian.Influenza.Pandemic.Scare.Currently.Unfounded-1119629.shtml?norewrite200603221619&sourcedomain=www.thetriangle.org

Lzen...here is a link that discusses some of the flu pandemics and scares. It references 1997 as a past Avian flu scare

http://www.hhs.gov/nvpo/pandemics/flu3.htm

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 03:45 PM
"Hey! If you had a choice between being the top scientist in your field, and getting mad cow disease, which one would you choose?"

Lzen
03-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Interesting information. Hey Iowanian, did you read the whole Popular Mechanics article that I posted links to? If not, you should. It discusses how scientists ressurected the extinct Spanish Flu of 1918.

One way to find out would be to use the genetic sequence--the blueprints of the virus--to build the 1918 flu and see how it works. And so, as Taubenberger's team sequenced the flu's genes one by one, Palese's team at Mount Sinai synthesized the sequences and stitched them into loops of bacterial DNA. These were the genes Palese sent by FedEx to Atlanta, and Tumpey inserted into human kidney cells for replication. The more components of the 1918 flu he received, the more potent the virus that Tumpey was able to create. With the shipment of the remaining three genes last spring, he was finally able to inject the entire 1918 virus into mice. They began dying in as few as three days. Even more startling: In low doses, the H5N1 virus proved 10 times more virulent in mice than the 1918 strain.

Iowanian
03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
I missed that part.

I'm sure it has potential to mutate, but more than likely, some well intentioned scientist will put a supermanFlu cape on it and release it to the world by not washing his hands.

chiefqueen
03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
I just sneezed.......how long do I have to live?