PDA

View Full Version : Jerseys and Team Loyalty

Rain Man
03-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Here's the deal. There's a sports shop down the street from my office, and they sell all sorts of jerseys. This week, they put up a bunch of retro jerseys, so they've got jerseys for guys like Unitas and Earl Campbell and Jerry Rice and a bunch of other guys, including Joe Delaney, believe it or not.

That Unitas jersey is really cool. It's the old Baltimore jersey, which is a really nice blue, and of course it's #19.

Am I a traitor to the Chiefs if I buy it?

Ari Chi3fs
03-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Here's the deal. There's a sports shop down the street from my office, and they sell all sorts of jerseys. This week, they put up a bunch of retro jerseys, so they've got jerseys for guys like Unitas and Earl Campbell and Jerry Rice and a bunch of other guys, including Joe Delaney, believe it or not.

That Unitas jersey is really cool. It's the old Baltimore jersey, which is a really nice blue, and of course it's #19.

no, it means you are a knowledgeable fan of the game...you are a traitor to the Chiefs because you live in Denver.

Over-Head
03-22-2006, 11:59 AM

Indeed sir you are.
If found buying ANYTHING other than a Chiefs jersey you should be forced to walk across hot coals barefooted, hung, shot , pissed upon, and forever banned from the Planet.
Red and Gold baby, NO OTHER COLOR WILL DO!!!:shake:

Now on the other hand a greasy oleí Ra!der fan like míself could get away with it no problem. :D

Rain Man
03-22-2006, 12:02 PM
My initial thinking agrees with Overhead. I'm a fan of the game and I appreciate guys like Unitas, but I would still feel dirty wearing anything other than a Chiefs jersey.

Hmm. Maybe I could buy an extinct team's jersey. Pottstown Maroons, or Decatur Staleys or something. That might be permissible.

morphius
03-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, Nzoner has his room decorated with a bunch of teams jerseys, which is okay. But to actually wear one, umm, no.

rageeumr
03-22-2006, 12:10 PM
This topic is interesting. I love the Royals as much as I love the Chiefs, yet over the course of my life I bet I have owned hats for at least 12 different baseball teams, but I wouldn't be caught dead in another team's football jersey. There are a couple of schools of thought here.

#1 - The Royals are not as passionately followed in this city, and subconciously I know that no one will give me crap about it (even if I wear my dirty SouthSiders hat).

#2 - I don't really wear jerseys unless I am going to a game. In high school I probably had 5 or 6 NBA jerseys at any point, but I have never really worn football jerseys.

What is the point of this post, you ask? By this point I have forgotten. I guess my vote would be as long as it wasn't a Denver, SD or Suckland jersey, you're cool in my book (or Seattle, it hasn't been THAT long.)

Over-Head
03-22-2006, 12:12 PM
My initial thinking agrees with Overhead..
You talken about the jersey, or the fact Iím a greasy Raider fan? :hmmm:

Mile High Mania
03-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Let's say you had to buy a jersey...

You had to choose between Unitas and a Grbac KC jersey... or Lin Elliot... what do you do?

I didn't like any of your options. So, if it's a throwback jersey and the # of any legend (living or dead) there shouldn't really be an issue.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
If you're a rapper.

Otherwise, jerseys don't work for anybody.

StcChief
03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
It's your money.

RedNFeisty
03-22-2006, 01:17 PM
no, it means you are a knowledgeable fan of the game...you are a traitor to the Chiefs because you live in Denver.

ROFL
Yeah, what he said.

Stryker
03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a Lawrence Taylor Mitchell and Ness. I also have a Joe Horn Saints away jersey (authentic).

InChiefsHell
03-22-2006, 02:00 PM
The only reason to buy another teams jersey is if you plan to desecrate it somehow...like wipe your ass or use it to change the oil in your car or something...*edit* Not necessarily in that order...

Dremel
03-22-2006, 02:25 PM
I made an acception with my Walter Peyton Jersey my
Vanover Jersey is my thrasher

sedated
03-22-2006, 03:01 PM
If you're a rapper.

Otherwise, jerseys don't work for anybody.

bingo! (especially throwbacks)

the only reason I buy them is for game day, therefore I would only buy a chiefs jersey.

Dunit35
03-22-2006, 04:45 PM
I used to wear a different KC players jersey everyday back in junior high.

I wouldn't ever buy another team's jersey...throwback or not.

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 05:23 PM
AND...........he drives an orange car. Prolly has blue interior.

Raiderhater58
03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
without a doubt you would be frowned upon... I would love to have a Mean Joe Green jersey but my loyalty to Red and Gold will never let me have one

Psyko Tek
03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
sweetness,
and only sweetness is acceptable

stevieray
03-22-2006, 07:46 PM
How much was the Delaney jersey?

mac58
03-22-2006, 07:48 PM
only chiefs jerseys for me. . .but its cool if u buy some wayback jerseys. . .i just dont feel right about it

gblowfish
03-22-2006, 08:08 PM
I've only owned two NFL jerseys that were not Chiefs. One is a Walter Payton Bears "34" jersey, the other Jerry Rice "80" 49ers jersey. Both were gifts given to me.

No self respecting Chiefs fan would own ANYTHING Donkos, or Faiders or Bolts.

big nasty kcnut
03-22-2006, 08:18 PM
I own a jerome bettis st.louis jersey.

whtgldwldr
03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I own an alternate (black with gold and teal) jacksonville Keenan McCardell jersey...cuz i have mad respect for Mccardell. And I once owned a Mccardell bucs jersey...but it got stolen...dammit.

CHENZ A!
03-22-2006, 08:47 PM

I know that the Chiefs jerseys have not changed much at all, but does the Delaney jersey look at all different from the current ones? or is it just a #37 with his last name on the back of a shiny new one? My old man has been wanting either a Buck Buchanon, Otis taylor, or Joe Delaney jersey for awhile, but I don't want to buy him one that looks like our new stuff. thanks.

CoMoChief
03-22-2006, 09:49 PM
I dont remember too well because I was too young at the time, but did Bo Jackson get bood at Arrowhead Stadium when the Raiders came into town?

CoMoChief
03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
I OWN A TERRELL DAVIS JERSEY!!!!!!!

jk :p

Nzoner
03-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I just bought new Brian Urlacher and Mike Rucker jerseys from our SportsNutz which is going out of business and no they're not for the gameroom wall just yet,in fact I'm wearing my Rucker right now.

Rain Man
03-22-2006, 10:59 PM
How much was the Delaney jersey?

I haven't checked yet, but I can do so if you're interested.

In reading through this thread, it appears that many of my fellow Chiefs fans have already grappled with this serious and sensitive issue.

Rain Man
03-22-2006, 11:04 PM
I know that the Chiefs jerseys have not changed much at all, but does the Delaney jersey look at all different from the current ones? or is it just a #37 with his last name on the back of a shiny new one? My old man has been wanting either a Buck Buchanon, Otis taylor, or Joe Delaney jersey for awhile, but I don't want to buy him one that looks like our new stuff. thanks.

I didn't look too closely, but something seemed different about it. I think maybe it didn't have the gold/yellow trim on it. Something about it doesn't look like it's just a modern #37 (aside from the Delaney name, of course.)

Interestingly, for a long time the store had a bunch of the 2005 first-round jerseys - Alex Smith, Merriman, Demarcus Ware, that WR from Cleveland, etc. They only recently switched it out to these retro jerseys, and two of the dozen or so in the window are Chiefs - DT and Delaney. Between them, Unitas, and a few other guys I don't recall right now, they had an awful lot of jerseys of dead players, and I wonder if that's intentional or not.