PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had arthroscopic knee surgery?

Fried Meat Ball!
03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Tell me your problems/experiences... my wife has torn some cartilage in her knee. She saw the orthopedic surgeon this morning and he said it was bad enough she'd NEED surgery... after a month it's still swollen, hurts her every day now, and has this really sexy fluid buildup bubble :Lin:

Anyway, we're both a little nervous... she's supposed to have surgery next Wednesday -- I know arthoscopic is better than most knee surgeries, but what are your experiences.

Let me know how long it's been since you had it done, too. I mostly interested in possible long-term effects. I know knee surgery can complicate arthritis and such...

THanks!

4th and Long
03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
It's quick, it's clean (for a surgery,) the recovery time is much shorter, and it makes a woman's breasts get much larger.

OK, I made up that last part, but see if she falls for it anyway.

Dunit35
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
I know a guy that has torn both of his ACL's three times. He came back and played each spring. So yeah, what 4th said.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
It's quick, it's clean (for a surgery,) the recovery time is much shorter, and it makes a woman's breasts get much larger.

OK, I made up that last part, but see if she falls for it anyway.
I doubt it... she'd have kittens if it were true. She thinks her 36Cs are too big as it is.

KCfaninOK
03-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Had it done my junior year in high school two days before christmas(97). I was wrestling at the time, i was back on the mat 3 weeks later. Quick recovery, my flexibility in that leg took a while to get back to normal but other than that, no real problems, was told i will probably have arthritis in it when im older, but 25 now and nothing yet.

JBucc
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
My dad tore some cartilage in his knee working on a C-130. He's had problems with it ever since and has had several surgerys and it still hurts him. I'm sure your wife's will go much smoother though. I guess his surgeon just sucks.

jiveturkey
03-22-2006, 07:09 PM
I've had it done on both knees.

It's quick and easy and she should be at 100% after about 3 months or so.

Iowanian
03-22-2006, 07:10 PM
"oooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch"

I've had a scope...it was alot easier than the rest of it. Its not that big of a deal in the big picture, however, any surgery comes with its risks.

DomerNKC
03-22-2006, 07:18 PM
acl replacement 13 years ago. 2 surgeries since then just to clean out the joint.

Simplex3
03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Had the left one done twice, the worst part is coming out of the anesthesia. For me it was cleaning out lots of scar tissue, smoothing off the back of my knee cap and the top surface of the tibia/fibia, then drilling up into the femur. So, mine were pretty extensive as arthoscopic knee surgeries go.

Don't rush straight to the drug store and buy the post-op pain pills. I never took one of them after either of my surgeries. I felt better afterwards than I did going in. The big thing is getting off the crutches and back on the leg ASAP. The first time I had surgery they had me on crutches for a month and I've never regained anywhere near the mobility in my left hip.

As for the arthritis claims some people make, I think that is brought on by the injury more than the surgery to repair it.

Tell you wife it's no big deal. If she's had the knee drained with that monster horse needle they use then she's already been in more pain than the surgery will cause her.

She might even opt to do one of those spinal blocks instead of general anesthesia.

milkman
03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
I had knee reconstruction in '97.

Was in rehab for nine months, and my knee has never been the same since the injury.

papasmurf
03-22-2006, 08:27 PM
I had both knees done at the same time 3 years ago. Was back to work carrying a mail route 6 weeks later. no problem.

Simplex3
03-22-2006, 10:04 PM
I had knee reconstruction in '97.

Was in rehab for nine months, and my knee has never been the same since the injury.
Like it was "the same" BEFORE the surgery.

Pitt Gorilla
03-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Honestly, a cleanup is nothing. She'll be fine in no time. If she has to have an ACL or MCL, then the rehab is more extensive.

chefsos
03-22-2006, 11:09 PM
My ex-girlfriend had to get her knee scoped (meniscus) and it was probably three weeks before she could get around properly; that was a week longer than projected. I'm not sure why. Two cool things:

1) We were sent home with a wrap for swelling, with ice water circulating through it and back via tubes to the ice filled BEER COOLER.

2) Sex in the weeks after the surgery is the best ever. Why? Because you can do any depraved, ****ed up thing you want, and she can't chase you down and kill you. (Well, you can do it once anyway, so open up that playbook.)

dj56dt58
03-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I know Kerry Wood is having it done and it's supposed to set him back like 1 to 2 weeks so i'm guessing it's not that bad.

MOhillbilly
03-23-2006, 07:06 AM
gettin out of a waterbed is NO fun.worn out arm pits till you get good w/ crutches.

blew mine out in 93' and broke a bone off my leg. the waterbed had to go.

but mygod the sympathy pussy.(haha a firm matress helped loads):p

doesnt work in your case so, meh.

Dartgod
03-23-2006, 08:09 AM
I had a torn meniscus in my left knee done about three years ago. It was really no big deal. I missed two days from work (desk job) and only had to take precribed pain pills for one day and only spent two days on crutches.

A month later I bowled back-to-back 600+ series.

Poster Nutbag
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Meniscectomy on both knees about 1 year apart. They "trimmed" the back of each meniscus.

It was quite fun to watch the video provided by my surgeon. I learned a lot about what he had to do. It also made getting the 2nd one done an easy decision after I had seen the damage he repaired to the first.

One thing is, I have to have it done again on one. As someone mentioned earlier, she may need to have it cleaned up later but that's better than being in pain all the time.

Final thought - DO THE REHAB! I was lazy the first time and it took a while to be fully functional.

Good luck to her. Should be a breeze.

MOhillbilly
03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Final thought - DO THE REHAB! I was lazy the first time and it took a while to be fully functional.

i did rehab. Six months of framing houses w/ cokeheads.