PDA

View Full Version : Huggins Offered Job At K-State

Marco Polo
03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9329296

Former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins is considering an offer to become the new coach at Kansas State, CBS SportsLine.com learned Wednesday night.

Although a controversial figure, Huggins would be an ideal fit for a floundering Kansas State program that a.) needs a jolt of energy and legitimacy and b.) has always struggled to find mainstream recruits.

Huggins knows how to plumb junior colleges and other off-the-path places for talent, and he already has a handful of players ready to follow him anywhere -- most notably 7-foot-2 center Jason Bennett, a high school senior from Jacksonville, Fla. Huggins also would be the frontrunner to sign two of the top five players from the class of 2007, O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker from the Cincinnati suburb of North College Hill, Ohio.

Kansas State athletics director Tim Weiser has spent considerable time speaking with the NCAA and other sources about Huggins' background -- which has had equal parts smoke and fire -- and has been assured that Huggins would be a solid hire.

Cincinnati forced out Huggins in August after he lost a power struggle with president Nancy Zimpher. Huggins had hoped to land a higher-profile job this offseason -- most notably at Missouri or perhaps Arizona State -- but those schools are going in other directions.

Marco Polo
03-22-2006, 06:29 PM
What does KU fans think about this?

Sure-Oz
03-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Lock your doors and shut your windows lol

KevB
03-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Lock your doors and shut your windows lol

Does that include drive thru windows?

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 06:36 PM

Chalupa, please

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Manhattan will no longer be safe after dark.

JBucc
Does that include drive thru windows?Why have a window if it's just gonna be driven through?

Sure-Oz
Yes, you must actually walk inside and stand in line haha, carry a gat wit chu too lol

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Manhattan will no longer be safe after dark.

Why? Is JR Giddens moving back to the Kansas area?

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Why? Is JR Giddens moving back to the Kansas area?
Giddens can't compete with Huggins' thugs.

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 06:41 PM

ROFL

good pt.

KevB
03-22-2006, 06:43 PM

That's true, Huggins' guys could take care of business themselves. Giddens had to recruit a small army to take care of his.

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 06:46 PM
That's true, Huggins' guys could take care of business themselves. Giddens had to recruit a small army to take care of his.
True. So we invited him to leave. You are inviting them to enter.

CHENZ A!
03-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I think this is the best possible hire they could make. I'm a KU fan first, but would like to see KSU and MU become competitive again.

arrowheadnation
03-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I just checked the K-state rivals message board, and some guy from Florida claims that he knows a close friend of Huggins who is saying Huggins has accepted the KSU job and the presser will be tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm glad I'm getting out of Manhattan this year now that the gangbangers and thugs are gonna be showing up in droves.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 06:52 PM

How come John Randle hasn't been invited to leave?

dr00d
03-22-2006, 06:54 PM
I think this is the best possible hire they could make. I'm a KU fan first, but would like to see KSU and MU become competitive again.

so you are saying by splitting wins with both teams this year that they weren't competitive?

damn the KU ego's around here smell something fierce.

nychief
03-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Thuggins... good luck KSU, see you on probabtion.

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 06:56 PM
How come John Randle hasn't been invited to leave?
I thought he was. :shrug:

dr00d
03-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I just checked the K-state rivals message board, and some guy from Florida claims that he knows a close friend of Huggins who is saying Huggins has accepted the KSU job and the presser will be tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm glad I'm getting out of Manhattan this year now that the gangbangers and thugs are gonna be showing up in droves.

rofl this shit is cracking me up...'thugs' everywhere! OMG OMG OMG 1!!22!!@!oneone

self has/had just as many 'thugs' on his team in the last 2 years. Please people...give the sh1t up.

Saulbadguy
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
What does KU fans think about this?
They are ****ing petrified.

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
rofl this shit is cracking me up...'thugs' everywhere! OMG OMG OMG 1!!22!!@!oneone

self has/had just as many 'thugs' on his team in the last 2 years. Please people...give the sh1t up.
You got any idea why he was invited to leave Cincy?

Saulbadguy
03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Nazi-lesbo president (new) who hated him. Pressured to leave.

Al Czervik
03-22-2006, 07:02 PM
KSTATE is not a factor....And hasnt been since 1988.

Yeah....KU is shaking in their shoes.....

BWAHHHHH HAAAAAAA

Saulbadguy
03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2380452

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Bob Huggins is a coach without a college team, but he could end up with two of Ohio's top basketball players no matter where he lands.

O.J. Mayo, Ohio's two-time Associated Press Mr. Basketball, said Tuesday that he and Cincinnati North College Hill teammate Bill Walker -- both juniors -- may go wherever the former University of Cincinnati coach goes.

"That could be right," Mayo said of the rumor that he and Walker would go with Huggins as a package deal. "That could be a possibility. At the same time, we don't want to go to a raw program."

Mayo is a 6-foot-5 swingman and Walker is a 6-6 power forward for North College Hill, the defending Division III state champions in Ohio and ranked as one of the top teams in the nation by several publications.

NBA rules prevent players from making themselves available for the draft until they are at least a year out of high school.

Mayo averaged 28.8 points, 8.8 rebounds, 5.8 assists and five steals during the regular season for the Trojans (24-1), who defend their title this weekend in Columbus. Walker averaged 22.4 points against a schedule that included teams such as national powerhouse Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, which gave the Trojans their only loss, and defending Ohio big-school state champion Canton McKinley.

"It could be a great thing to happen," Mayo said of going to play for Huggins. "At the same time, we have to see where he ends up, what the school's fan base is like, see what the fans think about him and make sure everything is great."

Huggins was forced out last August after 16 years as Cincinnati's coach. He accepted a $3 million buyout after a public struggle with new Cincinnati president Nancy Zimpher, who disagreed with the way Huggins ran the Bearcats program.

He has denied that he has any kind of an agreement to have Mayo and Walker join him when he takes a college coaching job.

Speaking at a luncheon in Canton on Monday, Huggins said he hoped to return to college coaching.

Asked about Mayo and Walker, he said, "They're as good as advertised."

A message for Huggins was left Wednesday with his attorney.

KevB
03-22-2006, 07:06 PM

Riiiight. His part in robbing Wal-Mart blind didn't provide any inclination that he might become a problem.

nychief
03-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Nazi-lesbo president (new) who hated him. Pressured to leave.

oh, saul you fag. Some of the other reasons:

Reality No. 1: Huggins' success was due in part to his willingness to recruit thugs. While nearly every team in the country has had players run afoul of the law, none could hold a candle to Huggins' Bearcats when it came to appearances in the police blotter. A timeline compiled by the Cincinnati Enquirer following Huggins' dismissal last August listed 19 former players or recruits who had been charged with a crime. Five wound up serving jail time. Center Art Long pleaded guilty to choking his girlfriend. Former player Dontonio Wingfield was arrested for assaulting two police officers during a domestic dispute. He was sentenced to a year in jail. Donald Little was accused of kidnapping, beating and burning his roommate. The charges were dismissed after he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of aggravated assault and was sentenced to 30 days in jail. The list goes on and on.
ADVERTISEMENT

Walden University Business Program
Check out the online MBA program at this university in Cincinnati.
degreewire.com
100% Online MBA Degrees
Get ahead in life with a 100% online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree....
www.degrees-online.us
University Of Cincinnati Mba
Earn your Business Degree with flexibility from University of Phoenix.
degreewire.com
Online MBA's with Regis University
The programs at Regis University, a top online MBA school, provide you with the...
www.degreewire.com

Reality No. 2: Cincinnati graduated players at a disturbingly low rate under Huggins. According to a letter faxed to Huggins' attorney last August by a university lawyer, 27 players graduated during Huggins' 16 years, or an average 1.7 per year. A typical recruiting class includes four to five players. Huggins' standard defense was to criticize the flawed nature of the traditional graduation rate used by the federal government, which doesn't take into account entering or departing transfers who graduate. A funny thing happened, however, when the NCAA unveiled its new, more realistic Graduation Success Rate last fall: Cincinnati's score for players who entered the program from 1995-98 actually went down, from 40 percent to 31 percent.

Reality No. 3: Huggins is not exactly a role model himself. His hard-drinking ways were well known around the sport long before his June 2004 DUI arrest. In fact, the same officers who arrested him that night had stopped him for weaving and drove him home in April 2003. A month before that, ESPN the Magazine reported that Huggins got into multiple confrontations with patrons in and outside a Salt Lake City bar after his team's NCAA tournament loss to Gonzaga earlier that day. All three incidents, mind you, came after Huggins' 2002 heart attack, which he claimed at the time had motivated him to change his lifestyle.

Whichever victory-starved school decides to hire Huggins will quickly find that change is not a priority for the coach, because, quite frankly, he doesn't feel he's done anything wrong (besides the DUI). Potential employers can be reasonably certain of these two things: Their team will begin reaching the NCAA tournament annually, and the embarrassing headlines will follow shortly thereafter.

Skip Towne
They are ****ing petrified.
We had to listen to all that shit when Bobby Knight entered the league. We have done nothing but pound his ass. Huggins will be treated accordingly.

WilliamTheIrish

I'll take the category "Your And Idiot" for 1000$, Alex.

KevB
03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Thuggins... good luck KSU, see you on probabtion.

How many times were Huggin's teams on probation again?

arrowheadnation
03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
So Mayo doesn't want to go to a "raw" team. Guess we don't have to worry about him going to K-State.

CHENZ A!
03-22-2006, 07:10 PM
so you are saying by splitting wins with both teams this year that they weren't competitive?

damn the KU ego's around here smell something fierce.

They were competitive in that sense, and I didn't mean anything bad by it. But it would be nice to see KSU make the tournament at least once every 10 yrs or so. I'm not the "typical KU fan", I have no problem rooting for KSU or MU in any sport, but will root for the Hawks against both.. Also would root for UMKC against all 3.

dr00d
03-22-2006, 07:11 PM

heres a quick article I pulled up:

Huggins has support from the fans. The coach is all about work ethic and discipline, yet he had problems with players struggling off the court, plus his own DUI incident last year. He sat out two months to straighten out his life, and he appeared back on the right track last season.

Recent problems with Bearcats player Roy Bright (admitted to bringing a firearm on campus) and recruit Tyree Evans (accused of statutory rape in Massachusetts) did not help the program's image.

------------------------

I'm sorry, but you are calling out thugs for these two guys? The problem is, we have no idea what the situation is here or the whole story behind all this garbage. The problem is that every other fan on this board that roots for another team has pee going down their leg because their coach will now be inferior to huggy.

I'll admit, it is real dumb for this guy to be carrying a gun on campus, but again, we have no idea what the situation is...As for the ACCUSED rape case--how old is this kid, 18, 19? What is the age of consent in Massachusetts? do you even know? so an 19 year old had sex with a 17 year old and her mom found out so they cry rape? Was that the situation, we have no idea really. All you people do is read some crappy biased ass article about how these kids are thugs and claim the same thing.

bottom line- you are scared. Fire self now before bowling green beats them in the first round next year.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 07:13 PM
We had to listen to all that shit when Bobby Knight entered the league. We have done nothing but pound his ass. Huggins will be treated accordingly.

Here we go with the WWJFD? bullshit. Again.

Nobody gives a flying Tulsa f*ck what you jwankers did/have done against Knight.

nychief
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM

not the program, the PLAYERS. Ah, the Kstate education.

dr00d
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
oh, saul you Rump Ranger. Some of the other reasons:

Reality No. 1: Huggins' success was due in part to his willingness to recruit thugs. While nearly every team in the country has had players run afoul of the law, none could hold a candle to Huggins' Bearcats when it came to appearances in the police blotter. A timeline compiled by the Cincinnati Enquirer following Huggins' dismissal last August listed 19 former players or recruits who had been charged with a crime. Five wound up serving jail time. Center Art Long pleaded guilty to choking his girlfriend. Former player Dontonio Wingfield was arrested for assaulting two police officers during a domestic dispute. He was sentenced to a year in jail. Donald Little was accused of kidnapping, beating and burning his roommate. The charges were dismissed after he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of aggravated assault and was sentenced to 30 days in jail. The list goes on and on.
ADVERTISEMENT

Walden University Business Program
Check out the online MBA program at this university in Cincinnati.
degreewire.com
100% Online MBA Degrees
Get ahead in life with a 100% online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree....
www.degrees-online.us
University Of Cincinnati Mba
Earn your Business Degree with flexibility from University of Phoenix.
degreewire.com
Online MBA's with Regis University
The programs at Regis University, a top online MBA school, provide you with the...
www.degreewire.com

Reality No. 2: Cincinnati graduated players at a disturbingly low rate under Huggins. According to a letter faxed to Huggins' attorney last August by a university lawyer, 27 players graduated during Huggins' 16 years, or an average 1.7 per year. A typical recruiting class includes four to five players. Huggins' standard defense was to criticize the flawed nature of the traditional graduation rate used by the federal government, which doesn't take into account entering or departing transfers who graduate. A funny thing happened, however, when the NCAA unveiled its new, more realistic Graduation Success Rate last fall: Cincinnati's score for players who entered the program from 1995-98 actually went down, from 40 percent to 31 percent.

Reality No. 3: Huggins is not exactly a role model himself. His hard-drinking ways were well known around the sport long before his June 2004 DUI arrest. In fact, the same officers who arrested him that night had stopped him for weaving and drove him home in April 2003. A month before that, ESPN the Magazine reported that Huggins got into multiple confrontations with patrons in and outside a Salt Lake City bar after his team's NCAA tournament loss to Gonzaga earlier that day. All three incidents, mind you, came after Huggins' 2002 heart attack, which he claimed at the time had motivated him to change his lifestyle.

Whichever victory-starved school decides to hire Huggins will quickly find that change is not a priority for the coach, because, quite frankly, he doesn't feel he's done anything wrong (besides the DUI). Potential employers can be reasonably certain of these two things: Their team will begin reaching the NCAA tournament annually, and the embarrassing headlines will follow shortly thereafter.

Its always good to try and read something that isn't COMPLETELY freaking biased.

http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/vcolumn050823-Huggins.html

nychief
03-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Its always good to try and read something that isn't COMPLETELY freaking biased.

did you actually just link a vitale article.....

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

WilliamTheIrish

Why, thye were on probation every year. As a matter of fact, it's well known, that to get a starting spot on the Cinci Bball team, a player had to commit murder.

Seriously. It's true.

Whadda bunch a dumb****s.

leviw
Weiser still isn't confirming anything. Sit tight Cat fans. Nothing's in the bag....yet.

I think it will be, though, shortly.

nychief
03-22-2006, 07:17 PM

Okay, I'm sorry. I can't believe that writer made up all those arrests, nongraudations and drunken escapades.

Congrats!

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Weiser still isn't confirming anything. Sit tight Cat fans. Nothing's in the bag....yet.

I'll wait till the ink is dry.

Then I'll order my tix.

Saulbadguy
03-22-2006, 07:19 PM

He can't until tommorow. We choose to follow those statutes of limitations, etc etc.

KevB
03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
not the program, the PLAYERS. Ah, the Kstate education.

You specifically mentioned Huggins and KSU in your original comment, implying the program would be on probation. Thanks for yelling this time though so everyone can understand what you meant to say the first time. Funny you're criticizing education when you struggle to communicate your point in a single sentence.

Saulbadguy
03-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I'll wait till the ink is dry.

Then I'll order my tix.
Welcome back to Bramlage, William. :)

nychief
You specifically mentioned Huggins and KSU in your original comment, implying the program would be on probation. Thanks for yelling this time though so everyone can understand what you meant to say the first time. Funny you're criticizing education when you struggle to communicate your point in a single sentence.

I am just bustin' balls. It was a joke, francis.

dr00d
Okay, I'm sorry. I can't believe that writer made up all those arrests, nongraudations and drunken escapades.

Congrats!

so apparently you didn't read the article, surprise, surprise...

as for the vitale story..at least it is coming from a different angle. as you can see, efforts were made to fix the graduation rates, and 'thug' bs, but hey, feel free to make yourself feel better by saying more retarded shit.

KevB
03-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Congrats!

Here's another relevant statistic from his time at Cincy:

75% winning percentage

nychief
03-22-2006, 07:23 PM
wow, the demise of the football team at kstate will arrive at the same time as the rise of the basketball team.
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/IMZ/IMZ133/two0026.jpg

KevB
03-22-2006, 07:23 PM
I am just bustin' balls. It was a joke, francis.

In that case, make it something funny next time so I can tell the difference.

leviw
03-22-2006, 07:24 PM
He can't until tommorow. We choose to follow those statutes of limitations, etc etc.

He CAN confirm he's offered the position.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 07:24 PM

Congrats!

It reads like a Ricky Clemons prison tape.

nychief
03-22-2006, 07:26 PM
so apparently you didn't read the article, surprise, surprise...

Yes, unlike most Kstate grads, I can read!

Zinger!

Face!

And yes, before you get your purple panties in a wad... i am just playing....

for money

like Huggy's players.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes, unlike most Kstate grads, I can read!

Zinger!

Face!

And yes, before you get your purple panties in a wad... i am just playing....

for money

like Huggy's players.

Love it. ROFL
ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Is there a web site where I can go to learn the new gang signs?

Apparently, according to arowheadnation, Manhattan will be overrun with the likes of .... black people!!!!! And they'll be (gasp) playing basketball.!!!!!!

Us ( channeling Elson Floyd) crackers best get our guns.

leviw
03-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Is there a web site where I can go to learn the new gang signs?

Apparently, according to arowheadnation, Manhattan will be overrun with the likes of .... black people!!!!! And they'll be (gasp) playing basketball.!!!!!!

Us ( channeling Elson Floyd) crackers best get are guns.

Tyler Hughes better just hide.

Old Dog
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Great hire for K-State. If he brings them to respectability and then a few years later ends up pulling the same stuff there, big deal.
They want to be in the big dance. This guy can bring in players to get them to there.

tk13
03-22-2006, 07:51 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/article=crap213424134

Kansas State Basketball Placed on Probation
by GREGG PACKER-PRISCO
CBS Sportsline

In an unprecedented move, the Kansas State men's basketball program has been placed on four years probation before hiring new men's basketball coach Bob Huggins.

Huggins, former coach at Cincinnati, was known for bringing in recruits with questionable character, and for having low graduation rates.

"This is an unprecedented move, for sure, but something we felt needed to be done," said NCAA president Myles Brand. "Over the years, Bob Huggins record speaks for itself. We're not sure central Kansas is prepared for the type of program Huggins is going to build."

When reached for comment, Huggins responded to the criticism, "I don't think the probation is necessarily fair, but something we'll have to deal with. I've never taken on a player that's responsible for more than two stabbing deaths. And really, as long as my players bring money in, help the local economy through the bar scene, and help maintain Kansas population growth by impregnating our women, who really cares if they graduate?"

Brand stated the probation would last four years, and be extended to five, "if one of those thugs brings shame to the pristine image of college athletics." Press conferences for both Huggins' hiring and probation are scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

leviw
03-22-2006, 07:53 PM

by GREGG PACKER-PRISCO
CBS Sportsline

In an unprecedented move, the Kansas State men's basketball program has been placed on four years probation before hiring new men's basketball coach Bob Huggins.

Huggins, former coach at Cincinnati, was known for bringing in recruits with questionable character, and for having low graduation rates.

"This is an unprecedented move, for sure, but something we felt needed to be done," said NCAA president Myles Brand. "Over the years, Bob Huggins record speaks for itself. We're not sure central Kansas is prepared for the type of program Huggins is going to build."

When reached for comment, Huggins responded to the criticism, "I don't think the probation is necessarily fair, but something we'll have to deal with. I've never taken on a player that's responsible for more than two stabbing deaths. And really, as long as my players bring money in, help the local economy through the bar scene, and help maintain Kansas population growth by impregnating our women, who really cares if they graduate?"

Brand stated the probation would last four years, and be extended to five, "if one of those thugs brings shame to the pristine image of college athletics." Press conferences for both Huggins' hiring and probation are scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

HILARIOUS ROFL

Saulbadguy
Has Ball State found a coach yet?

Saulbadguy
HILARIOUS ROFL
Why aren't you at the womens game? It's a close one.

arrowheadnation
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
"Manhattan will be overrun with the likes of .... black people!!!!!"

I never said black people anywhere. I said gangbangers and thugs. Don't jump to conslusions racist. There are white thugs and gangbangers too. As a K-state student, I must say I'm not happy with this hire. Maybe that wasn't the best way to voice my opinion, but I don't want this guy as a coach. I guess Weiser decided to go with "winning at any cost" rather than "winning with dignity."

Old Dog
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
LMAO @ TK13's post

Old Dog
03-22-2006, 07:58 PM

I never said black people anywhere. Don't jump to conslusions. As a K-state student, I must say I'm not happy with this hire. Maybe that wasn't the best way to voice my opinion, but I don't want this guy as a coach. I guess Weiser decided to go with "winning at any cost" rather than "winning with dignity."
they tried winning with dignity, that hasn't worked..............I like the hire. I'm a KU fan, but am for K-State against anyone but my Hawks.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 08:00 PM

I never said black people anywhere. I said gangbangers and thugs. Don't jump to conslusions racist. There are white thugs and gangbangers too. As a K-state student, I must say I'm not happy with this hire. Maybe that wasn't the best way to voice my opinion, but I don't want this guy as a coach. I guess Weiser decided to go with "winning at any cost" rather than "winning with dignity."

Who in the state of Kansas "wins with dignity", Mrs. Wooldrige?

You tell me in this post to don't jump to conclusions, yet you leap off a cliff with your sky is falling post.

You're a clown.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 08:01 PM
tk,

That was outstanding.

ROYC75
03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Huggins in Manhattan will be a " BIG " lift for that program.

As for what do the KU fans think about it ? Business as usual. Seriously, Skip hit iton the head, Bobby Knight was suppose to bring his Big 10 style of ball and dominate the Big 12.

It hasn't happened yet......... Huggins will get them back to being respectable on the floor until the 1st BIG scandal comes along.

If he is hired...... like I said, I will be suprised.

Good Luck Mildcat fans.

sedated
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Huggybear would be great for the Big12.

Whooping the mildcats gets old.

KU needs some competition, or they may continue to flounder in the tourny.

mmm...flounder

ROYC75
03-22-2006, 08:09 PM

by GREGG PACKER-PRISCO
CBS Sportsline

OMG. ROFL But I do hope no scandals come his way, not a good thing for any Big 12 team to have on it's resume.

ROYC75
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
I have a sister that works in the KSU's office, I'll call her and see if I can get the inside scoop .

WilliamTheIrish
Huggins in Manhattan will be a " BIG " lift for that program.

As for what do the KU fans think about it ? Business as usual. Seriously, Skip hit iton the head, Bobby Knight was suppose to bring his Big 10 style of ball and dominate the Big 12.

It hasn't happened yet......... Huggins will get them back to being respectable on the floor until the 1st BIG scandal comes along.

If he is hired...... like I said, I will be suprised.

Good Luck Midcat fans.

Good Lord.

1)Nobody thought Tech was going to dominate the Big 12.

2)Hiring Knight was the public shot in the arm this conference needed. Coupled with the fact that Tech's Bball arena sold out the season about 20 minutes after his hire, it was a great move.

3) Huggins ain't signed on the line yet, but we have KU fans on this thread telling us how it won't affect anything.

4) Using skip as a reference for anything other than growing good weed and Dtv problems, is a waste of bandwidth.

ROYC75
No answer, left a message to call me back.

ROYC75
03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Good Lord.

1)Nobody thought Tech was going to dominate the Big 12.

2)Hiring Knight was the public shot in the arm this conference needed. Coupled with the fact that Tech's Bball arena sold out the season about 20 minutes after his hire, it was a great move.

3) Huggins ain't signed on the line yet, but we have KU fans on this thread telling us how it won't affect anything.

4) Using skip as a reference for anything other than growing good weed and Dtv problems, is a waste of bandwidth.

From what Iknow and IMHO,

# 1 ). There were a few Big 10 fans on here who said in few short years he would be contending for the title annually.

# 2 ) Agreed .... check.

# 3) True, he hasn't, But anybody that thinks it won't elavate KSU's program is blind.

# 4 ) . When it comes to KU and DTV, Skip is usually right on. :D

sedated
03-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Skip hit iton the head, Bobby Knight was suppose to bring his Big 10 style of ball and dominate the Big 12.

It hasn't happened yet

kinda like bill self's Big 10 style of ball?

hi-lo, baby!

nychief
03-22-2006, 08:26 PM
I hope for all of you that are excited. That West Virginia wins - because if they lose, Beilein might bolt to mizzou - leaving the WVU job open for its most famous basketball coaching alum.

KevB
03-22-2006, 08:41 PM
I hope for all of you that are excited. That West Virginia wins - because if they lose, Beilein might bolt to mizzou - leaving the WVU job open for its most famous basketball coaching alum.

WVU ain't happy with Hugs....he's not going back there to coach. And Mizzou fans are praying to everything that's holy that they can nab a respectable replacement for Quin....the list seems to be dwindling.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 08:47 PM

The ultimate "Pittsnoggle."

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
It's a done deal. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap:

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 08:53 PM
It's a done deal. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap:

Dude, what are you so excited about?

If Knight couldn't beat KU.... :)

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Dude, what are you so excited about?

If Knight couldn't beat KU.... :)

Pft, Wooly beat KU. That's no big deal. We have bigger fish to fry..............

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Pft, Wooly beat KU. That's no big deal. We have bigger fish to fry..............

Yes, but it must be done with dignity.

nychief
03-22-2006, 09:02 PM
The ultimate "Pittsnoggle."

Pittsnoggle boggle, please.

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Here we go with the WWJFD? bullshit. Again.

Nobody gives a flying Tulsa f*ck what you jwankers did/have done against Knight.
I was just responding to Saul's mistaken belief that KU is terrified of Huggins. We've heard all that shit before. I'm not listening to anybody brag about what all Huggins will do. He has to do it first. Does anybody give a flying Tulsa f*ck about never beating KU in Bramlage in 18 tries? That has to be the most embarrassing losing streak in college basketball history. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 09:16 PM
I was just responding to Saul's mistaken belief that KU is terrified of Huggins. We've heard all that shit before. I'm not listening to anybody brag about what all Huggins will do. He has to do it first. Does anybody give a flying Tulsa f*ck about never beating KU in Bramlage in 18 tries? That has to be the most embarrassing losing streak in college basketball history. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Keep keegling.

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Keep keegling.
You just made up that word didn't you?

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 09:25 PM
You just made up that word didn't you?

Huh-uh. Watch, I'll use it in a sentence.

"Skip likes to soak his dentures in a glass while keegling his box muscle...."

nychief
03-22-2006, 09:27 PM
it is a viginia exercise....

Skip Towne
03-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Huh-uh. Watch, I'll use it in a sentence.

"Skip likes to soak his dentures in a glass while keegling his box muscle...."
Yeah, see all the abuse I get while I was trying to be nice? I never once mentioned that KSU has the most pathetic athletic program in the Big XII. No NC's in anything. Even Baylor has an NC.

Cochise
03-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Outclassed by KSU.

Someone should come over to my house and hide all the knives...

leviw
03-22-2006, 10:01 PM
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14164056.htm

done deal

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14164056.htm

done deal

Told you that hours ago
:)

leviw
03-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Told you that hours ago

I didn't believe you, though.

Good work. Rep.

ChiTown
03-22-2006, 10:09 PM
I didn't believe you, though.

Good work. Rep.

Don't ever doubt my sources...;)

alanm
03-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Thuggins... good luck KSU, see you on probabtion.You realize of course the athletes will have to attend actual classes and pass accredited courses or they will lose schlorships-sp starting in 08. So if Huggins does end up there he's going to have to recruit students first.

dr00d
03-22-2006, 11:14 PM
wow, this thing spread around the internet in a matter of an hour...its going to be on espn in a few minutes =)

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 04:58 AM
Outclassed by KSU.

Someone should come over to my house and hide all the knives...
Get used to it. :)

the Talking Can
03-23-2006, 05:45 AM
this is good for the big 12, way to go kitties...

espn just now confirming a 5 year deal for Thuggins...

MU better step up....

Ari Chi3fs
03-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Congrats to KSU, may they get a bit of respectability back... good luck.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 06:38 AM
Former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins has accepted a five-year contract to coach Kansas State, his attorney, Richard Katz, told ESPN.com on Thursday morning.

Katz said he and Huggins were on their way to Manhattan, Kan., for a news conference later Thursday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Kansas State spokesperson Tom Gilbert told ESPN.com that he hadn't been told as of early Thursday morning to prepare for a news conference.

Why Kansas State?

"He feels that Kansas State has the potential to be a top 10 program," Katz said of Huggins' decision. "The Manhattan university community has embraced him and wants him to be the head coach."

Huggins, who was forced out of Cincinnati last August, will replace Jim Wooldridge, who was fired after the Wildcats lost to Texas Tech in the Big 12 tournament opening round earlier this month.

Kansas State also interviewed Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott, but he took the Iowa State job.

Huggins has had conversations with Kansas State in the past few weeks. Katz had made four trips to Kansas State recently, surveying the scene. This could come down to one of the most important hires of athletic director's Tim Weiser's career. Kansas State has needed to hit a home run with this hire and certainly has brought in a big-time name in Huggins.

If Huggins is able to make the Wildcats into a top 10 program, a lot of that will depend on whether or not he can land the cream of the class of 2007 in North Hill High (Ohio) players O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, who have expressed interest in following Huggins in two seasons.

Huggins has always recruited junior colleges well, an area of recruiting where Kansas State has done well, recently. Kansas State is considered to have solid young talent so Huggins isn't going into a complete rebuilding situation. The Wildcats return its best player, junior Cartier Martin, a 6-8 forward who averaged 18 points a game last season for the 15-13 Wildcats (6-10 in Big 12). The Wildcats didn't have a senior in its top four scorers last season.

If Cincinnati interim coach Andy Kennedy doesn't land a full-time head coaching gig then he could be a top candidate to rejoin his former coach. Kennedy is meeting with Ole Miss for its opening Thursday.

Huggins, 52, coached Cincinnati to 14 straight NCAA Tournaments and the Final Four in 1992. Huggins has said throughout the season that he wanted to return to coaching. Huggins now joins a stellar group of coaches in the Big 12 in Bob Knight (Texas Tech), Rick Barnes (Texas), Eddie Sutton (still at Oklahoma State), Bill Self (Kansas) and Kelvin Sampson (Oklahoma).

Dartgod
03-23-2006, 06:38 AM
it is a viginia exercise....
What's a viginia?

shakesthecat
03-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Nice hire KSU.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Bout time Kitty fans.......

1st step : a decent coach.... check
2nd step : better players .... should be check, see rule #1
3rd step: say alot of prayers the program stays clean.

Now if Turg. & WSU continue to build, maybe the state of Ks can have it's own mini version of tobacco road.

KCFalcon59
03-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Congratulations K-State and it's fans! You guys deserve to finally have a coach. :clap:

If some of those recruits follow him, It will be quite a battle for league titles in the next few years. This could be good for the Big XII.

:KU:

Lzen
03-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Congrats, KSU fans. Huggins is a very good coach. The Sunflower series should be competitive once again. :thumb:

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
http://cincinnati.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=16836

http://cincinnati.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=23567

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Congrats, KSU fans. Huggins is a very good coach. The Sunflower series should be competitive once again. :thumb:

So what time does your father in law start his protest?

I'm really anxious to see tis.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 08:48 AM
http://cincinnati.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=16836

http://cincinnati.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=23567

Nowhere on that list is KSU for either player. :p

I know it's not updated material, just throw'n another punch in before you start getting some blue chip players.

It good to see you clowns bubbling over with excitment, it's bee a long time since the days of Hartman.

Cochise
03-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I guess there's a bright side - Wildcat fans get to babysit the conference rival trolls in this thread now! ;)

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 08:59 AM
I guess there's a bright side - Wildcat fans get to babysit the conference rival trolls in this thread now! ;)

I don't think of them as trolls.

They are more like a big brothers.

With a learning disability. Real short bus types.

Cochise
03-23-2006, 09:03 AM

It does kind of have an Of Mice and Men vibe, doesn't it?

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 09:07 AM

Wow, I was sure you were going to say something like Wally and Beaver. Beav being energetic and fiesty and Wally being the elder geek .

It's nice to know that after all these years, you guys really do look up to us as the Big brother. :D
:p

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Has Huggins seen Manhattan yet?

Mr. Laz
03-23-2006, 09:14 AM
I'll take the category "Your And Idiot" for 1000$, Alex.

another good call by the Irish :thumb:

ChiTown
03-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Has Huggins seen Manhattan yet?

EDIT:

The combo of Huggins and his agent have been there four times since the discussions took place. THEY LOVED IT! Bag on it all you want, but Manhattan is a GREAT college town.

Plus, they've told him they'll tote him around from Aggievile to his pad so he doesn't have to drive :)

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Skip probably has never set foot in Manhattan. If he has, it was probably 30 years ago. He's FOS on this subject.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Skip probably has never set foot in Manhattan. If he has, it was probably 30 years ago. He's FOS on this subject.

Skip got his ass kicked there. He gets his ass kicked here, too.

Some things never change.

I just visited crap.net. They are soiling themselves.

Jesus, what if we get mayo and co.? Even for only a year? Mayo can fly.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM
another good call by the Irish :thumb:

I know the short bus driver keeps you in the front seat, Laz, but I want you to know the "your and idiot" part was about this line:

I'm glad I'm getting out of Manhattan this year now that the gangbangers and thugs are gonna be showing up in droves.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM
He's been there four times since the discussions took place. HE LOVED IT! Bag on it all you want, but Manhattan is a GREAT college town.

Plus, they've told him they'll tote him around from Aggievile to his pad so he doesn't have to drive :)

I have a sister who works for KSU, a BIL who owns the liqour store just off campus, both of them are deranged Kitten fans. They love it there, personally I didn't see anything I was impressed with.

BTA, I haven't very many things in Kansas I was ever impressed with either. Home is Home, can't change it.

You guys should get Huggy a limo service if he promises to take you guys back to the annual BIG dance.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 09:26 AM
There are no less than 15 threads on the front page of Phag.net about Huggins.

Fear noted.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 09:27 AM

If they jell together, easily a NIT 1st year, a very real possibilitya BIG dance ticket too.

But that's just me.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I have a sister who works for KSU, a BIL who owns the liqour store just off campus, both of them are deranged Kitten fans. They love it there, personally I didn't see anything I was impressed with.

BTA, I haven't very many things in Kansas I was ever impressed with either. Home is Home, can't change it.

You guys should get Huggy a limo service if he promises to take you guys back to the annual BIG dance.
What liquor store? Can I get a discount? TIA! :)

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 09:29 AM

Fear noted.

Blah, normal stuff for a bunch of baby Jays. The old birds don't get to excited over stuff like this. Maturity comes with age, give em another 10 to get there.:D

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 09:31 AM
What liquor store? Can I get a discount? TIA! :)

I doubt it, this guy is Mr Scrooge at X-mas time. Crap, I don't even know the name of it, I think it is a block or 2 right off the campus. My sister works in the administrative offices.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2006, 09:31 AM
I know the short bus driver keeps you in the front seat, Laz, but I want you to know the "your and idiot" part was about this line:
ah ... thanks, us short bus people appreciate the help

but just for the record, how in the heck was anyone suppose to know that before now?

you might consider a little more specificity in your future posts. :p

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 09:33 AM
I doubt it, this guy is Mr Scrooge at X-mas time. Crap, I don't even know the name of it, I think it is a block or 2 right off the campus. My sister works in the administrative offices.
There are probably 20 liquor stores "a block or 2 right off campus". My favorite is "The Library" in Aggieville. Kids can use their parents credit cards there to buy liquor, and it gets charged as "The Library".

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 09:45 AM
There are probably 20 liquor stores "a block or 2 right off campus". My favorite is "The Library" in Aggieville. Kids can use their parents credit cards there to buy liquor, and it gets charged as "The Library".
That's really clever.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 09:45 AM

Ouch ....... what a hoot .

I'll check to see what the name is .

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Congrats on turning your basketball program around.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cal and Huggy set up a series, or something, in the future. They're good friends.

ChiTown
03-23-2006, 09:53 AM

William

There was a link, that I can find right now, that discussed Mayo coming to Manhattan. He said that he and Walker would have no problem following Huggy to KSU. If I can find the link, I'll provide it on this thread.

That would be the #1 & #2 HS ballers for 2007 :)

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 09:59 AM
William

There was a link, that I can find right now, that discussed Mayo coming to Manhattan. He said that he and Walker would have no problem following Huggy to KSU. If I can find the link, I'll provide it on this thread.

That would be the #1 & #2 HS ballers for 2007 :)

Now I'm going to soil myself.

DJJasonp
03-23-2006, 10:06 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9329296

Huggins also would be the frontrunner to sign two of the top five players from the class of 2007, O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker from the Cincinnati suburb of North College Hill, Ohio.

Sorry if mentioned earlier....

But....a bad sign your headed the wrong (thug) direction is when you're first in line to sign a player named O.J.

Better drink your apple juice.....cause O.J. will kill ya.

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Man just think if MU gets Steve Alford. Then this conference would have recruiting battles like a son of a bitch. The Big12 will have the most big name coaches in all of the country.

KU - Bill Self
MU - Steve Alford
KSU - Bob Huggins
OU - Kelvin Sampson
OSU - Eddie Sutton
TX - Rick Barnes
TTU - Bob Knight

Wow. This is bad news for Baylor, AM, Colorado, Nebraska, having to compete with all of these big names in recruiting. Of course this is if Alford goes to MU, which I dont know yet if it is likely that he will or not.

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 10:10 AM

Not used to having that kind of talent huh?

ChiTown

BTW, Bennett looks like he is already a done deal. He's the 7-2 250# 5* HS SR who would be in the 2006 class. Ths thing just keeps getting better :)

Of course, he'll have to battle Serge Afeli for playing time......... ROFL

Skip Towne
It couldn't hurt anything. You already stink.

Lzen
03-23-2006, 10:13 AM
So what time does your father in law start his protest?

I'm really anxious to see tis.

Lol, me too. I'm thinking he was just talking, though. He's pretty disappointed in this hire.

WilliamTheIrish

I wouldn't be surprised if Cal and Huggy set up a series, or something, in the future. They're good friends.

If that happens, you can fly here and watch the game in one of my seats.

Which reminds me, I better get on the phone.

ChiTown

Honestly? No, we aren't. KSU used to get good players all the time, but not highly rated. Then, in the 90's (Altman and Assberry), the personnel went to chit. Woolridge did a better job, but he never really got a quality big man or a quality PG. Cartier Martin was the prize of his tenure.

KevB
03-23-2006, 10:16 AM

That series would kill me, but it will probably happen. I'm a KSU grad, but I spent the first 15 years of my life in Memphis and still consider myself a die hard fan. Driving there today in fact to see family. I've always dreaded seeing a KSU/Memphis matchup in any sport.....I don't think I could watch.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 10:19 AM

Not since Mitch. Prior to him? Rolando. Prior to him? Willie Murrell.

Lzen
03-23-2006, 10:21 AM

Fear noted.

I don't know about fear but that long streak of KU victories over KSU in Manhattan will probably end soon. That's okay, though. The dominance was fun for awhile, but I would much rather have a good, competitive series like the old days. :thumb:

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Jesus Christ. Roy's North Carolina team is getting 4 five star recruits coming in next season. WOWZERS!!! Including 3 number one ranking players at their respected positions. Theyre getting the best PG, SG, and PF in the nation. Along with Hansbrough and Terry, this team along with Kansas should being top 5 teams in the nation coming into next season.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Press conference at 4:00 PM.

leviw
03-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Press conference at 4:00 PM.

Open to the public. Going?

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Can't. Work. Are you? Take pictures and all that jazz.

Also, can you find out if he will be making an appearance at halftime of the womens game?

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?KEY=TAVGEUGKQGXLOPZ.20060323011310&SPSID=3084&SPID=213&DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=250323

leviw
03-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Can't. Work. Are you? Take pictures and all that jazz.

Also, can you find out if he will be making an appearance at halftime of the womens game?

I'll be "working", so I can't take pictures. But I'll see what I can find out.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM

I have to work. (F-bomb.)

Man that place will be packed.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I'll be "working", so I can't take pictures. But I'll see what I can find out.

You need to break the rules. Take pics. Post here.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Not since Mitch. Prior to him? Rolando. Prior to him? Willie Murrell.

What ? No Ed Nealy ?

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Jesus Christ. Roy's North Carolina team is getting 4 five star recruits coming in next season. WOWZERS!!! Including 3 number one ranking players at their respected positions. Theyre getting the best PG, SG, and PF in the nation. Along with Hansbrough and Terry, this team along with Kansas should being top 5 teams in the nation coming into next season.

Reason why we need to land Arthur to go along with Collins and our current players.

leviw
03-23-2006, 10:52 AM
You need to break the rules. Take pics. Post here.

Maybe I can sneak a few on my cell phone. We'll see.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 10:55 AM
What ? No Ed Nealy ?

Ed was a Clydesdale. Unrecruited. Big Bonner Springs boy. Hartman knew how to use him.

Of course, nobody has signed a LOI, so I'll sit here and scream quietly.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Press conference will be broadcast live from kstatesports.com, for free.

Also, the K-State vs NU game will be webcast for free. Huggins might appear at halftime.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Ed was a Clydesdale. Unrecruited. Big Bonner Springs boy. Hartman knew how to use him.

Of course, nobody has signed a LOI, so I'll sit here and scream quietly.
http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=526910

As expected Kansas State is in the hunt for five-star center Jason Bennett with the hiring of Coach Bob Huggins. Bennett, 7-foot-2, 240-pounds from Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, Fla., has repeatedly stated that he would like to play for Coach Huggins, and now Bennett must decide if he wants to play for Coach Huggins at Kansas State.

Rivals.com
Jason Bennett
"Jason has committed to take a visit to Kansas State," said Arlington Country Day head coach Rex Morgan. "Now he doesn't have to guess where Coach Huggins might land a job. He knows where Coach Huggins will be, so now he has to decide whether he want to go to school closer to home or go to Kansas State to school.

"It is one thing not to know where a coach might end up or if he will even get a job and another to know exactly where he will be. Now Jason can get a much better feel for the situation."

Although a specific date for the Kansas State visit has not been set, Coach Morgan said Bennett is fully committed to taking the visit before making a decision.

Before the hiring of Coach Huggins, Bennett was down to Auburn, Michigan and Alabama. Last week Bennett officially visited Auburn, but he has yet to visit Michigan or Alabama.

"His visit to Auburn went well," said Morgan. "Jason didn't feel well. He had strep throat. But his parents had a good time, and Jason enjoyed the visit.

"Whether or not he will visit Michigan or Alabama has not been clarified yet."

Jason Bennett scouting report:

With his defense certainly ahead of his offense, Bennett does run the floor well and is active on the offensive boards. His back to the basket game is still a work in progress. His ability to hold onto rebounds and tough passes is the area of his game that has the biggest room for improvement along with his free throw shooting. His strongest attribute is his shot blocking ability.

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 11:04 AM
http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=526910

As expected Kansas State is in the hunt for five-star center Jason Bennett with the hiring of Coach Bob Huggins. Bennett, 7-foot-2, 240-pounds from Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, Fla., has repeatedly stated that he would like to play for Coach Huggins, and now Bennett must decide if he wants to play for Coach Huggins at Kansas State.

Rivals.com
Jason Bennett
"Jason has committed to take a visit to Kansas State," said Arlington Country Day head coach Rex Morgan. "Now he doesn't have to guess where Coach Huggins might land a job. He knows where Coach Huggins will be, so now he has to decide whether he want to go to school closer to home or go to Kansas State to school.

"It is one thing not to know where a coach might end up or if he will even get a job and another to know exactly where he will be. Now Jason can get a much better feel for the situation."

Although a specific date for the Kansas State visit has not been set, Coach Morgan said Bennett is fully committed to taking the visit before making a decision.

Before the hiring of Coach Huggins, Bennett was down to Auburn, Michigan and Alabama. Last week Bennett officially visited Auburn, but he has yet to visit Michigan or Alabama.

"His visit to Auburn went well," said Morgan. "Jason didn't feel well. He had strep throat. But his parents had a good time, and Jason enjoyed the visit.

"Whether or not he will visit Michigan or Alabama has not been clarified yet."

Jason Bennett scouting report:

With his defense certainly ahead of his offense, Bennett does run the floor well and is active on the offensive boards. His back to the basket game is still a work in progress. His ability to hold onto rebounds and tough passes is the area of his game that has the biggest room for improvement along with his free throw shooting. His strongest attribute is his shot blocking ability.

Scout.com has him listed as a 4 star player I think. Needless to say a 7'2 center is gonna make Sasha Kaun look like a little girl.

Cochise
03-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Scout.com has him listed as a 4 star player I think. Needless to say a 7'2 center is gonna make Sasha Kaun look like a little girl.

Bradley's center wasn't that big.

ChiTown
03-23-2006, 11:11 AM

This kid is a defender. If you have seen his video, he moves well, but lacks quite a bit on the offensive game. His game is rebounding and blocking shots. That works for me.

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Bradley's center wasn't that big.

O'Bryant is a 7ft. 260.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Damn with this much attention, the kittens are going to be pissing on themselves just from the long overdue excitement.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Story, with quotes, here...

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/nw_local_news/article/0,1925,KSHB_9424_4564637,00.html

ChiTown
03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Damn with this much attention, the kittens are going to be pissing on themselves just from the long overdue excitement.

We're just excited to see you pissing down your legs

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
We're just excited to see you pissing down your legs

Heh, there is nothing KSU can do for me to do that, nothing ! Sports is just a game, that's all.

Nice try thou.......

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Huggy: 567-199 (.740)
Self: 254-121 (.677)

Huggy: 14 tourney appearances.
Self: 12 tourney appearances.

Huggy: 3 Elite Eights.
Self: 3 Elite Eights.

Huggy: 1 Final Four.
Self: 0 Final Four.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 12:29 PM

And your point is ?

Cochise
03-23-2006, 12:29 PM

It's weird to think it, but I don't have much reservation about saying that KSU has a better coach than KU now.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't have the records or any info on this, but how many years has Huga bear coached and how many has Self coached.

Just wondering, that's all........

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 12:34 PM
It's weird to think it, but I don't have much reservation about saying that KSU has a better coach than KU now.

Self has yet to prove anything but he is a consistent winner, that's all.

But I do feel he will do great things at KU.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 12:35 PM
And for you kitty cat fans, Huggins will do good things at KSU......

Hope you feel better now.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Self has yet to prove anything but he is a consistent winner, that's all.

Same with Huggins.

It should be fun. :clap:

ChiTown
03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Heh, there is nothing KSU can do for me to do that, nothing ! Sports is just a game, that's all.

Nice try thou.......

:rolleyes:

Gotcha.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Same with Huggins.

It should be fun. :clap:

Indeed it will be interesting again, plus it will fill your seats with KSU fans instead of KU fans, something we haven't seen in a long time .

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Gotcha.

How is that ?
:hmmm:

Jayhawkerman2001
03-23-2006, 01:23 PM
This is kind of exciting in a way. the KU KState rivalry could be taken to another level with huggins coming in. finaly... Which is a good thing, because itd feel better to us KU fans now whenever we win, and you guys will just feel the same, really really good, when you beat us. hopefully it wont be just a no brainer anymore, and will make the big 12 look a lot better. good things abound it seems for both kstate and ku. poor MU still sucks nutts

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 01:31 PM
K-States first game of the year will be on ESPN or ESPN2.

ChiTown
03-23-2006, 01:35 PM
How is that ?
:hmmm:

Well, you have 16K posts on a Chiefs message board, you write a hysterical letter to a sports writer taking an obvious satirical shot at the J-Haks, you chime in on everything KSU related, KU related or MU related..............yeah, it's just a game to you..............doesn't mean a thing.

Therefore,

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
ROY just sucks at the internet, plain and simple. Nothing less, nothing more.

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 01:39 PM
ROY just sucks at the internet, plain and simple. Nothing less, nothing more.
Well, I don't suck at the internet. I got a solid 5 out of gobuttlicksux.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Well, I don't suck at the internet. I got a solid 5 out of gobuttlicksux.
I guess you are average at the internet, then. :)

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, you have 16K posts on a Chiefs message board, you write a hysterical letter to a sports writer taking an obvious satirical shot at the J-Haks, you chime in on everything KSU related, KU related or MU related..............yeah, it's just a game to you..............doesn't mean a thing.

Therefore,

ROFL Oh good grief....... why can't a guy (me, an old man ) have a little fun. I'm not a kid anymore, I don't get to go out and party, chase women and be one of the guys anymore.

Where the hell is the bylaws of this damn BB anyways, I want to see them. :hmmm:

I could of swore it is every fan's right to have a little fun at his rivals expense, damn the torpedoes that a smartass sports columnist can have his cake and eat it too, or for that matter a KSU fan, or MU fan, or for that matter any other fan of college basketball have a say so. But not a KU fan ?

It is a game, I don't get upset when we lose, it's fun when we win, you rival fans like to squirm around. You get your pleasure when KU lose's a game. It's extra fun if it is in the Big Dance that your favorite team can't seem to find over the last 15 years or so.

It's all part of the game, the spirit that drives young kids batty.

I'm glad to see Huggins at KSU, really, you have taken a good step towards getting your team back to respectability. Now when you actually do something, you will have good reason to lay a little smack down to your rivals.

Your basketball days are coming unless Huggy brings his baggage with him and defaces your proud tradition of a clean program.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 01:55 PM
You can have your fun, but you love to scream foul when the shit gets dished back at you.

Plus the shit gets old. It would be different if it was funny at all.

Braincase
03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
There's an irony in this post... (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3095976&postcount=66)

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 02:27 PM
You can have your fun, but you love to scream foul when the shit gets dished back at you.

Plus the shit gets old. It would be different if it was funny at all.

Get a grip, you KSU and MU fans haven't had good enough teams the last several years for your smack to be valid .

But it's been fun, your day is coming soon.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Get a grip, you KSU and MU fans haven't had good enough teams the last several years for your smack to be valid .

But it's been fun, your day is coming soon.
Smack to be valid? Perhaps not in Mens basketball, but you've talked shit on multiple football threads as well. Can the schtick, it's old and tired.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Smack to be valid? Perhaps not in Mens basketball, but you've talked shit on multiple football threads as well. Can the schtick, it's old and tired.

Oh my, get a grip, will ya. If you can find 50 post on a KU football thread in the time this BB was formed, I'll take you out for lunch. I have spent very little time on any football thread other than Chiefs related.

JU, MU. KSU football threads are not for me....... Crap it wasn't till fat man came to KU tha6t they started to win some games. They are stilla long ways frombeing a quality program.

Sorry dude, you failed on this one.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh my, get a grip, will ya. If you can find 50 post on a KU football thread in the time this BB was formed, I'll take you out for lunch. I have spent very little time on any football thread other than Chiefs related.

JU, MU. KSU football threads are not for me....... Crap it wasn't till fat man came to KU tha6t they started to win some games. They are stilla long ways frombeing a quality program.

A 50 post KU football thread? I know of several.

All smack is "valid". Are you drunk?

58-4ever
03-23-2006, 02:56 PM

what's up with Mangianto anyway? that man needs to exhibit some self control or he may die before KU gets to a legitimate bowl game.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
A 50 post KU football thread? I know of several.

All smack is "valid". Are you drunk?

If you can find where I have made 50 post over the last 5 years on this BB about KU football ....... I will buy lunch.

Please look and count them ...... It will keep you busy for awhile.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Press conference beginning!

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
what's up with Mangianto anyway? that man needs to exhibit some self control or he may die before KU gets to a legitimate bowl game.

Not a clue, I pay very little attention to the KU football team, but Saul thinks I do .

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.kstatesports.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:07 PM
More Truman, Goldwater, Rhodes, Marshall, and Udall scholarships than any public university in the country. Suck it.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Huggy gets a standing ovation. This is a dream come true.

Lzen
03-23-2006, 03:10 PM

Shame on you, Roy. If you are a KU fan, you should support the football team, too. I'm certain we've had threads about KU football that have gone over 50 posts. I've been in several of them.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Shame on you, Roy. If you are a KU fan, you should support the football team, too. I'm certain we've had threads about KU football that have gone over 50 posts. I've been in several of them.
He's a KU mens basketball fan. The worst kind. :)

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Damn, this guy reminds me of Bill Snyder. Dry press conferences.

duncan_idaho
03-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Must be nice to have an AD that doesn't have his head planted securely because his butt cheeks, with no hope of removing it because his ego is too big...

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Must be nice to have an AD that doesn't have his head planted securely because his butt cheeks, with no hope of removing it because his ego is too big...
I couldn't be happier with AD Tim Weiser. It seems he has hit a home run (no pun intended) with the Baseball coach, football coach, and mens basketball coach. He also promoted our current volleyball coach.

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 03:30 PM

TYPE-O ...... Warning : I meant to say if he can find 50 post by me in 5 years about KU football..... Knock your self out.

I don't follow KU football that much........

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Delete : repost :p

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
TYPE-O ...... Warning : I meant to say if he can find 50 post by me in 5 years about KU football..... Knock your self out.

I don't follow KU football that much........
http://www.kstategear.com/images/tshirts/tee0230-0306.jpg

KCFalcon59
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM

that's good.....ROFLROFLROFL

tk13
03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
ROFL Quin are those going to go on sale?

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 06:27 PM

You know, the only purple and white wildcat I ever cared about was my high school mascot.

As a Jayhawk fan, I was wearing purple and white for 4 years in sports.... Louisburg Wildcats ...... in Eastern Kansas.

IMHO, that's why so many people and kids from that town are associated with KSU.....

One would have thought they would wisen up..... I was wrong. :p

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 06:38 PM

Haha thats pretty clever Saul.

But its really gay....A purple hug? Yes I get the joke and all but its still pretty flamboyantly gay.

alanm
03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Press conference beginning!
Did he mention he's going to start recruiting student athletes? Because starting next year they have to start graduating a certain percentage or they start losing schlorships.
And Huggins does has a rep for poor student graduation rates.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Did he mention he's going to start recruiting student athletes? Because starting next year they have to start graduating a certain percentage or they start losing schlorships.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I read where he graduated 26 players in 16 years. No wonder nobody else wanted him.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 06:52 PM

alanm, I'll let you know the minute he recruits Lawrence Phillips.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 06:55 PM
alanm, I'll let you know the minute he recruits Lawrence Phillips.
ROFL

This is all they have. GSR smack. Don't mention to KU that they have 4 teams under the minimum acceptable GSR requirements.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 07:03 PM
I read where he graduated 26 players in 16 years. No wonder nobody else wanted him.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3070975&highlight=Illinois#post3070975

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to add, do you think K-State could, in a million years, get the head coach at Illinois to quit and go to K-State? Think about it. You'd have a hard time getting the coach at Tulsa to do that.

I seriously don't understand why you think K-State can get a decent coach in either basketball or football through traditional channels. Hey, KSU is a coaching graveyard. The athletes won't go there and even the dumbest coaches know that. The reason I used Tulsa as an example of whose coaches you can't get is because Tulsa is a "stepping stone " job to bigger and better things. You can recruit athletes to Tulsa. Tulsa has produced Tubby Smith, Nolan Richardson and Bill Self and yes, Buzz Peterson for a brief period. None of those guys would have gone to K-State no way no how. Read your history books, Sonny, and maybe you can learn how to gain a good coach. In the mean time, I'll just keep laughing at you.

...owned

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Welcome to:

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3070975&highlight=Illinois#post3070975

...owned
Totally by default. Nobody else wanted Huggins.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Don't care how we got him. He's here. And he's a better coach than Hairpiece.

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I can understand your giddiness. KSU could never get a coach with that good a record unless everybody else valued their integrity more than them. We will wait and see about Self. I sure wouldn't trade him for Thuggins.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 08:30 PM
I can understand your giddiness. KSU could never get a coach with that good a record unless everybody else valued their integrity more than them. We will wait and see about Self. I sure wouldn't trade him for Thuggins.

Integrity?

ROFL

leviw
03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
More Truman, Goldwater, Rhodes, Marshall, and Udall scholarships than any public university in the country. Suck it.

And with that note it became official: Wefald has lost his marbles. All of them. That was borderline embarrassing for him.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 09:18 PM
And with that note it became official: Wefald has lost his marbles. All of them. That was borderline embarrassing for him.

That guy.... :shake:

leviw
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
That guy.... :shake:

I love Dr. J. I really do. But, c'mon, he needs to draw a line on his ramblings.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 09:21 PM
I love Dr. J. I really do. But, c'mon, he needs to draw a line on his ramblings.

I was watching the thing go down and I all I thought was: "Please, no serendipity."

alanm
03-24-2006, 01:59 AM
ROFL

This is all they have. GSR smack. Don't mention to KU that they have 4 teams under the minimum acceptable GSR requirements.

Don't get me wrong guys. I think it's a great hire. I wish Pederson had the balls to fire Collier and hire Huggins. I hope it works out. But... It could also seriously backfire too. They ran this story in the Omaha World Herald this morning.

Published Friday
March 24, 2006

Jim Litke: Troubling echo follows Huggins

BY JIM LITKE

AP SPORTS COLUMNIST

The ink had barely dried on Bob Huggins' new contract when Kansas State officials were offered a rare glimpse of what they were getting themselves into.

A few hundred miles east from Manhattan, Kan., where Huggins was introduced Thursday afternoon as the Wildcats' new coach, a few of his former - and perhaps future - ballplayers were making headlines at his last stop.

Maybe it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

First, there was the story of O.J. Mayo, a junior at Cincinnati North College Hill High School and two-time Ohio Mr. Basketball. Mayo sat out the state high school semifinals Thursday night - on orders from his principal, who wouldn't disclose the reason - and has no idea yet whether he'll play in the championship game Saturday.

But Mayo has known for awhile now where he and teammate Bill Walker, another very talented junior, wanted to go to college: Whichever school Huggins wound up at.

"At the same time," Mayo said recently, "we have to see where he ends up, what the school's fan base is like, see what the fans think about him and make sure everything is great."

Everything is not great, though, with the program Huggins left behind. Hours before its NIT quarterfinal loss to South Carolina on Thursday night, the University of Cincinnati suspended two starters, leading scorer James White and 3-point specialist Jihad Muhammad, for violating undisclosed NCAA eligibility rules.

Though Huggins hasn't been part of the program since he walked out the door last August with a $3 million buyout check - his contract wasn't renewed following his 2004 arrest for DUI - both White and Muhammad were his recruits. Draw your own conclusions.

In a statement released by the university, interim head coach Andy Kennedy said, "Our team will continue in its attempt to represent this university in the manner with which it deserves to be represented."

Anybody who watched the opening few minutes of the Huggins news conference heard Kansas State president Jon Wefald try to say much the same thing.

In a rambling introduction, Wefald mentioned a handful of the school's recent academic achievements and said he wanted an athletic program that would complement them. He talked about "plumbing the depths" in the school's search for a coach, about contacting the NCAA "six or seven times" to ensure integrity, and about America being a great place because it presents opportunities "to fit in ... and to start over again." And then he turned the microphone over to ... Huggins.

"I don't know that I've ever been around nicer people," Huggins said, "people committed to doing things the right way."

Any more questions about why big-time college athletics is such a cesspool?

Didn't think so.

Had Wefald been more honest and less convoluted, he would have said something like this:

"We're tired of losing, tired of being stuck at home during March Madness, tired of being dumped on in the Big 12, tired of not filling the arena, not selling more programs, jerseys, bobbleheads, bottle openers, keychains and every other doodad you can slap a Wildcat logo on.

"That, plain and simple, is why Bob Huggins is standing next to me today. He wins basketball games. I'll worry about all the other stuff when the NCAA opens a satellite office on campus."

There's no need to review the laundry list of accomplishments and troubles compiled by Huggins, beyond saying that if his virtues were stacked up alongside his sins, the piles would be close to even. He finds kids as desperate as he is to win, doesn't graduate as many as he should, but saves more than the odds would dictate. He inspires loyalty in players that few coaches can match, teaches defense better than most of the rest, and is hounded by trouble - from the NCAA and the law - more often than all but a handful.

That's who Huggins is. He suffered a massive heart attack in the Pittsburgh airport in September 2002 and was in his office two weeks later. Huggins vowed to change, but a few minutes into his first game back - an exhibition game! - he exploded again. Intimidation and intensity were his principal teaching tools back then, and as Thursday's bad news back in Cincinnati reminded everyone, nothing much is likely to change.

Huggins will bring some great players to Kansas State, the Wildcats will win way more than they'll lose, and sometime down the road, that satellite NCAA office in Manhattan will be calling Wefald with questions.

And anybody who didn't see it coming has no business running a grade school, let alone a university.

Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2138900

ROYC75
03-24-2006, 07:18 AM

Better ? Plus the baggage too ? :shake:

Again, he brings you wins and alot of nightmares. Good Luck.