PDA

View Full Version : Pastabelly:Defense could get headsets

Wile_E_Coyote
03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2380489

Like their offensive counterparts, NFL defenses could be wired in 2006.

As part of its report to owners during next week's annual NFL meeting in Orlando, Fla., the influential competition committee will propose that teams be permitted to install a radio headset into the helmet of one defensive player. The apparatus would be similar to the ones inside the helmets of quarterbacks and would provide coaches an opportunity to communicate with the defense without using hand signals.

Several defensive coaches, including a few prominent coordinators, have lobbied the league for the past few years to permit headsets for the helmet of at least one defensive player. Those coaches contended that the offense has an unfair advantage because of the quarterback headsets. The competition committee finally agreed that the issue is worthy of consideration.

Atlanta Falcons team president Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee, acknowledged Tuesday there is some evidence that opposition coaches have been able to decipher the manual signals used by defensive coordinators to set their various schemes.

"Let's just assume they're borrowing the [hand] signals," McKay said.

After experimenting with helmet radios during preseason play for a year, the NFL implemented them for regular-season games in 1994. Since that time, the technology has made the headsets increasingly reliable.

The proposal that will be presented to NFL owners next week would permit each team to designate one defensive player per game to wear a headset. The defensive player could be from any position, although the assumption is that most teams would designate a linebacker.

When the designated player is off the field, the headset cannot be transferred to another defender. And if the player is injured and forced from the game, the team would lose the use of the headset.

"It basically would end the communication," McKay said.

McKay declined to say of the competition committee will present the proposal with its recommendation. But since the proposal originated with the committee, it almost certainly has its approval, and that usually carries weight with the owners. As with any rules change, the proposal requires a three-quarters vote of the membership or the support of 24 of 32 owners to be approved.

FAX
03-22-2006, 08:56 PM
I hope this gets approved, Mr. Wile_E_Coyote. I think it's a great idea.

If the hand signals get any more complicated, somebody's going to get hurt.

FAX

JBucc
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a good idea

KCChiefsFan88
03-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Pastabelly has a new mugshot on ESPN. I'm glad he stays off of TV.

http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/pasquarelli_len_m.jpg

milkman
03-22-2006, 09:06 PM
When the designated player is off the field, the headset cannot be transferred to another defender. And if the player is injured and forced from the game, the team would lose the use of the headset.

I doubt it will pass, cause the NFL is all about the offense.

However, if it does, why would the defense lose the use of the headset if the player gets injured?

The offense doesn't lose theirs when the starting QB gets injured.

I am really sick and tired of the NFL's offensive favoratism.

The defense is like the unwanted stepchild.

nychief
03-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Finallly we can yell to Bartee, "LOOK UP! ASSHOLE"

WilliamTheIrish
03-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Finallly we can yell to Bartee, "LOOK UP! ASSHOLE"

GODDAMMIT!!!

Beat me to it.

CoMoChief
03-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I think its a good idea, but it would suck to have that guy get hurt and for the defense to lose the communication. Especially since we are so undisciplined on that side of the ball. Does only the starting QB get the heatset in the helmet? Or do backups get it too?

FAX
03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
After additional consideration, I've changed my opinion on this matter.

If we rely on this approach, the Donkeys will use radio transmitters tuned to the same frequency to block our communication from the sideline. We don't need that.

I vote no.

FAX

Reaper16
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
What about radio communication foir special teams? What if we could pump some AC/DC into Boomer's helmet for kickoffs? :)

Tribal Warfare
03-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Pastabelly
http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/pasquarelli_len_m.jpg

"The Miracle of Cheese"

dj56dt58
03-23-2006, 12:12 AM
What about radio communication foir special teams? What if we could pump some AC/DC into Boomer's helmet for kickoffs? :)
Waste of money. Boomer uses his ipod

TheChiefofSoCal
03-23-2006, 12:16 AM
I can just see it now Gunther sittin up top,spit flyin out showerin the top three rows.DJ's ears bleeding.And the only thing Gunthers screeming is KILL KILL KILL!Can't wait!

StcChief
03-23-2006, 08:14 AM

AC/DC is already running thru Boomer's head....
:p

jspchief
03-23-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm actually suprised this hasn't already happened. What possible reasoning could be given in opposition of this?

StcChief
03-23-2006, 08:54 AM
An unfair advantage to Offense to get the TV audience ratings up to sell more ads at higher prices...Nah.

The need to level it so D has equal Technological advantage. The helmet should be able to move.
Just like QB on offense.