PDA

View Full Version : First album, 8-track, cassette, or CD?

Scaga
03-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if this has been discussed before, but heard the topic on the radio yesterday.

What was your first "record"? (police records don't count)
You can show your age by telling if it was album, 8-track, ect.....

I believe mine was an Aerosmith Greatest Hits. I remember the sleeve was red, with white wings on it.

MOhillbilly
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
the first LP(on wax) i ever bought w/ my own hard earned cash-

WE SOLD OUR SOULS FOR ROCK N ROLL - BLACK SABBATH probably 84 -85ish.

edit- the first tapes i ever bought were VAn Halen 1984 and def leopard pyromania and like jsp - played it right up to my ear fullblast on my one speaker grey ghettoblaster.

i was the coolest kid a St. Agnes.:rolleyes::)

31 btw

jspchief
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't specifically remember the first one that I actually owned. But I do remember my parents getting a bunch of cassettes from Columbia House, and me specifically latching onto the Eagles' 'Hotel California'. I'd play it on the highest volume of one of those little tape recorders, with my head lying on the speaker. I couldn't get enough.

Miles
03-23-2006, 08:38 AM
I can't remember what my first cassette was but my first two CDs were Metallica - And Justice for All and Foreigner - Records.

Dartgod
My first album was Deep Purple - Machine Head. And yes, it was an album.

I remember buying it at Burstein Applebee in Lee's Summit. Anyone else remember those stores? It was sort of a Radio Shack type place.

Actually, my first album was the Monkees Greatest Hits, but that was a gift as a pre-teenager. Machine Head was the first album I bought with my own money.

shaneo69
This is embarrassing...

First record (33) was the Grease movie soundtrack.

First 45 was Another One Bites the Dust.

First cassette was Kiss Asylum.

First CD was Van Halen Balance.

jspchief
03-23-2006, 08:40 AM
This is embarrassing...

First record (33) was the Grease movie soundtrack.

First 45 was Another One Bites the Dust.

First cassette was Kiss Asylum.

First CD was Van Halen Balance.That could be my list. You and I must be close in age (33).

Baby Lee
03-23-2006, 08:41 AM
First music I possessed was a '45 of 'Jack and Diane' I got in the school x-mas exchange [are those legal any more?] in 3rd grade.
Next would either be Run DMC or Metallica 'Kill 'Em All' on Cassette from the Venture by Bannister Mall.
First CDs, the day after I bought my 1st CD player my first weekend back home in Freshman year at University, were Whitesnake and Journey's Greatest Hits, both bought at the used CD shop.

Now I have about 1200 CDs, 300 cassettes and 50 LPs.

Fat Elvis
03-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Kansas- Point of Know Return

Aries Walker
03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
The first singles I bought were Jim Stafford's "Spiders and Snakes" and David Essex's "Rock On" at the Waxie Maxie's in the Aspen Hill Shopping Center. I was six.

The first full-length is harder to pin down. It was probably "Kiss Alive" on 8-track when I was 8.

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't specifically remember the first one that I actually owned. But I do remember my parents getting a bunch of cassettes from Columbia House, and me specifically latching onto the Eagles' 'Hotel California'. I'd play it on the highest volume of one of those little tape recorders, with my head lying on the speaker. I couldn't get enough.
Maybe that's what's wrong with you. It made your brain all soft.

KChiefs1
03-23-2006, 08:55 AM
1st 45 - The Archie's "Sugar Sugar"
1st Album - Disney's The Jungle Book
1st 8-Track - Steve Miller "Fly Like an Eagle"
1st cassette - Led Zeppelin
1st CD - Van Halen 1984

ROYC75
03-23-2006, 09:00 AM
A trip back to memory lane .........

As Dartgod claimed, mine too was the Monkey's Greatest Hits. I had several 45's long before albums, it was the going ticket back then.

As for age, think about it....45's ?

In the early 70's, 8 tracks came along, then cassettes.

Damn. I'm getting old now thinking back, I'm going to stop it now, OK.

gblowfish
03-23-2006, 09:03 AM
This should be in the music thread...
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/twitch3.html

chagrin
03-23-2006, 09:06 AM
First Vinyl: Kiss - Dressed To Kill
First 8 track: Kiss - Rock and Roll Over
First Cassette: BOC - Transmaniacon MC

Baby Lee
03-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Maybe that's what's wrong with you. It made your brain all soft.
Skip's first recording?

"Come here Watson. I need you."

KCTitus
03-23-2006, 09:10 AM
First Album: Journey - Frontiers
First Cassette: Def Leppard - Pyromania
First CD: Boston - Boston

I think the Journey album was the one and only album I ever owned. I never had a vinyl collection as cassettes were easier to deal with and CD's started coming out when I had the $$ to buy my own stuff.

Dartgod
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
This should be in the music thread...
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/twitch3.html
Don't you have a cat to torture? :p

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Skip's first recording?

"Come here Watson. I need you."
It was not. It was "The Best of Benny Goodman".

StcChief
03-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Cassette -
Steppenwolf - Live, Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
LP - Emerson Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

8 Track - NEVER OWNED ONE.

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Well I was born in 1983 so I didnt really have 8 track or albums. Around the late 80's and early 90's is when I started "collecting" music I guess I would say.

My first cassette tape was Vanilla Ice (single of Ice Ice Baby) - hah

My first CD was Garth Brooks' "Ropin' the Wind"

Rain Man
03-23-2006, 09:31 AM
My very first record was "Johnny Horton Makes History". I was drawn to The Battle of New Orleans and The Sinking of the Bismarck.

http://www.purecountrymusic.com/photos/productFullD-704.gif

After buying that for my 10th or 11th birthday, I didn't buy another piece of music until I was about 17. A friend of mine had a Volkswagen van that caught on fire and was burned, and he needed money. I bought an 8-track from him where the case was half-melted from the fire, but it still worked fine. The album? Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell.

http://www.thenightowl.com/images/meatloaf.jpg

shaneo69
03-23-2006, 09:33 AM
It was not. It was "The Best of Benny Goodman".

CD?

Mile High Mania
03-23-2006, 09:42 AM
I can't recall the first album that I received, but I do remember that the first album that I paid for at K-Mart with my own money was... Love Gun by KISS. I was a little kid and I thought that was the coolest thing.

patteeu
03-23-2006, 10:03 AM
I believe mine was an Aerosmith Greatest Hits. I remember the sleeve was red, with white wings on it.

Mine was an 8-track tape of Aerosmith's Live Bootleg. I asked for it for Christmas and told my Mom and Dad I wanted the one with "Sweet Emotion" and "Walk This Way" on it and that's what the record store people pointed out to them. I didn't realize it at the time, but what I really wanted was "Toys In The Attic," but there were a couple of pretty good songs on the live record and I eventually got TITA from Columbia House so it all worked out in the end.

plbrdude
03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
1st lp i bought was some kind of black sabbath compilation i think. somewhere around 75 or so
i had a grand funk "live-caught in the act"l 8-track. it was probly one of the first.
43 here

DJJasonp
03-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Embarassing enough...

My first record I remember having is the Jackson 5's greatest hits.

First record I remember buying with my allowance: Kiss Alive 2

8-track had to be one of those K-Tel compilations

Cassette was probably Def Leppard Pyromania

One of the first CD's I can remember buying was New Order - Substance (still stands up today)

el borracho
03-23-2006, 10:18 AM
My first record (besides the "Disco Duck" single) was Queen's "News of the World."

I was six years old and I can distinctly remember my mother asking me if I wanted a stuffed animal or a record for Easter. I wanted a record, that one in particular because I had heard my soccer teammates play it at some point.

FAX
03-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Mine was a demonstration copy of the vinyl lp "The Big Men Bold and Bad".

Featured hits like "John Henry, The Steel Drivin' Man", "The Ballad Of Jessie James", and "John Hardy Was An Outlaw". Great album. Every song was performed by a different artist/singer.

What really pisses me off is that a lot of people think John Henry and John Hardy were the same guy. But they weren't.

FAX

plbrdude
03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
What really pisses me off is that a lot of people think John Henry and John Hardy were the same guy. But they weren't.

FAX

kinda like the people who talk about "pink floyd"-- you know,that dude who did the wall album. or lynyrd skynyrd-- you know man, that guy who did freebird.

morphius
03-23-2006, 10:47 AM
I had some records, but only a couple. Seem to remember Greece and one of my Dad's old Bee Gee records and I think I may have had the single of Eye of the Tiger from the Rocky movie, but that was it for records. First tapes I got as birthday presents, Steve Miller Band Abracadabra and Men at Work Business as Usual.

kc rush
03-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Rush - Rush (13th birthday gift)

Within the next two weeks:

Rush - Moving Pictures
Styx - Paradise Theater

Baconeater
03-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Rush - Rush (13th birthday gift)

Within the next two weeks:

Rush - Moving Pictures
Styx - Paradise Theater

:thumb: Styx-one of my all time favorites, at least up until the "Mr Roboto" debacle.

First album was E.L.O.-Discovery.

Rain Man
03-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Oh, yeah. Styx ruled my adolescence. They were cutting edge to this Ozarkian.

dilligaf
03-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Blue Oyster Cult "Mirrors".

Mile High Mania
03-23-2006, 12:36 PM
It's good to know that I'm not the only one that spent his allowance money on KISS.

sedated
03-23-2006, 12:40 PM
First 2 albums (CDs - bought at same time)

Green Day - Dookie
Weird Al Yankovic- The Food Album

Hydrae
03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Kansas- Point of Know Return

That was my first album as well. 1978

The sad part is that I wanted that album for "Dust in the Wind." :shake: I much prefer many other songs on that album now (Point of Know Return, He Knew, etc).

shakesthecat
03-23-2006, 12:43 PM
45 - Hi Hi Hi by Wings
I think I was about 8 and I didn't realize what it was about. Obviously, neither did my folks.

LP - Best of BTO

Cassette/ Duke - Genesis

8 track/ Van Halen 1

CD/ Back in the High Life - Steve Winwood

penchief
03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Endless Summer by the Beach Boys.

The first time I bought an album without getting prior approval from my parents I bought Young American's by David Bowie. I thought the song Fame was cool. Little did I know I was about to be lyrically educated. I was never the same and my Dad was pissed. After he got done shaking his head all he could say was, "well, I hope that damn thing was worth eight dollars."

Delano
03-23-2006, 01:01 PM
I had a couple of Snoop Doggy Dogg singles on tape. Gin and Juice and the self-titled first hit come to mind. I think I ripped them off from the department store across the street.

redbrian
03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
1st LP Electric Lady - Jimi Hendrex
1st 8 track Born to be Wild - Steppen Wolf
Never bought a pre-recorded cassett
1st CD would Great Big Boy - Leo Kottke

BagoobaChief
03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
First album I remember getting with my own cash was Pink Floyd - Animals. The very 1st time I actually played it was on my Emerson Stereo AM/FM - Cassette Tape Deck and Turn Table all in one. I put it on the turn table, went to shut the lid and dropped the lid right on the arm and scratched the hell out of side one from beginning to end. This was before they put hinges on the lids. I was so freaking pissed!!

1st 8-track was Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus. I remember having to put folded match book covers between the player and the bottom of the tape so it would on play one track instead of hearing two tracks at a time.

1st cassette was Greatful Dead - Terapin Station

the good old days.....

BagoobaChief
03-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Oh yeah ... 1st CD was Don Henley - End of the Innocence

First album I remember getting with my own cash was Pink Floyd - Animals. The very 1st time I actually played it was on my Emerson Stereo AM/FM - Cassette Tape Deck and Turn Table all in one. I put it on the turn table, went to shut the lid and dropped the lid right on the arm and scratched the hell out of side one from beginning to end. This was before they put hinges on the lids. I was so freaking pissed!!

1st 8-track was Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus. I remember having to put folded match book covers between the player and the bottom of the tape so it would on play one track instead of hearing two tracks at a time.

1st cassette was Greatful Dead - Terapin Station

the good old days.....

Reaper16
03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
1st cassette was Sammy Kershaw - "Haunted Heart"

1st CD was Metallica - "Master of Puppets"

Dartgod
03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
First album I remember getting with my own cash was Pink Floyd - Animals. The very 1st time I actually played it was on my Emerson Stereo AM/FM - Cassette Tape Deck and Turn Table all in one..
Heh. I had an Emerson AM/FM, Phonograph, Cassette Tape, AND 8 Track stereo.

listopencil
03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
A comedy album-Bill Cosby.

It was this one:

http://media.bestprices.com/content/music/70/92877.jpg

Ahhh...The Chickenheart.

StcChief
03-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Move to Music planet?

Bowser
03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Album: Def Leppard - Pyromania

Cassette: Either Styx - Paradise Theater or Dio - Holy Diver

CD: Either Cinderella - Night songs or Iron Maiden - Powerslave

BagoobaChief
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Heh. I had an Emerson AM/FM, Phonograph, Cassette Tape, AND 8 Track stereo.
You're parents obviuosly spoiled you with the deluxe model....

HemiEd
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
First record was a 45 of the Beach Boys, "Little old Lady from Pasadena" IIRC. First LP was actually a 4 track of "Meet the Monkeys."

chagrin
03-23-2006, 02:53 PM
It was not. It was "A Gregorian Chant Christmas"

Fixed your post

:p

chagrin
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
First record was a 45 of the Beach Boys, "Little old Lady from Pasadena" IIRC. First LP was actually a 4 track of "Meet the Monkeys."

ROFL

you're old

HemiEd
03-23-2006, 03:01 PM
ROFL

you're old

Yep, and it happened so fast. If you are fortunate it will happen to you! :D

chagrin
03-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Yep, and it happened so fast. If you are fortunate it will happen to you! :D

ROFL
Yeah, yeah, okay Hank Hill...

C-Mac
03-23-2006, 04:12 PM
45 record of Steve Wonder "YesterMe, YesterYou, YesterDay"

COchief
03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Cassette:

Duran Duran The album with "Rio" and "Hungry like a wolf"

80s baby yeah!

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 04:17 PM
45 record of Steve Wonder "YesterMe, YesterYou, YesterDay"
I remember when those new fangled 45's showed up. You had to get little plastic discs to play them.

C-Mac
03-23-2006, 04:23 PM
I remember when those new fangled 45's showed up. You had to get little plastic discs to play them.
Ya.... and the rich kids got the little red snap-ins for every one of their 45's.

nychief
03-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Fine Young Cannibal's "The Raw and the Cooked"

Nzoner
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM

That also reminds me of the ones they used to put on the back of cereal boxes.I remember getting a Jackson 5 on the back of an Alpha-Bits box.The things were made of cardboard but they played,at least a few times.

Nzoner
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
As for my first I was a kid picking up pop bottles for cash and my Uncle to me to the grocery store where they used to have those 8-track displays that spun.Anyhow I was about 7 and just randomly took a shot,I ended up with Led Zeppelin IV ( ZOSO).

My first album I bought with my 9th birthday money,again at random because i liked the cover,it was The Doors Morrison Hotel.

Bob Dole
03-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Terry Jacks - Season... Oh wait, that was Bob Dole's little sister.

All of Bob Dole's own memories of childhood music prior to 1974 have been beaten into the nether-regions of Bob Dole's consciousness by that horrible nadir of pop music. It has, in fact, scarred Bob Dole so deeply that Bob Dole has refused to listen to a single song by Nirvana since he discovered that they COVERED THE GOD-FORSAKEN ODE TO SATAN (http://img.slate.msn.com/media/50/Nirvana_SeasonsInTheSun-110k.wmv) in 1993.

Not going to step foot in Canada any time soon, either.

Frazod
03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Album. Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.

In my defense, I was nine at the time. :D

Bob Dole
03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Album. Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.

In my defense, I was nine at the time. :D

Did your mother sing along and change the lyrics to "Timmy, don't be a hero"?

seclark
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
1st 45
dr hook & the medicine show
side 1: cover of the rolling stone
side 2: queen of the silver dollar

sec

Frazod
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Did your mother sing along and change the lyrics to "Timmy, don't be a hero"?

If she did, I've successfully managed to block out the memory of it. :D

I remember having that album at my mom's house AND my dad's house. It would have been terrible to miss Bo during weekend visitation. I was also a member of the fan club.

The horror...... :deevee:

sedated
03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Fine Young Cannibal's "The Raw and the Cooked"

f@g

:p

Over-Head
03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
First 8Track :
Prism: All the best From Prism 80'

First Album:
Paul Lawson "Cameo"
Bob and Doug McKenzie "Great White North" http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/9134/

First Cassette:
Night Ranger "Midnight Madness"

And YES, to this day I still have all of them :D

papasmurf
03-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Johnny Rivers' Golden Hits.........8-track

stevieray
03-23-2006, 07:45 PM
first 45 Theme from rockford files
first album LZ Houses of the holy
first comedy album Bill Cosby..To russell, my brother, whom I slept with.
first eight track Cars Candy O
first cassette...Pink Floyd The Wall
First CD LZ four CD box set.

Toad
03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
I am seriously dating myself, but mine was Styx = Grand Illusion.

C-Mac
03-23-2006, 09:05 PM

Really......"Come Sail Away" was the theme to my senior year book, hows that for "dating" ones self.

stevieray
03-23-2006, 09:12 PM

I saw that show at Memorial Hall

C-Mac
03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I saw that show at Memorial Hall

Senior year on my birthday :thumb:

stevieray
03-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Senior year on my birthday :thumb:

I can still see James Young singing Miss America.

KS Smitty
03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
My very first personally owned album was.....Badfinger-Straight Up. On Apple Records, produced by George Harrison. Still own it. My big brother gave it to me.

Bob Dole
03-23-2006, 10:58 PM
First 8Track :
Prism: All the best From Prism 80'

First Album:
Paul Lawson "Cameo"
Bob and Doug McKenzie "Great White North" http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/9134/

First Cassette:
Night Ranger "Midnight Madness"

And YES, to this day I still have all of them :D

You have "Canadian" tatooed on your forehead, don't you?

Boyceofsummer
03-23-2006, 11:21 PM
BEEP BEEP
The Playmates - 1958

(very slowly)
Beep beep beep beep
His horn went beep beep beep
While riding in my Cadillac
What to my surprise
A little Nash Rambler was following me
About one third my size
The guy musta wanted to pass me up
As he kept on tooting his horn
I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn
Beep beep beep beep

(slowly)
I pushed my foot down to the floor
To give the guy the shake
But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind
He still had on his brake
He musta thought his car had more guts
As he kept on tooting his horn (beep beep)
Beep beep beep beep

(normal speed)
My car went into passing gear
And we took off with gust (whoosh)
Soon we were going ninety
Musta left him in the dust
When I peeked in the mirror of my car
I couldn't believe my eyes
The little Nash Rambler was right behind
You'd think that guy could fly
Beep beep beep beep

(quickly)
Now we were doing a hundred and ten
This certainly was a race
For a Rambler to pass a Caddy
Would be a big disgrace
The guy musta wanted to pass me up
As he kept on tooting his horn (beep beep)
Beep beep beep beep

(very quickly)
Now we're going a hundred twenty
As fast as I can go
The Rambler pulled along side of me
As if we were going slow
The fella rolled down his window
And yelled for me to hear
"Hey buddy how do I get this car outa second gear?"