PDA

View Full Version : Sunvold gets shafted again by Mizzou

KingPriest2
03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Link, Sundvold, Moccia out of MU search committeeBy MIKE DeARMOND The Kansas City StarGary Link and Jon Sundvold apparently will have no further say in who will be Missouri’s new head men’s basketball coach.
Mike Alden, MU’s athletic director, has told Link and senior associate Mario Moccia that neither they nor Sundvold will be part of meetings between Alden, UMC deputy chancellor Mike Middleton and consultant Bob Beaudine aimed at selecting the man who will replace Quin Snyder.
“That’s accurate,” Link told The Star on Thursday morning.
Said Sundvold: “Our job, it appears, is over.”
Moccia offered no comment.
“I think the search committee has done a really good job with this,” Alden told The Star. “But as far as the process is concerned and what we’re doing, once again I’m not going to talk about that.”
The original search committee was composed of Alden, Link, Sundvold, Moccia and Middleton. Link is a special assistant to Alden, in addition to handling duties as color commentator for radio broadcasts of MU basketball.
Link was also the controversial figure whose talks with Snyder about his impossible future as MU’s coach seemed to precipitate Snyder’s decision to quit on Feb. 10, several weeks short of the completion of Snyder’s seventh season at MU. Link, like Sundvold, who runs his own capital management business in Columbia, is also a respected former MU basketball player.
But Sundvold said that it was obvious what had been advertised as a search committee was merely a screening committee.
“I guess the definition of our committee was the same as last time,” Sundvold said, “a screening committee that put the list together, and then Mike can go make that decision.”
When MU hired Snyder, then an assistant out of Duke, Sundvold was one of the search committee members that favored hiring Bill Self, now the Kansas head coach. Alden hired Snyder.
This time, Link and Sundvold favored hiring, or at least interviewing, Bob Huggins. So too, Sundvold indicated, did Moccia. That position became moot when Alden and UMC chancellor Brady Deaton said that neither Huggins nor former Utah coach Rick Majerus would be interviewed at MU.
The reason, Sundvold was told by Deaton, was that Deaton and Alden weren’t comfortable with past NCAA or off-court problems associated with both those veteran coaches.
Huggins’ background didn’t stand in the way of Kansas State hiring him on Thursday.
But Link, Sundvold and Moccia now appear out of the process to decide who Missouri will turn to next as Snyder’s possible replacement.
“I’m just a basketball player that’s trying to get the best basketball coach at the University of Missouri,” Link said. “That was my goal from day one. And certainly Jon and myself, whoever they hire as the coach, we’re going to support them and we’re going to root for Missouri.”
Link pointed out that what Missouri is losing is not only basketball expertise in the selection process. Link is from St. Louis; Sundvold from Blue Springs.
“Jon and I — no disrespect to the other three members of the committee — but we’re born and raised in Missouri,” said Link. “We played at Missouri. We will be Missouri Tigers forever. Maybe the other three gentlemen will be. But they certainly can’t be a Missouri Tiger as young as we were.
“This is our team and this is our university. If Gary Link and Jon Sundvold were willing to say that Bob Huggins certainly deserved an interview . . .”
Link and Sundvold taking that stance drew sharp media criticism, particularly in St. Louis, that they were willing to hire a coach who might cut corners off the court to assure victory on it.
“I don’t think it was fair to Jon or anybody to say `Well, you guys want to win at all costs.’” Link said. “No we don’t.
“We want to win at a high level. And certainly if we would have had an opportunity to visit with coach Huggins, we would have made that perfectly clear. We’re proud of our institution. We want academics. We want players to graduate. We want good players and they have to do it the right way. If he would have said, ‘Your standards are too high. I can’t do it,’ we would have shaken hands and stood up and walked out.
“But we never got the opportunity to do that, which is what makes it the most frustrating.”
And, Link added: “As of today, I don’t know that they’re asking us for any more input.”
Sundvold said he has not received that official word from Alden, but that Moccia had informed him of pretty much that.
Sundvold and Link each said they could not now give an accurate ranking of the pecking order of Missouri’s working list of possible candidates.
Confirmation has come from Iowa and UAB that Steve Alford and Mike Anderson, respectively, have been granted permission to talk to MU about the Tigers’ head hoops job.
Alford on Wednesday issued a statement saying that he had not scheduled an interview with another school. Sources close to the MU hunt told The Star on Thursday morning that no interviews, with any candidate, had then been scheduled by Alden.
Alden wouldn’t comment on that when he returned a telephone call to The Star on Thursday morning. Alden said that he was out of Columbia, but would not say where, nor on what business.
Sundvold and Link said that MU’s list of coaching candidates seemed continually to change.
In no particular order of preference, it is believed to now include at least John Calipari of Memphis, John Beilein of West Virginia, Jaime Dixon of Pitt, Anderson, Alford, Creighton’s Dana Altman, Kelvin Sampson of Oklahoma and possibly even Kevin Stallings of Vanderbilt.
“As far as ranking them and knowing who Mike (Alden) and Bob Beaudine are going to talk to,” Link told The Star, “I don’t know.”
Said Sundvold: “I do not know that list. There was a list. But some times there are added names. Mike and Mike and Bob could have added someone else.”

KingPriest2
03-23-2006, 02:17 PM
This move right here pisses me off.

What in the blue hell is going on down in Columbia? At first I was giving them a chance but now it does say they have no clue.

Alden and Co. needs to go.

If I were Sunvold I would stop supporting the Atl dept.

Pitt Gorilla
03-23-2006, 02:30 PM

What in the blue hell is going on down in Columbia? At first I was giving them a chance but now it does say they have no clue.

Many have made the argument to have Sundvold become athletic director.

Reaper16
03-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Mike Anderson is, uhhh, underwhelming. And he's looking more and more like the favorite.

Meanwhile, K-State hit one out of the park w/ Huggins. They will win in Manhattan once again.

duncan_idaho
03-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Mike Anderson is, uhhh, underwhelming. And he's looking more and more like the favorite.

Meanwhile, K-State hit one out of the park w/ Huggins. They will win in Manhattan once again.

By what criteria is Anderson underwhelming?

Because he's taken a mid-major to the tourney three straight years (and gone on a nice run in one of those seasons?)

Because his team plays an exciting style of basketball that's fun to watch, tough to prepare for and enticing to recruits?

He might not have the proven track record of Huggins, but it's too early to say who will have more success at their new school (if Missouri hires Anderson), at least at this point.

siberian khatru
03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
With my cursed fandom, Mike Alden will leave Missouri only to replace Carl Peterson as GM of the Chiefs.

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I know that Im dealing with touchy ground here, but I wouldnt want a racist Nolan Richardson prodigy IMO. I'm getting the vibe that Elson Floyd is urging MU to look to hire a black coach, which would be Mike Anderson, which sucks for MU IMO. The guy wont be attractive for recruits as would Majerus or Huggins or Alford would be. It's all about politics. If I were Sundvold I would call up for an interview to the STL Disaptch and KC Star and formally call for Alden's job. It seems that Sunvold has MAJOR pull coming from the alumni. Sundvold deserves the AD job.

Gotta give props to the Blue Springs HS Alumni !!!

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 03:12 PM
By what criteria is Anderson underwhelming?

Because he's taken a mid-major to the tourney three straight years (and gone on a nice run in one of those seasons?)

Because his team plays an exciting style of basketball that's fun to watch, tough to prepare for and enticing to recruits?

He might not have the proven track record of Huggins, but it's too early to say who will have more success at their new school (if Missouri hires Anderson), at least at this point.

UAB is not a mid major school. They're in Conference USA.

DMAC
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM

Great coaches have to start somewhere.

duncan_idaho
03-23-2006, 03:23 PM
UAB is not a mid major school. They're in Conference USA.

Conference USA isn't one of the Big Six. Before it lost so many power teams (Marquette, etc), it might have been worthy of a mention amonst the Big Six in basketball.

It isn't now.

As for Anderson not being a good recruiter... don't know where you're getting that. And I've heard no mention of Anderson being racist.

He's young. He's black. He coaches a style that kids like playing in.

He can relate to his recruits (because of his age and race)... and what kid doesn't want to come play in a running, trapping system that relies on a lot of three-pointers?

Chief Henry
03-23-2006, 03:26 PM
What happened to the Steve Alford thing ?

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 04:23 PM

I think Suvold should step to the plate and get Alden canned. He is one person that could really turn the tables on Alden. I would imagine that Norm Stewart would also be willing to help, between the two of them, they could probably turn the heat up quite a bit. It's easy, talk to the press, let the press know what has been going on - not just in the hiring of the next coach, but in the tenure of Alden.

I'm really starting to wonder if the reason Quin's success was dropping didn't have more to do with Alden than Quin. I'm really not sure if the "Dirty Program" wasn't as much Quin as it was Clemon's relationship with Floyd and other athletic dept officials. Yes, Quin is responsible for his player, but still, if those above him were meddling in his program, it kinda ties his hands.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 04:23 PM
What happened to the Steve Alford thing ?

Alford said he wasn't interviewing.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 04:25 PM
“I think the search committee has done a really good job with this,”

That's an out and out lie or he wouldn't have let them go before they at least narrowed down the search to a couple of canidates. If he isn't lying, he's admitting that they weren't the problem, he is - though if that were the case he should resign.

siberian khatru
03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm really starting to wonder if the reason Quin's success was dropping didn't have more to do with Alden than Quin. I'm really not sure if the "Dirty Program" wasn't as much Quin as it was Clemon's relationship with Floyd and other athletic dept officials. Yes, Quin is responsible for his player, but still, if those above him were meddling in his program, it kinda ties his hands.

The way I understood it, Quin asked Floyd to take Ricky under his wing.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 04:28 PM
The way I understood it, Quin asked Floyd to take Ricky under his wing.

I know that's what was said back when it was all happening, but with the way everything else is going, I'm not sure how much I believe it anymore.

siberian khatru
03-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I know that's what was said back when it was all happening, but with the way everything else is going, I'm not sure how much I believe it anymore.

Well, let's just say we agree that that place is a snake pit. I'd love to just clean house. :)

duncan_idaho
03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm going to Mike Alden in the ovaries. That's right, right in the baby maker.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, let's just say we agree that that place is a snake pit. I'd love to just clean house. :)

That's the thing, If Sunvold would start talking, I'd bet he could really stir things. Shoot, I'd love to hear Quin actually start talking. I bet he could sing like a bird if he wanted too.

duncan_idaho
03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
That's the thing, If Sunvold would start talking, I'd bet he could really stir things. Shoot, I'd love to hear Quin actually start talking. I bet he could sing like a bird if he wanted too.

Sadly, Quin is probably prevented from saying anything to the press about Alden because of the buyout agreement. That $500k wasn't a pat on the back—it was shush money.

And nothing would make me happier than seeing Sunvold and Stewart team up to run Alden out of town.

Sunvold might this program's last hope...

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Sadly, Quin is probably prevented from saying anything to the press about Alden because of the buyout agreement. That $500k wasn't a pat on the back—it was shush money.

And nothing would make me happier than seeing Sunvold and Stewart team up to run Alden out of town.

Sunvold might this program's last hope...

Yep.

Yep.

&

Yep.

CoMoChief
03-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Conference USA isn't one of the Big Six. Before it lost so many power teams (Marquette, etc), it might have been worthy of a mention amonst the Big Six in basketball.

It isn't now.

As for Anderson not being a good recruiter... don't know where you're getting that. And I've heard no mention of Anderson being racist.

He's young. He's black. He coaches a style that kids like playing in.

He can relate to his recruits (because of his age and race)... and what kid doesn't want to come play in a running, trapping system that relies on a lot of three-pointers?

Before all of the good teams went to the Big East, Conf USA was very competitive. Wasnt it called the big 7 as fas as power conferences go? Thats what I thought all this time but I could be wrong. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinatti, Marquette, and youre gonna call that conference a mid major???

I dont know if you know this or not but if you are familiar with basketball anyone can beat a press, and it usually results in the opposing team having "numbers" all afternoon. You wanna know how to beat 40 minutes of hell? Just ask Bill Self. You practice your starters against 7 players, then when they press you the court actually seems more wide open and players can adjust to the press better. And as far as you mentioning relying on 3 pt shooting goes, I think MU has been down that route all through Quins era here. I dont think MU should go through that again.

MU needs a good offensive minded coach with LOTS of discipline. The also need to be able to recruit big men down low to help compete with the rest of the Big12. You can get guards from anywhere. But good big mean are limited slim pickens. Now since Huggins is gone to KSU, MU should really look at Majerus or Alford for the HC job. You need someone who can recruit. That is the main thing if MU Wants to make runs in the tourney. THat and discipline.

duncan_idaho
03-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Pastor,

Does Alden realize he just dismissed the program's golden boy (Sunvold) in the same way he dismissed Snyder? From the way it sounds, he didn't even tell Sunvold that the search committee was being dissolved?

That's the one alumni I wouldn't mess with...

Hopefully, Alden will pay. But we'll see...

duncan_idaho
03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Before all of the good teams went to the Big East, Conf USA was very competitive. Wasnt it called the big 7 as fas as power conferences go? Thats what I thought all this time but I could be wrong. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinatti, Marquette, and youre gonna call that conference a mid major???

Dude, you need to go back and read my post.

I said it might have been worthy of mention among the Big Six before those schools left. I don't remember ever hearing Big Seven... Anyway, I said it isn't NOW. it's a mid-major conference NOW. I referred to UAB, therefore, as a mid-major, because that's what they currently are.

I realize those schools were still in the conference when Anderson was building things (so, technically, we're both probably right—C-USA had better than mid-major status in basketball before this season), and that fact makes me feel even better about his ability to compete in the Big 12, should he get the job.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Pastor,

Does Alden realize he just dismissed the program's golden boy (Sunvold) in the same way he dismissed Snyder? From the way it sounds, he didn't even tell Sunvold that the search committee was being dissolved?

That's the one alumni I wouldn't mess with...

Hopefully, Alden will pay. But we'll see...

Yeah, I noticed that. I also am noticing that Link seems to be taking sides with Sunvold. I'll bet he feels really, really used in all of this.

Link pointed out that what Missouri is losing is not only basketball expertise in the selection process. Link is from St. Louis; Sundvold from Blue Springs.
“Jon and I — no disrespect to the other three members of the committee — but we’re born and raised in Missouri,” said Link. “We played at Missouri. We will be Missouri Tigers forever. Maybe the other three gentlemen will be. But they certainly can’t be a Missouri Tiger as young as we were.
“This is our team and this is our university.

ChiefsFanatic
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Alden is an idiot. Unless he is being paid to act stupid :rolleyes:

Mosbonian
03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Sorry all...but if Sunvold really had all the power that everyone believed, Alden wouldn't be able to dismiss him so easily.

It seems that the Academic power block has a strangle hold on the University and is bent on hiring "their" guy, not someone who could truly revive the program.

mmaddog

|Zach|
03-23-2006, 07:35 PM
There were all these legends of Sunvold's basketball days from blue springs high school back in the day...

gblowfish
03-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Mrs. Elson Floyd and Mrs. Ed Stewart already told Ricky Clemons there were "too many crackers" in the MU Athletic Dept. I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan Richardson or Dave Chappelle was the next coach!
http://www.sportspages.com/content/blog.php?p=1938&more=1

tk13
03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
MU needs a good offensive minded coach with LOTS of discipline. The also need to be able to recruit big men down low to help compete with the rest of the Big12. You can get guards from anywhere. But good big mean are limited slim pickens. Now since Huggins is gone to KSU, MU should really look at Majerus or Alford for the HC job. You need someone who can recruit. That is the main thing if MU Wants to make runs in the tourney. THat and discipline.

Majerus or Alford would not be the guys I would go after if you wanted discipline. I think they need someone who can actually coach, not a recruiter. Quin had some very talented teams, but they had no discipline at all, horrible shot selection, poor defense.

WilliamTheIrish
03-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Anderson would be a great, great hire.

ChiefsFanatic
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Sorry all...but if Sunvold really had all the power that everyone believed, Alden wouldn't be able to dismiss him so easily.

It seems that the Academic power block has a strangle hold on the University and is bent on hiring "their" guy, not someone who could truly revive the program.

mmaddog

Money is power, and we know who has the money.

Mosbonian
03-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Money is power, and we know who has the money.

If you're talking Walton money, you can see how little it has helped the University lately.....

mmaddog

Reaper16
03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
I just don't think that the 40 Min of Hell that Bill Self embarassed two years ago is the correct way to go about things.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Mrs. Elson Floyd and Mrs. Ed Stewart already told Ricky Clemons there were "too many crackers" in the MU Athletic Dept. I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan Richardson or Dave Chappelle was the next coach!
http://www.sportspages.com/content/blog.php?p=1938&more=1

Very interesting read there. Your statement the other day that I wasn't sure about makes a lot more sense now.

Irrigardless of skin color, racism has no place at a school like MU that has students from all over the world attending.

ChiefsFanatic
03-24-2006, 01:02 AM
If you're talking Walton money, you can see how little it has helped the University lately.....

mmaddog

Well, the Cheating Daughter Arena is really nice...I hear.