PDA

View Full Version : The New Dodge Charger

Carlota69
03-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Seriously considering buying this ride--anyone own one? Any thoughts?
Recommendations?

Bill Lundberg
03-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Rented one for a week last week. It was the base model 3.5 liter v6. I really liked it. I would go with the Hemi just for the extra punch, but the 3.5 liter was adequate. Thinking about getting one myself.

HemiEd
03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
If you like the looks, go for it. They are a good car. I can not get used to the 1963 Studebaker Lark blood lines. Rambler bought Studebaker, then Jeep. Chrysler ended buying what was left of AMC and look at the bastard child they had. :p

Psyko Tek
03-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I love the looks of the mopars

usually retro for us old farts

if nothing else they are different

sedated
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM
I worked at a rental car place that had them.

definitely go for the hemi.

there isn't a hell of a lot of difference between the charger, 300c, and magnum.

but I could never own something named after a divisional rival.

chiefqueen
03-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I worked at a rental car place that had them.

definitely go for the hemi.

there isn't a hell of a lot of difference between the charger, 300c, and magnum.

but I could never own something named after a divisional rival.

Was that you I saw in a Bronco a while back?

recxjake
03-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Seriously considering buying this ride--anyone own one? Any thoughts?
Recommendations?

well atleast your buying american.....

i would wait until next summer... the new chevy camaro is pretty sweet

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=3124

MichaelH
03-23-2006, 05:29 PM
No, it was the new Ford Faider. :)

recxjake
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

sedated
03-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Was that you I saw in a Bronco a while back?

no, i drive a giant steel brown mercedes falcon.

a friend of mine drove a bronco.

he never did figure out who kept slashing his tires and smashing his windows.

Valiant
03-23-2006, 05:35 PM

That is a damn concept, trust me one thing Chevy has been good at the last ten years is taking a awesome looking car and making it look like crap... By the time it hits the production it will look like shit...

recxjake
03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
That is a damn concept, trust me one thing Chevy has been good at the last ten years is taking a awesome looking car and making it look like crap... By the time it hits the production it will look like shit...

haha nope.... the outside is exactly the same as production... they are changing the interior to make it more realistic

morphius
03-23-2006, 05:38 PM
A co-worker has one, he said he likes it a lot.

Thats all I got to say about that.

Hydrae
03-23-2006, 05:42 PM

I think if I want to wait til next year to buy a new car I will look for the new Challenger that is rumored to be out for the 2008 model year. One of those bad boys with a hemi? :drool:

Frazod
03-23-2006, 05:43 PM

The new Challenger BLOWS AWAY the new Camaro. Period. The End. Anybody who's waiting until next year should wait for that. Mustang got the retro thing right, and Challenger perfected it. The Camaro is overblown, IMO, and the front end is just downright butt ugly, especially in person.

As far as the Charger goes, it's one of the options for a rental car when I go to Arizona in a couple of weeks, and hopefully I'll be able to get one. I can't quite reconcile the idea of making it a sedan :spock: and much like the Camaro, the front end design sucks ass, but it would obviously be far more functional than my current car.

Frazod
03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
A co-worker has one, he said he likes it a lot.

Thats all I got to say about that.

Thanks, Forrest. :D

Luzap
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
I think if I want to wait til next year to buy a new car I will look for the new Challenger that is rumored to be out for the 2008 model year. One of those bad boys with a hemi? :drool:

I have always loved the Challenger and I can't wait for it to come out.

The concept photos I saw were great, but I think it will be limited production.

Luz
this thread has reminded me to go tomy local dodge dealer and put my name on the list...

stevieray
03-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I heard that Detroit might be finally pulling it's head out of it ass and bringing back even more retro models, instead of copying the Japanese.

I've read about a Retro Ford van, and a remake of a station wagon.

I'd live to see chevy make a retro of the 65 impala wagon.

The new Challenger is sweeeet.

recxjake
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I heard that Detroit might be finally pulling it's head out of it ass and bringing back even more retro models, instead of copying the Japanese.

I've read about a Retro Ford van, and a remake of a station wagon.

I'd live to see chevy make a retro of the 65 impala wagon.

The new Challenger is sweeeet.

chevy is coming out with a 67 impala in 08

recxjake
03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
The new Challenger BLOWS AWAY the new Camaro. Period. The End. Anybody who's waiting until next year should wait for that. Mustang got the retro thing right, and Challenger perfected it. The Camaro is overblown, IMO, and the front end is just downright butt ugly, especially in person.

As far as the Charger goes, it's one of the options for a rental car when I go to Arizona in a couple of weeks, and hopefully I'll be able to get one. I can't quite reconcile the idea of making it a sedan :spock: and much like the Camaro, the front end design sucks ass, but it would obviously be far more functional than my current car.

im sorry you feel that way.... most people don't agree with you.... in fact GM has pushed the Camaro ahead 1 year due to the overwheliming support for the car

Frazod
03-23-2006, 06:57 PM
im sorry you feel that way.... most people don't agree with you.... in fact GM has pushed the Camaro ahead 1 year due to the overwheliming support for the car

Ah, another expert on what "most people" think. Well, I assume "most people" didn't see both of these vehicles IN PERSON at the same place.

Camaro certainly has more name recognition. Your friend "most people" hears "Camaro" and thinks "sports car." Most people hear "Challenger" and think "space shuttle."

But again, there is no comparison between the new Challenger and the new Camaro. Hell, I own an '05 Mustang, and the Challenger blows that away, too (just not by as wide of a margin). And for the record, the only reason I own a retro Mustang is because the people at Chevy are too stupid to make a comparable retro Chevelle. Why they would pick Camaro over Chevelle to bring back is just... well, retarded.

And I'm not a Dodge guy - I've never owned one.

You're like Donger defending big oil. There are other good cars out there made by other companies. Get over it.

Chan93lx50
03-23-2006, 08:07 PM
If you want a new muscle car go with the 2003 or 2004 Cobra.

Once the 2006 Cobra comes out the prices will go down. But even now you still can get one with low miles around 25,000?

What the hell is so special about that POS Ford anyway, you ask?

To me its the new Grand National, It comes stock with 390 Horses and has a supercharger, If you add a full exhaust, a new pulley, a chip and dont forget the gears these cars are running low 12's and with the right rubber and suspension mods they have been hitting 11's

On a side note if you want naturally aspirated you really cannot go wrong with the 1998-2003 Camaro or Firbird. The LS1 is one bad bitch, its rated at 305 horses, but very very underated more like 330

If I had the cash and wanted to go fast those would be my options.

As for the charger, yes I want one it would make one hell of a family ride. Four doors with a shit load of power, but the only caution I have is Dodges Transmisions are not known to be the best, but you have to pay to play!

I own a 93 Mustang 5.0 liter and 1997 Firbird WS6, am I biased, noooooo I just like to go fast.

sedated
03-23-2006, 08:11 PM

i think your GM avatar,

and the fact that your dad works for GM,

and your constant defense of everything GM,

might affect your credibility just a little.

Frazod
03-23-2006, 08:15 PM
The Cobra is basically my car - with an extra engine. :D

DBroncos4life
03-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Well that camaro isn't a finished car. There is room for changes and its not expected to be a production car till 09. Still its going to be a fast ass car and I can't wait. Even more so if they do drop the Z06 motor in it :drool:

C-Mac
03-23-2006, 08:31 PM

I'am a Camaro guy and I have to agree.
I was hoping for more of a retro look out of the new Camaro... like the new Challenger captured perfectly.

unlurking
03-23-2006, 08:56 PM
That camaro looks more like a cross between a 300m and a Mustang.

For those of us who haven't seen the new Challenger, any links to pics?

Maybe not a 60s - 70s muscle car, but I really liked when Ford came out with the retro T-Bird. Always did like that car.

Frazod
03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
That camaro looks more like a cross between a 300m and a Mustang.

For those of us who haven't seen the new Challenger, any links to pics?

Maybe not a 60s - 70s muscle car, but I really liked when Ford came out with the retro T-Bird. Always did like that car.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

unlurking
03-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks frazod, that really is a beautiful vehicle. I drive about 140 miles a day round trip to work (averaging 20 mph over the limit), I don't think I could afford the tickets in that thing. :(

morphius
03-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Im not sure about the exhaust and the general look of the back of the challenger, but I love the rest of the look. Damn though, 14/20 on the gas millage is a bit brutal on the wallet now-a-days.

Morphius
needs to be rich.

HemiEd
03-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Im not sure about the exhaust and the general look of the back of the challenger, but I love the rest of the look. Damn though, 14/20 on the gas millage is a bit brutal on the wallet now-a-days.

Morphius
needs to be rich.

That is with the 425 HP 392 CI Hemi I believe. I hope they plan on offering a more reasonable engine choice. I have heard the reception has been so favorable from the public that Daimler-Chrysler plans on making a full line offering sooner than originally planned.

Carlota69
03-24-2006, 11:29 AM
I absolutely love the new Challenger. It is HOT! However, my lease is up in 6 months and I don't think it will be available. I think the Camaros look pretty good too, but they wont be available either. I like the new Mustangs, but they don't have enough room for me. What I like about the Charger is it's a 4door hot rod. At my age, I like to have a little more room, but I still want the punch! :p
PLus, everyone I know who owns a Dodge, loves them.

But, if they put out the Challenger in 6 months, I would seriously consider it, even though its a 2 door.

Thanks for the input guys!

morphius
03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
That is with the 425 HP 392 CI Hemi I believe. I hope they plan on offering a more reasonable engine choice. I have heard the reception has been so favorable from the public that Daimler-Chrysler plans on making a full line offering sooner than originally planned.
Of course it is, but could you really buy that and buy the 6 cyl? If they can sneak a 300HP 6 in there, maybe, but a Hemi, mmmm.

Its pretty funny, my Dad has a Hemi Ram and when my son was learning to talk my Dad took him out to see the engine so he could teach him to say "Hemi", like the commercial. Well, now my folks are known as Grandma and Grandpa Hemi.

Demonpenz
03-24-2006, 11:58 AM
My friends went down to bartle hall to check the new camaro. It is awesome.I think the challenger is ugly. MY friends who are all in their 20's agree that the camaro is the best retro car out there. Better than than the new ford probe they call the mustang